The Good Life Wholefood Restaurant

Contact 01743-350455

73C Barracks Passage, Wyle Cop (at behind Lion Hotel), Shrewsbury, England, SY1 1XA

Family-friendly coffee shop and restaurant providing buffet style vegetarian and vegan dishes prepared daily using a combination of locally-sourced, organic, and fair trade produce. selection of salads in addition to oven baked jacket potatos, hot dishes like lasagna, lentil bakes, nut roasts, soups, plus desserts. Busy at lunch time. The staff is helpful to offer advice regarding special dietary requirements. Open Mon-Sat 9:00am-4:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Buffet, Salad bar, English

First Review by greysquirrel

Good for vegans - Edit

Staff are friendly and helpful. Only one main meal on offer for vegans (plus soup and salad), but it was a very nice bean cassoulet. Not a large helping but reasonably priced. Even better was the fact that two desserts were vegan, a pecan pie with ice cream and a crumble. The pie was really nice. Situated in an old building, which limits access for disabled customers. Worth visiting for vegans.

An old favourite! - Edit

I first came here in the 1980s and 1990s, and it's great that it's still going! I was here at the weekend with a relative and although the menu board didn't specify what was vegan there was a good range of options, including 3 of the 6 desserts. I chose a fab pecan pie (sweet), and a savoury ragu.

Pros: vegan desserts, nice range, friendly staff

Cons: doesn't label what's vegan

Fairly good food, but not that many vegan options - Edit

Several vegan options, but probably not as many as you'd expect from an all-vegetarian restaurant. The food, while much of it is not prepared on the spot but rather reheated in a microwave, was fairly good. The soup (vegetable) was especially nice (and was not microwaved, I think), while the ratatouille and side salads were good too (these were all vegan). There were several vegan desserts, which looked good, but we didn't have any.

The portion sizes are a bit small, so that the prices are moderate.

The food is ordered and received at a counter with many salads to choose as accompaniments, and we didn't have to wait long. The restaurant itself is cozy, which is nice, but also means it could become fairly crowded.

It's in a really nice location, down a small alley with old and interesting buildings.
Updated from previous review on Monday September 02, 2013

Pros: Quite tasty food, All-vegetarian

Cons: Microwaved food, Somewhat small portions, Only a few vegan options

Worth the wait - Edit

Having visited the Good Life several times for coffee and cakes, I finally made it there for a lunch. Worth the wait - not disappointed! A lovely spicy veggie dish with a side of lentil salad (all vegan) while my partner had a goats cheese lasagne. Portions not large, I must say... but they left room for delicious - and positively wicked - puds!

A mixed experience - Edit

I was very close to giving this venue the lowest score I have given to a restaurant or cafe so far at only two happy cows, but in the end I went for three. If I could have given two and a half I would! The main reason why I was so disappointed was the real lack of vegan options (only 1 hot dish was vegan) and the small size of the portion for the price. I also had to wait over 15 minutes at a counter to be served food which was heated in a microwave. Although the food was quite nice (I had ratatouille with side salads) I was still left hungry. Most things on the menu seemed to be drenched in animal milk cheese, and even the nut roast was non-vegan! The saving grace for this review was the vegan desserts available; out of a choice of two desserts, I had a great fruit crumble with Swedish Glace vegan ice cream which was very nice. Whilst I appreciate that this is the only veggie restaurant in a small town, it would have been nice if they had made more of an effort, especially for vegans but also in the value and quality of food served.

Pros: Nice dessert, Veggie restaurant in a small town

Cons: Lack of vegan options, Expensive with small portions, Slow service (at a counter)

Good Life, great food - Edit

The Good Life is to be found in one of Shrewsbury's historic alleys. I often pop in for lunch and there's always a warm friendly welcome from the staff. All food is freshly prepared which includes quiches, lasgne, chilli, baked potatos accompanied with your choice of homemade salads and there's usually a pot of steaming homemade soup bubbling away, delicious!! There are vegan options available to, which the staff are happy to show you. The puddings are are to die for especially the lemon pie!! I had the roasted vegetable and goats cheese quiche with salad, you get a good portion and reasonably priced, you can't go wrong.
If in Shrewsbury stop by you won't be disappointed.

Pros: Great food, Reasonably priced

lovely food, friendly staff. - Edit

I visited The Good Life with friends, some of whom are non-vegetarians, everyone thoroughly enjoyed their meals. It was nice to hear the praises from the non-veggies. Compliments for the wonderful menu and beautiful presentation. A thoroughly enjoyable experience made even better by the friendliness and efficiency of the staff. I look forward to my next visit.

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, nice atmosphere

We have been visiting Shrewsbury for years and the highlight of our day is lunch at The Good Life. We have never once been disappointed and have consistently received not just excellent veggie food, but excellent service as well. The whole place is very welcoming with a relaxed vibe. The chef has gone out of his way on each visit to ensure that my son, who has special dietry needs, is well catered for. Exceptionally fresh local produce - we love the savory jackets! If we lived nearer, we'd be tempted to have lunch there every day!

Pros: excellent food, friendly staff, fresh, local produce

Great food, atmosphere and staff... - Edit

...what more could one ask??!!

Please visit the Good Life if you are ever in the beautiful town of Shrewsbury for a not to be missed, home cooked and great value meal :0)

Keep up the good work - we will be back :0)

Pros: Amazing food, Friendly staff, Lovely atmosphere and surroundings

Cons: NONE!

Delicious! - Edit

We visited The Good Life following recommendations from friends and we were not disappointed! From the friendly service to the varied menu and lovely surroundings we enjoyed our meal from start to finish. I had home made quiche and salad (gorgeous) and my partner had the lasagne which he has not stopped raving about since. Will definitely be back to sample the rest of the menu!

Pros: excellent food, good value, friendly

80th birthday party - Edit

We were lucky enough to hire the Good Life in Shrewsbury on Sunday 4 July 2010, to celebrate my mother's 80th birthday; we had almost 40 guests, young and a bit older, not all of whom are vegetarian. I had no idea that you could hire out this venue - but you can, and for us it was absolutely perfect. There is a smaller dining area upstairs where the younger faction retired to and the downstairs was just fine for the older ones to eat and reminisce. I had organised the whole event by one telephone call and emails with the owner, Jo, as I live in Hampshire, but everything went swimmingly. The food ( most important! ) was , as usual, absolutely yummy and even our non vegetarian guests were very impressed and complimentary. We had a full choice of menu, from soup to quiches, nut loaves, hot dishes, salads and, of course, desserts ( including the lemon tart which, frankly, I would walk over hot coals to eat, it is just the business!! ) I cannot recommend this venue highly enough - yes, the area is small but fine for a party of 40, and the ambience is welcoming and not at all stuffy. The food is magnificent, the prices tremendous and the personalised service that we received second to none, and this all ensured that my mother had a party to remember. Jo, and staff, I take my hat off to you and offer you my sincere thanks.

Pros: Super food, large portions, excellent choice

The Good Life Shrewsbury - Edit

This seems to be the main place for veggies in Shrewsbury and as a previous H/C member has pointed out, it's great that a relatively small town has an exclusively vegetarian establishment. Staff were helpful and pleasant in highlighting the vegan options.

However for an exclusively veg cafe, on the day I visited the vegan options were pretty limited- soup and a tagine or salads. The soup was okay but the portion size was none too generous and the tagine was decent enough but not overwhelming. I was disappointed that the various nut roasts on display weren't vegan. Puddings looked nice and there were a couple of vegan options available but I didn't try them.

Portion sizes are not on the generous side for me and I'd need to order various side dishes to get a meal substantial enough to fill me up, but I am quite greedy. My dining companion tried the quiche and baked potato and said they were okay but not amazing.In fairness though this place seems popular with the locals so perhaps I was just unlucky in terms of the vegan choices on offer the day I visited.

Pros: location, staff

Cons: nut roast not vegan, portion size

The Good Life - Edit

Great selection of food and friendly staff. All in a building so ancient that it hardly seems capable of holding so many diners without collapsing into the alley outside.

Maybe the prices are a wee bit high but not greatly so and in any case it is worth paying to keep such an oasis thriving. Makes you wonder, really. If Shrewsbury can support such a popular totally vegetarian establishment why can't larger cities (like Leeds, for example) manage it?

Pros: good selection, tasty food, atmospheric premises

Cons: coffee not great

Return to Shrewsbury Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Good Life Wholefood Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 7595 times since Aug 2007.