Vegetarian Service

+852-25295228

Shop 58, Tower 2, Admiralty Centre, 18 Harcourt Rd, Admiralty, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong, China

護生惜福 is a mostly vegan Cantonese take away shop. Sells cake containing egg. Nearest MTR, Admiralty exit A. Open Mon-Fri 8:00am-8:00pm, Sat 12:00pm-3:00pm.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Ovo, Chinese, Fast food, Take-out

First Review by DarraghMadden

Great for a quick, take-away Chinese lunch in Admiralty - Edit

The first time I went here, it was a little tricky to find this place; however, if you get lost, you can ask at one of the desks and they will point you in the right direction.

I have worked in this area for many years and have lunch from here a few times a week. You can choose from white rice, white and red rice or millet. They usually have one or two chinese veggie stews and one green vegetable dish (gai lan, choy sum or bok choy). They also have pieces of texturised soya/mock meat in various forms that you can add, if you want to.

It is cheap (usually between HKD 30-50, depending on how much you eat); vegan (double check the noodles); the people that work here are kind and well-natured (e.g. I forgot my wallet once and didn't have time to run back to my office to get it. They let me pay the following time and had even forgotten about the whole incident); quick (usually less than 5 minutes queuing time); relatively healthy (I never feel heavy or sick after eating here and you can choose to have more or less veg); and you can bring your own reusable container which they will be happy to fill up and you even save a dollar for doing so!

Downside is that there is no seating and the food is simple rather than exceptional/delicious. I prefer some of the stews more than others. It is fine for my daily lunch (I wouldn't make a special trip here for the food).

They start serving from around 11.30am and it is best to arrive before 1.30pm when they start to run out of mains.

Note also that the queue is longer on the two Buddhist vegetarian days of the month - you will need extra queuing time on those days.

Updated from previous review on 2015-05-24

Pros: Cheap, Friendly staff, Quick

Cons: No seating, Simple food

vegetarian service - Edit

this was my first time patronising the store, as there's always almost nothing left when i peek from outside after 2 pm. even then, there weren't many options when i went around 12.30 (i don't know if that's the norm or if other food had been sold out) so greedy me tried everything i could see (except for the fried and steamed mock meats) - fried rice, leafy veg, and some kind of gourd(?) with long beans and mock meat.

my meal cost $47, the lady took pains to explain, because of the fried rice (which was good and packed with lots of ingredients). white rice would have been much cheaper - a meal would set you back around 30ish.

overall it was a simple yet fulfilling meal. it felt home-cooked (kind of like cs vegan), and was flavourful without being too salty (blander - in a good way - and not as greasy as kam heung). my only gripe is that the food wasn't as hot as i'd preferred. the lady and her two friends were warm, friendly and smiley, chatting with me about my pretty bowl, what they served for breakfasts, and even wishing me "merry christmas" as i left (it was on 23 dec). i left the encounter with a good vibe.

breakfast starts from 8 am - rice noodles, cheung fun, etc, with optional veggies.

takeaway only - bring your own container and utensils if you can.

i'm giving it three stars because there's nothing "wow" about it, and i wouldn't make a trip here just for the food, but i'd recommend it if you're looking for a vegetarian meal in admiralty (it's the only truly vegetarian place in admiralty).

Updated from previous review on 2016-12-25

Pros: warm, friendly staff, good vibes, simple, homecooked food, the only vegetarian eatery in admiralty

Cons: food could be warmer (esp as it's takeaway)

Vegetarian Service, Hong Kong - Edit

Update to this is they now sell cake made with egg.

Updated from previous review.

I grabbed lunch from here a couple of weeks ago. It's a small take away only place. I was there around 11.45 and from the way they seemed to be gearing up I got the impression they were expecting to be busy. I asked what to avoid re milk products, egg produce and honey. I was given the all clear on them all including the noodles being egg free (yee ha).

I walked away with a ton of food (enough to cover lunch and evening meal). The lady said to me it was 73 bucks but knocked it down to 70. I offered 80 and said to keep the change. They wouldn't accept the tip unless I put it into the charity jar that they have. Absolute class.

I'd be delighted to eat from here again.

Updated from previous review on Tuesday September 09, 2014

Pros: Vegan friendly, Great people, Bargain priced tasty food

Fast Food Veggies - Edit

Came here today at about 11 15. Not much choice on offer as they were still preparing for the lunch but for 32 dollars,I got heaps of rice noodle with veg and tofu and broccoli greens..good value and I was filled and it tasted great

Pros: Good Value

Cons: Limited Options

Return to Hong Kong Island Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Vegetarian Service closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.