The Drift Inn

• Veg-friendly
Contact 541-547-4477

124 Hwy 101 N, Yachats, Oregon, USA, 97498

Serves meat, vegan options available. Historic pub and cafe. Has several vegan choices which are clearly marked. Note only one fryer in the kitchen that's also used for fish. Casual family-friendly atmosphere with a full bar and a small gift shop selling locally-made crafts and jewelry. Live music at night.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, International, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by Popster

Excellent! - Edit

Live music, delicious food and local flavor! Definitely try the spicy yam empanadas, they are divine! 5 on the plate was very filling and such a treat. If I were to come back to this area, I'd definitely eat here again,

Pros: many vegan options!

Expensive, Inadequate Portions, Rather Tasteless - Edit

My friends and I stopped at the Drift Inn last week on our drive down the Oregon coast. We found it using the Happy Cow iPhone app. We were really hungry after a long weekend of camping.

We had the samosas as an appetizer which were bite-size, bland (as already mentioned in the previous review), and overpriced at $8 (they served us five tiny samosas - that's almost $2 per tiny, tasteless, samosa...grr).

For entrees one of us ordered the Wild King Salmon. I ordered the Caribbean Noodle Bowl with tempeh. My fiance ordered the Thai Noodle Bowl with tempeh.

When all three plates came out from the kitchen, the three of us looked at each other and immediately we wondered where the rest of our food was. At $17 for the salmon plate and $12 each for the noodle bowls, I guess we were expecting larger portions. The salmon came with sides of seasoned veggies and fried potatoes which, to the Drift Inn, equals a bite-size piece of broccoli, a baby carrot, some parsley, and six potato cubes - it was so laughable that we even bothered to ask our waitress about the portions on the salmon plate. She told us it was a normal plate size as the salmon is caught locally from the wild. That didn't, however, explain the sorry excuse for seasoned vegetables and fried potatoes on the side. My friend also said the salmon tasted good, but not excellent, not worth $17 for the portion he received.

The noodle bowls were equally disappointing in portion size and appallingly tasteless. A caribbean noodle bowl should have some WABAM! flavor to it - but the Drift Inn's noodle bowl tasted like I was eating any other tempeh/noodle/veggie dish with a bland cream sauce. My fiance had the same opinion about her Thai noodle bowl.

We left quite angry, still hungry, and feeling like we spent a small fortune on food that we didn't like at all and could have prepared more tastefully on our Coleman grill on the sidewalk outside the restaurant.

If I were ever driving down the Oregon coast again, I'd drive right past the Drift Inn and wait until I reached Florence for some eats.

Pros: Comfortable Atmosphere, Good Service

Cons: Tasteless, Expensive, Small Portions

The Drift Inn - Gem of the Oregon (Vegan) Coast - Edit

We were absolutely delighted to find a vegan-friendly restaurant in Yachats! A restaurant in a tiny town that offers tempeh? Sign me up! They actually indicate vegan options (and gluten-free ones as well) on the menu, and this includes breakfast, lunch, and dinner. We got the Indian samosas as an appetizer, which unfortunately were not very good, in my opinion. My boyfriend and I ordered the taco salad (sans cheese) with tempeh and the Persian Bowl. The taco salad was pretty good, but the Persian Bowl was out of this world! So unique and delicious! The atmosphere of the place is charming and wonderful, and they have live music every night of the week. Major bonus points! The only negative thing I can say is that their menu is leather-bound, so you'll have to hold onto a piece of cow skin while you decide on what to eat. :( But, all in all, this is an amazing find for vegans traveling on the Oregon Coast. I plan to go back during our 2-day stay in Yachats. Oh, and our server, Kyle, was very sweet and eager to please. The Drift Inn is highly recommended! (I'd give it 5 stars, but Happy Cow will only allow a maximum of 4 stars for non-veg restaurants.)

Pros: Vegan food in an unexpected place!, Great atmosphere, Friendly staff

Cons: Leather-bound menu

Return to Yachats Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The Drift Inn closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 800 times since Apr 2012.