Vege Fast Food

Contact +385-996632236

Nadhodnik B.B., Split, Croatia,

Veggie fast food in the city center near green market. Makes vegetables, basmati rice, integral pasta, veggie burger, soya steak, tofu and seitan sandwiches, burrito, pancakes, fruit salad, juice, and ice tea. Open late Apr to Sep. Closes at 4pm out of peak season - please inform HappyCow of exat dates. Remains open until midnight on busy nights in high summer. Mon-Sat 9:00am-11:00pm Open late Apr-Sep.

Category: Vegan, Organic, Western, Fast food, Juice bar, Delivery, Take-out, Croatian

First Review by LauraEdwards

Fast but nice - Edit

Yep it's fast and the menu is varied enough that you can give them a return visit if you are in town for a few days. What I ordered wasn't fancy and the presentation could have been better but I got what I ordered and for a fair price.

cheap and cheerful - Edit

Not gourmet by any means but you won't leave disappointed. I had quinoa with veg and seitan and my boyfriend had basmati rice with deep fried tofu. Both were yummy and hearty meals. It's great that there's an all vegan option in Split!

Pros: yummy, healthy, friendly

Ok - Edit

It's really nice to find some vegan food in Croatia. Croatia is hell for vegans, pure agonizing hell. So here you will find some real food. Now the food is good, but not very good and the ladies working there are probably not vegan and that shows and I could feel it. The love is somehow missing, even though I gotta say that me girlfriend Vegoline liked them. I hope they will put more love in the food.

disappointed / siomedig - Edit

What a shame - this place could be a great place in the centre of touristy Split. But the food we ordered was very poor, it seemed the vegetables and quinoa had been sitting out for a while before she fried them in front of us.
For what you get, the price is expensive.
I hope the place was just having a bad day, but we will not be recommending this place to vegan or vegetarian friends visiting Split.

Pros: it's a vegan place, has some gluten free options

Cons: expensive for what you get, poor quality

mistake - Edit

we are open from 01 05 to 01 11 to us ordinary fast food and cafe bar called stairs, and these people did not eat with us because we were doing and we do not serve meat because we are vegans and sell only vegan food and people make mistakes and enter the wrong fast food and give us the wrong comments so please make a good look at where you enter and comments that give right was commented on in a time when we open thanks and well see where you enter thanks a lot

bad - Edit

Ordered a falafel wrap. Good option if you wish to punish yourself with a falafel wrap made by people who have never heard of hummus. Bad option if you enjoy flavour/taste.

No evidence of the bottles of sauce mentioned by other reviewers here either.

Pros: Was edible , Provided calories

Cons: Falafel was burnt , Tortilla tasted of old sunflower oil , disgusting

Fast food for a hurry - Edit

Vege is a good option if you're looking for fast vegan food without the worries of eating in a place where they also serve meat like most other fast food joints in the area.

Cons: Not so healthy, Somewhat pricey

4+ - Edit

I went there two days in a row -On first day, I ordered seitan burger. It was so great! Really yumm! (Pst, use sweet chilli sauce!)
And second time, I ordered rice with salsa and some seitan on the side. I was quite dissapointed.. too much oil and it was dry ugh. If you myb have a chance to visit Vege Fast Food, I suggest you to buy burgers or burritos. Other food looks good only on menu!

Pros: friendly staff, big portions, great burgers

Cons: messy kitchen, some foods are too dry

Fresh and organic +HOW TO FIND IT - Edit

This cozy eatery cooks fresh, organic ingredients right in front of you, and then you can add your choice of sauces from the bottles on the counter. There's enough variety on the menu that most people should be able to find something that pleases them.

Best of all on a hot day: freshly squeezed orange juice at very reasonable prices by European standards.

The woman working on my visits was very kind, warm, and helpful.

NOTE: This place can be hard to find. It isn't in the veggie market itself, but rather in a narrow alley just near the corner of the two streets nearby (Poljana Kneza Trpimira and Zlodrina Poljana). Standing on the NW corner of that intersection, look NW for the steps leading up to the alley (see photo).

Don't forget to use one of the sauces - Edit

I ate here with my family once in August, 2015. We had just arrived by train from Hungary. When I first saw the open kitchen, my first reaction was to walk away and to buy some fresh stuff on the nearby market instead. My first impression wasn't so good, because of the chaotic kitchen. It didn't seem very hygienic to me, and I didn't want to start my vacation with a food poisoning. However, I took the risk. We ordered two tofu burgers and a tortilla with vegetables. The tofu slices were big and they were fried just enough, so they weren't burned. The taste depended mostly on the extra sauce that one can choose from the counter. There were about 20 bottles with different sauces. If you don't add any of these sauces, then your food might taste a bit bland. The vegetables which were used, looked very fresh. I think they were bought on the nearby market.
The lady who made our sandwiches was friendly. My small child liked her burger. I was satisfied with mine.
All in all I think it's a good initiative. They could earn much more selling regular meat hamburger.
Updated from previous review on Saturday August 29, 2015

Updated from previous review on Saturday August 29, 2015

Pros: Ingredients looked fresh, Large portions

Cons: Unsure hygiene

disappointed - Edit

After all the good reviews we thought it would be really nice, but the food was really not exceptional, and for Split, it was really expensive (for the same price you can have a real "gastronomic" vegan meal in a restaurant). It was not tasty, just super simple.
More than that, the guy making food was really not nice, maybe the staff has changed? A couple was hesitating on the meal they wanted to eat. Suddenly, the guy cooking just said "ok bye bye", and then turned himself to another person to ask what she wanted (and it was far to be crowded, he had time!). The couple laughed because they thought he was joking. And he just responded "I'm serious, bye bye"... We were so chocked that we suddenly lost our appetite. I really do not recommend, except if the staff changes !

AMAZING!!!! - Edit

love this little take away in split! easy to access, good value for money and great quality. food was so tasty, couldnt be happier. great portion size and friendly service! everything cooked fresh in front of you, lots of fresh salad added! i recommend their soy steak and it has a great wall full of notes from vegans and vegetarians all over the world! must go when in split!

Amazing place! - Edit

Was really delighted to have found this place, it was the only vegan eatery open in Split on a Saturday night. After a week of not having been able to get tofu or meat substitutes anywhere in Dalmatia, I could eat my heart out at this place, which offers a great variety of vegan foods, including seitan and soya steaks, served with quinoa, burrito, mushrooms or other things (I had a seitan tortilla).

The food is very healthy, even though it is called 'fast food', you just get a lot of vegetables and protein stuff. It is also cheap (less than 4 euros for the tortilla).

The owner is a really friendly guy, he explained to me that the place is closed in winter because the vegetables then cannot grow outside and are thus twice as expensive, making it unprofitable. Explains why some other reviwers found it closed.

Highly recommended :)

Really nice small place! - Edit

Very friendly staff. Good food that will be made while you wait. Can take a little time if there is a line as they only have one chef and depends on what you order. Really liked this place, it is located at the stalls by the green market.

Pros: Good food, Friendly , All vegan

Quick and easy - Edit

I got a falafel tortilla from here. Was good, the salad wasn't just your average thing because of the presence of rocket/arugula. The falafel balls were just chickpea balls without any spice which tasted good but was just not what I expected. Cheap and prepared pretty quickly. Great for something on the go.

Pros: Really cheap!

Cons: Falafel balls weren't really falafel

simple & fast - Edit

the restaurant, a cozy place with few bar tables invites with yummie vegetarian dishes. there is no haute cuisine, rathter simple dishes. the selection is quite good for this part of the world. the food is ok, definitely a good alterantive to the mainstream restaurants.
price level acceptable compared to many other places in Split.

Pros: vegan food, fast service

vege fast food - Edit

I wanted to like this place. The first time I went they were closed, so I returned the next day in the afternoon to see if they were open. Now they are only open 10AM-6PM. I decided to eat lunch elsewhere and return there for dinner. I thought they closed at 5PM, so I went at 4:30PM which was much too early for me for dinner, since I had a big lunch. I got the seitan burrito with grilled vegetables; the burrito can come with either seitan or tofu and grilled or fresh vegetables - the fresh vegetables are salad vegetables. I took it to go and had a few bites, so I could see what it was like when it was hot. I then left it in my room for later. After a few hours, I returned and ate it at which time it was just warm, but still tasty. However, shortly after eating it unfortunately, my stomach hurt. I don't believe it was because I didn't eat it immediately, as I don't think the grilled vegetables or seitan should have gone bad, although they sat out in my room for two and a half hours before I ate them. I think perhaps the eggplant had not been prepared correctly, as I have previously gotten sick from eggplant that had not been cooked properly. It's really a shame. Maybe it was an off day but I'm not sure that I would go again, but if I were to go again, I would probably not try the eggplant.
Update: I removed my review, because I thought the problem was with gluten, but then found out I have no problem eating gluten.

Great vegan food - Edit

Delicious food, made fresh as you order (you watch them cook it!). All food is vegan. Convenient location close to the centre of Split. Suitable for lunch or dinner. Many options available and reasonably priced.

Great Find! - Edit

Just when I thought I'd never find a nice veggie restaurant in Croatia, this place comes along, hidden down a little side street with a menu full of veggie delights. It's not that expensive and the staff are friendly...what more could you ask for?
Updated from previous review on Tuesday August 27, 2013

Pros: Cheap, Friendly, Great Food

Good Fast Food - Edit

It's a little hard to find, but the vege sign is a welcome relief amongst the numerous other fast food restaurants.
Had the burrito with seitan and it was quite tasty. Basically just grilled veggies and seitan in a wrap. Relatively cheap too!

Pros: fast, yum

Cons: hard to find

awesome - Edit

It was - as the name would suggest - very fast vegetarian food. Very good indeed. We had vege burgers, tofu sandwiches and a tofu burrito washed down with freshly squeezed orange juice. All lovely.sstaff very helpful.

Pros: big potions, helpful staff

Cons: not many seats...it is fast food.

Great grilled veggies! - Edit

This place is very conveniently located, has friendly staff that speaks English and has good and cheap food! I tried the couscous + grilled veggies and the seitan sandwich, both were delicious.

Food is done in 5-10 minutes and the place is open until 24.00!

Pros: Good food, The grilled veggies, Cheap

BEST SOYA STEAKS EVER!! - Edit

This is BY FAR the BEST Vegan fast food place I have ever eaten at! I tried Seitan for the first time (ashamedly) but I'm glad I did because Vege Fast Food makes the most delicious burritos and meals. I've never tasted a soya steak SO GOOD in my life! Everyone would be so impressed by this new eatery! I beg you, if you are in Croatia, GO HERE! :)
We researched two other places but they didn't even compare to Vege Fast Food :)

Pros: Seitan burritos, SOYA STEAKS, Friendly People

Cons: NOTHING

Return to Split Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Vege Fast Food closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 9527 times since Jun 2013.