Nourish Cafe

36/38 Alanpya Pagoda Rd (at Yangon Yoga House), Yangon, Myanmar

Vegetarian cafe at Yangon Yoga House serving mostly vegan food (except for yogurt and bee products). Small street heading downhill opposite Park Royal Hotel entrance. Est. 2016. Open Mon-Thu 10:00am-9:00pm, Fri-Sat 10:00am-3:00pm, Sun 10:00am-7:00pm.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Western, Take-out, Fusion

First Review by Katwelo

Great western vegan food but pricy - Edit

Went there for a light dinner and had 2 wraps: roast veggie and pesto. There were both really tasty - nice sauce, fresh ingredients. Portions could be a bit bigger considering the price.

Amazing smoothies and take away meal packs - Edit

Google maps is right... Its between the main roads down an alley way opposite the Park Royal Hotel.

Great smoothie bowl and the best iced cold pressed americano i gave have ever had!

I have actually changed my trip so I can come back to sample more from the menu!

They do meal packs to take away which was perfect for the over night bus

The owner was also super helpful about travelling and places to see.

Pros: Huge selection , Meal packs , Best coffee

Cons: Could be easier to find

Tammi555 25 Jan 2018 - Thank you for your lovely review, we're very glad you enjoyed your visit and hope you had a great rest of your time in Myanmar.

Expensive, lack of flavour, good smoothies - Edit

For one meal I paid the price that we use to pay for four meals in other vegan/veggie restaurants in Yangon. The bowls and sandwiches were good, but the flavours and ingredients were not exceptional enough to justify the prices. Unfortunately, we feel that it excludes the local people to enjoy this kind of restaurant and contributes to the idea that veganism is unaffordable.
I ordered smoothie with açaí and other fruits. It was was good, but do not expect the real taste of açaí, as it is just prepared with a bit of açaí powder, not with the pulp as it should be.

Tammi555 25 Jan 2018 - Hi Carol,

We are sorry you were less than satisfied with your visit. To be able to provide the kind of food we felt was lacking in Yangon is was impossible to make it affordable for the economic strata of locals you are presumably referring to (we do have lots of Myanmar natives as customers). There are lots of cheap street food type places available to them and that is simply not our business model. The last thing we want to do is give the impression that veganism is unaffordable but we also want to provide an alternative to other locally available dishes for anyone wanting to eat vegan, and that means often using expensive products we bring in from abroad as there are still many things common in other parts of the world, unavailable to us in Myanmar. Some ingredients may not even be noticeable to you in a dish, or might seem commonplace to you but actually we are having to go to great trouble to procure them.

Regarding taste, we are always looking to improve our recipes but we are trying to be as healthy as possible and most people's idea of great taste comes from an excess of fat, sugar and salt. Attempting to make these as minimal as possible while retaining flavour, is a constant battle but your comment is noted.

We are not able to procure the frozen Acai berry, which has only just recently made its way to a city as big as Bangkok. Until that is available to us we are only able to use the powdered form, which still gives the nutritional benefits. Acai is not actually a very popular flavour in itself and even when buying Acai bowls and smoothies elsewhere, where the frozen puree is used, it is always mixed with other fruits to give better flavour.

Perfect Vegan Escape - Edit

This place is actually totally vegan! Lots of delicious options - over two days (yes we went back) we tried the iced chai, the Pina colada smoothie (SO GOOD), the tofu shwarma, green tea leaf salad, vegan burger, roasted veggie salad and the black bean glo bowl! We also tried the peanut butter bar, banana oatmeal cup, banana muffin and kombucha! My FAVORITES were the pina colada smoothie, peanut butter bar, black bean bowl and kombucha! All very fresh and delicious ingredients :) amazing service too and is attached to a yoga studio!

The green tea leaf salad we were excited for but ended up not really enjoying it due to lack of flavor, we also wished the shwarma had come with some kind of sauce because it was missing a flavorful kick too. Other than that we loved the place and would definitely recommend it!

Free WiFi and water, good music and clean modern vibes :)

Pros: Fresh ingredients , Completely vegan , Lots of options

Cons: Some dishes were lacking flavor

Tammi555 21 Dec 2017 - Thank you for your lovely review. We're always working to improve recipes and have already changed the recipe for the shwarma to add more flavour. We will revisit the Tea Leaf Salad too.
We do use honey in 3 of our recipes (granola, energy bar and Asian noodles, and sell a local yogurt in the cafe shop, so that's why we can't list as 100% vegan.
Thanks again!

TASTY! - Edit

I can't get enough of the food at Nourish! It is fresh, healthy and tasty! I eat there very often and I enjoyed most of the dishes, from the killer burger to all the pita bread sandwiches and salads. My personal favorite at the moment being the vegan shawarma in pita bread and the roasted vegie salad. The coffee smoothie is a great way to start the day, together with the brunch on the weekend. Really life changing for Yangonites - finally somewhere that serves healthy food, and at a reasonable price point. Great spot to hang out during the day and get some work done with the decent wifi. Staff extremely friendly and capable most of the time.

Pros: Tasty, healthy, Food that can't be found anywhere else in Yangon

Cons: closed on friday/sat night

Tammi555 21 Dec 2017 - Thanks so much for your great review!
"Staff extremely friendly and capable most of the time" made me laugh!
Compared to many other places, we do feel very lucky to have such great staff and they are improving all the time but thank you for your patience and understanding when needed!

vegan heaven - Edit

Traveling as a vegan in Myanmar can be difficult. Actually, it's hella difficult. So this place was HEAVEN for me. It's a yoga studio and a vegan restaurant, with kind people and amazing healthy food. Go here now.

Pros: a full vegan menu, great prices, yoga classes & apparel available

Tammi555 25 Jan 2018 - Thank you so much for your great review! It's very appreciated. Hope you enjoyed the rest of your travels :-)

Exceptionally tasty, western veggie menu - Edit

Nice layout. The food is really delicious, with excellent quality ingredients and very filling portions. Friendly welcome by local and international team. It's not easy to find. You need to go about 150 meters down a very small alley, which is diagonally across the street from the Park Royal Hotel.

Pros: great quality, interesting menu

Cons: a bit expensive, but still good value

Tammi555 25 Jan 2018 - Thank you very much for your review, much appreciated :-)

Please be Critical Consumers - Edit

This seems to be the only place in Yangon where you can get western vegan food (e.g. veg burger), so if that's what you're after, this is the place. The food however, is average, the portions are small, and most dishes are in the 8-10$ range. If you get a drink or anything more than just a main, you'll be spending about 15$. While travelling, we try to be supportive of locals bringing accessible (which includes being affordable by the standards of average wage in the area) vegan food to the local scene, and a white man bringing overpriced western vegan food catered towards tourists doesn't sit so well with us. Please remember that in Myanmar you are really in a heaven for Indian and Nepalese food which is often vegan. In Yangon, there are even a few strictly vegetarian Indian/Nepalese restaurants here where most items are vegan. These restaurants are much cheaper and much more authentic for your Burmese experience.

Tammi555 20 Sep 2017 - We're very sorry you were not 100% happy with your visit to Nourish.

Our "average" food is thankfully loved by many but we are continuously trying to improve recipes.

The most expensive item on our menu is actually $7.40, most coming in at under $6.

However, we have never claimed to be providing cheap local cuisine. We provide healthy international food for locals (who deserve to have more vegan choices than Asian only) and foreigners (those living here and those travelling through). To do this we need to use certain ingredients which are more expensive than the ingredients found in local cuisine. However, we try to source as much as possible from Myanmar, to support the local economy, we also pay our taxes and employ, train and support local staff. Our margins are actually less than a local restaurant so your term "overpriced" is obviously relative.

Economies grow because of small to medium business enterprises, whoever they cater for.

The vegan movement grows because of an increasing availability of various vegan foods, giving all consumers more choice.

We're not sure how Indian and Nepalese restaurants give you a "much more authentic Burmese experience" than any other style of food on offer in the city but we fully support all the other vegan options in Yangon and encourage visiting vegans to try them all. Please remember to be sure to try actual Burmese vegan food too!

Lastly, we strongly oppose your racist and sexist terminology. Nourish is owned by 4 people and we are not all white and not all men!

Salimos encantadas y con barriguita llena. - Edit

Muy agradable este local, la carta muy interesante. Me pareció caro para precios de Myanmar la verdad, otra cosa que no aprecie es que los Bowls ya están preparados y no sabes de cuánto tiempo, mis hojas verdes estaban mustias y el brillo se pierde. El wrap ídem, ya están preparados a mi me gusta se haga al momento. Mi hija pidió la hamburguesa y si la hicieron al instante.
Los postres diferentes versiones customizadas de una tarta de zanahorias por ejemplo.
Agradable para pasar buen rato y amortizar el gasto.
Solo vegetariano y vegano.

Pros: Local acogedor, carta

Cons: precio, tienen Bowl y wrap ya preparados no sabes de cuand, Caro

Tammi555 25 Jan 2018 - I'm sorry I don't know your language but thank you very much for your 5 star rating and presumably kind words!

Delicious and nourishing vegan food! - Edit

Nourish Cafe offers a variety of delicious vegan food, including a selection of creative options that cannot be found anywhere else in Yangon.

My favorite is the Naked Burger, which includes their famously yummy veggie burger atop a bed of fresh salad. I also LOVE all of the Smoothie Bowls. The raw cacao version is a chocolate-lover's paradise, made with homemade coconut cashew milk, frozen bananas, raw cacao, a heaping handful of homemade chocolate granola, and fruit/nut toppings. I hear that they will also soon be expanding their menu to include yummy vegan baked goods! I can't wait to see what they create next.

Each of their menu items are perfect treats to compliment their wide selection of great quality yoga classes. I always feel satisfied leaving this wonderful community ambiance knowing that I've just nourished my body as well as the planet by making these scrumptious and sustainable food choices.

Pros: Delicious vegan food, Great yoga classes, Wonderful community atmosphere

Tammi555 25 Jan 2018 - Thank you Lacey, great review! And coming from someone we know reviews many vegan places, it means a lot. Hope you are enjoying life since leaving Myanmar!

Lovely atmosphere, and great vegan food - Edit

Nourish became a bit of a haunt for me whilst in Yangon. The food is amazing, especially the breakfasts and the burger, and it's a lovely place to sit and relax. The staff were lovely, and their iced lattes were a lifesaver on humid Yangon days! Well worth a visit.

Tammi555 25 Jan 2018 - Thank you for your kind review, it's much appreciated :-)

so happy to find healthy food in Yangon - Edit

The second day after I arrived in Yangon I went to Nourish, which was def the right choice. The food here is healthy, clean and delicious, and the cafe itself has a nice ambience. I've experienced how greasy and salty Burmese food is being able to eat healthy food here is a huge relief. I love the burger, the sourdough, acai smoothie and chocolate chia pudding!

Pros: food , atmosphere

Tammi555 25 Jan 2018 - Thank you for your lovely review, we're glad you enjoyed your time with us and noted the lack of oil and salt (which is often actually MSG) compared to other places in Myanmar.

Indeed an Oasis - Edit

Wonderful relaxing refuge from bustling Yangon.
Best vegan burger in town and I dare say I have ever had. Other items on the menu are equally delicious offering interesting flavours and the desserts are not too me missed.
The Yoga studio next to it has fantastic classes ranging from relaxing yin to spicy 2h vinyasa fun.
Overall a gift to this city.

Pros: Nice music, Yoga, Informal

Tammi555 25 Jan 2018 - Thank you for your lovely review, much appreciated :-)

Vegan oasis - Edit

Cozy, relaxing, and peaceful interior decor. The food is absolutely amazing and is the first Western style Vegan cafe in Yangon. All their menu items are vegan except for two desserts, one contains honey and the other is yogurt.

The handmade vegan Burger patty was delicious. Mix of beans and various seeds it wasn't dry at all. loved the seasoning used in the patty. highly recommended for fellow vegans in Yangon.

Pros: lots of vegan options for main dishes and desserts

Tammi555 25 Jan 2018 - Thank you for your kind review, we hope you are still enjoying the cafe, as I assume you are a Yangon resident rather than travelling through :-)

Oasis in the heart of Yangon - Edit

I couldn't be any happier about this find! I went for the first time on their opening day and have since returned almost daily. It's a true oasis for vegans, vegetarians and everyone who loves healthy fresh food. I'm crazy about their wrap (omg, the home-made vegan pesto!), the burger and all the dips, not to mention the breakfast bowls and the chia cacao pods -this place is turning me into a total glutton ;-) ! Heavenly, certainly can't get any of those things anywhere else in town! Also am a big fan of the space itself which feels like a breath of fresh air in the loud crazy Yangon environment. It's calm, cosy, super green (literally, there's plants everywhere) and the staff is pure gold. I also like that the Cafe is attached to a yoga studio which ads to the nice vibe. It's also a great oasis to just read or work for a while, while sampling some food and sipping a soy latte (to my knowledge the only place.in town that serves up a non dairy latte!) The chef is vegan herself and super knowledgeable on all matters vegan, and how to be a vegan athlete. I personally can't recommend this place enough, and can't wait to try all of their menu!

Pros: Delicious healthy food , Super nice relaxed vibe , Friendly and knowledgeable staff

Tammi555 25 Jan 2018 - Thank you so much for your wonderful review, we're so happy to have people like you around to appreciate what we are doing :-)

Return to Yangon Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Nourish Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.