Veganized

Contact 732-342-7412

9 Spring St, New Brunswick, New Jersey, USA, 08901

Opened April 2015, this cafe offers a modern interpretation of vegan cuisine in a cirque aesthetic atmosphere. Everything made in-house, including cashew cheese and sweet potato buns. Serving wraps, sandwiches, entrees, and dessert. Weekend brunch. Upstairs seating available. Fair trade organic coffee. Open Mon-Sun 11:00am-9:30pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Organic, Take-out, Fusion

First Review by saraswatidasi

Favorite New Restaurant - Edit

This place is one of the best vegan spots I've been to, including Philly and NYC. My wife and I have tried about 10 menu items and every one of them was well cooked and flavorful.

The staff is very friendly and you can tell that the servers and chefs are all passionate about their restaurant. It's clean and in a good location, but it may take a few minutes to park.

The best praise I can give is that we went three times in less than three weeks.

Updated from previous review on 2016-12-27

Pros: Delicious food, Menu items that are hard to find, Incredibly friendly staff

Very expensive but good food - Edit

$16 for a burger and $2 extra for cheese making it $18 for a burger! I mean this place is expensive !!
I also felt that they put too much oil in their food.
But I liked the taste overall.

Pros: Tasty food, Good variety

Cons: Very expensive, Food is a bit too oily

Overall very nice - Edit

Seating area is a little cramped but it's a city so what can you expect? I liked the atmosphere here. The food was very good and well presented, but most items on the menu contain mushrooms and neither I nor my partner like mushrooms. So I'm sure the food would be fantastic for someone who does! Overall a nice place but not for us.

Pros: good food

Cons: but mushroomy

Great food, but... - Edit

My family really likes the food here, especially the Mackin Cheeze and desserts. Service is friendly, if a tad slow. But the parking in downtown New Brunswick is near impossible. Veganized is also pricey for casual dining. And the biggest drawback for us is the creepy old-time circus pictures all over the restaurant. Sepia-toned contortionists, clowns, and Siamese twins, oh my. Creeeeeepy.

Excellent with wonderful service! - Edit

Best vegan mac and cheese I've ever had and enormous portions. Ambience is very casual and really not that great but the food more than makes up for it. The servers were so helpful explaining the menu to non-vegans.

Proceed with Caution - Edit

First the food and service were very good. Everything was so fresh and organic. I had the lentil burger and it melted in your mouth. Portions are huge, including the side salad and they are very generous with the dressing (most vegan places you have to ask for "more dressing."). They have several flavors of Kevita kombucha and -- and organic coffee.

Now, the down side ... There is no parking on premises and you have to park on the street. I had to interrupt my meal and go out twice to put quarters in the meter.

Their his/hers bathroom only fit one person, so in order not to get a parking ticket, I had to skip the bathroom and drive 30 minutes back to my home holding my pee.

Upstairs, where you dine is very tight. Tables are on top of each other. You have to talk loud to be heard and it feels like tables were competing with conversation. The music was excellent, but too loud.

The weirdest thing is that you have to go downstairs to pay for your meal, which really took away from the luxury of being served. It's nice when a waitress takes your card or money for you. So it felt a little like self service, which took away from the dining experience.

Also, this is really bad, they have infused water -- with strawberries, and I am allergic to strawberries. I broke out in hives and told the manager. He just apologized and that was the best he could do. Not cool. I told him I was going to give him a "two star" review on Yelp and he didn't seem to care.

I do not think I'll come back.

Pros: Delicious Food, Organic, Vegan

Cons: Too noisy, Not specific about allergy foods, Owner not cool

Very good vegan food made with love - Edit

I've been here a few times and each time I've enjoyed eating there. The wait staff can be hit or miss when it comes to giving your attentive service but they're always friendly and the food comes quick once your order is placed. The burger has an excellent taste though I wish the onions and tomatoes were sliced thinner so it was easier to eat. But the flavor is on-point. The sauteed kale is great. It appears that everything here is homemade and made with great care and love. The cost is on the higher side but as they say "you get what you pay for" and you're getting top notch, high quality food. It's healthy and doesn't sacrifice taste to be so. The cashew cheese with the sweet potatoes wedges is great. All-in-all it's a great place to eat and possibly the best vegan spot in all of NJ. I keep going back wanting to try all the new things on their menu.

Pros: Healthy food full of flavor, Passionate owner, Great menu

Cons: A little expensive, Wait staff can forget about you on occasion

One of my favorite restaurants EVER! - Edit

I stopped in while driving through town and wanted to order everything on their huge menu! The four things I got were all mouth-watering AMAZING!!! The owner works right behind the counter and is so friendly! I wish I lived close enough to be a regular.

very tasty - Edit

had the lentil burger - great texture, even better taste. it's too juicy and saucy to pick up and eat on the bun, but so worth it. followed up with coffee - very well brewed, and a slice of "cheese" cake. everything is made from scratch by a very competent chef and you can taste the skill.

Pros: extensive menu, all weekend brunch menu

Delicious and Friendly! - Edit

I convinced some omni friends to have a meal with me here and they haven't stopped talking about how much they liked the food since! There was construction going on down the street so it initially was a little harder to find on foot, but was definitely well worth the effort of tracking down.
To start, we were served mint and strawberry infused water which was very tasty. They have a number of vegan beverages to choose from, including juices and an organic root beer! My friend had the portabello burger which was seasoned extremely well and came on a soft bun. He has been asking when we can go back and try more things there since. I had the tempeh reuben sandwich which was equally delicious with a vegan russian dressing and sauerkraut to finish it. It was served with sweet potato wedges and a cashew cream sauce to dip them in. My boyfriend had a side of shoestring fries and enjoyed those as well, but he definitely loved the portabello burger as well.
Our waiter was also extremely friendly and the experience as a whole was very good. We will definitely be coming back and adding Veganized into our "eating out rotation". (:

Pros: delicious food, reasonable price, friendly staff

Cons: limited seating, hard to find

delicious - Edit

We planned to stop at Veganized on a road trip to Boston. The food was delicious and the service was friendly and helpful. They pay a lot of attention to detail which comes through in everything from the infused water to the homemade cashew cream sauce on their flatbread.
We had a wrap, a flatbread, a sandwich and fries that were all yummy. When we told them we were traveling, they quickly packaged up our dessert so we could enjoy it later. Also, considering that it's a holiday, we appreciated that they could keep us moving along.

Pros: delicious food, variety of choices, friendly staff

Cons: the dining room is upstairs.

BEST vegan restaurant ever! - Edit

I have eaten at vegan restaurants up and down the east coast and Veganized has by far surpassed them all. From atmosphere, to excellent service, incredible food and ambiance, it truly was worth every penny. I had the Deluxe burger with sweet potato fries and the bananarama and my boyfriend has the mackin cheeze and bananarama and we literally scraped our plates. I can't recommend this place enough, you will not be disappointed.

Pros: Customer service , Quality and value, Friendliness

Cons: Really busy on Saturday night so make reservations

Gourmet Vegan Food - love it - Edit

We have been there twice and not disappointed. Very different ingredients but they work. We went for their special Thanksgiving menu. 5 courses and loved all of them. It's a ride for us but a good half way place to meet some friends.

Pros: Unique menu items , Friendly staff

Cons: Pricey

Vegan Gem Spring St Surprise! - Edit

I brought my non-Vegan Mom and a meat eating friend both wowed by the flavorful vegan food.

Mom is in a wheelchair so the excellent staff brought down tables and chairs for us.

The French fries are outstanding -- nice and crispy. I had the vegan burger and Mom and friends shared Falfull and were very pleased.

All around great customer service, clean and fun including the bathroom.

Pros: excellent service, flavorful food, great fries

Ridiculously delicious! - Edit

This is by far the BEST vegan restaurant I have ever eaten at! Everything is made from scratch down to the bread. Had the rawvioli appetizer absolutely delicious, the Fall in Love flat bread OMG and where do I begin with the deluxe burger holy you know what. It is off the charts. By far the BEST veggie burger I have ever had. My non-vegan husband's eyes lit up when he took his first bite. Whoever decides who has the best veggie burger in the country or world needs to try it. It's a winner!

WOW - Edit

Veganized is incredible. The flavors of the food are off the charts. I really liked the fact that they don't do much vegan imitation -- they do have a lentil burger (which is AMAZING) and a bowl of mac n cheese, but everything is made in house of whole food ingredients. I ordered the Colors of Fall (charred corn polenta, herb pinto bean sauce, roasted corn parsnips and brussel sprouts, pesto, cashew sour cream, toasted pumpkin seeds) which was delicious, and they even gave me a little taste of an appetizer with oyster mushrooms that was also wonderful.

If you go here, DO NOT SKIP DESSERT.

If I'm ever in New Brunswick again, this is going to be the only place I eat. Period.

Pros: Whole food ingredients, Charming staff

Cons: Sit-down restaurant prices for what looks like a t

BEST LUNCH I'VE EVER HAD and I'm only newly vegan! - Edit

The brothers from Brooklyn are in New Brunswick and not only do they have amazing service and a cool atmosphere, everything I ate and drank was to LIVE FOR! I had the flatbread Philly and Mango Kombucha (fermented tea which El, the owners brother, was nice enough to offer to tell me the benefits of and which would help me start out). I'm going to make weekly trips to VEGANIZED to treat myself! Also it's the only vegan RESTAURANT in the area! They have a dining room too. Spread the world. PS: Cashew cheese is DELICIOUS

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, nice vibe

We hit a goldmine with this one - Edit

We chose New Brunswick, NJ as a midway point to meet a friend and found Veganized on Happy Cow. We're very thankful for the previous reviews which led us to choose Veganized. We absolutely loved it. The food is excellent and so is the service. Even the water, infused with mint and strawberries, is worthy of mention! My friend and I had delicious salads, my husband went for the mac & "cheese," and we all enjoyed an appetizer of crystal rolls. Everything was delicious and lovingly prepared. If you live nearby or are passing through, this place should not be missed. If you travel by train, it's a few minute walk from the station.

Pros: Nice atmosphere, Friendly staff (and customers), Excellent food

Cons: Too far away from me!

Hands Down My Favorite Restaurant - Edit

This is the best restaurant I have ever been to. I had a nonveg friend try it out too and he loved it. The staff is super friendly and very helpful. The menu has a lot of weird ingredients, but your waiter or waitress will easily explain it to you. Once you try the burger, you will be in love. Every dish is just a party in my mouth. I would go to Veganized more if I had the money, but I might just go once a week if I had someone to go with. I wish it was less expensive so my nonveg friends won't be so turned off on trying it out, but once you do, you'll be in love. The environment is also amazing. I love the look, style, and music. They do take out and delivery, but I prefer to stay for the full experience. Trust me when I say, this is the best restaurant in New Brunswick.

Pros: Excellent Food, Friendly Staff, Nice Vibe

Cons: Cost (Still Worth It Though)

EXCELLENT EVERYTHING - Edit

Excellent food, excellent service, excellent atmosphere. I have been looking forward to this place for months, ever since I heard about it. My husband was teasing me that I should not have such high expectations, but they have totally met my expectations.

p.s. Don't let the Transformers-type lettering of the name of the place fool you. There is nothing robotic about it. Everything is wholesome and fresh, and made with a certain consciousness behind it.

Return to New Brunswick Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Veganized closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.