Sticky Fingers Bakery

Contact 202-299-9700

1370 Park Rd NW (at Columbia Heights area, Washington DC), Washington, District Of Columbia, USA, 20010

This bakery makes vegan sweets with no dairy or egg. Cafe serves deli items including sandwiches, soups, vegan hot dogs, nachos, and coffee. Free Wi-Fi. Directions: 1 block north of Columbia Heights Metro station on the green line. Tue-Thu 8:00am-8:00pm, Fri 8:00am-9:00pm, Sat 9:00am-9:00pm, Sun 9:00am-8:00pm

Category: Vegan, American, Take-out, Bakery

First Review by Mimi710

wide range of food selections - Edit

The vegan baked goods at Sticky Fingers were worth the trip. They offer a wide range of cakes that you need to order in advance. Also they have cookie sandwiches, cupcakes, vegan chocolate Santas and much more. You can wash them all down with an array of vegan milkshakes. Sticky Fingers also has diner style food. We had tacos, a burger and a buffalo wrap. All were quite good. Go for the baked goods and stay for lunch/dinner!

amazing desserts and a lot of great savory options! - Edit

Really yummy! Amazing selection of desserts but I was very impressed with how extensive the savory menu was. Also a ton of ready to go food in the cold case. Good selection, delicious, cute little place to sit.

Pros: sweets galore, lots of good savory options too!

I love all vegan bakeries. - Edit

I got the chocolate chip cookie and some sort of whoopie pie. Very tasty to me and I enjoyed every bite. Sad that I didn't get to try the savory food. I liked the diner look inside and bakery case.

Pros: cheap , tasty

Good food but disappointed. - Edit

First the good: The food was AMAZING! Easily 5/5 stars. I got the breakfast burrito and I couldn't have been happier. The rest of my family ordered biscuits and gravy + pancakes. Everyone was more than satisfied with the taste and quantity. THEN.....we ordered desserts to go. The Cowvin Cookie (big sandwich cookie) is the best cookie I've ever had, easily. I went back the next day to get another. The brownie was pretty good and the devil's cake was really delicious. I'd get it again too.

The bad: My husband planned a DC birthday trip for me and Sticky Fingers was the much anticipated highlight. The food surpassed expectations. However, the overall dining experience was terrible. It's a small, cramped space full of loud people. I don't blame the restaurant for this particular part but the majority of the customers were rude and obnoxious. It was incredibly busy when we went and after walking several miles, I wanted to sit and dine in a nice, quiet place. Based on the HIGH prices, that's what I assumed we'd be getting.

I don't mind spending $80 on food for 4 people if we're having a great overall experience! But for counter-ordered food, waiting a while for a dirty table then sharing with strangers, and they were out of water, cups, napkins, and forks....it is way overpriced.

I could barely enjoy my food due to butts in my face (literally. The place was packed out with people in line to order) and the loud and uncomfortable environment.

When we left, I told my husband:

Food: 9
Atmosphere: 1

Pros: Delicious food Great options Cowvin cookies

Cons: Expensive Small, crowded space

Good Dessert Selection, Food Is Okay - Edit

This was my second trip to Sticky Fingers while visiting DC, although the first time was in 2009. That time I had just had a cupcake, but I remember I had wanted to order everything on the menu and was very excited to go back on this recent trip. I ordered the tempeh, lettuce, tomato, and avocado sandwich with potato salad, with a cookies and cream shake. The sandwich was large and quite tasty as was the potato salad, although I will warn that both were very loaded up with vegan mayo. The shake was good, but not great, and smaller than I expected. My husband got the buffalo seitan wrap, which he was very disappointed in. He loves seitan, but this was strange crumbles, not chunks like expected, and there was not very much buffalo or vegan ranch which was supposed to be included. We got cupcakes to go, and they were pretty good. All in all, it's a good place, and it's great they have so many vegan options. However, we had thought we would go at least twice, probably again for brunch, and I really didn't feel compelled to go back on this trip.

Pros: Great dessert selection, Decent Food, All vegan

Great Cafe with Lots of Snacks - Edit

Sticky Fingers never fails to satisfy. They have a variety of hot sandwiches and burgers, as well as a to-go case with sammiches ready to go. My favorite is their breakfast sammich. They have a well stocked bakery case with mostly cupcakes and cookies, as well as plenty of wheat free options. Plus, MILKSHAKES OHMYGOSH. In addition to all the delicioys homemade food, they stock a good selection of vegan snacks and candy. I was able to find vegan easter bunnies as well as plenty of hard to find chocolates and snacks like chickpeas and earth balance squares.

Pros: vegan snacks for sale, milkshakes!, to-go case

Delicious Baked Goods - Edit

This is a great place to go if you are craving something sweet and haven't figured out how to make vegan baked goods.

I had the peanut butter chocolate cupcake, the cookie and cream cupcake, the champagne cupcake and a brownie. It was all delicious.

It is also right across the street from a Giant where there is parking available.

The only downside was there wasn't a large enough variety of baked goods when I went.

Pros: Vegan Baked Goods, Delicious, Parking Nearby

Cons: Not enough variety of baked goods

Get your fingers sticky - Edit

Superb venue with a great range of cakes as well as some seriously delicious savoury stuff. First had Daiya cheese here years back on a quesadilla. Good busy neighbourhood and a very popular spot

Pros: Delicious cake options , Yum quesadillas , Good people watching options

love the bakery - Edit

I ordered a Halloween cake for my party this past Oct. I've had several cakes from Sticky Fingers over the last 3 years and their cakes are all delicious! Some restrictions applied during my ordering process like colors I wanted on the Halloween cake but all in all it came out good! I do think they are a bit pricy so hence the 4 star, but quality wise delicious. Also grabbed lunch there while picking up cake, had Cali burger. Again awesome eats. Ordered sweet potato fries and they were great!, hot crispy and tasty. Only suggestion would be to make some burgers available without soy. Like option of soy free items. Sorry soy!

Pros: Bakery, Menu

Cons: pricy- some items, location please expand into MD! , need soy free options

Disappointing - Edit

I don't think Sticky Fingers lives up to the hype. It's one of the few vegan places in D.C., which is good and bad. Good, because at least it's there, but bad because in all honesty, it did not taste very good. I came here excited, having heard so many good things about Sticky Fingers, some comparing it to Vegan Treats, but left very extremely disappointed.

I tried the chicken wrap, cupcakes (chocolate peanut butter and eggnog), sweet potato fries, mac and cheese, and what looked to be a peppermint whoopie pie. The sandwich was ice cold and tasteless. Literally, this was the type of sandwich that vegan jokes are made of. The chocolate cupcake and whoopie pie were both stale. The sweet potato fries tasted and smelled like B.O. (no joke - they were so disgusting and soggy that we threw them out after one bite). Of the $35 spent, only the mac and cheese and eggnog cupcake tasted good.

On top of the mediocre food, the staff downright sucked! Now, this may be a D.C. thing - many establishments we visited during our 3 day stay were less than friendly, but still, the staff at Sticky Fingers acted as though our visit was an inconvenience.

We were planning on stopping by again for brunch on Saturday before our departure, but after trying the food, we were disgusted and decided not to. So disappointing. I'm hoping maybe they were just having an off night.
Updated from previous review on Sunday December 13, 2015

Cons: Staff, Stale food

Just go here - Edit

My wife and I took the train to get lunch here recently and it was so worth it. The staff are cool, there is great literature and community activity all over, the food is incredible, and it is 100% vegan. We got the Texas Burger with sweet potato fries, the Altuna Melt with sweet potato fries, a Sweet Potato Maple Cupcake, and a Sea Shepherd benefit cupcake. I can highly recommend all of this.

Pros: 100% vegan, Great staff, Great food

Ur so gonna want to come back...again and again - Edit

Best vegan cakes/cupcakes ever!

Pros: Great variety of delicious desserts, Caters to many specific requests, Friendly staff

Cons: A little expensive but so worth it!, Not so waistline friendly

awesome pinup style feel-good bakery - Edit

This is just one of the best casual vegan places in town. The sweets are incredible and there are a lot of really delicious savory options too. They recently added chocolate croissants which are unbelievable!

Fun Place with Delicious Food - Edit

On my last trip to Washington DC my family, friends and I stopped at Sticky Fingers Bakery for brunch and to stock up on sweets and pastries for our day at the zoo. Most of the friends that were with me were not vegans but they really enjoyed their meals. I had the breakfast burrito, which is HUGE, and very delicious. My son had chocolate milk, which I found myself taking sips constantly - it was so good. We also tried a few cupcakes and donuts. Everything was good. Far superior to other vegan bakeries I have visited in other states. I hope to return and try the lunch menu and other cupcake flavors since they rotate them constantly.

Pros: Delicious food, Vegan Breakfast! , Vegan pastries

Cons: Moderate price, Staff not so friendly

Delicious! - Edit

The food was absolutely delicious! I had the french toast platter with potato wedges and tofu scramble. It was amazing! The only think I don't like is how small the restaurant is and how you have to share a table when it's fairly crowded. Other than that I highly recommend you try!

Weekend Brunch - Edit

Once you find parking this bakery will satisfy your taste buds profoundly. The weekend brunch featuring tofu scramble and pancakes is amazing as are their cupcakes, which Sticky Fingers is known for. The Boca burger is another satisfying pleasure.

Not Bad - Edit

I'm new to eating vegan, so I was excited to Sticky Fingers to pick up dinner for my daughter and myself. We each got a salad wrap and they were good. The soup of the day was a carrot ginger coconut curry that was pretty fantastic. I bought 7 cupcakes to take to my family and I wasn't impressed. They were a little dry and the frosting was just meh. I would recommend this for maybe a deccent light lunch or dinner, but the baked goods were just OK.

Pros: Cute shop, wraps were good.

Cons: Baked goods leave much to be desired.

Pretty and tasty, but a little mass produced - Edit

The items all look so pretty, with a big variety: brownies, peanut butter brownies, doughnuts of all kinds, cupcakes, many different cookies... We tried 3 kinds of cookies, two kinds of doughnuts, and a brownie. The brownie and cookies were both lacking. They were OK, but tasted kind of like pre-packaged vegan sweets. The doughnut was quite good. I would recommend this place for the doughnuts for sure! The espresso I ordered was not good at all though.

Pros: delicious doughnuts

Cons: bad espresso

Another Rave Review for Sticky Fingers... - Edit

I've been to Sticky Fingers a few times and went back yesterday for lunch. I had the Altuna Melt and Cilantro Slaw. It was a beautiful day outside and my food was delicious, such a nice lunch! If you are in the Columbia Heights neighborhood, you should definitely stop in! I managed to resist getting a cupcake but I really don't know how. The cherry blossom cupcake looked like heaven.

Pros: Delicious Food, Friendly Service

Amazing Sweets, Sandwiches and Other Casual Dishes - Edit

What a find: they have a large selection of cupcakes and other pastries, including breakfast pastries, vegan shakes, sandwiches and vegan deli items, as well as items by other companies (vegan jerky, lots of drinks, chocolates, etc.) I tried the Oreo cookie cupcake, and also the oatmeal cream pie (not in on sitting - had the cream pie the next day). I also tried the peanut butter shake, which was great - not cloyingly sweet, just the right texture.

In addition, I purchased a TLT (Bacon-style tempeh, lettuce and tomato) sandwich for the next day, and a breakfast sandwich (egg-style tofu, vegan cheese and sausage on a whole wheat English muffin), and both were excellent.

The service was also excellent, and they have seating. All in all, I would definitely come back here again. Great food, great treats, great service. What more can you ask for?

Pros: Excellent sweets and other food, Friendly service

Delicious bakery! - Edit

The bakery was just as good as I'd hoped- I tried the coffee cake (made with vegan sour cream, mmm), a cowvin cookie (oatmeal cream pie style), and a carrot cake cupcake, and all were delicious!! The tofu scramble wasn't quite as exciting, but I was really there for the sweets anyway :-) I'd say they definitely lived up to the hype!!

Pros: So many sweet treat options!

Cons: Kind of small space- if coming with more than one

Best Vegan Sweets - Edit

Sticky fingers is consistently on point. Their baked goods are fabulous, and I can sometimes find them at other restaurants or grocery stores. My favorite is the oatmeal pies, so rich and creamy! Also had a burger and shake which were good. Burger tasted so much like meat to me, which I was surprised by, but I guess that just means they are on point with their mock meat too!

Pros: delicious sweets, generally good prices , gluten free options

Cons: expensive shakes

Perfect Lunch Spot - Edit

We went here for lunch and had the Altuna Melts with tomato and onion. They're made with chickpeas and Daiya cheese and are so creamy and satisfying. Perfect sized portion for a filling lunch.

Had a side of the cilantro cabbage which was fresh and crunchy, as well as the sweet potato fries which were a very small portion and just meh.

Can't wait to come back and try the desserts!

Pros: Gluten-free available

Hit the spot - Edit

The DC lacks good food vegan options so I was thankful to find this after being starved from finding no vegan food in airports and driving home. I was happy to stumble into this cute but small bakery. Even better was that it offered drinkable chocolate and had a special of seitan stew. The stew was very good. The apple pie for dessert was ok. Crust was not crisp but it was trapped in a plastic container so it may have been the packaging that did it in. The baked goods and reviews swayed me into buying the cookbook as a gift for my boyfriend. I hope it will result in gifts for me. I wouldn't think to eat here for health but when I am ready to indulge myself, I will be back.

Pros: Lots of yummy sweets. , Food options , Drinkable chocolate!!!!

Cons: Not many fresh food options for meals, Apple pie was lack luster

Great place - Edit

It's so nice visiting Sticky Fingers and knowing I can order anything I want off the menu. The cowvins are awesome and although I have Doron's cookbook, mine just don't taste as good! I love the TLT sandwich (a bit steep at $9 but worth it). The weekend brunch is awesome. The place is small so getting a table can be stressful. Wasn't fond of the donuts but I've never been a donut fan...more of a cupcake/cookie kind of girl.

Pros: gorgeous cupcakes and treats, yummy food, love the decor

Cons: a bit pricey for what it is, not a lot of seating

Yum - Edit

This is my favourite vegan bakery in the world. This is not the place to go for super healthy vegan food- it's a place to indulge! Donuts, cupcakes and cookies are all excellent; coffee and shakes are great too.

This is one of those great places that could convert vegan non-believers and prove that we don't just eat sprouts and lentils.

Pros: Great selection of baked goods, Friendly staff

Sticky Fingers Bakery - Edit

I had lunch here today, courgette and bean soup in a mug, texas burger and coffee. The burger was sensational. The cost was around $17.

Everywhere should make food like there, this place is perfect proof that it can be done.

Pros: All vegan, great food, Nice staff

Cons: Not everywhere is like this

Sweet - Edit

Very sweet vegan desserts. We had a sandwich and quesadilla as well, it was made with fake meat and cheese which I am not really a fan of. Not a healthy restaurant but nice for a treat.

Pros: Sweet, indulgent , cheap

Cons: unhealthy, fake products

Nothing but awesome - Edit

I remember when this place was a hole in the wall and only served baked goods. Now, they have a huge location with all kinds of take-away options, food (not just desserts) and ice cream. Nothing but good things to say about this place, and glad to see them growing.

Pros: All-vegan, Lots of options

Cons: Far away from me

not as good as I expected... - Edit

I had been looking forward to visiting Sticky Fingers for awhile (I bought the cookbook last year), and I had been hyping it up to my husband for weeks leading up to our visit to D.C. this past weekend. I actually planned our Metrorail ride from the airport so that we would head straight to Sticky Fingers for a late breakfast.

The shop itself is cute, smaller than I imagined, but the decoration is colorful and fun. The staff was nice. I was kind of unsure about ordering the savory food I had seen on their online menu, as they didn't seem to be posted up on a board, so we grabbed a buffalo chicken wrap out of a "grab and go" case. We also ordered the famous sticky bun (of course) and a pecan bourbon cookie pie (cookies with buttercream in-between them).

The sticky bun was not that exciting. It had an o.k. taste, but it wasn't something I was interested in eating again. I have had vegan cinnamon rolls locally that tasted about the same or better. The cookie tasted more interesting, as the buttercream was yummy, but again not something I would eat again; the cookies were too crunchy. The wrap was delicious and probably would be something I would have eaten again on another visit if I hadn't found two other restaurants that I liked a lot more (and ended up visiting multiple times).

I expected to get back to Sticky Fingers during the weekend to try a cupcake, but it didn't seem worth the trip. I might give them another chance on a future trip, but I think I might be better off just making the recipes fresh from the cookbook.

Overall I was disappointed, but I felt that I set myself up for it by getting so excited in advance. People who haven't eaten too many vegan sweets (like if you come from a town where you can't buy such things) will probably find it to be a nice place to visit. If you eat vegan baked goods often I would suggest not having high expectations.

Pros: vegan baked goods seem rare in DC, Easy to access from Metrorail, Decoration of shop is cute

Cons: Too hyped up

Best around - Edit

Visiting my family in DC, I was desperate to make them see that vegan food could be yummy. Luckily, I found this gem. The prices were reasonable and the staff was really friendly (despite my rude family). I had the Devil Cake, my sister and mom had cupcakes, and my dad had a cookie sandwich thing. Needless to say, they gladly devoured their sweets. They were surprised by how tasty vegan food could be! I would love to go back and try the food some time. If you're looking to treat anyone, definitely give this place a go. You won't regret it.

Pros: Delicious, Friendly, Clean

Cons: Parking is kind of a bummer

Cupcakes are to die for - Edit

I was visiting DC so i found this place on my vegan finder app and decided to stop by. I ordered a dessert, expecting the typical bland "vegan" texture i usually get. I think this place might be tricking me because their cupcakes do not taste vegan at all. Theyre amazing!!!! So amazing that after eating my cupcake i went inside to get a big box of them to take home on the plane (not an easy task btw). They also ship cupcakes and baked goods around the US. I love this place!

Pros: cupcakes, location

Went here on vacation and loved it - Edit

OMG! TRY THE CHOCOLATE MOUSSE! It is so good and well worth the price. All the non dessert foods I tried were awesome too. Not sure why a different reviewer said they had way too much may on their chicken wrap, mine was perfect.

Sticky Fingers - Edit

This place was amazing. The tuna melt was delicious. The chocolate mouse was amazing, but it is not on the menu or in the cook book. The chicken ranch wrap was really good. Nachos were good. The veggie burger was average, and the buns were thick. The cookies n' cake was really good. Been back there several times and hope to go back again.

Pros: execellent food, friendly stafff

Yummy! - Edit

This place is awesome! I had the grilled Daiya with tempeh bacon. It was very delicious. My husband had the 'tuna' melt. It was also delicuous. For dessert I had a coconut cupcake with chocolate. Now I know why she won the Cupcake Wars. The staff was very helpful and friendly. I imagine everything on the menu is good. Yummy for sure.

Pros: Vegan, Healthy, Friendly staff

friendly staff and good food - Edit

The person who took my order was very friendly and helpful. I really liked the option to have most of the wraps as salads. The Asian tofu salad was really good! The ginger dressing was super yummy. I couldn't resist trying a cupcake and got the coconut. It was very coconutty (which is good), but the frosting was a bit too sweet for my taste. As far as cupcakes go, the ones I had at Bunner's bakeshop in Toronto, Canada are still the best.

Pros: friendly staff, fast service, good food

Love This Place! Great Cupcakes! - Edit

This is my absolute favorite Vegan bakery! The cupcakes are good and not too sweet...they are flavorful. I've even have some of my meat eating friends stopping by now.

I live in NJ and these cupcakes are so good...Ive considered making the four hour drive to get some and I've convinced friends to bring me some when they go to DC.

Also, I really enjoy the TLT (Tempeh, Lettuce and Tomato sandwich). The first time I had it, I was only supposed to take a bite to try (I got it to go after a visit) but I ate the whole thing...I've even had people bring this sandwich to me from DC.

Love the food, love the design, love love love!

Pros: Good food, Savory, Free Wi-Fi

Cons: Prices, One Location

YUMMY! - Edit

I love Sticky Fingers. We had a huge sheetcake for my birthday. It was the vanilla cake with strawberry filling. All the non-vegans at the party couldn't believe it was vegan. Delicious!
Updated from previous review on Thursday June 05, 2008

I've been back many times since my first visit, and I've sampled everything from cupcakes to grilled cheese and most in between. We even had our wedding cake made by Sticky Fingers, and it was insanely good and beloved by all our guests.
I posted a full review here: http://www.vegan-nutritionista.com/sticky-fingers-bakery.html

Pros: delicious comfort food, friendly staff, near the metro

Cons: small seating area

Contributions +21

Mixed reviews - Edit

We have been to Sticky Fingers several times. The breakfast items we had were so-so: soggy French toast, breakfast burrito with too much raw spinach, but good soy latte, mocha, and hot chocolate. The lunch items we had were also inconsistent: yummy tempeh lettuce and tomato (TLT) sandwich, but pastey mac n' cheese. Desserts are good, and we really like the rich chocolate brownies which are also now available in our local organic grocery store. Finding parking can be tedious and scoring a table can be difficult (too many laptoppers!).

Pros: Tasty sandwiches, Delicious Brownies, Good coffee drinks

Cons: Some mediocre menu items, Parking is a pain, Laptoppers hog the tables

Lick your fingers! - Edit

The choice of pastry was excellent and we almost made our budget explode by trying almost every piece of pastry they had. But let's not forget the delicious wraps, they are also worth trying. The interieur of this place reminds a bit of an old school American diner and people of all professions and ages are gathered here for a bite of Sticky Fingers food. Although this restaurant seems to be very popular among Washingtonians and tourists the prices are quite moderate.

Pros: addicting cupcakes, yummy wraps, friendly staff

Get the tuna melt! - Edit

The tuna melt is amazing. Get it with the tempeh bacon and raw onions on the multigrain bread. Thank me later.
I wasn't a fan of the pancakes. They weren't anything special. The judge of a good pancake for me is if they can be eaten without syrup. These definitely needed syrup. They came with an under ripe piece of cantaloupe.
I tried a few cupcakes and whoopie pies. The whoopie pie was a favorite. Their cupcakes were good but not great. They weren't as fresh as I'd hope they'd be from a bakery.
Seating can be scarce. If you see a seat when you walk in, grab it. It won't be open for long.

Contributions +109

Great food, though pricey - Edit

The prices are a bit high, especially for their pastries, but the food is awesome.

oh my god - Edit

First of all, I am so glad I don't live in DC, because if I did I would be the fattest vegan on the planet.
I live a good 20 miles away in Virginia, so you know it takes me roughly 2 hours to drive there regardless of the time of day, thankfully deterring me from these cupcakes of the gods.

If you do happen to find yourself here, and are not allergic to peanuts of course, get the chocolate peanut butter cupcake. If you don't, you are a fool. I went the first time on my birthday, as well as justified ordering the "chocolate love" package (calm down its only cupcakes, this is a family site) as a birthday present for myself, and have decided I will buy every single one in stock next time I am there, but even then I will not be satisfied.
I have even found myself google mapping possible routes during my spare time at work to this place that would only take 1 hour to get there versus the usual 2, but my carnivore fiance takes for granted the poor quality of any old cupcake he can eat, so he clearly does not have the capacity to understand the importance of my need for vegan satisfaction via a chocolate peanut butter cupcake.

If you are allergic to peanut butter, get any of the chocolate cupcakes, they are absolutely delicious and you will write me a thank you note for my genius recommendation.

On my birthday I ordered a sandwich/wrap there and some other baked goods, but they were totally overshadowed by they delicious goodness of the cupcake, I totally forgot what they were. I ate my sandwich fast because I didn't want any of the people that kept filtering in through the shop to take the last of the cupcakes.

This place is not cheap, but it's certainly not outrageously expensive.

Pros: Choco/PB Cupcakes, Choco/PB Cupcakes, Other Baked Goods n Stuff...

Great Food - Edit

The breakfast burrito was wonderful, kept me full for hours, and felt healthy all while being delicious.
The tuna melt was delicious on whole grain. My ominvore friend ordered pancakes and really enjoyed them. I was overwhelmed with the dessert choices, and purchased several. The little devil, a chocolate cake with vanilla cream and chocolate on top was even better than I expected. The chocolate peanut butter cupcake was rich and delicious. I could have ordered one of everything on the menu! This is definately a must-stop spot for me the next time I am in DC.

Uninspired at best - Edit

Our GPS needed to be updated and took us to the restaurant's former location across town. Called & asked the girl who answered the phone how far away the new location was (explaining that we were vacationing) and she said that she wasn't sure - not too far - then hung up. We decided to order food first and get dessert and coffee to take back to the hotel since it took us so long to actually get there.

I ordered a buffalo chicken ranch wrap and DH ordered a club sandwich. There were no seats available aside from a lone wobbly bar stool against the window because all of the benches and chairs were occupied by college students hanging out and basically taking up space.

By this time, DD needed a diaper change, so I waited in line patiently for the single unisex restroom to become available. NO CHANGING TABLE. Our car was parked several blocks away on the third level of a parking garage, so we decided to wait for our food to arrive and just eat in the car.Just as our food made its grand entry (20 mins or so after ordering), one of the 'hipsters' decided to move and we snagged the table. The waitress sprayed down the table (and my daughter [without apologizing]) with disinfecting spray and took our drinks and dumped them out when she cleared the table.

The food-pathetic. My wrap had four or five bits of gardein chicken and tons of mayo (which I hate and specifically requested to leave off), loaded wih dried dill that was attempting to impersonate ranch dressing, and no buffalo taste to speak of. The wilted romaine lettuce (whole leaves) took up most of the $9 wrap. DH's was no better - the tempeh bacon was quite good, but the 'meat' was just tofurkey slices. The tomatoes were not even close to being red. The worst part, was the multi-grain bread. It was so dry that you could choke on it. How can a bakery serve stale bread?
We ordered four cupcakes, a cup of softserve, an individual peanut butter pie, and a soy latte. The soft serve had a strange chemically aftertaste, the cupcakes were stale, greasy, and flavorless. It reminded me of the birthday cakes my grandmother orders from the supermarket chain in town.The only saving grace of the experience was the peanut butter pie and the latte. The pie was a generous mound of peanut butter filling, topped with chocolate ganache and a chocolate cookie crust. It was similar to the Sm'love Pie from V-Con, but not quite as good. The latte was perfectly brewed and cleverly presented.

Pros: Good coffee, nice presentation

Cons: not family friendly, rude staff, doesn't taste good

Sticky Fingers? Yes please! - Edit

I make it a point to go Sticky Fingers whenever I'm in the DC area. This is a great place to grab a vegan snack. Their sandwiches are great, especially the faux turkey. I also liked their cookies but their cupcakes don't rival mine! Still, Sticky Fingers is worth a visit.

Pros: Friendly staff, Good selection

Cons: Kinda expensive

Pricey, but a great treat - Edit

If it wasn't for the price ($2.50-3.00 per cupcake and $4+ for a chai tea is a little steep even for DC in my opinion) this place would be 5 cows for sure. The desserts are absolutely incredible. We will definitely be back there whenever we need a fancy vegan dessert fix!

Pros: tasty, fresh, friendly staff

Cons: expensive

Heaven - Edit

Came from Canada for the Rally To Restore Sanity and voyaged here just because of the reviews.

It was no disappointment.

The autographed photo of Dennis Kucinich was a good sign.

They were well-staffed and we ordered a mocha cupcake, a cinnamon buns and a cranberry-orange scone. All were gourmet, and as our breakfast the cinnamon buns were second only to the danishes at Toronto's Vegan Danish Bakery.

Lucky, lucky Washingtonians.

They also stock vegan marshmallows, candy bars and other treats.

Loved this Place when we lived there - Edit

After we moved from DC to Seattle and discovered a "vegan" bakery down the street from us at the time.

Unfortunately, Sticky Fingers has pretty much ruined all other vegan exclusive pastry shops for us. Despite what some other reviewers have said, I tend to enjoy the Little Devils (a staple since they were in the previous location), and the Cowvin Cookies and Cinnamon Buns are outstanding. We went back for a visit a year or so ago, and while I appreciate the expanded menu and larger location, I do miss the intimacy of their 18th Street space, and with the expanded staff, running around, I just didn't get the same community feel as previously. None of this, however, deteriorates from the quality of the goods, which as I've said, have spoiled me for almost every other vegan bakery I've been to.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday March 24, 2010

Pros: Delicious Vegan Baked Goods, Mail Order Service

Cons: Loss of character, Shipping costs too pricey

Oh Sticky Fingers, where do I begin? You never disappoint, and for that, I love you. Vegan soft serve ice cream? check! vegan oatmeal cookies with icing in between? check! delicious ready to go lunch items? check! I did prefer the cozy atmosphere of the previous location to the current strip-mall type feel of the new location, but at least now you can actually sit down for a bit and enjoy your treat.
Only negative to Sticky Fingers is that I generally leave $40 lighter and a few pounds heavier, lol (you know you can't just get one thing...)

Pros: cowvin cookies, soft serve

Not bad, not good - Edit

I was so excited when I saw all the food choices here. However, as a vegan, I assume we all cook and attempt to make our own food a lot because of more limited choices when eatingout. Personally, when I eat out, I want it to be BETTER than what I can make myself. I don't think any of the food here was that amazing or is better than anything anyone can make at home. The staff was a little slow and rude, but the food not that impressive. They use Teese Cheese on some things, and I dont know why anyone would use anything but Diaya these days. Living in PA, there are not many restaurants I can go to grab Mac and Cheese or a chickn ranch wrap. So the convenience of this place is nice, but the food is mediocre. The same for the desserts. Nothing was bad, but not good. I live by VEGAN TREATS in bethlehem and the desserts at sticky fingers dont hold a candle to theirs.

Pros: convenience, comfort food

Cons: mediocre food

Wonderful Place - Edit

We attended Sticky Fingers for breakfast and two lunches. The food was scrumptious. We were impressed by the variety of sandwiches available. Given that this was a bakery, we were surprised that no pies were on offer. The staff could have been friendlier.

Fantastic vegan bakery and cafe - Edit

All vegan! Everything here is killer and they have a great selection. Primarily it is a bakery, but they have cold sandwiches, hot dogs, and some hot entrees (you have to nuke them) like lasagna and "chicken" nuggets. They also have vegan soft serve and really good coffee. The staff is very friendly! This place even made my vegan wedding cake and it was a big hit! The only con is that it's hard to find parking, but it also has easy Metro access.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday August 18, 2010

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly staff, Free wi-fi

Cons: Parking

Delicious! - Edit

I can honestly say when I first tried Sticky Fingers a few years back I was NOT impressed. My sister actually convinced me to give it another go. I-LOVE-IT, from the weekend brunch dishes (try any of them!) to the amazing tuna melt, I am IN LOVE! I go often, and enjoy it every time!

I'm in LOVE!! - Edit

I visited this place on my trip to the Capitol and am pretty sure I will be going through Sticky Finger withdrawls! The store is just a few blocks from the Metro, and the employees were very nice. I went twice, and never had a problem with "pretentious" employees or laptop users hogging the seats. They have a nice selection of grab-and-go food, and lots of food they can make. I ordered the "Chicken" Cesear Wrap and another wrap with avocadoes in it. They were both amazing, although expensive and they took a while to prepare, they were definitely worth it. The dressing they use is amazing! We also tried a Little Devil, which was tasty but could use more frosting, the Cake in a Cup (which they only have when they do weddings), the Oreo Cupcake, Peanut Butter Cupcake and Chocolate Cup Cake, all of which were delicious. The employees were very nice with my giant order, and went out of their way to help us, including adding extra icing to my cinnamon rolls/sticky buns (no matter what people want to call them, they are amazing!) and they drizzled chocolate on my soft-serve ice cream. I grabbed a club sandwich to go, which again was very expensive ($8.75) but lasted through the flight home. They do use a lot of fake meats, which I'm, usually not a big fan of, but actually enjoyed. I think this place is amazing, and if you are in the area, check it out. After all, how often do you get to experience treats this good?? Also, I went shortly before closing both times and they had ample treats each time!

Pros: Tasty, Many Flavors

Cons: Expensive, Slow when made fresh

Good but in a bad location - Edit

There food is really good even if it is a bit pricey however they moved into the recently gentrified Columbia Heights and are contributing too the further destruction of D.C. and a further takeover by mainly white yuppies. They do have cake in a cup though which is cake with frosting and such in a cup and it is really tasty and a perfect treat. The TLT and Club sandwich is also delicious as are all the deserts I have had. It is a great place in a poor location they should have found a place either already long gentrified or downtown somewhere or just stayed in Adams Morgan.

Pros: Good food, desserts are excellent , 100% vegan

Cons: expensive , gentrifying

Well worth the trip from B-more to D.C - Edit

Visited Sticky Fingers on our way out of the City. There was no seating available so we had to order our food to go. We tried the chicken quesadillas, the chicken ranch wrap, a couple different kinds of cupcakes, sweet & salty cookies and grabbed a slice of lasagna from the grab n go cooler.We also loaded up on a couple of other things while we were there like: dandies marshmallows, primal sticks, and a roll of teese cheese.

Every single thing that we ordered was soooo delicious. The quesadillas were stuffed with plenty of chicken and cheese, the wraps were hardy and the sweets were outstanding. My favorite was the lasagna. It was amazing.

I would definitely recommend Sticky Fingers to anyone visiting the D.C. area. I noticed some previous reviews noted that the staff was not friendly. However, our experience was pleasant. (Overly chatty girl behind the counter but she did say that she just started working there.)

Pros: great food, awesome desserts, friendly staff

Cons: limited seating

Very delicious, very expensive - Edit

The food here is delicious. No doubt about that. I am especially fond of the chili cheese nachos, the tempeh bacon breakfast bagel and the cookies and cake cupcake. That being said, it's all very expensive and I can easily spend $30+ on a meal for two with cupcakes for dessert. I can definitely make these items better and cheaper at home, but there's something to be said for convenience. The atmosphere itself is okay: cute decoration, friendly enough staff but there is little seating and it is always taken up by people making use of the free wifi. I solve this problem by getting things to go. Overall, I would definitely recommend Sticky Fingers.

Pros: Delicious food

Cons: Expensive, Parking

Eh... - Edit

i occasionally purchased from Sticky Fingers when they were in the little Shop on 18th. Go-To folks if you want to pay someone to make a cake.

The new shop's in my neighborhood so i frequently visit now.

Awesome check in for takeout (picnic/outing/roastrip/lazy).
Sadly, the bakery is not impressive--dry, cakey, over-sugared--you can do better yourself, except for the consistency in decoration for which they get props.

As others mentioned, they sell a cinnamon-roll mislabeled as a sticky bun. It's just eh.

A great spot to stop in for a bite and some takeout treats. Not nearly serious enough selection to brand itself primarily a bakery (mostly cupcakes, a few cookies, nothing else; no bread). EXCEPT the hoarde of b'laptopped scenesters who never leave eat up the limited seating.

i DO love Sticky Fingers and will continue to visit (it's a vegan cafe), but unless you've been living away from our people you won't be dazzled.

Pros: Community, Takeout, 100% Vegan

Cons: Mediocrity, Limited seating, Price

YES!!!!!!!!!!!!! GO!!!!!!!!! - Edit

BEST CINNAMON BUNS! sweet and sticky and warm and soft! mmmm!

BEST VEGAN SOFTSERVE! we got chocolate & vanilla. and they have sprinkles too! cone or cup. you decide!

they sell vegan magazines there!

their logo is a cute little evil raccoon!

GO GO GO!!!!!!!!

Pros: food, vegan ice cream, free wireless

Cons: nothing!, none!, nada!

Vegan sweets!!! - Edit

This is must stop for any vegan visiting the DC area. The vegan chilicheese dog is quite delicious, as are the nachos, and their sweets are amongst the top. I personally liked the soft serve, despite a negative review from another person. They have free wi-fi access, which is a blessing and a curse. Since the place is so small, at some times there will be nowhere to sit as the computer mob is taking up space that eating customers should be using!

Pros: vegan sweets!!!, nice staff, wi-fi access

Cons: too small, wi-fi access

Awesome! - Edit

We were on holiday in DC during the Thanksgiving week. We went here to get some lunch. Wow! Their specialty is sweets (duh!) but they have to-go breakfast items such as sausage bagels and egg Mcmuffins. They also have to-go sandwiches and salads. They have homemade soups also. We were thrilled because we could buy items for the following morning and be full for site seeing. The food is a little pricey but it's worth it! The staff are a little snobby, but that can be overlooked.

Pros: lots of choices, free wifi, yummy!

Cons: pricey, not so friendly staff

Disappointed - Edit

Everyone was raving about the Sticky Fingers Bakery, so I made sure to make it a definite stop on a tour, and also bought an assortment of cupcakes, as I had done at Vegan Treats (I bought minicakes at VT). The space is very cute, and reminiscent of VT. They have a display case and a small cafe, as well as a case of to-go foods.

The sticky bun we tried was okay, but was kind of dry and tasted a lot like the mail-order buns I've had before. The cupcakes were okay, but used jams and jellies over fresh fruit, and had the peculiar baking-soda flavor that my homemade cupcakes get when starting to turn stale.

Although I was disappointed by the sweets, the FOOD was actually wonderful. We thought the prices were a little high for pre-made sandwiches, but I'd probably pay it next time. I tried the lasagna, made with Teese and was delighted by the fresh herbs and spinach in it, as well as the excellent flavor. My friend got peanut noodles with tofu and it was amazing, creamy but not too rich.

As far as treats go, I'd rather wait for VT to start shipping to more locations, but I wish sticky fingers to-go foods were available in NC!

Gooey Yumminess - Edit

My hubby and I were just in DC over the weekend. We had planned a stop at Sticky Fingers, but when we got there, we weren't hungry, so we got two cupcakes to go. We then carted our cupcakes all over DC - through Adams Morgan, to the Zoo, to Chinatown, then back to Old Town to our hotel. After about 8 hours of touring the city, those cupcakes held up really well and darn tasty! I highly recommend - vegan or not!

Pros: Variety, Yummy, Treats hold up well to-go

delicious; a real birthday treat! - Edit

i had heard many great things about sticky fingers and insisted on going during my birthday vacation.
i was so happy about the place that it was hard for me to figure out what to get; there were a lot of great options.
we ended up going with the "turkey" sandwich and the "egg" sandwich. both were absolutely delicious...filling but not heavy (and easy to eat on the road, like we did). the bread was amazing and as someone who isn't a huge fan of tomatoes, i was happy to see the lack thereof.
i was going to get cupcakes, but because we were on the road i decided to go with things more travel-friendly. i got sticky buns and chocolate chip cookies. the buns were insanely amazing (my non-vegan mother was delighted and my 19-month old loved having a taste of something sweet). the cookies were light and sweet. i also got a cup of their house-blend coffee and it was perfect; since i'm a barista myself, this is a great perk! the location itself was lovely and the workers were awesome and gave us great directions, to boot.
i can't wait to get back to dc to partake in more goodies!

Pros: price, location, delicious

Superb! - Edit

Although we live over two hours away, we go to Sticky Fingers as often as possible. The baked goods are always delicious and the carry out deli items are very good also. The staff is always pleasant and helpful and we only wish the whole place could be cloned and moved closer. If you're a vegan with a sweet tooth, it is not to be missed.

Pros: Delicious pastries., Excellent deli etc., Pleasant, helpful staff.

Excellent Place for Breakfast - Edit

We were in DC for a long weekend and went to this place for a lazy Sunday morning breakfast. We both got "egg" sandwiches and the sticky buns and loved our food.

It would be nice if they made the sandwiches to order but this will not deter us from another visit.

Pros: nice atmosphere, good location, reasonable prices

A truly wonderful place - Edit

I've been going to Sticky Fingers Bakery since they were a tiny basement-level storefront, with seating for maybe two, on 18th Street in Adams Morgan. Now, they're a slightly larger street-level spot in Columbia Heights, a bit more than a block from a Metro station and half a block from a new shopping center on 14th Street. So I'm happy to say I've seen them grow and thrive.

I happen to be a big fan of their chocolate cupcakes, especially the Peanut Butter Fudge. I also love the Noreo cookie and their cakes. I've almost never been disappointed with their sweets. Even the softserve is a nice treat on a warm day, although I will concede that there are better soy ice creams.

They also have a number of prepackaged savory items. If you miss meaty breakfast sandwiches, the Veggie Egg Sandwich, which is served on a muffin, is for you. Zap it 45 seconds to a minute in the store microwave, and you have yourself a treat. One thing I've suggested they not do is put the vegan mayo on their sandwiches--I personally prefer mustard on my deli sandwiches. But I love their TLT (Tempeh Lettuce and Tomato) sandwiches and just wipe the mayo off. You can also get chili dogs and chili nachos. The last time I was there, I saw they now have vegan taquitos and burritos, and I will have to try them next time I'm there.

The owners of Sticky Fingers have said they are trying to find more environmentally friendly packaging that's not too expensive and encourage patrons to recycle bottles. If you're dining in, use the real silverware instead of disposable. And if you're taking food to go, bring your own bag.

Pros: Excellent location, Delicious food, Brightly lit, comfortable spot

Cons: Small space--they've outgrown it AGAIN, Kind of expensive

Mediocre - Edit

My family and I had breakfast here during a recent vacation. The breakfast sandwiches were pretty good but the rest of the food was just ok. The sticky buns were not really all that great and everyone ended up leaving most of them barely touched. We had the lemon cupcakes also and they were fine but nothing special. I wouldn't go out of my way to eat there but I would probably stop by if I was in the area.

Tasty treats - Edit

This is where I go most often to earn back my VSDC membership fee through the 10% discount they offer. I usually get a cupcake or piece of cheesecake, but the other sweets I've tried (noreos, brownies) are good, too. A sandwich or a hot dog makes for a good pre-cupcake lunch, although I probably won't be getting the chickpea salad sandwich again. My only really bad experience came when I wanted to try the vegan soft-serve ice cream. They only have one portion size: huge! I hate to waste good ice cream (especially when they charge $4+ for it), but eating all that would give me a stomachache.

Pros: cupcakes, cheesecake, hot dogs

Cons: too much ice cream

some good, some bad - Edit

I love this place for the things it does well, but I've definitely been disappointed here too.

What rocks:
cupcakes (chocolate with chocolate icing - yummmmmm)
cowvin cookie (oatmeal cream sandwhich thingy)
noreos (like a big cake-y oreo but so much better)

What's not so great:
little devil - kind of grossly dark chocolate, not sweet enough, made me a bit queasy.
soft serve - I was *so* disappointed cause the idea of soy soft serve had me excited, but this just doesn't do it. The soy ice cream from the grocery store is way better, this had a bad texture and a very soy-ish taste.
chickpea sandwhich - boring, bland, could have made a much better one myself.

Haven't tried the rest of their offerings yet, but I'm working on it!

Pros: cupcakes rock, it's a vegan bakery!, you can get a birthday cake

Cons: some things kind of suck, a bit expensive

Broad selection of sweet and savory - Edit

This D.C. establishment has certainly grown from its downstairs days on 18th Street, and with a proportional increase in customers. They offer a nice area to sit-down, both inside and out (when the weather is warm), and have free wi-fi. The atmosphere is very welcoming and spacious, which leads one to believe more seating could be placed somewhere! The selection of sweet and savory food is pretty good, so for those accompanying a sweet-tooth fanatic, a tempeh sandwich or pesto salad could be found. However, for all that Sticky Fingers has to offer, the cakes and cupcakes leave something to be desired. They are often dry and the frosting lacks depth of flavor. Additionally, a few other items that I have had from Sticky Fingers have left much to be desired, including muffins that are dry, attempts at doughnuts and some of the cookies. Most of the products that I eat at Sticky Fingers leave a film in my mouth! The sticky buns, their namesake product, are good, but all that white flour leaves one feeling weighted down! Besides, they are actually cinnamon rolls, sticky buns have gooey caramelized nut topping, not dry icing-drizzled tops. I've also heard word on the street that the sprinkles are not vegan. The sandwiches are relatively tasty, but using white bread all the time can get rather monotonous. Finally, I have placed a couple of orders here, both times I was not happy with the service. It seemed as though one time they had literally forgotten my order, hastily throwing together items from the case into a box while I waited. There is much potential, and I wait for the day when Sticky Fingers begins to take steps in that direction.

Pros: Selection, Wi-fi, Seating

Cons: Not organic, Not fair trade, Cake, frosting

Worth the Anticipation - Edit

This was the #1 place to see on my 2 week trip around the country. It's a wonder I didn't start shaking when I came in here, I was so excited. Coming from a town with very few vegan offerings, I definitely spazzed out when I came to Sticky Fingers. We got two chilli cheese dogs for lunch and also split a Tempeh-tomato-lettuce sandwich. The hotdogs were okay, but the sandwich was out of sight. I had a mocha latte that was to die for. I got a slice of carrot cake, a brownie, and two cinnamon buns to go. All of which proved a hassle to lug around as we did our sight-seeing. Everything was amazing except the brownie was pretty dry. We also got vanilla soft-serve on our way out and it was so delicious we didn't mind it was 30 degrees out while we ate it.

This place was completely out of our way, but completely worth it. When you come out of the metro station, cross the street and continue walking left a block or so until you run into it. Don't take a right out of the station whatever you do! We ended up in a 7-11 with 3 bullet-proof-vested cops trying to explain how to get to the correct street.

Pros: Great selection, Tastes great, Good prices

Cons: Very crowded, Awkward location

Great Sticky Buns - Edit

I only had the sticky buns but they were worth the trip. I was so impressed I brought some home with me. Very good coffee too boot. Staff was very friendly.

Pros: Sticky buns, free wi-fi, cute, friendly staff

Cons: Deliciousness encourges overeating

Yum! - Edit

I think I was more excited about going to Sticky Fingers than I was to see the White House on our trip to D.C. - I heard very good things! They did not disappoint. I seriously keep thinking about the chocolate dipped Noreos (I had two - mint and peanut butter - so good!). I also tried s'mores cake (decent), the oatmeal creme "cowvin" bar (tasted like it needed something, but I still ate it), almond cream cupcake (decent), and three different kinds of cookies (all yummy). Even the stuff that wasn't the best I've ever tasted is certainly the best I've tasted since going vegan!
Their deli stuff is good, too. We tried the stromboli (delicious!), a cold cut sub (delicious), and bbq seitan (extra delicious). Oh, and we had chili cheese dogs, too! I know - we pigged out, but we DID take a lot of that stuff back to the hotel room and ate it over several days, FYI. Overall I was so, so pleased and I wish they'd ship me some more Noreos. If you are in DC you MUST go! Trust me. I want to go back. I can't believe I didn't try the soft serve!

Nice start, but room to improve - Edit

Sticky Fingers shows a lot of promise. I tried a few of their offerings, including a strawberry shortcake cupcake, a chocolate cheesecake, a cranberry scone, and a chai latte. The shortcake had a great fluffy texture, but was slightly too sweet; the cheesecake was good, but would have been better if fresh; the scone was excellent; and the chai was bland and flat. I'll definitely visit again, just to see how much better they get, but for the moment, they're off to a good start.

Pros: Prices, Selection

Cons: Fresh items not available, Sugar levels need work

A must if in DC - Edit

Sticky Fingers is a MUST for any vegan or desert lover in DC. Their deserts are amazing and the price is worth it. Since moving to the new location, seating is abundant. I went 2x my last time in DC. The Sticky Buns are amazing - so light and fresh tasting. The frosting on the muffins must have had vegan cream cheese in it. It was amazing. The cookies are all very good too. You can't go wrong here. I wanted to try the cheesecake but it was $$ per slice. Since expanding SF now also makes sandwhiches. The first time I went I got one to go for later. There were only 3 choices. I got the BLT and wasn't all that impressed. Then again I am used to the avocado BLT made at my local coffee shop. Theirs was on a white bread, didn't have avocado on it, and didn't taste very healthy compared to other vegan BLTs i've had. I wish that they had more sandwhich choices since one of the reasosn they expanded was so that they could serve sandwhiches. However SF is still amazing, and I will not fault them for the mediocre sandwhich. Perhaps the other sandwhiches are better? I picked up a VegOut guide while there - which is a guide of all the veg places in DC. Best thing ever - I've never seen that in a big city before.

Pros: amazing vegan baked goods, large variety, lots of seating

Cons: pricey, sandwhiches so-so

Return to Washington Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Sticky Fingers Bakery closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 12085 times since Aug 2007.