Cafe Ono

Contact 808-985-8979

19-3834 Old Volcano Rd (at The Big Island), Volcano, Hawaii, USA, 96785

Vegetarian cafe in an old Hawaiian garden estate with a gallery and a cottage for rent. Menu features soups, fresh organic salads, sandwiches, desserts, locally grown coffee and tea. A daily vegan gluten-free choice. Tue-Sun 11:00am-3:00pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American

First Review by prusselltn

A delightful place to be at! - Edit

While visiting the volcano, we came by Cafe Ono 2 days in a row to have lunch. First of all, it's the only vegetarian place in the vicinity. Secondly, it's got super delicious vegan options. Lastly, what a delightful place to enjoy as you eat! You can sit indoors or outdoors and enjoy it's decorations. The staff and owner Ono are really really nice. They are friendly and knowledgeable about the area and what's happening. After lunch, we also enjoyed the art galleries and bought gifts/souvenirs; Hanging out with the goat Earnest was also fun - careful, he butts!
Would totally come back here again!

Pros: Vegan options available , friendly owner and staff, Art gallery

Gorgeous! - Edit

The cafe was a little tricky to find, but I did so with persistence. The environment surrounding the cafe is calm and beautiful. The food was very flavourful and the staff were friendly and helpful. It was a delicious and relaxing lunch. Both indoor and outdoor seating was available.

A lovely, lingering lunch - Edit

We enjoyed a pleasant lunch here while watching Ernest the goat. The menu is limited. We are both vegan and had no problem finding dishes to accommodate our needs. My husband had shiitake seaweed soup and I had the veggie chili over brown rice with garlic bread. Indoor and outdoor seating is available. Mr. Ono is a gracious host who welcomes guests to Volcano Garden Arts, where the café is located. Be sure to wander through the gallery where you’ll find a variety of interesting items to suit all price ranges.

Pros: Relaxing garden setting

Cons: Limited menu

Hidden gem - Edit

Thanks for this sites new feature of locating based on where one is, we stubbled across this oasis.
At first the ground grab you with their clam beauty and serenity. Once you enter the building itself, the hand picked collection of art work in the gallery will almost make you forget you are there to dine. Then comes the gracious host and owner to meet you.
After all that, the food!
The entrees were both generous in portion and outstanding in flavor, texture and creativity. We had the Vegan Special (Roasted veggies with tofu over rice), the Lasagna, and quiche. These came with soup, salad and freshly backed garlic bread. Yummy! To wash it all down, we had the iced tea, which is a house blend. So good in fast, that we bought some to take home.
This place is not to be missed.
(We did find some great items in the gallery that just had to come home with us)

Pros: Setting, Food, Energy

Wonderful Food Relaxing Environment - Edit

Set in the rainforest of Volcano Village at about 4000 feet, Cafe Ono is on the grounds of Volcano Garden Arts an art galley in a lovely manicured garden setting. If the weather is nice you can sit outside in the garden or greenhouse dining area. The inside dining area has 4 tables that seat 3 or 4 people each. After ordering you can browse the art gallery for unique gifts, jewelry or art. When your food is ready the server will come and get you. Cafe Ono is vegetarian but they do have vegan and gluten-free choices. I bring my husband here and he does not even miss the meat so that is saying something. The baked lasagna is made with ricotta cheese and spinach with a traditional tomato marinara sauce. It is served with fresh Volcano 3-seed garlic bread, soup du jour and fresh organic greens with a choice of 3 homemade dressings. They will gladly give you the dressing recipe if you ask. Save room for dessert because they make their own brownies and ice cream which go together great. They can handle larger groups if you call ahead and will set you up in the greenhouse which also has art displayed and a Japanese bamboo water feature. Since I live here I get to try everything on the menu but go ahead and ask the server for recommendations and enjoy!

Pros: organic foods, friendly staff, yummy desserts

Wonderful Lunch - Edit

Beautiful setting, vegan-knowledgable, delicious food--GREAT SOUP, FABULOUS Salad. Personable host and friendly staff. If you're visiting Volcanos Nat'l Park, it's the best place to stop for a meal or snack. There's even a pet goat on the property. The gardens are just idyllic. The owner is an artist and there is a wonderful gallery attached to the restaurant. It has gorgeous selections of all price ranges. Great place to find special gifts. I wish it was closer to New Jersey!!

Pros: super food, beautiful setting, great people

a lovely vegetarian oasis near the volcano - Edit

This was a great little discovery on our way to Volcano National Park. I had doubts that we'd find any place in such a rural area that would accommodate our vegan diets, but low and behold, we found Cafe Ono open and serving lunch!

I had the soup, salad and sandwich combo, which consisted of a up of lentil-corn soup (delicious) a green salad with a vegan green goddess dressing (yum again) and a round of toasted baguette topped with a delicious vegan artichoke pesto. My husband had the vegetarian chili and garlic bread.

While we waited for our food I surveyed the grounds and got friendly with Ernest the goat, who was tethered to a zip line that allows him to graze on the surrounding grass and trees. The cafe shares space with an art gallery that has some very nice, mostly-made-in-Hawaii art items of varying prices. You can even stay in the little guest cottage, which has its own bathroom, kitchen and outdoor jacuzzi. I wish we'd known about the place when we planned our trip!

The owner, Ira Ono, is a very nice host who helps keep the atmosphere very chilled and relaxed. This is a great place to grab a bite before or after tackling the hike in nearby Volcano National Park.

Pros: high-prana food, very friendly and attentive staff, relaxing environment

Cons: cafe may not alway be open

Oh-"yes" (not Ono) - Edit

Excellent retreat on a little estate in Volcano. It's at the end of a dead-end road (easy to find) and offers everything, art gallery, small garden shop, excellent vegetarian/vegan choices and tranquility! Met the owner, who was kind and showed me around the garden and pointed out plants of interest. There's even a pet goat to entertain and engage with. Their vegan soup of the day when I was there was "lentil" and I had it with rice and a pot of hot tea. The server brought out a caddy of loose leaf tea choices -- I can't remember but had something like "island sunrise" or similar. You could easily spend several hours in this little haven relaxing and enjoying a light meal or beverage. Too bad it's in the middle of the island ... but then again, it's the feeling of isolation and tranquility that are so inviting.

Pros: Atmosphere, Friendliness, Unique

Great food and great energy - Edit

Ohhhhhhhhhh YES to Cafe Ono! This is the best meal I've had on the island. As a 35+ year vegetarian, my standards are pretty high. Cafe Ono exceeded my expectations. I had the soup/salad/sandwich combo and the flavors in each category were superb. The staff were very attentive and the owner was very much involved in overseeing the operations, talking with customers, and even refilling our teapot! The feel of the place is very inviting and calming. And what could be more fun than perusing the wonderful art gallery and grounds while your meal is being prepared. Although it's a 2-hour drive from where I live, I can't wait to go back and try another menu item!

A welcome treat - Edit

Being vegan, I was concerned about some options for eating while checking out the volcano park. Thankfully, Cafe Ono is not only able to meet that, but it was vibrant and energy building as well. The staff was very friendly. I had no doubt that there was some good mana in what I ate. Thanks!

Pros: friendly staff, nice ambiance, healthy cuisine

Cons: ---

Cozy cafe in tranquil setting - Edit

This is a good place to fuel up before an afternoon among the volcanoes. The food is hearty and delicious, with more than enough to keep you going for the day. The mushroom and seaweed soup with miso broth was good to the last drop. There are only four tables, but there are plenty of beautiful things both natural and hand-crafted to gaze upon if you have to wait.

Pros: Healthy cuisine, Friendly staff, Beautiful setting

A great lunch experience - Edit

We came across Cafe Ono just by chance, and we wish it were much closer to home. Cafe Ono is linked to the Volcano Garden Arts Gallery, and the combination of arts and healthy food is not only unique but truly amazing and unforgettable. Homemade healthy vegetarian food, friendly staff, small... picturesque location in Volcano Village, only two miles from the crater of the Kilauea VOlcano on the Big Island of Hawaii.

Pros: healthy cuisine, friendly staff, good value

Cons: remote location

Great place to relax after hiking in Volcanoes NP - Edit

A wonderful art gallery and cafe. The owner is very friendly and made us feel very welcome. Had lunch in a tranquil outdoor setting among interesting garden sculptures while the resident goat, Ernest, calmly observed the goings on. I had the Moroccan soup and a garden salad and my friend had the sweet potato and almond casserole and a salad, and a very decadent brownie. Everything was absolutely delicious.

Pros: excellent food, healthy cuisine, friendly staff

Good food, gorgeous setting - Edit

Main reasons for the five stars are the beautiful grounds, art work, and uber-friendly owner (Ira Ono). Food was very tasty--can recommend the lasagna. Be sure to browse gallery. Vegetarian restaurants in Hawaii seem short-lived, so be sure to visit! Prices are as expected in this prime location.

Pros: Beautiful ambience, Great vegetarian food, Great location next to park

Cons: Not vegan-friendly

Return to Volcano Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Cafe Ono closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3087 times since Oct 2010.