Rice

Contact 310-798-7722

820 Manhattan Ave Ste 105, Manhattan Beach, California, USA, 90266

Serves meat, vegan options available. Opened in Dec 2012 by a former manager of LA Little Tokyo's Shojin restaurant. Offers sake, fish, sushi, and has vegan sushi with gluten free choices. Open Mon-Fri 12:00pm-2:30pm, Mon-Thu 5:30pm-10:30pm, Fri 5:30pm-11:00pm, Sat 12:00pm-11:00pm, Sun 12:00pm-10:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Japanese, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by spiceislandvegan

great food and nice atmosphere - Edit

This place is small and popular, so call ahead and make a reservation for a weekend. I love the peach iced tea, yellow submarine roll, portobello tempura, cucumber salad, sweet potato crunchy rice, and the garlic pumpkin! Service is nice, well decorated, large vegan menu, what else could you ask for?

The Best of the Best - Edit

"Rice" deserves the greatest kudos, and lots more of them! It is a truly excellent Japanese macrobiotic restaurant that offers heavenly tasting unique, creative, quality small dishes. Most especially, if you are NOT an avid, experienced stay-at-home macrobiotic cook--like I am NOT, "Rice" offers a unique change from the same old/same old macrobiotic choices that I know how to cook and that I find in most vegan restaurants. The garlic "toro with crispy kale" is to die for. The crispy kale literally melts in your mouth, and pared with the warm blue fin sashimi...well it's out of this world. So were all the other dishes we had. The servers were especially adept at helping us order by recommending the most popular dishes and advising how many to order. A much-needed quality macro restaurant in the (largely) health-food desert that comprises the South Bay.

Pros: Delicious, Quality Food, Genius Chef

Cons: NONE

great fund - Edit

We're glad we found this place. The Portabello Mushroom and the Sautéed Brussels Sprouts were amazing. The eggplant was exceptional.
Small quaint place with many vegan choices for rolls and appetizers.
We'll definitely be back

I Love Rice! - Edit

I love rice! Literally, I love rice but I love RICE restaurant, too.

A friend told us about this place and said that it's like Shojin but not an all-vegan restaurant with a vegan menu. We got to try it. I love vegan sushi.

YUM! We started with tempura and potato chips (crispy potato, homemade) as appetizers. Then, we ordered Spicy Dynamite and The Yellowbrick Road vegan sushi. I read Yelp reviews beforehand and seems that people like these. Oh my, everything we ate were so good, especially, the Spicy Dynamite.

We also had Kirin Free (non alcoholic beer) since we don't drink. We were surprised that Kirin made an alcohol free, 0.00% alcohol. It's a hard find. It was so good with the appetizer and vegan sushi.

For dessert we opted the 3 kinds of ice cream (vegan). The winner was the green tea ice cream.

Pro: Really yummy food and great service. The waitress was so very helpful and funny to converse with.

Con: Parking is hard since it is a beach city but if you can find a spot, it's all worth it.

We will be back for sure. I got to try the ramen next time since I love noodle also.

Pros: Yummy food, Vegan sushi, Vegan appetizers and salads

Cons: Too far from me, Parking is hard to find

Return to Manhattan Beach Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Rice closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.