Shanti

02-6494096

68 Ave Adolphe Buyl, Brussels, Belgium

Serves meat, vegan options available. Vegetarian friendly menu that also offers fish; wide variety of dishes. The restaurant is upstairs from the large health food store that occupies the ground floor. Location is outside the city centre, a short tax ride.

Category: Lacto, Ovo, International, European, Non-veg

First Review by GeoffH

So you do eat Fish? - Edit

Every time I have to explain what I eat and what I don't. Saying you are vegan and getting the question: "so you can eat fish, right?" is really the most annoying question I always get... So yes, they are veg-friendly because I always get a nicely filled plate with loads of different veggies, but FISH ARE ANIMALS TOO! I think I'm just a bit disappointed, because they are located next to my bio-shop carrying the same name and think it's logic they know what vegetarian/vegan is.

Best in Brussels? - Edit

This is one of the best finds in Brussels. Staff are very friendly, atmosphere is great and worth experimenting with the wide-ranging courses. Adventurous, makes vegetarianism interesting. Also (as I am the non-veggie in the marriage) I can safely say that the fish is as good as the veggies are. It is so nice to have somewhere that both people have a good selection of choices. Only fault is the location, a tiny bit away from more vibrant areas - but only a short taxi away... worth the few euros to go out of way.

Pros: Food, Staff, Atmosphere

Cons: A little off beaten track

Interesting, Flavoursome food. - Edit

As you can imagine, finding a vegetarian restaurant in a country who's main cuisine is influenced by French and Flemish food isn't that easy. There aren't that many, but what a find Shanti is. A quirky little restaurant two floors above an enigmatic entrance on a quiet street. My wife is vegan, I'm ok with most foods, Shanti does a mix of vegetarian and fish dishes. The vegetarian dishes are really interesting and flavoursome combinations of ingredients, with a slightly North African influence, though that may have just been the dishes on the day were there. Very reasonably priced, the owner and staff are great fun and spoke good enough English which with our good enough French got us by. Really great find!!

Return to Brussels Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Shanti closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.