Senor Veggie

• Friend
Contact 210-228-0073

620 S Presa, San Antonio, Texas, USA, 78210

Vegan catering service turned brick-and-mortar full-service restaurant in Jan 2014. Offers a variety of Tex-Mex dishes, from nachos and lentil chili to mushroom fajitas and its signature SV burger. Jazz brunch menu on Saturdays. Open Tue-Sat 11:00am-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Organic, Take-out, Mexican, Catering

First Review by veggiediva

great food - Edit

Easy walking distance from Riverwalk area. Very friendly staff and great vegan food. I loved the Cactus tamales. The pumpkin muffin was just ok. I would recommend a visit. Easy street parking as well.

Pros: all vegan

Cons: baked goods average

Great diverse selection, oh so delicious - Edit

Located in the arts district of San Antonio is Senor Veggie, a fully vegan restaurant with a focus on Latin American favorites (ya know...tacos, empanadas, fajitas, enchiladas), but also has Asian, Italian, and classic Southern flavors on the menu. I ordered the Eggplant Torta. The large sandwich comes with fries (or choose another side for a small upcharge). The grilled bollilo roll was stuffed (I mean stuffed) with a black bean spread, crispy fried eggplant, lettuce, pico, and a peppercorn ranch dressing. The sandwich was awesome, and the salty pico with the crunchy eggplant was a perfect bite. The creamy dressing was just enough to flavor the sandwich and not overpower it. For the side, I got the Mediterranean vegetables, they tasted good, but they were really curry flavored, which didn't pair well with the sandwich (and isn't really Mediterranean, but hey). Stick with the fries, they would go really well with the torta. Overall, I really enjoyed my meal at Senor Veggie, and I would definitely be back for a meal and to raid their bakery case (it's filled with vegan cupcakes and other goodies).

Pros: Excellent food, Large Portions

Great vegan spot - Edit

Great food! Everything is really whole foods plant based type of vegan. Not much processed or fake vegan food. Very minimal but very tasty and good! Staff is always super friendly and they have a live band on Fridays and Saturdays i believe. Parking is in back and they have dessert too!

Pros: Good vegan food, Friendly staff, Good parking

Cons: Far away

Loved it! - Edit

I had lunch at Senor Veggie on a short trip to San Antonio and was very impressed! I ordered the poblano corn fritters appetizer and jackfruit street tacos with a side of lentil chili (which was more than enough - I had a lot of leftovers!). All of the items were delicious, and service was quick and friendly. Highly recommend!

Pros: 100% vegan!

Really fun! - Edit

Not at all typical Southwest or Mexican, despite the name. Had to go back several times just to enjoy so many choices!! Nice enough atmosphere to enjoy as an evening of dining out, but priced very acceptably.

Pros: Unique dishes, delightfully flavorful!

Senor Veggie in San Antonio - Edit

Senor Veggie was a great restaurant to go to in San Antonio, because of its great food, its variety of Gluten Free Vegan options for lunches, suppers, and desserts, and its proximity to the river walk motel I was staying at. I was so impressed by the wait staff and the ambiance, I went back for several meals over several days, and also bought a Senor Veggie T-shirt as a gift. My visit was before they obtained their liquor license.

Pros: GFV wide selection of meals, Really great wait staff, Nice ambiance and relaxing patio dining

Cons: A bit pricey, Location a little bit dicey

Spinach dip!!!! - Edit

Excellent! The spinach dip was amazing. If you want dessert, grab it when you see it as they sell out fast. The PO Boy sandwich was also tasty with waffle fries. Nice atmosphere and friendly people. Will be back again soon!

Pros: Delicious, Cozy, Friendly staff

Cons: Spinach Dip is seasonal :(

Do not miss this restaurant when in San Antonio!!! - Edit

WOW. seriously some of the best vegan food I had never had. Jeremiah was our server and Ashely greeted us at the door. The services was FANTASTIC and the food was AMAZING. I had the Street Tacos and absolutely loved them. the Waffle fries blew me away as well....i was expecting the standard waffle fries that you would get at any other restaurant, but these were light and fresh and soooo tasty. Jeremiah was so friendly and attentive and recommended some great places to visit while here as well. Definitely will be back for more as soon as possible.

Pros: Excellent Food, Friendly Staff, Decent prices

good vegan vibes - Edit

The empanada appetizer is stellar. Also have had mini chalupas and tried street tacos and bean burger, which were all really good. The cupcakes are the best I've ever had, vegan or otherwise. Vegan paradise!

Everythings bigger in Texas, including servings - Edit

All I can say is that servings were uber huge, and that's awesome. Also I should mention waitress, she was exelent and super friendly. Food was high quality! I had a burger and some guacamole with chips and ginger root beer!

Pros: Friendly staff, Food was delish

Cons: No wi-fi

OH MY GOSH THIS PLACE OM NOM - Edit

This place was sent from the Heavens to enable my vegan food addiction. I have tried something different on each visit and I've never really been disappointed. Their Veggie Street Tacos are packed with flavor and filled to the rim, I love them. They also use to have a kids pesto pasta dish, that I am very sad to say, is no longer on the menu. The Corn Fritters with Chipotle Mayo are a little on the greasy side, but are still super yummy. The Lettuce Wraps aren't my favorite thing, but they are a light fresh meal if that's what you're looking for. The Vichyssoise Soup is out of this freaking world. However, the Texican Lentil Chili is very bland, which is unfortunate because I LOVE chili. The Mini Chalupas are by far my favorite thing on the menu and I usually take a to-go order home with me. The deserts are definitely hit or me. To me a lot, of it taste exactly the same. My favorite from that would probably be the wedding cookies and their hibiscus berry cupcake. This place is definitely a "must try". I would go everyday if it wasn't so far from me!

Pros: Great Variety, Low Prices, 100% Vegan

Cons: Bland Chili, Freezing In The Winter Time

Don't miss this one! - Edit

As our mission was to take as long a walk on the Riverwalk as possible, Senor Veggie was a real find. Not only is it vegan, but easily accessible on foot from the Riverwalk. We had black bean burgers with a kale salads, both very filling and really yummy. The vegan desserts were very reasonably priced and tasty. It was such a relief to find a restaurant where we could pick anything on the menu without having to ask questions about the ingredients. They seem to be busy and doing well. Hopefully they will be able to continue to expand.

Pros: Good nutritious food, Nice atmosphere, Cose to Riverwalk and downtown

YUMMMM Vegan Mexican Healthy Goodness - Edit

I'm from Tel Aviv, one of the vegan capitals of the world, so I was decidedly worried about visiting San Antonio. Thank goodness, Senor Veggie was listed on HappyCow.

I've actually never had Mexican food, so this place was a real treat! I went with my aunt and uncle, all totally starving, so we immediately ordered a plate of nachos. We got his epic, gigantic plate of nachos with black bean dip, melted vegan cheese, avocado, pico di gallo, and awesome crumbled tempeh on top. The chips were freshly, lightly fried -- just EPIC.

We also ordered the buffalo tofu wrap, street tacos, and a broccoli stir-fry. The stir-fry was pretty standard, bur definitely great -- broccoli steamed nicely (not soggy at all). My buffalo tofu wrap was really yummy and spicy and VERY filling. And I had a side of the special - lime chili carrots. They were also lightly steamed and hot, definitely a super tasty combination. The buffalo tofu was spicy, but not too spicy. The tacos has jackfruit, which I had never had before! Jackfruit is a Thai fruit with a meaty texture. It tasted like roasted garlic and was just great.

The prices are reasonable and the portions are HUGE, I neeeeeed to go back for the kale salad immediately.

Just what I needed! - Edit

What a terrific find during my stay in San Antonio! Lovely atmosphere, very friendly servers and OUTSTANDING food! I had the SV Burger with the soup of the day (white bean) and it was fairly priced, filling and delicious! Can we have one in St. Paul, MN please!!!

Contributions +394

Yummy Mexican Food - Edit

I got some great Mexican food at this place. When my plate arrived it was filled with a ton of food. The food was extremely tasty. When you are in San Antonio this is a place you must go.

Pros: tasty food, friendly staff

DO NOT MISS THIS! - Edit

If you like lime and cilantro, don’t miss Senior Veggie. I LOVE this combo as it transported me to Caribbean Latin America. There is a choice here for all flavor lovers. I stared with the Lettuce Wraps, this is really a giant salad and it’s fantastic, but it’s really a giant kale salad served on romaine leaves. Just forget about wrapping and you’ll be fine. Avocado Mango Salad, was not really a salad, it’s really mango guacamole/salsa and chips. The mango guac was great. Street Tacos, which are really amazing Jackfruit Tacos—don’t miss this!. With the Mushroom Barley soup….amazeballs. Daily Tamale Special, served with their Lentil Chili on top, and rice and beans. What a plate! Hibiscus Tea Agua Fresca and Special Cucumber lime Agua Frescas (very refreshing and hydrating. Finishing with the world’s most awesome chewy fudge like vegan brownie. The space is very mexy and fun with art photos of mexico against a southwestern color palate. Say hello to my server Valarie, she was tops! I ate there twice—second time the Aqua was Pineapple ginger! All in all my DO NOT MISS picks are: Agua Frescas, Portobello Fajitas, Tamales if they have them, Street Tacos and the Mushroom Barley soup, for a salad get the lettuce wraps, and for a healthy dish the Good Karma Bowl was awesome. Knock yourself out w/a dessert. Everything here is fresh and fantastic! I also bought a shirt with a pink carrot on it!

Pros: Flavor, Variety, Freshness

Bright Spot in San Antonio - Edit

A great variety of beautifully prepared dishes. All of my omnivore friends were surprised by the experience. Thank you for providing an all vegan eatery in the heart of beef country. I brought three deserts to take with me, the carrot cake (cup cake) was my favorite, but eating the sweet potato empanada on the plane was a real treat.
There was too much cilantro (it tastes like soap to me) in the jack fruit tacos.

Cons: too much cilantro

Lovely! - Edit

I visited Señor Veggie for lunch today with my mother and loved the food! I had the Veggie Street Tacos with the Veggie of the Day: green beans, and my mom had the Portobello Fajitas. Both dishes were fantastic! The server was attentive but not overly so, and the only thing was that we were the only ones in the restaurant. It was, however, 2 pm on a Thursday.

Great lunchspot - Edit

This place saved us on our stop in San Antonio. We had no car so being able to reach this place on foot made our lives a lot easier :)

The food was nice- I personally really didn't like the shoestring fries as they were so thin and crispy, they were like extra fine crisps (or chips for you americans!). Too greasy and hard to eat, just broke in my hand and made a mess, annoying.

Having said that, the tempeh sandwich I had was lovely and we returned the next day to have more. We also bought treats for the road which were nice and simple and reasonably priced!

I hope this place does well as it's nice to see a vegan movement happening across Texas!

Convention Center Dining - Edit

For a, trying to go Vegan, vegetarian this place saved me during a recent convention in San Antonio. It is an easy, and delightful, walk from the convention center. Do walk thru the Hemisphere Plaza on your way there because there is a lot to see. I treated my non-veg comrades to a meal at Senor Veggie and it was so good and reasonable they voluntarily returned on their own.

Pros: walkable location, carnivores even like the food, friendly

Cons: patio is hot in the afternoon sun

Happy there's a new vegan spot, but it needs work - Edit

I was so happy to hear that San Antonio was getting another vegan restaurant! (I used to live in San Antonio, but I'm still there quite often to visit family and friends.)

However, I am sad to say that I was very disappointed by the quality of the food. Maybe I just got them on a bad day, but I was not impressed.

The corn fritters were completely uncooked inside, so they were gushy and pretty gross.

The lettuce wraps were lettuce filled with lettuce (one tiny piece of tofu per wrap). Not my idea of a lettuce wrap. We ate it as a salad - it was easier, and it was pretty much a salad anyway.

We also tried the jackfruit tacos, and I was disappointed with them as well. The jackfruit needed to cook longer, it tasted raw and the marinade hadn't had time to cook or caramelize.

The best thing we ordered were the chalupas, and they were very satisfying.

We tried a couple of desserts, which were alright. My favorite was the wedding cookies!

I'm a vegan living in Texas, so I go out of my way to support the few vegan and vegetarian restaurants we have! So I will definitely be back at Senor Veggie to see if they've made improvements. I hope they do, because the building is beautiful, and the neighborhood is a great for a new restaurant! I want them to last, and I'm afraid that if they don't improve the quality and consistency of the food, they'll be the next vegan restaurant in Texas to fail.

Hoping the next time I try it out, the food is amazing and I can rewrite this review for five stars!

Pros: Great neighborhood , Great building

Cons: Food is mediocre at best

Not there yet - Edit

I was in San Antonio recently to do some training(I work in San Francisco) and the training center was a short walk from Senor Veggie. I'm vegan, so imagine how thrilled I was to discover this. Unfortunately, the food was quite not as good as I had hoped. That said, I went there four days in a row for lunch because I wanted to support them. My main complaint is how bland many things were: the poblano corn fritters (which were also a little greasy, but still good) and the black bean burger were not the least bit spicy. I did enjoy the Lettuce Wraps and a BBQ pecan seiten special. One person that come with me one day said her kale salad was too salty to eat, but another person loved the falafel wrap.

I'm going back to San Antonio in June and will still come here for lunch every day. I'm just hoping they will add some spice (this is Texas, after all!) and go easy on the salt.

Pros: VEGAN!, reasonably priced, large portions

Cons: some dishes are bland, too salty

Fabulosos! - Edit

I LOVE Senor Veggie, the food's look and taste! Thank you to the professionalism of the owners, Tiffany and Jose! More vegan food than my vegan heart can bear and in a great spot in downtown SA, where compassionate food is needed! So happy for you and us! Thank you for hosting over 50 people with the San Antonio Vegetarian Society recently.

Pros: vegan, delicious, looks fantastic

Cons: none

Friendly *new* addition to vegan fare in SATX!! - Edit

Open for just 3 months so far, cheery Senor Veggie promises another favorite hangout for hungry and thirsty vegan people in SATX. Using fresh, local, organic produce as often as possible, Senor Veggie serves up generous portions of colorful and creative *vegan only* fare to surprise and delight your senses every visit! Many (but not all) foods are also Gluten Free. (ask if you're not sure)

Order and pay up front at the counter. Servers bring drinks and food to your table.

Dining room is comfy, spacious and bright, even large enough for group meetings or fun parties. Owners closed the restaurant one evening for our SA Veg Society meeting. They served us an absolutely delicious, healthy and filling meal, complete with drink and dessert for a *very* reasonable price. We enjoyed a well-attended meeting (50+) and easily heard every word from our speaker without interruptions or noise from other patrons. (Best SAVS mtg yet!)

Don't miss Senor Veggie's sweet potato wedges w/Chef Jose Alfredo Cruz's *fabulous* curry ketchup! (Never been a ketchup fan before!) His classical French culinary training shows up in every single sauce and morsel they serve. (and you won't wanna leave *any* to waste!)

Yesterday's offerings included scrumptious sweet potato samosa appetizers with lime cilantro sauce, tasty saag paneer plate, and freshly juiced watermelon/mint beverage. Topped off with 2 different versions of baklava (one w/o nuts), we left happy and looking forward to our next visit!

Next time, we'll sit outside on the lovely raised deck to enjoy the sunshine, potted plants and passers by while we savor whatever masterpieces of vegan culinary pleasure grace the menu.

Hearty homemade soup is always on the menu. (mmmm... good!) And if you come for a special romantic dinner, BYOB. :D

Pros: clean, bright, comfortable atmosphere, generous portions, creative and fun specials!!

A most welcome addition - Edit

Who needs Green now that we've got Senor Veggie? That used to be my favorite restaurant until it moved from its original location to one highly congested and less convenient. I plan to try everything on the Senor Veggie menu and have loved everything so far. No complaints but just a suggestion that customers ordering Mexican food to go shouldn't have to ask for salsa. Their salsa is delicious and I didn't know until I already was home (should have checked my order first) that it's not automatically included.

Looking forward to more of the items being offered through their catering service being added to the restauarant menu.

Best wishes and may you live long and prosper in King William!

LOVE this place!!! - Edit

We first discovered Señor Veggie at the Alamo Quarry Farmer's Market (on Sundays). We tried their Falafel burrito and loved it. When we heard they were opening up a restaurant, we were ecstatic!

When I saw the menu, I was very excited about all of the choices! We were set on ordering the falafel burritos when we came in, but after seeing the menu we had a tough time deciding what to order. I ordered the buffalo tofu po' boy and my husband ordered the falafel bowl. We also ordered the baby bowl of beans and rice for my child, the lettuce wraps as an appetizer, and agua frescas for drinks. Everything was outstanding! The lettuce wraps were not pre-wrapped, though. Everything was laid on big lettuce leaves and very hard to wrap. Also, the shoestring fries I had with my meal were soaked in oil, extraordinarily thin and crispy. I didn't enjoy them, but hey, maybe that's how shoestring fries are supposed to be. Our entrees were all excellent.

Overall, I am very pleased with this place. Try it out- you won't be disappointed!

Best Birthday Food EVER!! - Edit

This husband and wife team are a dream to work with! I have been Vegan my entire adult life and have never tasted food this good! All of my friends at my party would not stop talking about how great everything was (even the meat eaters)!! The presentation was beautiful and Jose & Tiffany were so professional. They made me want to cater all of our dinners and parties bc it was so effortless!

My daughter's wedding is coming up and if I have anything to say about it, it will be a Señor Veggie dinner reception!!

So delicious!
Updated from previous review on Thursday April 25, 2013

Pros: great owners, THE BEST Vegan food , affordable!!

Cons: They need a restaurant so I can go!

Return to San Antonio Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Senor Veggie closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 9222 times since Feb 2013.