Sura Korean BBQ and Tofu

Contact 562-495-7872

621 Atlantic Ave, Long Beach, California, USA, 90899

Serves meat, vegan options available. Small, family-owned Korean restaurant with vegan options including tofu Korean tacos, meal-sized soups, noodles and Bibimbap, sides, a marinated tofu steak. 2016 now takes credit cards. Open Mon-Sat 11:00am-9:00pm.

Category: Korean, Non-veg

First Review by dbz

Delicious tofu soups - Edit

I really missed Korean food, so I was glad to find Sura.

Their menu has one page that is all-vegan, including appetizers and entrees.

The Dumpling Tofu Soup is to die for, especially in cold weather. They are made with a 1-10 spiciness scale and served with a side of korean black rice that pairs perfectly with the broth. The banchan/sides are all pretty good and unlimited. They will serve you vegan kimchi and they assured me that the rest of the sides are vegan. It is not an exact match for traditional kimchi and its quality varies between visits, but I always like it.

The tofu taco appetizer was good, but I do not think I will be ordering them again. There is a Mexican place next door that makes a good mushroom taco, so get those if you want tacos.

All of the teas I have had here were made vegan using soy milk. Try the tiger milk tea with soymilk!

I will regularly visit this restaurant, so I will come back and update this review with my findings.

Pros: Great vegan menu, Friendly Staff, Decent beer selection (on tap and bottled)

Cons: NonVeg friends tend to prefer all-you-can-eat kbbq, Inconsistent spiciness, but not bad.

Really cool spot - Edit

The fact that they have a separate menu for vegan options is a plus in my book. So much easier to choose. Do not pass up on the shiitake mushroom fries! Great customer service as well. Definitely will be coming back.

Pros: Vegan menu!

Veggie friendly korean spot! - Edit

An adorable place with its homey touches, I was glad to see "vegan friendly" right on the center window when I got there. But do ask for the veggie menu since it's not the first one they give you. It's been a long time since I've had a Korean tofu soup and was really happy to have it, piping hot, full of silky tofu, delightfully spicy, chock full of veggies, and no beef broth smothering everything! I ordered the three mushroom base, another option being the wonton tofu soup. In case you don't want the egg cracked in they bring it on the side, keeping it vegan.
The side dishes are the nice standards, some pickled radishes, burdock,kimchee, some greens, and they're all refillable! We ordered veggie potstickers for an appetizer and they were passable, not fantastic, but ok. And hey, veggie.
My soup was fantastic, the spice amount I wanted and had plenty of shiitake, anoki, and regular mushrooms as well as the velvety tofu I love....
The only downside was the fusion fare, the Korean burritos are probably not ordered often and didn't seem freshly prepared. I would recommend staying with the familiar korean fare and you'll be fine. And full. Thumbs up for a nice lunch spot, especially given their effort for having an entire veg menu.

Pros: The effort, Veggie versions hard to find elsewhere , Delicious tofu

Cons: Could be fresher

Kimchi = happiness - Edit

Sura is one of those places that you stumble on two blocks from your house and are really sad that you've lived there for 18 months and never known about it. Plenty of options for vegans, and they'll make your kimchi tofu soup as spicy as you can handle. A simple, inexpensive Korean BBQ menu, all the tacos, soups, and noodles can be veganized, and $1 taco Tuesdays!

Return to Long Beach Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Sura Korean BBQ and Tofu closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.