Saturn Cafe

Contact 510-845-8505

2175 Allston Way, Berkeley, California, USA, 94704

An offshoot of its first location in Santa Cruz, this one opened Aug 2010. Vegetarian diner serving veggie burgers, fries, and shakes. Funky decor with also a Space Lounge that hosts live shows, DJs, karaoke, and local artwork; available for private events. Mon-Fri 11:00am-12:00am, Sat-Sun 10:00am-12:00am

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Organic, Beer/Wine, Take-out

First Review by vegan_geek

Yummy - Edit

The menu has plenty of options for vegans. The french fries are delicious and filling. If you want a light lunch or dinner, the salads are a good alternative. Ask for Suji, she is an amazing waitress! And very attentive.

Pros: Open until 12:00 midnight

Fun place - Edit

This is a fun place that I like to go to when I'm home visiting. I can bring my non-vegan family there and everybody loves it. Personally, I would love it if they weren't so dairy heavy and had some healthier items on the menu, but it's a take on diner food.

Pros: vegan options

Cons: Lots of dairy, extra charge for vegan items

Deliciious vegan comfort foods - Edit

Funky little place with diner décor. Lots of meat analogues, and veggie comfort foods. Lots of vegan options, but not very plant-forward. My peanut bowl (tofu, rice, veggies, peanut sauce) was quite delicious.

Pros: Comfort foods, Big portions, Vegan options

Cons: Lots of meat analogues

A favourite when in town - Edit

Ok so it's veggie and not vegan but it's a great spot, lovely decor, attentive staff, late hours and yummy diner food. Love the burgers, the soya shakes and the nacho plates. A great venue!

Pros: Yummy vegan food , Great staff, Gender neutral toilets

Cons: Needs more vegan options

Saturn Puts Dairy Industry Ahead Of Vegans - Edit

Based on my order experience, disappointed. The veggie patty burger I ordered came with cow cheese. They offered vegan cheese, but for extra cost. I asked if they reduce price if no cheese. Saturn refused. I asked if they would substitute avacado for cheese. Saturn refused. Saturn taxes vegans to subsidize the dairy industry and that is infuriating.

Late Night Burger & Beer - Edit

Most veggie places in Berkeley close around 10pm, but a lot of UC night-classes don't get out until 9:30pm. Well, Saturn is open plenty late. They have perfect diner food and surprisingly good coffee. For me it's a no-brainer: get the diablo burger with vegan jack cheese and a PBR. Or a vegan shake with a side of the famous fries.

Minus 1 star for not being vegan despite having pamphlets near the exit explaining the tremendous animal abuse inflicted by companies that sell dairy/eggs.

Pros: open late, beer, friendly staff

Cons: not all vegan, shadow box tables can be unappetizing, food is delicious but can be pretty heavy

Peanut Not-so-Royale - Edit

The burgers may be good but the Peanut Royale was a disaster. I was served tired vegetables on forgettable rice covered with a sauce that was more like a flour gravy than a peanut sauce. (It was white!) Has anyone working there ever tasted a true peanut sauce? And the taquitos on the appetizer sampler had a strange floral taste to them. Even my husband found them disgusting.
To add insult to injury, the wait staff seemed completely uninterested in the customers and never even asked about our food. It was obvious that there was a problem with at least one of the meals at the table and no one asked about it. What a waste of money.
We will never eat there again.

Pros: easy to get a table, son enjoyed the milkshake

Cons: very poor quality food, uninterested wait staff

just go straight for the fries-Diner Atmosphere , - Edit

they have a this awesome good vegan sauces for taquitoes.. that no one else has.. CHipolet sauce...

There's also a fudge cake which I didn't order. I know it'll be too sweet for me, but knowing there's a vegan version out there is really cool.

Nice atmosphere, great for dating

This place will make you feel like a young kid again...in a good way!

Pros: service, variety, memories

Cons: fries are bad, ha ha

Great Diner Style Veg Fare - Edit

If you are not looking for health food, Saturn Cafe is a great place to visit. I had a vegan mint choc. chip that was super tasty, as well as vegan nachos.
I was disappointed when I ordered the Santa Fe salad with the vegan option (assuming this meant they simply used vegan cheese instead of dairy) only to find out upon getting my food that the faux chicken they use is not vegan and simply left out. This wasn't a big deal, but I felt it should have been explained and instead I was left with an underwhelming salad.
I still enjoyed my experience and would go back if visiting Berkeley.
My husband had the jalapeno burger which he seemed quite pleased with. The staff was also very accommodating to my friend's 2 year old by providing things such as a plain burger patty, and diced avocados upon request.

Pros: Tasty vegan junk food, Vegan shakes, Neat atmosphere

Cons: Bit pricey for diner food

Great fries and milkshakes, but too expensive... - Edit

Saturn is a cute restaurant that serves up vegetarian diner food. It is on the pricy side of things and most of what they serve is processed food that one can buy at the grocery store such as griller patties, taquitos, etc. Their homemade burger which they recently made vegan is a soggy mushy mess which is unfortunate because I'm not a huge fan of Grillers which is the only other vegan burger they offer besides the portabello burger which is great! I am a big fan of the skinny fries especially with a side of the vegan ranch which is super tasty. I also really enjoy the vegan vanilla milkshake with peanut butter added, amazing! Their salads are fresh and tasty as are their dressings, although I do think it's ridiculous that they charge an extra $2 to sub a salad for fries. The soup is hit or miss although I really enjoy their tortilla soup! The vegan breakfast burrito is pretty good although I wasn't impressed by the salsa and would rather the tofu spread and guac be in the actual burrito rather than on the side. Oh, the tofu spread is excellent and I much prefer it to Follow Your Heart vegan cheese which is flavorless and boring. I also like that they serve RC cola!

Pros: open late, vegan options, cute space

Cons: expensive, mostly processed food, easily made at home

Good stuff - Edit

I go to Saturn cafe a lot. I'm a vegan who loves the occassional junk food meal. Saturn cafe makes amazing vegan milkshakes (chocolate, pb and banana), great vegan taquitos, breakfast burritos, fries etc. The atmosphere is fun and they serve alcohol. It's also open late night. Perfect.

Pros: cheap, fun, vegan goodness

Cons: fattening

Good burgers. Nice interior - Edit

I had the jalapeno burger and it was very good. That being said, there is basically only burgers and salads and about half are vegan or can be made vegan. The restaurant has a real diner feel and clean. Parking is an issue on weekends and evenings. The burgers are not inexpensive.

Pros: good burgers, nice place

Cons: prices, parking

Return to Berkeley Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Saturn Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3543 times since Aug 2010.