Cafe This Way

Contact 207-288-4483

14 Mt Desert St, Bar Harbor, Maine, USA, 04609

Serves meat, vegan options available. Casual atmosphere with plenty of seating. Rotating art on the walls. Offers vegan options as well as "can be made vegan" options. Tofu skewers with dates, vegetarian pot pie, butternut squash with quinoa and broccoli rabe. Vegan breakfast options.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by KateMc

Always a Vegan Option - Edit

My husband and I came to this place since it had vegan and vegetarian options. At the time I wasn't a strict vegan, and played around with the menu. They have a vegan breakfast, but have more to pick for vegetarians, even some veggie sausages (not sure if they are vegan). When I went I got the zucchini noodles, which looks like they changed it a little as I don't remember there being any polenta. I was really happy with my dinner but I have a few complaints

1) It is a fun setting and super casual. You get awesome food that isn't just a burger and fries. They really try and make the food a step up. But don't expect to sit for long. The staff is amazingly fast, and we didn't stay for long, though I am sure they wouldn't pressure you to leave if you sat around talking for awhile. It is just a clash of really fancy food and casual dining.

2) The price is a little expensive for the environment. We went twice, once for breakfast and once for dinner. We splurged since we were on our honeymoon, but I could imagine us not going again because of budgeting reasons.

Otherwise the place is pretty nice and the food is great. If anything if you are traveling with a non-vegan going here for breakfast is totally doable.

Pros: Insanely fast service for sit down, Great food, Can rely on at least ONE vegan option

Cons: A little pricey

excellent - Edit

what a great find. we ate there twice since there was two items on the menu for vegans. I loved the chickpea/cauliflower rice the best! I had the vegan noodle bowl and it was too salty but enjoyable. the sorbet was very good. the restaurant is actually called Café This Way.

Breakfast - Edit

Had a fantastic scrambled tofu with peppers, onions and potatoes that was very good. Atmosphere was pleasant and roomy. The waitstaff was attentive to our needs even though they were busy. Looking forward to trying the dinner menu some day!

Only one Vegan dish on the menu - Edit

They didn't seem like they could do anything else other than "The Vegan" (I asked), and it was OK (lots of soy sauce, though).

Pros: vegan option, in the main part of town, non-veg people can eat there

Cons: busy, only one vegan option, food is slow coming out

sinfully good food - Edit

If you are planning on going to dinner here you should definitely make a reservation. Large open room with rotating art on the walls. I had the butternut squash moraccan with quonia and chickpeas. My husband had the vegetarian shepherds pie. The cashew crusted tofu looked excellent too. I'm told they have great breakfast too. They're open in the morning and the evening, not for lunch.

Pros: excellent food, friendly service

Cons: noisy, expensive

Return to Bar Harbor Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Cafe This Way closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2578 times since Jul 2010.