The Glass Den

Contact 393545032

15 Urquhart St, Coburg, Victoria, 3058

Serves meat, vegan options available. A glass-walled light-filled space in the old Pentridge Prison, with roses outside. In 2015 it added more vegan choices. Has vegan specials and smoothies as blackboard items in addition to the menu options like chia pudding, maple muesli and coconut hotcakes, vegan big breakfast. Open Mon-Fri 7:00am-4:00pm, Sat-Sun 8:00am-4:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Western, Fusion, Australian, Non-veg

First Review by Aloo

Den of delights - Edit

Great to see a modern cafe with a high quality selection of Vegan & Vegan Option meals available. Really enjoyed the portabello burger and chips on this visit. Keen to come back soon!

Pros: Vegan options, Friendly staff, Interesting environment

new favourite - Edit

Coburg is killing it in the vegan-friendly cafe stakes lately. This is the second time I've been sitting somewhere, mid-meal, and been inspired to write a glowing review for HC right away!

The Glass Den goes way beyond most cafes listed "vegan friendly" on HC. They really deserve the label. I'd guess about 1/4 menu items are vegan with a further 1/4 vegan optional. And it's a really creative menu! First visit I had the breakfast soba and it has to be one of the best vegan dishes I've eaten out, imo. Had everything I love. Perfect balance of fresh and green (piles of fresh kale) crunchy and fried (polenta crusted oyster mushroom) and crispy (smoked coconut and kale chips) and silky, slippery soba noodles. Second time I started with an espresso frappe featuring almond milk and coconut ice cream. I love that this is a standard menu item, not a veganised version. I rarely order a raw dish but this time I was tempted by the raw pizza special. I think it was the beetroot mousse, olive soil, and pickled cabbage that sold me. It's delicious. They kitchen have actually done an amazing job of creating a "pizza" flavour but with freshness and variety of textures.

It ain't cheap but I believe it's good value. I've started treating myself to a meal here every other Saturday after a yoga class and really feel like it's worth it as a treat. Look forward to trying everything on the menu but also find it hard to go past that soba. If HC let you rate veg friendly places 5 stars, I'd definitely give Glass Den full marks.

Went for Coffee, Stayed for Lunch. - Edit

We wanted to check out this cafe and intended to have a coffee, however, after looking at the menu, we decided to stay for lunch and were so glad we did. There is quite an interesting and comprehensive range of vegan dishes to choose from, in fact most of the menu items can be made vegan. The serves are reasonably sized for the price with fresh ingredients attractively presented. We ordered the Portobello Burger and Mushroom Taco, both very flavoursome and enjoyable (the coffee was good too). Equally impressive was the service we received from our waitress who brought the food. We told her we were sharing and she asked if we wanted plates and if we wanted the Burger cut in half in the kitchen, whilst also replenishing our water bottle. As she left she also said "if you need anything else, please let me know". The Glass Den, in our opinion, is a first class establishment and we will definitely return. It's a shame we are only allowed to give a maximum of 4 stars as it is not fully vegetarian/vegan.

Pros: Lots of vegan options, Excellent service

Cons: Not open at night.

good vegan hot cakes - Edit

We have only been here once and had the coconut hot cakes which were great. They serve meat but have a lot of vegan options which I think is quite rare in the coburg area for cafes so it's great. Will definitely be going back to try more things. Big space with lots of tables which is good

Pros: big space, lots of vegan options

Cons: serves meat

Not prison food - Edit

In the old Pentridge Prison complex, sits this humble looking cafe. It's lovely inside, with outdoor seating at the back and front. Beautiful garden surrounds and great service.

It is both vegan friendly and suitable for those on gluten free diets as well. Everything is clearly marked on the menu, and there is quite a range. I enjoyed a wanton salad - all vegan. It was tasty, with all the intricacies of Asian flavours.

Drink-wise, they have smoothies, crushes, great coffee and choice of milks, including coconut milk and almond.

Prices are reasonable too.

Pros: Surrounds, Service, Choices

Cons: Can be a little noisy

Return to Coburg Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Glass Den closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 573 times since Oct 2015.