CLOSED: Mele's Vegie Hut

Contact 02-23894037

1F, 84, Nijiang Street, Wanhua District, Taipei, Taiwan, 10845

Veggie restaurant close to Ximen station. Offers a small menu in English with some photos but very limited English spoken. Reported that cheese is used in some dishes, and faux meat might contain dairy - ask. Free Wi-Fi. Reported closed Oct 2015. Mon-Sun 10:30am-2:30pm, Mon-Sun 5:00pm-8:30pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Chinese, Take-out, Taiwanese

First Review by bluesomeone

Contributions +23

Great food, friendly staff, very clean, YUM! - Edit

My girlfriend and I just got back from this place and are pleasantly full!
First of all, the place is very clean and professional with a chilled out and casual atmosphere. The staff and even the guests were very friendly to us as soon as we walked in. The waiter quickly gave us an English menu followed by a menu with pictures on it. Everything looked delicious and everything we reasonably priced. A great selection of mushrooms and other seasonal vegetables. I recommend to any vegetarian in the area, a very pleasant experience.

Not for vegans! - Edit

I went in between lunch and dinner, and so fortunately had an excuse to leave without ordering as I didn't want to wait half an hour for the chef to arrive. I asked what was vegan (for another visit) and they said that they didn't use any dairy products, and that virtually everything could be made vegan. But as Bluesomeone has rightly pointed out many of their products contain fake meat, which is almost certainly going to contain dairy (and possibly more). And they first claimed to be a vegan restaurant on Happycow!?! So I'm not sure how honest they are being, or perhaps they just haven't made the effort to actually understand veganism? In any case with no English menu, no vegan labels on the menu and staff speaking very limited English this place just isn't worth bothering with, at least if you don't speak Chinese, but I think even if you do.

It's a pity because I really hoped it would be an option since Veggie Joy closed their Ximen shop.

Cons: Not very clear (honest?) re what's vegan

Return to Taipei Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Mele's Vegie Hut closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1221 times since Sep 2013.