The 13th Note

Contact 0141-553-1638

50-60 King Street, Glasgow, Scotland,

Music venue and vego eatery. Mostly vegan. Varied food menus are served in the bar and in the dining cafe area until 10 pm. Starters/tapas, veggie burgers, hot plates, pizza, and more. Brunch on weekends. Children welcome 'til 6.30pm. Live music in the downstairs 'notecave' every night. Open Mon-Sun 12:00am-12:00am, Mon-Sun 12:00pm-12:00am.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, International, Western, Beer

First Review by Stevie

Pleasant cafe - Edit

Informal eatery, nothing fancy. Tasty food - very simple and erring on the fast food side of food. Friendly service. Mainly vegan.

Pros: Good coffee, friendly staff

Cons: Slightly bland menu

An excellant night out - Edit

A really enjoyable evening. Food was excellant. Good choice ranging from vegan haggis to gnochi and cauliflower. Good selection of wine and beer and all very reasonably priced. Atmosphere was like a pub. Large bar with a restaurant. Live music venue underneath the bar.

Pros: Food was excellant, Food was very reasonably priced, Good service

Cons: Music from the cellar stage was off putting, Music was a bit loud. A place for a night out, not

Best chips - Edit

We had the burger and chips, and especially the rosemary-salted chips are delicious! Staff very friendly too, the waitress seemed genuinely happy with the tip we gave her.

Pros: Food, Friendly staff, Vegan

Cons: Can be a bit noisy

Delicious veg pub food - Edit

We visited during the week, so unfortunately we didn't get to try to exciting-looking brunch menu, but the food that we did try - chips, veg BLT and chocolate cake - were still very good. The space is large, light (at least during the day) and comfortable.

Pros: Extensive menu, especially at weekends, Good food, Lots of seating, good space

Dog friendly pub with food - Edit

Definitely a pub that sells food instead of a restaurant or cafe. They serve food across the entire pub but there is a section reserved for dining. Tasty food at very good prices.

One thing to note instead of things being marked as vegan, things that are not vegan are marked as vegetarian.

Dogs more than welcome as are bicycles.

Pros: Dog friendly, Bike parking

they let dogs in! - Edit

The food was amazing and staff were very friendly! Fingers crossed they will be hiring soon ;)
I had the Vietnamese noodles which were not only great but very close to the real thing and vegan!!!
And they let our dog sit with us in the bar area! Huge thumbs up!

Great place for a fun night - Edit

I've been hear a lot but recently visited for my hen night. The food was great! I think they have the best vegan cheesecake I've ever eaten and the lemongrass Rice cakes were amazing! The staff were friendly and helpful wich made the whole experience good fun.

Pros: best cheesecake ever, really good service

Cons: Barking dog often there

Rock'n'roll place with rock'n'roll food - Edit

The restaurant is not 100% vegan but you can easily find vegan options on the menu.
My husband and I tried the full English breakfast and it was delicious!!
The fries were mentionned as being the best in Glasgow so we had to try them as well and I admit these were the best fries I'd ever eaten, crispy and tasty!!!
Staff was really friendly and the restaurant has a cosy atmosphere...

Pros: Best fries ever!!, Big portions, Lots of vegan options

A bit disapointed - Edit

I was really looking forward to eating here after reading the reviews on Happy Cow but ended up leaving disappointed, especially as I had taken three meat eating friend with me. The service was good and I opted for the vegi burger and chips. The burger was tasteless, I'd expect better from a 100% vegi cafe. the chip limp not crisp on the outside and fluffy inside as you'd expect a chip to be. The toffee apple pudding was OK but nothing to get excited about. They did make us espresso martini's which where not on the menu and only a fiver. Someone working behind the bar had their dog tied to the bar and it barked a lot though out our meal. The decor could do with an update, I will try again but not before I have checked out other places when next in town.

Another Great Option - Edit

In a city with many choices for the vegan, this is certainly worth considering. There is a varied menu with most of it vegan, and while the coeliac options are limited, they are clearly marked. The separate dining area makes for a more restful dining experience than some of the alternatives. I've generally had very positive experiences here and look forward to many future visits.

Pros: Friendly Staff, Separate Dining Area, Good Value

Cons: Can Be Busy, Service Can Vary

A Glasgow classic - Edit

A wee gem of a Glasgow bar. Best vegan cheesecake I have ever tasted. And a great jukebox too. Many happy memories and full bellies here.

Pros: The cheesecake is to die for, brilliant veggie burger, good music

Cons: toilets need a makeover

great bar - Edit

i had lunch with a non veg friend here and we were both very happy.

i have been here on many occasions for gigs but had never eaten. 13th note is a great bar on its own and the food only adds to that experience.
they tend to offer a cheap meal deal with a drink but also have an extensive menu.
plenty of options for vegans, lots of bar snacks and a great option if in the wild west.

Pros: staff, loads of choice

simply great food! - Edit

Had dinner there tonight and both my mother and I had the aubergine and garlic soup and the hummus. Very delicious and wholesome. Would recommend to go and try it out.

Pros: good menu, nice atmosphere, good food

Cons: not very well signed, map maker incorrect

All this and real ale too - Edit

On a recent visit to Glasgow we went to 13th Note for lunch. Friendly and welcoming service, if a little slow. Wonderfully varied menu, but I went for a 'brunch' of 'huevos mexicanos' - scrambled tofu, something I've never had before but was delicious. The portion was small but really filling. And a great choice of real ales from Williams Brothers... I had a lovely one called Birds & Bees.
I'm amazed to find out there's such a big veggie/vegan pub scene in Glasgow! I'll definitely go back to 13th Note but will also have to try some of the many other veggie venues in this most surprising of cities.

Awesome veggie bar in Glasgow - Edit

You basically have to look up to see the sign, which is at the top of the entrance. There's also a large "V" on the floor as you enter this restaurant/bar, to help guide you in the veggie direction? I thought it was clever and cute. I went to the bar to order my take-away. I played it safe and ordered the spicy veggie burger with cajun spicy chips, and the sticky toffee pudding. Everything I had was delicious. And I was advised that this place is 99% vegan (the food anyway), basically avoid the non-vegan cheeses and you're good to go. The girl at the bar was very friendly. I went during the day, so I didn't have to endure any crowds. It's large though, with plenty of seating. Inexpensive menu, as I found to be the general case in Scotland. I'd like to go back and hang out next time, instead of grabbing and going. 13th Note is def on my "return to" list and I'm glad I took the time to find it.

Pros: awesome vegan food, inexpensive, friendly staff; open late

Music to my ears - Edit

It can be hard to find, when I was first looking for it I couldn't find it- instead I ended up at mono. The sign is extremely small.
But luckily I did find it, its a very different place from Mono (which is literally a stones throw away). More "spit'n'sawdust" than the clean cut presentation at Mono. 13th Note have some really good deals on their burgers, personally if I had to try one I'd try the falafel burger- its scrumptious. One major downside is that it can get very busy with all the drinkers

Pros: Comfort Food, Good Value, Friendly Staff

Cons: Annoying Drunks

Lucky 13... - Edit

13th Note is a charming restaurant. If another place attempted to copy the inside of the place then they would fail horribly. It's dingy look is appealing. They have posters covering the walls promoting all sorts of music and events in Glasgow. It's more enviromental friendly than buying the List or the Skinny. (which I sincerly hope you all recycle after reading!) The food in the 13th Note has really improved since I last went and it's great. I crave their veggie burger with cheese. It's good in price as well. They have a pint and a veggie burger deal right now. £4.50 and that is limited for certain days and times. Worth a grab before you go downstairs to see a gig! My favourite part of the restaurant is the fortnightly artwork exhibt they have on the walls at the restuarant part featuring different works of different creative people. It's a chance to see artists that won't normally be showcased mainstream. :)

Pros: Excellent food, friendly staff

Cons: downstairs venue is small, Friday night drunks can be annoying

My second home! - Edit

Once upon a time when I lived in Edinburgh me and my friends would makes pilgrimages through to Glasgow just to eat at the 13th note. Even meat eating friends we sometimes brought along were blown away by the menu there. The place is big and roomy yet cosy,split into a bar and a smaller restaurant area, and a music venue downstairs. Every time I go, at any time of day, theres great music, cool arty and music'y people hanging out, and food that is worth travelling a long way for.
The vegan BLT, spicy chps and chocolate cheesecake are to die for!
I loveloveloveLOVE the 13th note, it's my second home.

Pros: Amazing food, Buzzing, relaxed,friendly atmosphere, Great staff

Cons: Absolutely nothing!

Glasgow is so impressive!!! - Edit

I can't believe the quality & quantity of the Vegan Pub scene here in Glasgow! It has to be the most impressive in the world. The 13th Note is huge and you can get food from the bar or sit in the Cafe in the back. The Club Sandwich was good (i subbed mustard for mayo) the Spicy Vegan Burger was not good, but the chili I got on top worked like a sloppy joe when I removed the rock burger. Redemption was the hot Banana Chocolate cake with toffee :) To be split of course after a long day of walking around Glasgow!

Pros: club sandwich , banana chocolate cake

Cons: v burger too hard

Good but not great - Edit

The first thing to note is that food is served only until 9, not 10. The menu has only a limited number of items but they are very varied. The portions appear small when they arrive, but are both delicious and satisfying. Very good value indeed. This resteraunt is an adjunct to a bar (not busy or noisy on my visit) and has a slightly earnest, canteeny feel about it. However, that's true of many veggie/vegan places and fine by me, and they bring drinks from the bar to your table.

Pros: good value, pleasant staff, good bar

Cons: closes early

Favourite veggie restaurant - Edit

I have been to the 13th Note many times over the years and it has never disapointed. The food is so good and varied that I've never had problems taking meat eaters there too. Even after living in London and trying many vegetarian restaurants down there, the 13th Note still remains as my favourite. Friendly atmosphere, good food, low prices.

Pros: huge portions, healthy, cheap

Cons: several quorn/soya items

Mediocre food, terrible service - Edit

My fiancé and I went for Valentine's Day (a Saturday), and they only had 3 front-of-house staff working. The menu was confusing (marked non-vegan stuff with V even though more seemed non-vegan than vegan) and service was slow. After trying for 10-15 minutes to get someone's attention, we were finally able to ask for a bottle of ketchup and a glass of water. After another 5-10 minutes of waiting, my fiance finally got up and grabbed ketchup from a cleared table and went to the bar for my water. By that time, the food was cold. We even had to wait to be able to pay the check. When we complained about the service, the staff was dismissive. Had the service been better, we would've spent another £10+, but now we won't be going back at all.

Pros: good vegan selection, reasonably priced

Cons: slow service, mediocre food, confusing menu

More of a bar than a place for food - Edit

Don't get me wrong, the food here is good and there is an impressive range. Lots of bar snacks and also a designated dining area at the rear. However, you feel more in a drinking / music establishment rather than an eating place. Not that there's anything wrong with this. Personally, I'd rather come here for a few beers and maybe a light meal or bar snack and chill for a few hours. Friendly place and located just across the road from vegan Mono.

Pros: great bar snacks, friendly, live music

Cons: some non veggie beers

Tasty! - Edit

This was a chilled out place with very helpful staff.
We had the meze & risotto cakes with curry & it was delicious. I would recommend people to stop by here for a nice lunch.

Pros: lovely food, helpful staff, good value

Cons: Goths

Great Venue - Edit

Visited in May 07. I was feeling unwell so didn't have any food but both the bar and cafe menus looked delicious. The venue is a student hang out and we being 30 plus felt a bit older than the rest but it was a friday night! Woundn't put me off going back to try it out properly if I was in Glasgow again.

Pros: It's a Bar and Cafe, Good menu range

Cons: Mostly student crowd

Pretty differnt to all the places I have been to - Edit

This place is really big. As said before, there are two different sections. The one, where you get food served is smaller and for my taste unfortunately a little less comfortable than the bar section. But still nice. You get served and have a wide variety of vegan options. On this menu everything labeled with a "v" means that it is vegetarian, thus contains dairy or eggs and is NOT vegan. This is unlike other places, where the vegan options are labeled. It makes the place very cool and different! They state on the menu, that they strikly separate vegan food from vegetarian, that the foods are prepared in different areas and the cutlery to prepare the food is seperated also. This is very awesome. Especially for those with allergies! But for strict vegans this is a very good information as well!
There is day menu until 5 and a different one for the night, until the kitchen closes. The food is good and the Staff is really really friendly! The prices are normal to cheap. I can only recommend this place! The bar is open late, if you want to enjoy a good bear after the meal with your friends. They do not have organic soda though and as far as I remember nothing is organic.

Pros: a LOT of vegan options, Non smoking, very relaxed and friendly

The 13th Note, Glasgow - Edit

A while since I have been to the 13th Note but I've been on 3 or 4 occasions. Vegetarian and Vegan society approved (see the menu section on the cafe's website) I've enjoyed the food here on every visit. The cafe is towards the back of a music bar / club. Upstairs in the bar I've heard the Ramones belting out of the speakers, downstairs is a live music club.

Located on King St close to the river.

Pros: Plenty of vegan options, Tasty food

Return to Glasgow Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has The 13th Note closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 7394 times since Aug 2007.