Nexus Art Cafe

Contact 0161-2360100

Dale Street, Northern Quarter (at opposite Vinyl Exchange, near Oldham St.), Manchester, England, M1 1JW

Serves meat, vegan options available. Eclectic artsy cafe that's a not-for-profit community arts space, linked to the Methodist Church. Serves some vegetarian and vegan food options. Located in the heart of Manchester's Northern Quarter. Open Mon-Sat 10:00am-7:00pm, Sun 12:00pm-6:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, English, Non-veg

First Review by Stevie

Does the job - Edit

I love that there is a room here for Salford Zine Library which is why I go as often as I do.

The only vegan choices are the Falafel Sandwich, Jacket potato with beans and sometimes the soup is vegan. *sometimes* they have vegan cake but it's not that inspiring.

Staff and customer service are hit and miss. Some members of staff are very grumpy and I have had them object to my asking if things are vegan. It's a good place to take a group of people with various dietary needs, best thing about it is variety of seating and the general relaxed atmosphere despite the staff attitute being hit and miss. Hard to explain it, but it's a very unique looking place and very cosy which is a big factor in why it's popular.

Pros: Salford Zine Library!, Great range of vegan syrup flavours for coffee, better food close by in other establishments haha

Cons: Menu hasn't changed in years, Staff can be really grumpy, Not enough vegan options

Individual but... - Edit

They have at least 3 vegan options. The chickpea masala on jacket potato which I enjoyed not spicy but full of flavour. So was the vegan sandwich I had, was lovely probably the best vegan sandwich I had. The only thing about this place is that whenever I go they don't always have vegan cakes so it's a disappointment that they don't always cater for vegans. I've had the flapjack but thought it was a rip off and and it was really mushy. I would still go back and I do that's why I have it 4 stars I would still recommend trying it as it's such a unique place

Pros: staff are really friendly, food is delicious , very unique place

Cons: doesn't always have vegan cakes , the vegan options are all full of fat

Cute cafe, cheap but limited vegan options - Edit

a baragin cup of reallunice tea or coffee compared to starbucks, costa etc and far more ethical. not just a cafe, they also have art exhibitions, life drawing, acoustic sessions, film nights etc. i really really liked this cafe while i was vegetarian but now as a vegan the options are far more limited although you can get flapjacks, the soup (sometimes) and jacket potato, beans on toast etc. nice for a coffee and a sit down, not the best for food

Pros: cute and quirky, more than a cafe, cheap drinks, comfy seats and good music

Cons: not a lot of vegan food options, has started getting crowded

Nexus- Rubbish for vegans and unfriendly-sorry! - Edit

I've been dragged to this cafe 3 times now, and while I agree it has some comfy seats, it's appalling for vegans. I don't really understand why others recommend it for vegans. There are lots and lots of places that offer better choice for vegans (ie more than a soggy houmous baguette).
In addition, most other eating places in Manchester have more welcoming and friendly service. When you ask what they have suitable for vegans, be prepared for a sullen, curt response from the woman who seems to run the cafe. This place trades on it's quirky image. A shame really. Come on, perk your ideas up. How hard is it to offer a vegan cake?

Pros: Comfy seats, Venue for bands

Cons: Crap for vegans, Vegan food poor quality, Unfriendly/rude service

Hidden gem - Edit

Really like their ethos and committment/stamina for keeping the space busy and positive over many years. Good place to meet for vegan coffee/cake/food in the city centre. Not the most adventurous menu, but tasty filling food. They also sell handmade cards and always have fliers for arty/"off the radar" events. Never popped in on a Saturday night (drug/alcohol free space until 6am) but may do so just out of curiosity!

Pros: Positive ethos, Inexpensive, Unsual space/decor

Cons: Menu low on vegan/veg options, Hard to find

Nice hangout - Edit

This is an offbeat place in the Northern Quarter. Very nice atmosphere. I think it's Christian, but you wouldn't know it. I happen to be sympathetic to that anyway. OK selection for veggies. Not so great for vegans but they do tend to have soya milk.

Pros: Nice atmosphere

Cons: Not veg

Chill out with a chilli - Edit

I really liked this place. As mentioned by previous reviewers there are lots of comfortable seating options and it is a very relaxed atmosphere. It is really welcoming and the ver changing selection of art and the non smoking outdoor area add to the attractiveness of the cafe. The food is very well made, well presented and delicious.

Pros: non smoking outdoor garden area, arty atmosphere, home cooked food

More veggie friendly than vegan - Edit

Nexus is a great and interesting little space. It's very relaxed, with bean bags and comfy chairs. As an arts venue, there's always something interesting on, that goes well beyond the usual cafe approach of just hanging art on the walls. They have a lovely selection of teas, and soya milk for coffees. but the food options for vegans are quite poor: a hummus bagel is my usual choice.
Go here for a snack and to enjoy a fantastic environment, but not for great vegan food.

Pros: Great space and atmosphere., tea-pig teas., friendly staff.

Cons: Poor vegan selection.

Nexus Art Cafe, Manchester - Edit

I've just been to this place and it has me thinking a little.

When I seen the menu I wasn't bursting with enthusiasm. I asked what would be good for me as a vegan vego. I was directed to the falafal sandwich otherwise it would be the likes of a baked potato or a salad. The menu is largely targeted at omnivores but maybe just under half the menu is vego friendly. Most of the the vego stuff is aimed at lacto / ovo veggies.

I had the afore menttioned falafel sandwich and a soya latte to drink. Both were perfectly acceptable. While this eatery wouldn't be my first choice especially with so many 100% vegetarian places in central Manchester (Earth cafe for example is just a few monutes walk away), it does offer an interesting option as a compromise venue if you are eating with someone who insists on eating meat.

There is much more to this place than just a cafe. They have gigs, plays, art and interestingly is the Saturday night 2 am cafe. This is bascially when it opens at 2 am to give revelers somewhere to go and chill until 6 am if waiting on the trains services to out of town start again in the morning.

Pros: Some vegan veggie stuff avaialble, Interest9ing non cafe activities

Cons: Not 100% vego

Return to Manchester Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Nexus Art Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2656 times since Apr 2010.