Morpho Cafe

Contact 075-4325017

309 Saikachicho (at Kamigyo Ward), Kyoto, Japan,

Vegan restaurant on Horikawa-dori at the corner of Kamichojyamachi and on the west side of the Horikawa river canal. Offers a large selection of mains, as well as some cakes and desserts, drinks, and set meals. Closes 2nd and 4th Wednesday of month. Open Mon 11:30am-3:00pm, Mon 5:00pm-9:00pm, Wed 11:30am-3:00pm, Wed 5:00pm-9:00pm, Thu 11:30am-3:00pm, Thu 5:00pm-9:00pm, Fri 11:30am-3:00pm, Fri 5:00pm-9:00pm, Sat-Sun 11:30am-9:00pm. Opening hours are guidelines only - call ahead to confirm

Category: Vegan, Japanese, Raw, Western

First Review by Jessqi

Excellent burger and friendly staff - Edit

I came here to have some lunch as my hotel is nearby and I tried the vegan fish burger and it was fab! All the flavors and the presentations was great.
I tried the strowberry tart also that was ok but not great.
I will come back at dinner to try the ramen that they only do dinner time.

Pros: Excellent food, Quality for money

So Good - Edit

After hearing great things about Morpho and wanting to go for a long time, we finally made it! We tried the veggie burger, fish burger, and potato/cheese pizza, as well as an extra side salad. I was really impressed that it achieved a bit of a "junk food" vegan feel without being too oily or salty - actually everything was really fresh and flavourful. We left feeling great! I'd love to go back to try more of the menu; definitely recommend.

Pros: Great food, Lovely atmosphere, Friendly owner

Cons: The salad was mostly just cabbage

just heavenly! - Edit

The food here is wonderful. The staff are also very friendly, and great at recommending dishes if you're not sure what to have. In our group, we tried varieties of noodle dishes and dinner sets, and all of us were happy with our choices. The chocolate cake is out of this world!

great - Edit

Very cosy and soft atmosphere, i ate a noodle soup which was one of the best meals I've had. Great food, the staff had good English and good service! Absolutely a place whorty a visit while in Kyoto!

Friendly Staff Delicious Food - Edit

First of all the waiter was super friendly and helpful, one of the most friendliest we met in all of Kyoto. We tried the ramen and fish burger, the ramen was creamy, reminiscent of thai style, while the fish burger was amazingly delicious. I would recommend this place to anyone, they had a great variety of food too.

Pros: Friendly, Variety, Tasty

Excellent and Varied - Edit

It's not very often that a restaurant with such a varying menu (fish burgers to ramen to ice cream parfaits) is so consistently tasty- but this one is.

They also have some yummy take away cookies and such!

Definitely in my top 5 restaurants in Japan.

Pros: Lots of items, Large portions, Affordable

Amazingly nice food at affordable prices - Edit

This is another exceptional restaurant that we have visited on our kyoto trip. It's easy to travel by bus after a visit from nijo castle. Just a few bus stops away. Their food is purely vegan and their vegan pizza is AMAZING. Vegans must definitely make a trip down because its def worth that little detour!

Pros: Excellent food quality, Reasonable prices

Cons: Location is not very ideal

It's got to be my favourite cafe - Edit

Make a trip here because it's worth it. I knew it was going to be good, seeing the posts on instagrams by my fellow vegans in Japan. We wanted to try 4 dishes but could only fit in three between us. We had the cutlet dish, the vegan dish, and the burger. Each were a delight to eat and were affordable. The cafe is cosy, the staff is friendly, and their parfait is delicious and cute too. Go go go!

Pros: Delicious, Affordable, Cosy

A big pleasure to find this restaurant! - Edit

On our trip to Japan we stayed 4 days in Kyoto, where the Morpho Café is a real vegan Highlight!
We tried a mixed macrobiotic plate which offered a great variety of Japanese tastes. The Ramen soup was incredibly tasty and also unusually filling for Japanese habit.
I liked the relaxing atmosphere combined with a generous menu; not this one Burger and one Curry-Stuff, that is quite common in vegan catering. And last but not least, it's not expensive at all!!!

Pros: vegan, everything tasted great, affordable

Love this place! - Edit

Best vegan pizza ever had! Total vegan restaurant, so everything on the menu is vegan and tasts delicious! Even the chocolatcake. If I had more time I would eaten there every day! The restaurant looks nice and tight, good decoration, very cosy.

Pros: Only vegan options, Herbal tea, Desert

Cons: They close in the afternoon

Favourite meal in Kyoto - Edit

Amazing fish burger, boyfriend got the soy meat burger which he also enjoyed but we both agreed the fish burger was better.
We also split the eggplant and soy meat pizza anticipating small portions, and afterwards we were stuffed. The pizza was incredible.
Chocolate cake and chocolate parfait for dessert topped off this great dinner!
Service was good too :)

Return to Kyoto Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Morpho Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.