The Wild Cow

• Friend
Contact 615-262-2717

1896 Eastland Ave, Nashville, Tennessee, USA, 37206

Established 2009, The Wild Cow serves vegan, vegetarian, and gluten-free food with changing specials. Offers organic vegan wine, ciders, high-alcohol beers, vegan and gluten-free baked goods. Fun, casual environment. Food is vegan except for add-ons by request. Open Mon 11:00am-10:00pm, Wed-Sun 11:00am-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, American, Organic, Beer/Wine, Take-out

First Review by SirJustinian

Very good restaurant. - Edit

This place is around the corner from Graze. These two restaurants evidently have the same management. Graze is the classier and better place; Wild Cow is more relaxed, less costly, and not up to the same high standards as Graze--though still very good. I would definitely eat here again; but if I had the money for a really fine dinner, I would choose Graze.

Pros: Relaxed, Fine food, Friendly staff

Don't skip this place! - Edit

A nice, cozy restaurant. It is small but that adds to the charm. I also enjoyed the photos of cows. 💓

The menu has a lot to offer. It took me a while to decide on what to order! My family started with the spinach artichoke dip. It was delicious and arrived quickly after ordering despite the place being full! I got the taco sampler for my meal and I couldn't have been happier. They were HUGE and really flavorful. My husband ordered the Philly, which he enjoyed very much. It was filled to the max with seitan.

And last but not least, the service was excellent. I'd have to say it was easily the best service we've ever had. This was more than appreciated after an hour long wait for a table. The staff is attentive and hard working.

Pros: Delicious food, Plenty of parking, Filling

Wonderful! - Edit

Entire menu is vegan so you don't have to search for what to eat. There was a wait for a seat but it wasn't all that bad. I got the Buffalo style tempeh hoagie and mashed sweet potatoes and they were great! Also bought a t-shirt :)

Pros: All vegan, Not expensive, Cozy setting

The Wild Cow is AMAZING! - Edit

I love The Wild Cow! Who knew you could have so many options for good vegan food?! I had the Philly Cheesesteak sandwich and of course all of the varieties of tacos that they offer- all of which were to die for. I will say the sweet potato black bean taco was a little weird because it was seasoned with cinnamon and that was unexpected for a savory dish like tacos. But still good nonetheless. The serve every vegetarian/vegan option of meat substitute you can think of which makes for a great variety of dishes. And I can't forget to mention that they have some delicious sides as well. Their blue corn chips with salsa verde is light and refreshing with a hint of citrus.

They have a variety of vegan dessert treats from Vegan Vee bakery. If you want to splurge a little try out the Raw Vegan Cheesecake...SO GOOD!

Pros: So Many Options, Friendly Staff, DESSERT

INCREDIBLE - Edit

I would move to Nashville just for this restaurant. Their lentil stew bowl was so filling and delicious, and I added grilled tempeh to it which was a great decision. Most healthy and/or vegan places are over priced, but my mom and I ate a meal each, a kombucha, and a cupcake, all for less than $30.

Pros: Fair priced, TONS of options and menu items, Atmosphere

Cons: vegan cheese has a weird taste

Great tacos, but falls a little short - Edit

This place didn't quite do it for me. Some of the food (ie tacos and fresh hummus) was great, but some fell short (Buffalo sandwich). The staff was an interesting cast of characters, but our waitress really didn't seem to know much about the menu. It's worth a try, but based on the other reviews I expected great thingsn it fell short.

Pros: Tacos - do it, they're good

Cons: Service

The absolute best in Nashville - Edit

My go-to place whenever hubby and I want to go out and eat! Everything on the menu is delicious. It's so difficult to choose between something healthy when all of their sandwiches are so unbelievably delicious. Then again, the buffalo beans and greens is something you could easily eat every day; It's seriously addictive. Favourite sandwich is a tie between the mouthwatering and cheesy Philly, French Dip, or Buffalo Grinder. They should consider selling their vegan ranch recipe by the bottle because it's the best vegan ranch I've ever had. I'm not big on getting smoothies unless I'm blending them up at home, but I was impressed by the kick in the chocolate banana cayenne smoothie. It was so good! Seriously, you have to come to this restaurant if you stop in Nashville. Only negative thing I can think is that hubby and I love ordering the spinach dip appetizer which comes with delicious seasoned crostinis. They subbed the crostinis for tortilla chips one day and we were like wtf, we don't want this lol. This has actually happened twice.

Pros: Delicious, Helpful and fun waitstaff, Not violently expensive

Cons: Sometimes they sub without telling you

Standard veg menu but extraordinary flavors - Edit

Most vegetarian places aren't that exciting to me when they have the normal food offerings like sandwiches, salads and entrees that I've seen a million times before. However, I do love veg restaurants.

This place delivers. It is soo good, I couldn't believe it. The nachos seem to be a favorite, and yes, they are pretty good with the lovely blue chips. They have a special, too, so check for it.

They have raw items, including deserts that are coconut and/or chia based.

They have Vegan Vee (gluten free) desserts - ohmigosh. Cupcakes and cake slices. So good! They also have regular wheat-based cupcakes made in house.

The salads are awesome, especially the taco salad and Pistachio and Pear salad. So good. Love their salads. Plentiful, generous portions. Awesome.

I'm not a sandwich fan, but a taco fan, yes. Get the trio of tacos - a sampler that will make you so happy. Not since TX have I had vegan tacos this amazingly delicious! So good! The flavor on their black beans is garlicky goodness.

They have grain and veggie bowls, and wow, the garlic aioli is awesome. The pineapple cole slaw is the bomb.

Really, you can't go wrong here. Not to mention they make juices, fresh juices, here for you, too. This is an all in one place to make your mouth so happy. So good. Loved it!

Pros: Vegan Vee desserts, Vegan tacos, Salads

Cons: Not 100% vegan, Small restaurant- long wait for seats

best in Nashville - Edit

I went here in early January when I was visiting friends in Nashville. I got the spinach artichoke dip and the OG Beans & Greens Bowl. Everything was great. My non-veg friends enjoyed their meals as well. I will definitely eat here again whenever I am in Nashville.

good vibes and food - Edit

Notice I say good not great. We had a 30 minute wait as walk-in's at 7.30p on a Sunday night and quickly decided to start with dessert first since the cupcakes on the counter were right there and looking delicious! We sat on the bench outside on this beautiful summer night and took a bite into the toasted coconut cupcake. Good. Not great. Same for the rosewater pistachio cupcake. Great name. Pretty looking. But a bit dry like the last cupcake.

When we were seated we ordered the Buffalo Tempeh for appetizers. GREAT!

We then had the French Dip and Tempeh Reuben. Both good. Not great. Both came with a side and we chose the garlic kale. Which should have been named Warm Shoyu Kale. I think when one calls something Garlic "anything" it must be able to walk the walk and taste like garlic with no mistake. The buffalo dip for the tempeh had a garlic kick that was awesome. Not that was fantastic!

The French Dip had a great bread bun and fantastic au jus but the small bits of cut up seitan just fell apart when I tried to dip the entire roll. Even when cut into two pieces it was too much of a mess. Of course it was meant to be eaten with utensils and dipped into the au jus but this girl likes to feel her food and use her hands. But if using utensils you'll probably love it! The daiya cheese tasted really good on this.

As for the Tempeh Reuben. Nope but there's hope. The experience was a sauerkraut sandwich on a gorgeous marble (untoasted) bread. The texture of the tempeh made me ask if it was tofu as it was very desirably soft but no real Reuben sauce to distinguish the Reuben from the sauerkraut. Definitely needed more of a sauce and to be toasted.

So I say good. Not great. It has potential to be epic. But not there yet.

I wanted to love them both as the vibe in the restaurant was cool. Great energy. People. Menu choices and creativity. Drinks. But I can't give them higher then a 3. Tops 3.5 if it was available.

And I only based this rating on what we ate. I would return if back in town and I would recommend to friends for sure.

Oh. And the service was friendly enough but everyone on staff seemed to be in a big rush. Not to mention when our waiter picked up my dish and dropped the fork and knife that slipped off and just walked away leaving it spilled on the table. I had to laugh. Casual service I guess.

The Journey
traveling across America dining & reporting on exceptional vegan!
Instagram @tweeyoga #thejourneyisthedestinationtour
TweeYoga.com

Best Vegan Restaurant in Nashville - Edit

I just discovered this on my trip to Nashville through the Happy Cow app. It got rave reviews and I have to agree! I wanted to try everything on the menu it sounded so good. I tried the taco sampler which was superb and the tempeh buffalo strips were awesome too! My meat-eating husband loved it as well and didn't mind that everything was vegan! I will definitely come back next time I am in the area.

Updated from previous review on Tuesday July 28, 2015

Pros: Lots of tasty vegan options, Excellent value, Large portions

Cons: Parking, Limited seating, Spicy food

Go To Place in Nashville for Vegans - Edit

I always eat here as many times as possible when visiting my sister who lives in the Nashville area. The service isn't the greatest, but the food is wonderful! Lots of gluten-free options available. The desserts are incredible! Always busy no matter what time of day. This is a must stop location when in Nashville.

Pros: Super Yummy Food, Amazing Desserts

Cons: Hit or Miss Customer Service

Absolutely Worth the Drive - Edit

I drove up to visit a friend in Franklin so that we could try this place. A bit of a wait but totally worth it. Great selection and easy to be vegan. We could have shared a meal but instead left stuffed. Nice Seitan selections. Parked down around the corner and then walked to a nearby bakery. Taco Sampler plate and French Dip were what we tried.
Updated from previous review on Saturday July 11, 2015

Pros: Food, Employees

Cons: Waiting, Parking

Contributions +55

Love This Place! - Edit

Pros: Super Yummy Food, Amazing Desserts

Cons: Hit or Miss Customer Service

Totally amazing! - Edit

It was a wonderful surprise to find a full service vegan restaurant within walking distance of where I was staying in Nashville. There was a wait when I arrived, so that was a good sign; it was worth every minute! The menu was amazing and I had a difficult time making a choice. Everything is vegan, unless you ask for dairy cheese. It is a relief to walk into a restaurant and feel confident that everything is vegan. I ended up enjoying the nachos with avocado and fajita style seitan, peppers, and onions. The queso was flavorful and the entire meal was a treat. That was the first time I'd had nachos in over 10 years and these were worth the wait. The staff was super nice and efficient. They had a great selection of vegan wine and locally brewed beer. Will definitely make this my first stop the next time I'm in Nashville!

Pros: Extensive menu, Beautiful food, Excellent wait staff

Good food in a fun atmosphere - Edit

My husband and I really enjoyed our dinner at this quirky little restaurant. While the menu was not extensive - especially for dinner entrees, the two sandwiches we ordered were both excellent. Our waitress was friendly and efficient and the prices were reasonable.

The restaurant is located a bit off the beaten path, so use your GPS to find it. The drive will be worth it because it's in a lovely old section of Nashville with charming homes.

Beware: there is little off street parking and the street has a lot of traffic. We had to park on a side street 4 blocks away. The whole neighborhood was hopping. It was a Saturday night so it may not be so congested during the week.

Pros: Good food, Reasonable prices, Excellent service

Cons: Limited dinner options, Parking is extremely limited

Return to Nashville Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Wild Cow closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 20055 times.