Veg Out

Contact 075-7481124

west side of Shichijyo-Bride of The Kamo River, Kyoto, Japan, 600-8133

River facing restaurant directly across the bridge from Shichijo urban rail station. All vegan starters, mains, desserts, alcoholi & non-alcoholic drinks. Open Tue 11:30am-6:00pm, Wed-Sun 11:30am-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan, Japanese, Macrobiotic, Organic, Western, Fast food, Juice bar, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Bakery

First Review by Nancy Cadet

Riverside gem - if only we had it back home... - Edit

This restaurant is very close to the Kyoto station and it happened to be a few minutes away from our rented apartment - such great karma we had! :) It truly has everything we wish for in a restaurant - coziness, delicious and authentic food, dedicated staff and unique style. We went there twice during our stay and were extremely satisfied with the lunch and dinner sets, together with some mouthwatering appetizers. With its magical river view and serene atmosphere, it just can't get any better. A true must!

Pros: unique vegan dishes, river view, beautiful setting

Cons: none :)

Good food that's all - Edit

I don't like leaving negative reviews but I was not satisfied with it for what I paid... when we walked in the waitress even tried to turn us away saying that all the tables were reserved (we should have walked away then), luckily 2 tables got up to pay as she said that. Overall, the food quality is very good and delicious yes, but the staff isn't really friendly, and the portions sizes are too small. I ordered the "veg out" salad, in which, the description said beans, quinoa, and many veggies... well it had no quinoa and nothing was said, even when we pointed it out the waitress was unapologetic. I would not have ordered the salad had I known there would be a main ingredient missing and for which I paid $12 for only lettuce. I will not be returning here, was very disappointed.

Pros: Good Quality, Delicious

Cons: Unfriendly staff, Price, Bad service

great location, excellent staff! - Edit

this place is so good! Their lunch and dinner options are great, the presentation is always wonderful. Staff are friendly and the views are amazing out on to the river! Definitely give it a try when you're in Kyoto.

Pros: river side views , light and airy , stocks cruelty free products that you can buy

Expensive and small portion - Edit

all veg restaurant in Kyoto. I loved the food but did not had enough with the main plate (burger). I asked a bowl of rice and got only a handful of rice. I was still hungry so I ordered a cake. It was ¥2225. in Tokyo you can have good filling food for ¥700.

Pros: all vegan , desserts, healthycentral

Cons: expensive , super small portion, not filling at all, we got a check in Japanese

Veg Out, Kyoto - Edit

1stly this place is easy to find. Come out Shichijo Metro station and it is directly across the bridge across the river. It's right on the corner of the bridge and the riverside.

I had a very tasty dinner here this evening. I wouldn't say its massive portions and it certainly ain't cheap eats. If its cheap you are looking for though then Japan is unlikely to be the place for you. Portion sizes generally seem a bit on the small size to me here in Japan. If you order the soya burger and teriyaka vegetable order a size portion of rice to go with it.

Pros: All vegan, Tasty food, Nice setting

yummy soy meat and quiche! - Edit

I ate here several times throughout my trip to Kyoto as it was super close to my hostel. Although it can be on the pricey side that's just Japan in general. My favorite meal was the fried soy meat with a vegan mayo, that was so good! The texture and flavor were perfection. I also got the quiche one day which I really liked because I hadn't tried a vegan quiche before. They also offer drinks and desserts. I think I got a raw raspberry chocolate piece of cake which was delicious.

Wonderful food and view - Edit

I came to Kyoto middle of August 2016. Previously I'd struggled to find healthy vegan food during my Japan trip and I was super excited when I ran into this cute café on my way to the National Museum. The interior is simplistic, the furniture made of light wood. There's a large window front to the Kamo river which made for a beautiful view during our lunch breaks.

The first I time I ordered the set lunch (small portion) which consisted of different seaweed salads and rice, and it was just delicious. Contrary to what others said, I found the portion sizes sufficient for lunch (for a woman), it was a bit pricey though (which I noticed seems often to be the case in Japan though). I loved the food so much, I came back two days later. This time I had a curry which was even tastier. The only thing was that the waitress that day didn't have any English and so my boyfriend ended up not knowing what he I'd ordered. She was very friendly though and tried. If I were in Kyoto, I'd definitely come back.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, beautiful view

Cons: waitress had no English, rather expensive

Relax By The River For A Bite To Eat - Edit

I've been here twice now, for both lunch and dinner.
The first time, for dinner with a group of friends, the food was good but the delivery timing was horrible. Almost everyone was done eating before 2 of my friends even received their food. The portion sizes were also quite small for the price.
The second time I went for lunch with my boyfriend, and the food came quite promptly. It was really fresh and flavourful, but we found again that it just wasn't enough food. We ended up ordering an extra plate.
On both occasions, the staff were also quite cold and grumpy - an experience I've had at other cafes in Kyoto, but seemed more pronounced here.
I would go back if I was in the area, but not for a large meal, not with a group of friends, and knowing what the service is like.
The interior ambience is really nice, with big windows, nice decor, and a view onto the river.

Updated from previous review on 2016-06-28

Pros: Nice ambience, Fresh, yummy food

Cons: A bit pricey for portion size, Poor service timing, Grumpy staff

good but not great - Edit

had an indonesian style dish where the veg was great but more could have been done with the tempeh for sure. echo previous comment about lovely atmosphere. would love to have a chance to return and try something else on the menu

Excellent flavor and presentation - Edit

We had the 1500 yen lunch special, which was fried soymeat fillets and grilled summer veg on fresh greens and brown rice. The flavor was amazing (maybe including a little plum?). There was a lovely soup and 2 cold salads for a starter, included in the set. For an extra 200 yen, includes coffee! Finished with super tasty muffin (dried fig/coconut). Really satisfying meal, while looking out at the river.

magnifique - Edit

c'est un endroit où aller pour en prendre plein la vue et le palais.
la salle est spacieuse et lumineuse, une grande baie vitrée nous montre la rivière, ainsi nous pouvons déguster nos bons plats paisiblement. j'ai pris une part de quiche servie avec une entrée (tofu en sauce, salade, et soupe) et mon copain une grande salade. ce fut très copieux. nous recommandons

Pros: vegan, belle vue, belle ambiance, plats copieux

Food quality is good, but portions are small - Edit

It's at a great location next to a bridge by Kamo river. It was a fairly quick walk from Kyoto train station. We came here for dinner and ordered the soy hamburger and the deep fried soy nuggets. The food was tasty, but like many of the reviewers mentioned, the portions were quite small. Each one of the main dishes was 1500 Yen. For dessert, we ordered the coffee cake, which, while nicely presented, was a bit dense and dry. Overall, a decent meal, but we were hungry a couple of hours later.

Great atmosphere! - Edit

Amazing food, the location is prime very quiet and cozy. Food is to die for, however I wish the servings were bigger. A bit pricey, depending on your budget I paid around $24.00USD however I did get one meal, a small app and sake. English menu available and English is also spoken.

Handy location, nice view - Edit

We went twice in Kyoto, once for lunch and once for dinner, the set menus being fairly similar for each. Handy location if you are going to the national museum or the Sanjusangendo.

Overall it is a little bit overpriced but the view almost makes up for it. Beer and wine are okay. Slightly odd rules for the lunch too, there were only 10 set lunches available for the day. Bought some cakes to takeaway - the sponge was okay but the muffin was pretty stale. Honestly I am struggling to remember much to say about the food but it was at least okay and a fair portion.

The service was okay, both times they seemed quite standoffish towards us western Gaijin but were very chatty with locals. No particular complaints but wouldn't say it was a warm welcome either, especially when the place didn't look like it ever got that busy. Again, if you are in Kyoto, you will probably end up trying it at some point!

Pros: Good location, Decent food, Nice view

Cons: Slightly overpriced, Service "okay"

Lovely vegan food with a great view - Edit

I dined with two non vegans and we had the set curry and taco rice. All of us enjoyed our meal greatly. The smoothies and cakes were also a joy. Happily they accepted my credit card so will be updating the info here as this is no longer cash only.

Can work out a little expensive if you order a lot but I thought a meal and drink was pretty reasonable.

Delicious Indonesian rice with tempeh - Edit

Food was good and the service was fast, they make some delicious muffins for take away! I bought two and enjoyed them both massively!

Pros: tasty , fast, convenient location + great views

Cons: A tiny bit expensive for me

Nice food and great view! - Edit

After visiting Kiyomizudera temple and then Gion I walked to this restaurant which took about 20 mins. Just across the bridge of Shichijo station. It provides a nice view of the Kamo river. I had the taco plate which is taco seasoned beans with rice and salad accompanied by cold grilled aubergines, potato salad, savoury semolina and miso soup. I also got a ginger tea and this all came up to approximately 1500Yen (which is reasonable for Kyoto).

Mediocre food. Expensive. - Edit

My patty was cold at the center. Stir fry vegetable dish was oily. Pickles were not pickled. I was still hungry when I finished the food but still cost me 3500 yen for one person. I wish I could recommend it but I can't. I won't go there again.

Exquisite flavours - Edit

We really enjoyed our dinner at Veg Out on a recent trip to Kyoto. The host was lovely and the flavours of the entree and mains really was exquisite. There is no other word for it.
I can only remember the name of one of the dishes we ordered - "Taco Rice", which was a winner.
The cafe has a nice relaxed feel which is a great change from the hustle and bustle of such a populated country.
If you like a big meal, you may find the portion sizes on the small side but that will save you room for entree and desert :).
Definitely visit Veg Out if you find yourself in Kyoto.

Pros: Excellent food, Very friendly host with good English, Nice relaxed feel

Nice experience - Edit

After starving for the previous day I was so happy to find this place 5 mins away from our ryokan. It was almost empty and made me hope they are busy at lunch time, otherwise they can't make a living. The portions aren't huge and the prices are not cheap, but it was worth the money. The brown rice risotto was cooked to perfection and the veggie burger was so tasty! I don't normally have pudding but there was a peanut butter and maca muffin calling my name and it really hit the spot.

Pros: everything is vegan

Cons: Quiet

Amazing food an atmosphere! December 2015 - Edit

My friend and I visited Kyoto in December 2015 and happy cow pointed us in the direction of this restaurant. It's really not that difficult to find. It looks onto the river and they not only have vegan food but they sell many vegan and cruelty free items/cosmetics/etc. We bought lip balm and rice milk cookie flavoured chocolate and were tempted to buy vegan toothpaste. I had taco rice and my friend had a pasta dish and it was incredible. The view is amazing and the couple that served and made our food were incredibly inviting. I bought a brownie from the display fridge on my way out and it was incredible.

Pros: Excellent food, Amazing staff, Incredible view

meal with a view - Edit

Had a delicious lunch here - I had Japanese curry ( so much flavor and goodness ) and my husband had some sort of what we think was seitan fried on a sandwich which was absolutely amazing - the special of the day - everything came with lots of salad - a great view - good service and we topped it of with peanut butter choc chip almond muffin and coffees which were supurb - very much enjoyed our time and meal here !

Pros: wine and beer, view , little shop

Cons: none

SO GREAT! - Edit

I was the only person there, at 9pm. Very cute atmosphere and the couple is very inviting and helpful. Tons of vegetarian and vegan products being sold as well.
I had the trio of appetizers, the tacorice, and a small bottle of organic sake from Kyoto. Everything had so much flavor, and while it was expensive compared to a "normal" restaurant it was actually very reasonably priced considering quality of ingredients and atmosphere.

Great food with a view! - Edit

My partner and I went here three times- twice for lunch and once for dinner. We preferred the lunch set as we thought it was better value. The food was very nice especially the soy meat. The chocolate that they sell as some of the best I've tried- the cookie flavour is amazing as we bought three blocks! Dinner was a bit less exciting and more Western and very popular. The staff are really kind and helpful. Would definitely come back for a fourth time!

Pros: Wonderful view of the river , Yummy traditional Japanese food , Great dessert

Tasty food with a view - Edit

SHOP: small shop with great vegan "milk" chocolate and vegan vegetable spread among other things.

FOOD: food is very tasty (we had stir-fried rice with tempeh and vegetables, deep fried soy meat and a soy meat burger, and muffins & cake for dessert), you can also buy muffins and cake to go, they also have (green) smoothies and quiche, smallish portions

INTERIOR: lots of wood, great view over the river (especially when the sun is still out)

LOCATION: walkable distance from the JR Kyōto station (we're used to walking)

Pros: take-out muffins and cake!, small shop with great vegan chocolate, tasty food

Cons: small portions

Great vegan cafe - Edit

My husband and I arrived in Kyoto at 9:15 PM last night and went straight to Veg Out to get dinner but we got there too close to closing time. I told the people who worked there that we just got into town and were vegan and starving. They were SO nice. Even though they don't do take out and don't have to go containers they went through everything in the kitchen and found some boxes and foil and put together the best dinner for us to take back to our hotel. We went back today for a late lunch and ordered the quiche (same as last night) and I had the spinach soup and my husband had the minestrone. We had the raw vanilla cake for dessert. This was truly one of the best vegan meals we have had in a long time. The quiche was so creamy, the soups were both great and the dessert was very rich, creamy and delicious without being too sweet. We sat by the window and watched the river and the people walking by while listening to the relaxing bluesy/jazzy music they played.It has been a challenge eating healthy, tasty meals in Japan so Veg Out was a very welcome surprise. The one thing was that on the map supplied to Happy Cow it gave the wrong side of the street as the location of the restaurant. The side the map said it was on was a shrine :).

Pros: Great food, Great location, Great ambience

Very disappointed - Edit

I don't like to write negative reviews but myself and a friend embarked on a 30 minute walk in the rain super excited to try Veg Out as a result of all the rave reviews we have read. Sadly we were met with a waitress informing us the they were closed for a meeting and pointed at the sign showing the trading hours (which stated they should be open at this time). The waitress was unapologetic (something we have not encountered along our travels in Japan) there was also no mention of the closure on their Facebook page which appears to have only been updated in the last couple of days. Sadly we will not be going back in an attempt to eat there due to the experience even though the menu looks lovely. I would suggest better communication using there social media platforms to avoid disappointing prospective customers.

Cons: Closed without explanation, Unapologetic

Wow - Edit

Hands down one of the best Vegan meals I've had anywhere - the food was fresh, the service was friendly and fast, the location was great and the views across the river were amazing. Highly recommended!

Great views, relaxing atmosphere and vegan! - Edit

Location: on west side of Kamo River, just at the foot of the bridge at shichioji. The Keihan railway Shichioji station is directly across, on the east side of the bridge . The cafe is on the first floor of the building overlooking the river, with Tamisa Yoga downstairs, and Kin Khao Asian restaurant upstairs. The signs may catch your eye as you get closer.

Ambiance and menu: The cafe has 3 lunch sets: quiche, curry, taco rice , with sides of green salad and pickled veg. It also sells muffins, cakes (raw food -style or baked ) , coffees, teas, smoothies, craft beer. It's a sleek room with a small sales area stocked with natural products. There's an open kitchen, wood floors and tables and a comfortable counter where customers can sit and watch the river flowing and the changing light and clouds over the hills surrounding Kyoto. It's very near sites like Sanjusangendo , Kyoto National Museum and other temples, & the Keihan line, or if you,like to walk, the river quay. The service was quick and there is an English menu.

Open Wed-Sun 11:30-10:00; tues 11:30-6:00PM

Pros: Relaxed, friendly atmosphere , Moderate prices , All Vegan

Return to Kyoto Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Veg Out closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.