Vegan-friendly
American
Organic
Non-veg

Serves meat, vegan options available. Offers healthy food and house-made kombucha on tap. Previously known as Conscious Culture Cafe. Open Mon-Thu 8:00am-9:00pm, Fri-Sat 8:00am-10:00pm, Sun 8:00am-9:00pm.

Venue map for The Booch Bar
© OpenStreetMap contributors

First Review by Bekah B

Jessica_Marie

Points +408

18 Feb 2024

Tasty

Funky Cafe with character. I had the tempeh BLT and it was great. The salad was very fresh too. Enjoyed the flight of booch as well

Pros: Creative menu options, High end Cafe food

rebmorel

Points +56

11 Feb 2024

Delicious Breakfast

We tried two of their vegan breakfast items: Banana Walnut Sourdough French Toast (sweet) and the Verde Vegano (savoury). Both options were quite delicious! I'm hoping to go back for their lunch/dinner menu before we leave the island! Oh and the kombucha on tap was also delicious!

Pros: Kombucha, Vegan options for any meal of the day

MollyHurley

Points +27

09 Feb 2024

Clean, flavorful, yummy

had a lovely tlta w/ the purple sweet potato salad. also a booch flight. great hybrid place for vegans non-vegan friends

jessicapinsk

Points +84

02 Jan 2024

yummy sandwich

we got the veg head with a side of green salad. the sandwich was delicious and refreshing! there’s a ton of other vegan options like tempeh sandwiches, tacos, tostadas, a veggie burger, etc. it’s a great place to check out!

caronjuneen

Points +94

Non Veg
12 Dec 2023

Yumm!

I had the on tap Root Booch and my husband had a Virgin Mary Marley. Both were yummy! We ordered the Vegan Tostada and Jerk Chicken Tostada because we weren’t that hungry. Both were yummy they were served in a small bowl, and it was very hard to eat. I recommend serving tostadas on a larger plate so you can either pick it up or cut it.

Pros: On tap Kombucha, Fun flavors with or without alcohol

LittleVegan_

Points +565

03 Oct 2023

Very good Tempeh BLTA!

I really enjoyed their Tempeh BLTA. I ordered it with a side salad. The location looked really artistic and fun. I wish there would have a bit more seating areas but other than that I would come back.

LindsayLorente

Points +24

30 Aug 2023

AMAZING!!!

Died for the vegan Ruben that had homemade dill kraut. Ate it all too fast to take a picture. I think this place deserves 5 stars! Major plus is that family members that’s are not vegan can enjoy fresh fish tacos that they said were delicious.

Pros: Amazing homemade kraut , Salad fresh with homemade vegan Cesar dressing, Unreal vegan gelato

KellyRead

Points +337

31 Jul 2023

Delicious, filling tacos

Loved these vegan tacos. Huge serve and well thought out menu. Very satisfying!

Pros: Big serving size, Multiple, well labelled vegan options, Healthy options

BorisBoukhonine

Points +64

31 May 2023

Vegan burger on point

Great vegan burger, washed down with tasty ice cold kombucha. Open fairly late for Hilo, which is a big plus. Would give five stars were it a fully vegan place.

mikgvb

Points +16

13 Mar 2023

Fantastic vegan options!

It's too bad HappyCow doesn't allow five star ratings for places with robust vegan and vegetarian offerings, because The Booch Bar deserves five stars. The vegan food here is really great (the Veg Head sandwich is my favorite sandwich on the island), the portions are big, the price is lower than what many restaurants charge for similar fare, the staff is kind, and the kombucha is delicious (if you're into that sort of thing).

Any time we have to go into Hilo for an afternoon of errands, we make a point of stopping in for lunch and it never disappoints. They always have vegan soup options, and their Cesar salad is made with vegan dressing (though they finish it off with a handful of parmesan, so be sure to ask for it without the cheese!). They also have Big Island Brewhaus on tap!

Sure, they crank reggae all day long, which can be incredibly annoying (that's just my bias, though – I hate that music) but that just goes to show you how great the food is – if I'm willing to listen to reggae for an hour in order to have a delicious lunch, then you know the food is worth it.

Pros: Many vegan and vegetarian options, Delicious food, Affordable

Cons: Reggae

vickerbasket

Points +1039

Mostly Veg
12 Feb 2023

Refreshing

Don’t make the same mistake we did and go to “Big Island Booch Kombucha” and wind up at a warehouse. We called and they kindly directed us to the right place.

We each got a light of 4: 3 kombuchas and the jun. the jun was my favorite, so light but fresh! The turmeric ginger was my second favorite. But honestly all of them were good. The rose was good as well.

J0lene

Points +30

01 Feb 2023

Tons of veggie/vegan options!

One of the better tempeh Reubens I’ve had! (And I’ve had my share of them, haha.) The tempeh had been marinated, had a lot of flavor, and wasn’t too dry. The mushroom bibimbap was great, too, although I wish it had some tofu or other protein. Really enjoyed the ginger turmeric kombucha, too. The place was packed for lunch, which is always a good sign. Nice chill hippie vibe there. Recommended!

MandyC.

Points +26

28 Sep 2022

Lots of vegan and vegetarian options. Good food and large portions.

I have eaten there a few times and have been very happy with the quality of the food. I love their tempeh Reuben with sauerkrauts and their salads .

Pros: Lots of vegan options , Big portions, Great tasting

Cons: No waitress service

DrinkNature

Points +100

Mostly Veg
15 Jul 2022

Never Miss This Place When On Big Island.

We first discovered this place in 2016 when it was known as Conscious Culture. This is the place that got my husband to drink kombucha. Would never try it before. We drink kombucha all over North America and still this is the best variety we’ve ever had. Even if we were staying in the Kilauea area we would drive back into town to get booch. We still have the glass take away bottles. Can’t wait to return in a couple of months.

Pros: Vegans, no problem finding something delicious, The best Kombucha anywhere, Chill vibe

greenfingers

Points +56

22 Apr 2022

Great options

Lots of options for breakfast and lunch. Burgers are generous portions due to the sides that come with the sizeable burger. Breakfast Sammie is very good, as are the smoothies... and everything I've had here

Pros: Lots of menu options, Fresh and delicious

Cons: Serves fish too

cmarie314

Points +96

24 Mar 2022

Very yummy!

There were many vegan options here. I got the BLTA which had tempeh, avocado, lettuce, and tomato. I added their cashew cheese to it, and got the potato salad. All but one of their sides are vegan too.

Pros: Lots of vegan options, Vegan sides

Cons: Serves meat

SouthernmostVegan

Points +1576

21 Mar 2022

Delicious breakfast

We thoroughly enjoyed our breakfast. We ordered the French toast, the Verdant Vegan, a side of tempeh bacon, and black beans. All were great, but the French toast was outstanding.

Unfortunately, the nitro cold brew was just a weak cold brew. Maybe their tap was broken.

Barney72

Points +55

12 Feb 2022

Awesome food

Lots of choice for both vegan and gluten-free. I had the Conscious Burger which was yummy and very filling. I also had the vegan brownie ‘to go’

coug94

Points +25

08 Feb 2022

Excellent vegan options

Staff is very friendly. Vegan tacos and taco salad are fabulous. Best vegan food we have had on the island! #Veganuary

marconicoli

Points +145

23 Dec 2021

Tasty and plenty of V options

Delicious and plenty of vegan / vegetarian options. Friendly.

Pros: Many vegan options, Options marked, Tasty and friendly

valerie_california

Points +137

26 Jul 2021

Tempeh tacos!

Excellent spot for a casual lunch or dinner. We both had "Matty's Tempeh Street Tacos" and were super pleased. The tacos came with a side of rice and beans and were piled high with tempeh-based chorizo, kraut, greens, and cashew crema. Virtually everyone in the restaurant that day was eating tacos, so we knew we chose wisely. We had the ginger turmeric kombucha which was exactly what we were looking for – flavorful but not sweet. Highly recommend this spot!

Pros: Clearly labeled vegan options, Unique kombucha flavors

schneitmm88

Points +62

13 May 2021

Delicious!

Booch bar was a great stop in Hilo. Clearly labeled vegan options on the menu. Veghead sandwich was awesome. Vegan desserts as well! Lots of different kombucha flavors

Pros: Clearly labeled vegan options , Vegan desserts

RachGsail

Points +20

23 Apr 2021

Kombucha!

Great find! Especially if you like kombucha. Great vegan and gluten free options. Also great options for non-vegan goers! The vegan ice cream they have that is made on the island Nicoco is AMAZING! Great little spot, happy we found!

Kevbromley

Points +481

12 Apr 2021

Very average

Got the BLTA which was nice enough but nothing special. Service was not great - tables filthy and food sat for ages on the counter for not much reason

Pros: Some vegan choice

Cons: Sloppy service, Average food

DinaBird

Points +80

27 Dec 2019

So yummy!!

So good. And so many gluten free vegan options.

Pros: Many vegan options , Many gluten free options , Some meat options for my non-vegan family

LeslieCrehan

Points +15

03 Dec 2019

Great Vegan, vegetarian and other options

This restaurant was absolutely spectacular!! It had a wide variety of vegan, vegetarian, and pescatarian options. They had 11 refreshing flavors of homemade komabacha and real fruit smoothies. We orderd the tempe tacos, portabella mushroom burger and kale ceaser salad. The food was delicious and service was excellent. The staff was very flexible and could accommodate picky eaters. The atmosphere was very causal and we would definitely come back. We would have given 5 stars, but Happy Cow will only allow for 4 because the restaurant serves fish and chicken.

NegroGrylls

Points +26

24 Aug 2019

Lovely place!

Very nice selections

Pros: Amazing food and smoothies and good vibes