Veg Out

Contact 808-575-5320

810 Kokomo Rd (at Haiku Town Center, Maui), Haiku, Hawaii, USA, 96708

Small veggie cafe with counter service that caters to mostly the locals. Menu features a variety of choices from pizza, salads, and wraps, to veggieburgers, main plates, pizza, to fresh carrot juice. Has vegan cakes. Food is served on disposable and take-out ware in a simple space.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Pizza, International, Fast food, Take-out

First Review by Richard Myers

Ample, filling, hearty, delicious - Edit

While visiting Maui we met a friend at Veg-Out who recommended it for its vegan options and quality. We ordered the burrito that had everything in it and made it vegan, as well as the Italian sub that had seitan and tomato sauce. Both were huge, delicious, and easily ordered. Although Veg-Out was out of our way, we made sure to return for takeout on our trip because the food was so good. The Taro burger was also ample and delicious-and Maui-made, and the vegan chocolate cake was huge, decadent, and satisfying. All of our meals stretched out beyond to leftovers. Ordering vegan was so easy, and asking for ingredient listings seemed common.

Pros: Inexpensive , Ample portions, DELICIOUS!!!

Wasn't expecting much but was pleasantly surprised - Edit

After reading the reviews on here I didn't expect much and haven't even added this place to my list of places to check out. I totally forgot it existed. When I was out and about one day in Haiku heading over the Maui Kombucha, I noticed the sign saying vegetarian. I was curious so I went here and tried it out. I took forever deciding what I wanted because the menu is so different from one item to the next. I wound up settling on the taro burger. It took about 15 mins to come out. It was in a to-go container which I thought was weird because the place had tables and was inside. I sat there and enjoyed my food. I was surprised by my burger. It was quite good. It wasn't like a traditional burger and the patty was a little softer because it would made out of root veggies but it was a nice change. The burger was decently priced ($6) but didn't come with a side which was ok for that day. They also had curry and pineapple cake but I was so full from all the other food I had already eaten that day that I didn't get a chance to try them. I'd probably check this place out again.

Pros: Decent prices, Varied menu, Near cute beach

Cons: Weird hours, Everything to go, Strange atmosphere

Not Impressed - Edit

My husband & I visited Veg Out on our last day on Maui. I had higher hopes for Veg Out. I had the falafel and my husband had the italian sandwich. The falafel was dry and tasted like what we have made at home from a boxed mix, I ended up having indigestion the remainder of the day and the flight home. My husband said he liked his sandwich but he thought it could be better. I wouldn't go out of my way to come back to Veg Out if we’re on Maui in the future.

Pros: Vegetarian

Cons: Indigestion, Dry Falafel, Bland Italian Sandwich

Haiku's Old Standby - Edit

I live in Haiku, so of course it is great to have a vegetarian restaurant so close. It is a casual place with lots of choices - Mexican, pizza, Thai, etc. They also have salads and smoothies. The prices are very reasonable and the people who work there are very friendly. Try it out!

*****Updated from previous review on Wednesday January 03, 2007*****

Maybe my tastes have changed, and I look for healthier food. I've been going here for years as a standby when we don't want to cook at home, however after every single time I eat here, I wake up so parched and thirsty that I know they must put way too much salt in the dishes. This only happens on nights after I eat here, so I know that is the cause. Needless to say, I don't eat here very often anymore. I am well aware that other restaurants are probably just as salty, not just Veg-out.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday September 18, 2013

Pros: good prices, variety of dishes

Cons: no vegan cheese, way too salty, doesnt't seem so healthy

Quick and casual - Edit

I had read about this place on happycow and have eaten here a few times so far. Was just here in December 2012, and here's my Veg Out review.

This is a informal and basic kind of place. The locals come here for a quick bite or takeaway. Your order at the counter, and food is then brought to our table. Everything in disposable to-go ware only.

In the times that I've eaten here, I've had the organic local greens salad, enchilada salad, taro burger on toasted bread, pizza on whole wheat crust, pizza no cheese on spelt crust, vegan cakes, yellow curry, Indian platter, and fresh carrot juice. Overall the food is okay. The vegan cakes are moist and yummy.

I'm surprised that it seems as if very little had changed here since my past trips to Maui. Same basic space offering quick service vegetarian and vegan food (no vegan cheese for pizza) except for a few different menu items.

Pros: variety of choices, good vegan cakes, fast service

Cons: ventilation could be better, some items salty

BEST CAKE EVER! - Edit

We had the felafel wrap, which was yummy and fresh...but the highlight was definitely the Pina Colada cake! WOWZA! So So So good I may have to move to Maui.

Pros: lots of option, pina coloda cake

Cons: no vegan cheese

not very good hippie food - Edit

We got a lot of food after an active day, nothing was very good. The chips and other food are sourced from Costco, fwiw. We split a pizza and salad for apps, neither of which came before our entrees, so we wished we hadn't gotten them. The pizza was not very good, the crust was soggy and let the toppings fall right off. The salad was the same as the wrap my date had, minus the wrap. The tofu on the salad had zero flavor. The salad was a weak point. The wrap was reported to me to be good, but qualified as hard to mess up bean and rice in a wrap. My seitan samich was not good, baked w tomato sauce. First, when squeezed to bite all the oil, which was a lot, emerged to the top. It was so much that the bread could not tolerate it and it disintegrated and fell apart. It was very oily. The flavor was just alright nothing special but it was hot in an area that is not bubbling over w veg food. I think if you thought about what was hard to mess up and ordered that it may be ok.
Seem like nice enough folks though.

Maui has a lot of great food, I was irked I stopped here though and let this happen.
Updated from previous review on Friday July 08, 2011

Pros: nice folks, veggie

Cons: lack skill/ finesse, costco food, timing

AWESOME - Edit

Loved the fact that it is fully vegeterian
Wide variety to choose from: mexican, indian, italian, greek
Owner is a sweet lady, who works with her son.
It may appear that high school students run the place, but they were very knowledgable about the food offered!
we went here 3 times, since in east maui, i could not find any "veg only" resteraunts, and im picky about little things, such as knife used to cut my pizza :)..i cringe if i taste pepporoni on the sides :). we did take out, that stayed fresh for the evening dinner. Then before i left for the airport , we picked up some dinner again. It is only 10 mins from the airport. (OGG)

Pros: EXCELLENT VARIETY, good value, veg only

Veg out we did - Edit

This was a real find for us in a not too friendly area. The food was great and we returned again before we moved on in our tour of the island. Lots of vegan choice with large portions; it left us very satisfied.

Pros: good menu, excellent food

Cons: limited seating

Return to Haiku Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Veg Out closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1859 times since Aug 2007.