Thai Thai Restaurant

808-967-7969

19-4084 Volcano Rd (at The Big Island), Volcano Village, Hawaii, USA, 96785

Serves meat, vegan options available. Family-run Thai food restaurant. Menu is rather meat-heavy but does offer tofu option. Let your server know if you're veg/vegan. Open Mon-Sun 11:30am-9:00pm.

Categories: Ovo, Thai, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by DWNPhoto

Very disappointing! Vegan equals bland. - Edit

My husband and I have eaten here several times over the years, whenever we're in Volcano. In the past, we've loved the food. This time, we asked the server if any curries could be made vegan and were told that all the curries use a base which contains shrimp paste. We ended up ordering a stir fry dish and pad kee mao noodles, both requested medium spicy, as well as Tom Kha soup, all of which we were told could be made completely vegan. All the food came out together, and the two entrees had exactly the same sautéed vegetables and tofu, except that one contained plain white rice noodles. Neither had any sauce, nor Thai chili, and didn't look like the dishes typically would. We pointed this out to the server, who then told us that, in order to make the dishes vegan, they were unable to add any sauces, which are made using oyster sauce. We were offered soy sauce and Hawaiian chili sauce to add to our plain veggies and noodles and were told "You were the ones who ordered it vegan", as well as "We can't take anything back once you've ordered it"! The Tom Kha soup had plenty of lemongrass, galangal and Kaffir lime leaves, but no chili and no saltiness, so it just tasted sour. I was able to make it taste reasonably as it should by adding the soy sauce and chili paste. To make things worse, the server told us that, if we had eaten at the restaurant before and the food was made differently, she could guarantee that it had NOT been made vegan. So, it appears that the only way to get vegan food here is to accept bland food lacking in the typical Thai flavors, as they don't make an attempt to substitute for non-vegan ingredients.

Wow, fantastic Thai food - Edit

Took a group of us here for dinner after receiving an email directly from management that they had lots of options and coulee make any changes needed to accommodate as well.

Not only was it one of the best servings of yellow curry I have ever had, but the sticky rice for the wife, best phad thai of my sister's life, and something called Thai Thai Curry that put a friend of mine in a food coma.

If you're on the island, eat here. All I can say.

Pros: Excellent food, Flexible to dietary needs, Good service

Cons: Not all vegan? About all I can think of.

Return to Volcano Village Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Thai Thai Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.