The 13th Note

0141-553-1638

50-60 King Street, Glasgow, Scotland,

Music venue and vego eatery. Mostly vegan. Varied food menus are served in the bar and in the dining cafe area until 10 pm. Starters/tapas, veggie burgers, hot plates, pizza, and more. Brunch on weekends. Children welcome 'til 6.30pm. Live music in the downstairs 'notecave' every night. Open Mon-Sun 12:00am-12:00am, Mon-Sun 12:00pm-12:00am.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, International, Western, Beer

First Review by Stevie

Funky place, great food - Edit

This place does amazing food and also offers a discount for Vegan Society membership. It's attached to a pub so can be a bit noisy. Children welcome in the restaurant area till 8pm. I recommend the dhal - it's meant to be a starter but it's quite a big bowl - I usually ask for an extra flatbread and share it. Also their cheesecake is to die for!

Pros: Mostly vegan

Cons: Can be a little noisy

Unlucky 13 - Edit

We visited here recently after booking a table in advance. Things did not get off to a good start as we were told that one of the starters and 3 main dishes had sold out all before 7.30pm. This limited us slightly to the Sri Lankan masala for mains from the Asian/south American menu, which left us a little disappointed especially as we really wanted to try the katsu curry. How can a restaurant have so many main dishes off the menu that early into the evening? Aside from that the overall meal was lovely and for a starter we ordered the butterbean and garlic pate and baked flat mushroom to share. The pate particularly was divine and a perfect starter. The Sri Lankan masala (extra spicy) was stunning and perfectly spiced and packed full of flavour. For dessert we ordered the sticky toffee pudding and lemon cheesecake and again both dishes were nice but the cheesecake could have had more base perhaps. We also had vegan wine with the meal too, which was nice. The atmosphere was also great with some music playing. I hope the food issues were just a one off but this needs to be addressed for future evening diners. We will go back but only during the day to eat or for late night drinks.

Pros: Good vegan options, Inexpensive, Nice staff and vibe

Cons: Best to visit during the day, Some dishes were unavailable

very nice place - Edit

cozy bar/restaurant with lots of vegan dishes. vegetarian dishes are labelled (v). friendly staff, good quality. came here first directly from the airport.

must try the burgers!

Pros: good quality , mostly vegan, vegan beers

Pleasant cafe - Edit

Informal eatery, nothing fancy. Tasty food - very simple and erring on the fast food side of food. Friendly service. Mainly vegan.

Pros: Good coffee, friendly staff

Cons: Slightly bland menu

An excellant night out - Edit

A really enjoyable evening. Food was excellant. Good choice ranging from vegan haggis to gnochi and cauliflower. Good selection of wine and beer and all very reasonably priced. Atmosphere was like a pub. Large bar with a restaurant. Live music venue underneath the bar.

Pros: Food was excellant, Food was very reasonably priced, Good service

Cons: Music from the cellar stage was off putting, Music was a bit loud. A place for a night out, not

restaurant and bar - Edit

Food was ok. Big attraction is that you kinda could think of it as a pub.

Best chips - Edit

We had the burger and chips, and especially the rosemary-salted chips are delicious! Staff very friendly too, the waitress seemed genuinely happy with the tip we gave her.

Pros: Food, Friendly staff, Vegan

Cons: Can be a bit noisy

Delicious veg pub food - Edit

We visited during the week, so unfortunately we didn't get to try to exciting-looking brunch menu, but the food that we did try - chips, veg BLT and chocolate cake - were still very good. The space is large, light (at least during the day) and comfortable.

Pros: Extensive menu, especially at weekends, Good food, Lots of seating, good space

great food in a nice setting - Edit

Restaurant style dining in a pub. Diverse options (not just pub grub). Lots of drink options. Huge portions

Pros: yummy, big portions, nice atmosphere

Dog friendly pub with food - Edit

Definitely a pub that sells food instead of a restaurant or cafe. They serve food across the entire pub but there is a section reserved for dining. Tasty food at very good prices.

One thing to note instead of things being marked as vegan, things that are not vegan are marked as vegetarian.

Dogs more than welcome as are bicycles.

Pros: Dog friendly, Bike parking

they let dogs in! - Edit

The food was amazing and staff were very friendly! Fingers crossed they will be hiring soon ;)
I had the Vietnamese noodles which were not only great but very close to the real thing and vegan!!!
And they let our dog sit with us in the bar area! Huge thumbs up!

Great place for a fun night - Edit

I've been hear a lot but recently visited for my hen night. The food was great! I think they have the best vegan cheesecake I've ever eaten and the lemongrass Rice cakes were amazing! The staff were friendly and helpful wich made the whole experience good fun.

Pros: best cheesecake ever, really good service

Cons: Barking dog often there

Rock'n'roll place with rock'n'roll food - Edit

The restaurant is not 100% vegan but you can easily find vegan options on the menu.
My husband and I tried the full English breakfast and it was delicious!!
The fries were mentionned as being the best in Glasgow so we had to try them as well and I admit these were the best fries I'd ever eaten, crispy and tasty!!!
Staff was really friendly and the restaurant has a cosy atmosphere...

Pros: Best fries ever!!, Big portions, Lots of vegan options

A bit disapointed - Edit

I was really looking forward to eating here after reading the reviews on Happy Cow but ended up leaving disappointed, especially as I had taken three meat eating friend with me. The service was good and I opted for the vegi burger and chips. The burger was tasteless, I'd expect better from a 100% vegi cafe. the chip limp not crisp on the outside and fluffy inside as you'd expect a chip to be. The toffee apple pudding was OK but nothing to get excited about. They did make us espresso martini's which where not on the menu and only a fiver. Someone working behind the bar had their dog tied to the bar and it barked a lot though out our meal. The decor could do with an update, I will try again but not before I have checked out other places when next in town.

Another Great Option - Edit

In a city with many choices for the vegan, this is certainly worth considering. There is a varied menu with most of it vegan, and while the coeliac options are limited, they are clearly marked. The separate dining area makes for a more restful dining experience than some of the alternatives. I've generally had very positive experiences here and look forward to many future visits.

Pros: Friendly Staff, Separate Dining Area, Good Value

Cons: Can Be Busy, Service Can Vary

A Glasgow classic - Edit

A wee gem of a Glasgow bar. Best vegan cheesecake I have ever tasted. And a great jukebox too. Many happy memories and full bellies here.

Pros: The cheesecake is to die for, brilliant veggie burger, good music

Cons: toilets need a makeover

KathrynV 03 Jul 2014 - Dear Gill,

thank you for taking the time to share your 13th Note experience. We agree, our cheesecake is delicious and unbelievably 100% vegan friendly!

We look forward to seeing you again.

Kathryn Veroni,
Duty Manager

good food and ale - Edit

Glasgow's great for vegan options. This is a great place for informal dining, good quality food and drink.

great bar - Edit

i had lunch with a non veg friend here and we were both very happy.

i have been here on many occasions for gigs but had never eaten. 13th note is a great bar on its own and the food only adds to that experience.
they tend to offer a cheap meal deal with a drink but also have an extensive menu.
plenty of options for vegans, lots of bar snacks and a great option if in the wild west.

Pros: staff, loads of choice

Return to Glasgow Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The 13th Note closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.