Thyme - Airport

n/a

Newark Liberty International Airport, Terminal C, Newark, New Jersey, USA, 07114

Ovo-lacto vegetarian eatery at the airport, opened by an owner of NYC's Dirt Candy. Due to ipad ordering system it's been reported that the kitchen is unable to accommodate vegans.

Categories: Lacto, Ovo, American, International, Take-out

First Review by Sprout27

Really disappointing - Edit

When I heard there was a new all-veg place in Newark Airport associated with the chef from Dirt Candy, I was super-excited.

I was soo wrong.

First, the menu doesn't make clear which options are vegan, and since you're ordering on ipads, you (a) can't specify that you want to make sure your dish is vegan or (b) can't easily get any waitstaff to help answer your questions.

Second, even once I ordered, the food that arrived was not good. They were REALLY bland. The "cauliflower steak" I ordered seemed like just a flavorless, un-spiced roasted piece of cauliflower. My husband, who isn't vegan, couldn't even finish the pasta dish he ordered.

There are better options for vegans at this airport.

Cons: Not clearly labeled, Bad, bland food

Superior airport fare - Edit

In the newly renovated United terminal C at Newark airport. I had the spaghetti marinara, which was surprisingly spicy. That said, it came completely ungarnished - not even a parsley leaf for visual appeal.

The food is good, but the dining experience is a bit weird. You must view the menu and order on a tablet (this seems to be ubiquitous in this terminal). This could be okay, except it does not allow you to place any customizations, such as "no cheese", etc. As interactions with the few waitstaff are limited, you then have to try and get their attention before your order comes to ensure it is as you wish.

And if having 2 tablets cluttering your small table aren't enough, there are TVs on the walls.

Updated from previous review on 2017-10-04

Pros: great location , nice vegetarian food, quick

Cons: serves eggs and cheese, have to order using a tablet

wish it was better - Edit

As the only fully veg place in the airport you'd think it would be awesome and setting a great example. The menu is very unclear about vegan options and so are the staff. In the end, very few items are vegan (or can be made vegan) and that is a disappointment in itself. I had the beet sandwich. The sauce is not vegan so be sure to opt out on the digital menu. The sandwich looked good, but the bread was super hard / stale. The guy working was nice enough to send it back for me and I got it with pita bread instead. It was okay, but not fantastic.
Seems that all their fancy drinks are dairy only, and no desserts were vegan. So disappointed.

Pros: in the airport

Cons: few vegan options, menu needs work

AVOID THIS PLACE - Edit

No no no.
1. Their menu is NOT clear and does NOT list ingredients
2. it's an IPAD ordering restaurant.
3. The staff when I was there was CLUELESS, and they were WRONG about what was veg*. (I had to talk to the manager).
I would NOT recommend that anyone wanting to avoid animal products go here.
You will not have any way to know what you are ordering or eating.
I would give them no stars, but it's not a choice.
--For vegans or vegetarians, this place is NOT a good option if you really care about what you are eating--.
I would move to remove it from HappyCow, but because they are marketing to vegetarians, I think it's important that our veg* community knows.
If you're at that airport, go to Subway, you'll have a better idea of what you are ordering.

Cons: MENU with NO INFORMATION, IPAD ORDERING, UNINFORMED STAFF

madjoy 17 Nov 2017 - I agree with the vote to remove it from Happycow! I feel like it's misleadingly marketed...

Really Bad Experience - Edit

I'm not sure what happened between the other reviewers' visits and ours, but every part of our experience was terrible.

We had trouble finding the restaurant in the airport, and nothing online indicated where it was. When we finally tracked it down, the iPads used to order were not working. The servers were either unable or unwilling to take our order manually, so we waited over 20 minutes for the iPads to be fixed. Finally, we ordered the following:

1 Hendricks Martini
1 Hard Cider
1 Mushroom Broth
1 Grilled Cauliflower Steak

About 10 minutes after ordering, someone from the kitchen came out to tell us that the cider wasn't available. We chose a beer instead. The beer came pretty quickly.

Nearly 10 minutes later, our soup arrived. We were not given any spoons with which to eat the soup, and it sat for almost 10 minutes before a server came back out of the kitchen. We requested spoons and they arrived quickly.

About 5 minutes after that, the martini arrived split between a champagne coup a shot glass on the side. We were informed that the restaurant was out of martini glasses, so this is what they brought instead.

The mushroom soup was actually delicious, and we really enjoyed it. However, as we neared the bottom of the bowl, each bite contained what was clearly sand or dirt. We couldn't eat about the last 1/3 of the soup.

Our entree finally arrived an hour and ten minutes after we were first seated. The "grilled" cauliflower steak was clearly steamed or boiled (or possibly microwaved), definitely not grilled. The accompanying potatoes and creamed spinach were well cooked but lacking any seasoning.

We were very disappointed in this whole experience. Most patrons in the restaurant walked out while we were there, but we kept trying to give them a fair chance. We've wanted to dine at Dirt Candy the last couple times we've been to NYC, and were really excited find that there was a sister restaurant we could try while waiting for our connecting flight. I honestly can't remember a worse restaurant experience, and we are out over $60.

NOTE: Happy Cow won't allow me to leave a one-star review, but they definitely don't deserve two stars based on this meal.

Pros: Delicious Soup

Cons: Expensive, Inept servers and kitchen staff, Literally dirt in my food

Newark Liberty Intl Airport: So happy to finally have options in this airport! - Edit

I'm at this airport very often and it was appalling the lack of vegan options. So happy they finally have this place even though it's not 100% vegan (they offer a cheese plate and they told me most of the desserts are not...damn.) Either way I'll take what I can get!

After having tried a couple of the sandwiches, I do have to say I am a bit disappointed. I tried the Falafel Burger and the Carrot Lettuce and Tomato sandwich. The bread on the Falafel burger was just not great, It tasted very processed, and the burger itself was a bit burned. On the Carrot Lettuce and Tomato the bread was good but a bit hard. I actually don't think that this business hired it's own chefs. I feel like it's just another OTG managed restaurant which supplies it's own staff. It looks like it may come from a shared kitchen with another restaurant next to it, but I'm not sure. I am still going to try a few more things from the menu before I give up, maybe I just found a couple duds. #optimism

Updated from previous review on 2017-04-19

Pros: Staff is friendly

Cons: I was told the desserts are not vegan

What a pleasant surprise! - Edit

I was thrilled to run across this place while waiting for my transfer at Newark! They have a very unique and creative selection of menu items. My entree was some type of sweet potato / leek / rice dish and it was amazing.

One point of caution - the ordering is done through tablets on the table. I had also ordered a dessert as part of my meal and it didn't appear to go through. I even asked the server when he came to deliver my entree if it had gone through. He took a quick look at my tab and said it had but after about 20 minutes it became apparent that it hadn't. By that time it was too late to try again (I had a plane to catch after all!). Which was a bummer as the Creme Brulee sounded amazing....

The other downside is that you can really only eat here if you're flying United through Newark as it's past the security clearance. But if you are able to arrange it, it's worth checking out!

Pros: Really creative food choices, Tasty!, 20% discounts for United CC members

Cons: Potential for problems via app ordering, You need to fly United through Newark to visit

Incredible! - Edit

Completely vegan menu. Everything tasted incredible.

Ordering is done through iPads on the tables. Ordering and paying is easy enough but the bright screens in your face is pretty obnoxious.

Pros: Great vegan food in an airport!

Cons: Expensive, iPads on the tables

MicheletheTrainer 22 Jul 2017 - Sorry, but it is NOT vegan.

veggie heaven! - Edit

I was so happy to find this place in the United terminal.. The sunchoke ratatouille was so flavorful. This place is such a great option for vegan/vegetarian/plant based folks who are tired of sad iceberg salads and random airport bananas.

Pros: there's no meat on the menu!!!

Cons: service could have been better.

MicheletheTrainer 22 Jul 2017 - FYI-There is a lot of dairy and who-knows-what-else on their menu that they don't disclose.

Return to Newark Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Thyme - Airport closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.