River House Restaurant

Serves meat, vegan options available. Restaurant on the waterfront. Primarily meat stuff but does offers an in-house-made black bean burger though reportedly uses butter - so check. Has a gluten free section on menu.

Categories: Lacto, Ovo, American, Non-veg

First Review by adoremus523

OK if you're with a group, but don't seek it out - Edit

This is the kind of place that seafood eaters love to eat and veg*ns will be mystified as to why. I suppose I'm biased, I don't like seafood restaurants, where the veg food tends to be overpriced, uninspired, and faintly fishy.

I had the kale salad, and some of it was yellow. I was there with a group and didn't pick it, but it's definitely not a place I would put on happy cow. It's a little sad cow honestly. Sure, there are several salads that you can delete enough ingredients from until they're vegan, but at just a stone's throw from Green Elephant... if you have any say in the matter, go elsewhere!

Pros: Nice location and views

Cons: Not a lot for vegans on the menu, Veggies weren't fresh or good, Sad

Good for mixed groups - Edit

Got the Thai Noodle salad (which comes in appetizer and entrée size) which was delicious. The waitress said other salads could also be veganized. There's a veggie burger also, which I didn't ask about, but the restaurant summary above says something about butter being used. Though there aren't many vegan choices it's a decent choice for a mixed group where some people are looking for seafood. Really lovely river views and helpful staff.

Return to Portsmouth Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has River House Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.