Vinh Loi Tofu

818-996-9779

18625 Sherman Way Ste 101, Reseda, California, USA, 91335

Small Vietnamese cafe serving a variety of food, from hot soups, fried tofu, and spring rolls to noodles, rice, sandwiches, and curry. Tofu and soymilk are made onsite. Sells refrigerated food including mock meats, tofu, soymilk, desserts. Quick service. Parking lot in front. Open Mon-Sat 10:00am-9:00pm, Sun 11:00am-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan, Fast food, Take-out, Vietnamese

First Review by lasquizee

vegan valley staple - Edit

I read some of the reviews about rude service and such . Been here many times and I have to disagree. The owner "TofuRobot" is extremely friendly and nice , just not in the peppy cheerleader , Jamba Juice overwhelm you when you walk in the door type of way. He's a real dude who makes bomb food and serves you up new secret menu dishes. Never disappoints. He's pretty funny too if you understand his sense of humor. BBQ Duck Fried Rice, lemongrass Chicken plate, and Curry meatball Banh Mi are all top notch. The hype is real

Great service and food. - Edit

This was my first time eating tofu and faux meat and I thought it was great. Amazing service and the place was packed. The prices were decent and I will come back to try more dishes.

Pros: food and service

Cons: I would have liked to see more fresh herbs in my r

Disappointed - Edit

We read so many great reviews for this restaurant and we couldn't wait to eat there. We did last night and were very disappointed. The Spicy Garlic Fish's texture was so soggy and mushy, I couldn't eat it. The sliced tomato that came with it was not ripe - it was hard with no flavor. The other items we ordered were okay, but not great. The service was the worst though. It wasn't very busy, but we could not get the waitress to return to our table, or even glance in our direction, after delivering the meal. We tried to get her attention, but she just wasn't interested. I had to walk up to the counter twice, once to get a sauce for the Tuna Rolls and once to get the check. We won't be back.

Pros: It's a vegan restaurant

Cons: Service was not good, The food was okay but disappointing

Rude Service - Edit

Last night was my first and last time going to this restaurant. Look, I understand that restaurants get busy and overwhelming but when the owner treats me like I am a bother instead of a person interested in trying out his restaurant there is a problem. The owner was very short in tone and not personable at all.
You would think as an owner, one would be excited to have people showing up to try out what they have worked so hard to create.

Top address in the San Fernando Valley - Edit

It is definitely not a cozy restaurant with great light and hipster stuff. Its more like a bistro...but....the food taste sooo good. Great dishes with fresh vegetables, fantastic spiced Tofu and a great service. The owner is so nice. You have to go there! I highly recommend it!

The best vegan food, period. - Edit

This is one of those rare places where I as a lacto-ovo vegetarian don't miss the dairy at all. Not one bit. In fact, I could quite confidently say that if I had a place like Vinh Loi Tofu near me, I'd be that much more likely to go full vegan.

The food is classic vietnamese at it's best - bright, fresh and full of flavor. The meat substitutes are excellent (try the smoky duck bbq sub!), and it's relatively inexpensive for what you get.

If you are in the LA area this is simply a must visit if you happen to like asian food in the slightest.

Pros: Excellent vegan selection, Utterly delicious food, Great prices

Cons: A little bit out of the way, Small café can get crowded at times

Just remodeled (August 2016), more seating - Edit

I've loved Vinh Loi for the last two years after my cardiologist recommended it. Stunning food. Kevin makes his own tofu and delivers faux meat and seafood with the best. Dives like this are why you live in the LA area-- great food, inexpensive, and really unique.

Pros: The food is amazing. Unique tofu recipes. , Friendly family run local business, Great value. Two entrees + tea for $23.

great food! - Edit

I have a few favorites here (udon bbq duck and curry soup) and the dishes that are good are really good and the others are mediocre, I've found. Great little spot in the valley!

Pros: all vegan (hopefully they'll stay that way), in th

Cons: pricy, the place is too small and quiet to the poi

Vinh Loi - Edit

The food here is really good but seriously overpriced. Vegans beware, make sure to ask if everything you're getting is vegan.
Updated from previous review on Friday April 08, 2016

Updated from previous review on Friday April 08, 2016

Pros: Lots of flavor

Cons: overpriced, unwelcoming staff

Flavorful Soups - Edit

I had read first about this place on happycow, and have eaten here many times over the years. Here's my Vinh Loi Tofu review update.

Whenever I am in the mood for Vietnamese pho noodle soup and Asian hot soups, I think of Vinh Loi. It's a little family owned and operated restaurant and store. Seating is limited, though I've seen many customers eat rather quickly and leave or they take food to-go.

The soup bowls are large and filled with an assortment of faux meats like faux beef, faux shrimp, etc, and most with a type of noodle. You can ask the owner, Kevin, to make your bowl with more veggies instead of the faux meats. He will be happy to arrange that.

The store part of the store consists of a refrigerated section of fresh soymilk, tofu, and an assortment of mockmeats. There is also an area for dried sauces and noodles. All the tofu and soymilk are made on the premises.

I especially like the fried tofu cubes, the hot noodles soups, the stir fried noodle, and the spring rolls (stuffing vary from tofu to vege ham).

Pros: good flavors, large portions

so yummy!! - Edit

I love everything about this delicious vegan restaurant. The staff is very friendly they have memorized my order so they know what to start making right when I walk in! I would highly recommend eating here and try eating the chicken curry!

No longer vegan - Edit

I can't believe a place thst claims to be 100% vegan & presumably always would be now carries drinks containing cows milk for his "meat eating" clients. What's next? So disappointed. After finding out that Streets of India Cafe now serves meat we decided to leave and head over to Vinh Loi Tofu, as always the food was amazing. We also missed the lunch rush and Kevin was very friendly and happy to help. I love how consistently amazing the food always is no matter what you order and that he has made a commitment to stay true to always staying Vegan! I have been to Vinh Loi twice, both times Kevin "the owner" was not the guy everyone makes him out to be, he told us both times we should have ordered ahead for his convienence or at least thats what it felt like, service aside the food is amazing and the fun little extras he sells are worth the trip all by themselves, the house special soup is addicting, nice and spicy, very fresh, and huge portions. they do make there own tofu and its amazing, you get 5 generous pieces of fried tofu for only $1.25 and its delicious, especially the lemongrass & chili. Everything is so fresh and will not weigh you down. Perhaps we just caught Kevin on a bad couple of days, most people seem to think hes incredible.

Cons: No longer vegan, Sell products with Dairy

Fantastic! - Edit

Honestly, I was a little skeptical when we pulled up outside as the exterior is a bit sketchy. But glad that didn't deter us because once inside we discovered the restaurant is clean, comfortable and homey. The food is fantastic, reasonably priced for the generous portions and the owner is very personable and helpful.
I loved the udon noodles with the freshly made tofu and my only very recently vegetarian husband enjoyed the selection of creative house made mock meats.
Excited to go back soon and try a few more dishes from the incredibly extensive menu.

amazing food! - Edit

Tofu heaven found in Reseda. The food is simply delicious and the place is low key and cozy. The tofu duck is pretty amazing. My personal favorite is the bbq tofu duck filled steamed buns. They are my new obsession. Owner operated and that just makes it all the better.

Pros: non gmo soy used . delicious and affordable

no vegies - Edit

I was so disappointed with this place. I arrived at a busy lunch hour, the owner was short with me. I asked for any dish with lots of veggies more than anything else. When the dish came I told the server he had the wrong table. All I saw was some beefy fake meat stuff and noodles. When he brought it to the owner he said it was the right dish and sent it back to me.He said the vegetables were on the bottom. I lifed the nnodles and saw a few pieces of iceberg lettuce and a few slices of raw zucchini. I left it untouched and paid for it. Never again and I don't think $11.00 for this is cheap. I'd give it one cow but the system won't let me.

Pros: no meat

Cons: too much fake meat

Very good, authentic and cheap food - Edit

I have been here a couple of times and the food is always fresh and tasty. The owner is very involved and attentive and very helpful in choosing from the extensive menu. They have a pretty good selection of desserts as well. 100% vegan. Best bahn mi I have ever had, btw.

Best. Vegan. Ever. - Edit

What can I say? As a former carnivore I thought that the chicekn wings here were as good as those I used to eat at Hooters!. Really. Sorry that I have to admit that most 'meaty' foods taste better to the Western palate but honestly I've taken an equivocal approach to most vegan eateries and thus judged them on an independent scale.Not so here. The wings had just the right amount of spice and zip and really had a true 'meaty' mouth feel.

The tofu was out of this world. I can see why people come from out of state and literally freeze dry this stuff to take home with them for long term use.

While its not the largest restaurant in the world(ha ha) Kevin the proprietor WENT out of his way to make my family happy on a busy weekend evening. Although the wait was really not long at all(maybe 15 minutes) Kevin came out and offered the above wings free to My little kiddos even though we were happily waiting with waters and menus in hand. EXCEPTIONAL SERVICE-He took a "mi casa es su casa" attitude toward our party and really made us feel truly at home. As an Asian American I've been embarrassed by the terrible service that is unfortunately often the norm at Asian eateries. Vinh Loi is a happy exception to that rule.

Price was reasonable as well. We got out for about $50 for 3 adults and 2 kiddos which while high compared to a regular Asian dive like Sam Woo's or your typical Viet Pho place is a completely different ballgame here.

Pros: Food, Service, Value

Cons: NONE!

Excellent - Will Come Back - Edit

Visited once after friends recommended. Great food - the three of us really enjoyed the food and the friendly service. Then I bought fresh tofu to take home and happily cooked (cubed, fried and served over fresh salad!). Will definitely go back.
Updated from previous review on Tuesday June 16, 2009
Just to say, we keep going there on a very regular basis and we love this place, Kevin and his family. The food is great and this place is very friendly. I eat mostly the #1 soup and the tofu salad, though everything else we had there is awesome too.

Pros: Tasty, Cheap, Fresh Tofu

Return to Reseda Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Vinh Loi Tofu closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.