Number Nine

Contact 562-434-2009

2118 E 4th St (at Cherry Ave ), Long Beach, California, USA, 90814

Serves meat, vegan options available. Sleek modern atmosphere with lots of light in the afternoon and moody lighting at night. Several clearly identified vegetarian options including pho, banh mi, crepe, egg rolls and spring rolls (vegan). The pan seared tofu with scallions is also vegan, though it isn't labeled as so. Selection of traditional drinks, beers, wines, and cocktails.

Category: Lacto, Ovo, Vietnamese, Non-veg

First Review by michelleb

Pho-Sure! - Edit

My daughter and I love Retro Row, and decided we needed dinner and vegan chocolate so off we went. We walked past and smelled the super yummy Pho coming from Nine but carried on to get our chocolates. We asked at Ananadine where they would recommend for vegan in walking distance. He suggested Number Nine, yay vegan Pho - perfect because it smelled amazing but we thought it would be all bone broth.

We went in and it is self seating we grabbed a spot and waited a few minutes before menus arrived. We advised that we had vegan requirements and they let us know that the peanut sauce in the veggie spring rolls contained fish sauce and they could easily give us an alternate sauce.

We order 2 bowls of Veggie Pho and spring rolls and 2 waters. We unfortunately had to ask for our waters a second time when our spring rolls were delivered but other than that the service was good, a little slow, but I think there was a large party in the back so that explains why service was a little slow. The spring rolls were really good and the alternate sauce was excellent, it tasted like it was a vinegar base and a little spicy just perfect. The pho came in a huge bowl, It was flavorful with large pieces of mushroom, carrot, daikon, noodles, and tofu. Of course all the traditional add ins jalapeno, sprouts, basil, Hoisin and Siracha are served on the side.

If I could do 1/2 stars this ould be one of those times, the slow service made it more than a 3 but not quite a 4. Everything was good a little more expensive then Little Saigon, but I was very comfortable that they fully understood food restrictions. I will be back.

Pros: Vegan options, Good sized portions, educated on food needs

Cons: Slow service

Yummy Vegan Vietnamese - Edit

Number Nine isn't necessarily the most "authentic" Vietnamese food you'll ever have, but it's yummy and quite veggie friendly. They offer vegetarian versions of both pho and bun, as well as vegetarian egg and spring rolls (vegans note, the egg rolls are not vegan). This is a slightly more upscale-feeling restaurant in Long Beach's hip retro row neighborhood, so it's a good spot for a date or a dinner out with friends. They also have a more-interesting-than-usual beer menu. Highly recommended.

Pros: Vegan bun, Vegan pho, Nice Ambience

Number Nine - #1 - Edit

Great dinner tonight in Long Beach, a virtual wasteland for vegans! We ate at Number Nine, a vegan friendly vietnamese restaurant with great fresh vegan spring rolls and pho! This is a must visit! Here's the website is www.numberninenoodles.com. Ask for Rudy! The best we've encountered in a while.

Pros: Great food, Great Service, Great Location

a great spot on retro row - Edit

If combining vegan food and exploration are your thing, come to retro row in Long Beach for vintage shopping and a wonderfully modern asian spot with beer and vegan pho!

Pros: beer, pho, clean

Cons: serves meat

Great Veggie Pho - Edit

The Veggie Pho is delicious! Great clean space and great service. I'd give them 5 smiling cows if they didn't serve meat.

Pros: veggie options, clean, friendly staff

Cons: serves meat =(

A 10 for Number Nine! - Edit

I live down the street from Number Nine, and my friends and I love it! I'm not a huge pho fan, but my friends like it and they eat pho quite often at various places. I definitely recommend the veggie spring rolls and Tofu bun, which are my favorite. They do offer the seared tofu as an appetizer if you don't want the bun... but by all means, if drive out to Long Beach just to go to Number Nine... get the bun! There are also veggie egg rolls and tofu pho as well on the menu.

The restaurant itself is very clean with beautiful succulent gardens displayed in the windows. The seats might be a little uncomfortable for some and if you want any sort of privacy... you're not gonna get it here, as the seats are fairly close to one another. The service is fine; sometimes really good, sometimes not. I go for the food, not the service.

Pros: Veggie options

Cons: Seating

Return to Long Beach Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Number Nine closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2044 times since Jan 2011.