The Weary Traveler

+1-608-442-6207

1201 Williamson St (at S Few St), Madison, Wisconsin, USA, 53703

Serves meat, vegan options available. Hippie-inspired, convivial atmosphere with eclectic decor such as lamp bases made from old dial telephones. Features vegan options made from high-quality local, organic produce such as vegan chili (complete with vegan cornbread), corn, quinoa, and black bean salad, tom ka tofu soup, roasted veggie salad and two platters--one Mediterranean with pita, hummus, and tabbouli and the other Southwestern with chips, guacamole, and pico de gallo. Open Mon-Thu 11:30am-2:00am, Fri-Sat 11:30am-2:30am, Sun 11:30am-2:00am.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, American, Organic, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by starlyse

AndrewWilson

Points +19

Vegetarian
25 Aug 2019

Ok-ish - Edit

Went here because wife and kid are not vegan, I am. Was hard to find as there is no signage whatsoever on Williamson st, which is silly. I literally had to use Google maps walking directions when I was 10 feet away.

Seemed to at least have a few options for me according to the menu. Would have loved something to much on before main course, but no appetizer at all on menu. So my app was beer.

The menu has very few options for kids, only option was a cheeseburger... ordered that well done for my picky 10-year-old. I ordered the weary Tom's ka tofu, and my wife, being from Guatemala, was excited to order the carne asada.

Daughter's burger was medium/mid rare, not well done...so that caused a little drama with her. My weary Tom's was very good, but being a curry dish I expected rice or something to go with it, nothing ... basically a tofu soup (not stew like menu says, more liquid than solid food which by definition is soup). Props, however, as the tofu was prepared very well.

My wife's carne asada turned out to be Nachos... The steak was cut, placed on top of the tortilla chips, not directly on the plate like she expected, which would have retrained all the juices. The guacamole had no acid, and heavy on the cumin. The dish was odd to us. It literally was a nacho platter that set us back $13.

Service wasn't anything to write home about, service was a bit stand-offish. Probably won't be back.

Pros: Good beer, cool atmosphere

Cons: Nothing for kids, no appetizers

tweed85

Points +29

16 May 2019

So good! - Edit

Amazing tofu soup with coconut milk!

Ali5on

Points +166

28 Sep 2018

Great for vegans and meat-eaters alike. - Edit

My husband eats meat, so we have to compromise on places to eat. We both give this restaurant 5 stars (happy cow only allows a max of 4 stars for mixed eateries). Tom kha delicious and the tagine was very flavorful and filling. My husband said the Bobs bad breath burger was among the best he’s ever had. Huge beer selection, and the margarita was authentic, without mixes or inferior ingredients. We also enjoyed the warm, relaxed atmosphere.

Pros: 5 vegan items on the menu I was dying to try.

Cons: Service a little slow, but friendly.

reba1203

Points +87

Vegetarian
23 Jun 2018

Happy Cow reserves 5 stars for veg only restaurants (makes sense) - Edit

Weary Traveler was awesome - numerous veg options. Great atmosphere & awesome service!

AngelaFlatland

Points +150

10 Feb 2018

vegan chili and Tom Kha - Edit

This place has good WISCONSIN woods vibes and even vegan options. I get both the chili and Tom Kha soup when I come because I love them both equally.

fondducoeur

Points +1008

03 Aug 2012

Good Food, Should Consider Expanding Veg Offerings - Edit

I enjoyed my lunch at the Weary Traveler. I had a huge bowl of the Tom Ka Soup w/excellent tofu and great flavor. My husband enjoyed an equally large bowl of hearty vegan chili w/cornbread. Other menu items that sounded good were the black bean and quinoa salad and the roasted vegetable salad.
Vegan menu items are clearly marked and the atmosphere is pleasant. The portions are very large. What surprises me is that while I appreciate the obvious effort to include menu items for vegetarians and vegans, they do not offer a vegan sandwich of any sort. A veggie burger or even a portabello sandwich would fit right in with the rest of their menu, and I'm sure that Madison patrons would be appreciative.
That being said, it was a nice lunch spot and I would go back. Where I didn't try any, their drink selection also looked nice (especially the locally made kombucha w/vodka).

Pros: Big portions, Nice atmosphere, Tasty soups

Cons: Not a large selection

starlyse

Points +309

11 Nov 2011

yummy! - Edit

Very vegetarian friendly with plenty of vegan options. The menu is clearly labeled. They have a wide variety of food, so everyone is likely to find something they like. The atmosphere is fun. They have a well stocked bar. An all around great place to eat and drink!

Pros: excellent food, great atmosphere, variety

Cons: always busy

Return to Madison Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Weary Traveler closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.