Makro Vega

Lestina 4, Split, Croatia,

Vegetarian restaurant operating since the 2000s. Offers daily changing menu with both vegetarian and vegan food, such as tofu pancerota, tempeh sandwich, grilled seitan, cakes, coffee, tea, and juices. Situated in a quiet location in old town, take 1st right turn from Krizeva. The owners also operate Upcafe. Open Mon-Fri 9:00am-9:00pm, Sat 9:00am-5:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Mediterranean, Juice bar, Take-out, European, Croatian

First Review by Miru

Vegan haven - Edit

I came here for lunch and I wasn't disappointed. Very friendly staff who speak English. Lunch is a set menu affair with a choice of vegan or vegetarian. I had the vegan menu and it was lovely. It's home cooking and simple but very tasty and healthy. I topped my lunch off with a vegan choccy cake that was delicious and massive. It's close to the old town and there are signs which are a great help as Google maps failed!

Pros: Hearty vegan food, friendly staff and centrally located , Vegan cake!

Cons: A little simple

a vegan dream - Edit

After days of empty stomachs and chips filled dinners we were delighted to finally walk upon a place that would serve us a decent vegan meal. The owner - who is vegan herself was really lovely and we had plenty of options. It's a bit hard to find but worth the struggle

Same good quality 2 years later - Edit

I visited Makrovega in 2015 and absolutely loved the place, the food and the staff. Now, 2 years later, having the opportunity of visiting Split again, I was greeted with the same good food, by the friendly staff and their cute fluffy cat (which put on some weight in the meantime :D) The vegan daily menu was plentiful: vegetable and bean soup and the main course consisted of grilled seitan, baked mushrooms, polenta with soy yogurt, steamed cabbage and other greens, tofunaise and ketchup sauce and a small salad on the side. The barley coffee with soy milk was also great.

Pros: Very large portions for the daily vegan menu, fair

Cons: Seemed too crowded on Saturdays (which is a sign t

Lots of Plant Based Vegan Options at Good Prices - Edit

My husband and I came here for a quick lunch. We had pizza, a wrap with curry tofu, and apple strudel. The food was served chilled, but it was still good. The pizza was interesting because it had shredded carrots that looked like cheese and finely shredded tofu that looked like cheese.

We really enjoyed the food because it was packed with veggies and fruit, and no to little oil. We felt great after eating. The owner is very nice and helpful too.

Pros: good price, plant based, no oil, healthy food

Nice little place - Edit

I went here for lunch and there were a few vegan options, we (my partner and I) went for a slice of pizza (tasty, stacked with toppings) and a mushroom salad baguette. Unfortunately, the person at the counter gave us a cheese (dairy) one instead, which in our hunger we only noticed half way through the sandwich!! The owner arrived soon after and was apologetic for the mistake her colleague had made (she had also told us a vast cheesecake was vegan - it wasn't!!). Would have enjoyed the meal a lot more without this mixup....

Pros: Decent options, Suny courtyard, Secluded and quiet

Cons: Gave wrong information on ingredients :(, Limited drinks options, no fresh juices

perfect!!!!!if youre visiting split you have to eat there! - Edit

יש צמחוני (גבינה) ויש טבעוני. טעים ומומלץ.

Pros: לא יקר

Great food, good value - Edit

Nice looking restaurant with a good selection of veggie and vegan food. The offer a good value daily menue for only KN 70. Staff was shy but friendly. Food tasted delicious. Good option for when you are in Split an tired of eating veggie pizza's.

Pros: Good selection of veggie/vegan options. Good value

Cons: Use google maps to find the place.

Disappointing experience - Edit

Having read the reviews on here and trip advisor we were excited to finally have a little more choice than a bowl of pasta or a cheese less pizza midway through our trip through Croatia; however our excitement was unfounded. We both chose the vegan daily special, the restaurant posts daily specials, and for just 70 kuna you can dine on soup, special main, tempura side and a salad (£9 per person)

Our 'daily special' menu consisted of a vegetable & chickpea soup which sadly was tasteless and tepid. spaghetti with tomato sauce - this was the most flavoursome of all the dishes however it was only lukewarm; a side of greasy and floppy tempura veg, overcooked boiled cabbage and carrots and a stone cold piece of tofu lasagne. The side salad was tasty and well dressed.

Really disappointing, needless to say we won't rush back

Pros: lots of veggie and vegan choices, Attractive restaurant, food serve quickly

Cons: food was cold, veg was overcooked, Soup was tepid and tasteless

my favorite restaurant in my hometown - Edit

Best vegan food in my hometown and beyond :) I ate there so many times during the years or ordered food from there, even ordered a cake for my wedding there and took recipes from their web page for the wedding (which took place outside of Split, otherwise I'd have them do the catering!) Perfect, yummy food, huge portions, inexpensive, great cakes, everything is great!

Updated from previous review on 2016-08-13

Pros: delicious food, portion size, inexpensive

Cons: vegetarian options :/

yum - Edit

Had a lovely meal. Came to under 200 kuna with drinks and desert. Was fully stuffed. Felt slightly alienated outside, could have been more tables and a someone serving.

Nom nom! Delicious food and friendly staff. - Edit

Absolutely loved Makro Vega. The food is delicious, especially the daily menu (which is vegetarian but can always be made vegan), the seitan burritos, and the vegan desserts! It's a god-send in Split, where the only other vegan/veggie place is near the bus station and is fast food style.

The staff is also super friendly and warm...not typical for Split. Fantastic place.

Pros: Vegan Dessert, Daily Menu, Cheap Options

Vegan heaven - Edit

This is definitely a must if you visit Split. I ate here dozens of times and it's likely one of my favorite vegan restaurants ever.

They offer a daily plate which includes a salad, a soup and an usual great main dish. Might not be the most tasty for everyone (as you see on the reviews) so you could ask for some salt if you like.

Desserts are great and the wraps they sell are also an good option to take away if you don't have time to eat at the place or need something for the dinner.

If you're on a budget, definitely try the wraps and other stuff in the counter, for the 2nd year in a row I come here, have lunch then take some of those for dinner.

Updated from previous review on 2015-11-21

Alright - Edit

Food was okay. Definitely has potential. My boyfriend & I shared the daily meal the kebab. I can agree with the reviews that say the food is a a bit bland, but ask for extra sauce and use the salt and pepper. Can turn out decent. Service was really friendly however, good review there. I won't be coming back, but for a very non-vegan friendly city this place will fly. Comment on that,, make sure to request food to be made vegan. Most dishes come with a milk product by default.

My personal suggestion is too cook for yourself and bring your own food while in Spilt. Veg food is hard to come by and isn't cheap.

Pros: Good service, free h2o

Cons: CASH ONLY , not flavorful

Pretty Average - Edit

There's definitely nothing bad about this place, I didn't taste anything I didn't like, a lot of it was just pretty bland. My girlfriend (not a veggie) had the pizza and she really enjoyed it! I started off with the daily tempura, which was courgette, which was okay, nothing special, but pretty much what you expect from tempura. I went for the kebabs for my main which had tofu, seitan, red pepper, courgette and mushroom. I assumed that the kebabs would be grilled sort of like on a BBQ but it turned out that these were also battered and deep fried. I had no issue with it, but it was difficult to eat so much deep fried stuff by the end and would have preferred something else for my main after the deep fried starter. Kebabs were meant to be served with brown rice but they had ran out, so I was served millet and pumpkin with sesame seeds which was genuinely one of the tastiest things I've eaten since going vegan. My girlfriend didn't love the texture of it but I thought it was absolutely delicious! Brilliant vegan coconut cake to finish meant I left on a very happy note too! I had a guarana cola to drink which was really tasty. We were served by one of the chefs who was helpful and very friendly too!

Pros: Veggie/vegan restaurants are hard to come by in Cr, Cheap, Lots of choice

Cons: Chefs need to season the food more, Rely very heavily on tofu and seitan

Awesome!!! - Edit

Amazing food and great prices... Services great. Recommend!!!

Very very tasty - Edit

We ate tonight in this restaurant. Every thinf was very tasty and cheep. It was served very quick. The menu was only 70 kn !
I have been a vegan for 10 years now and I can tell this place is really good value. It's also very clean and modern.
I would bring all my non vegan friends here no proplem. I wish i had more time to come back...

Pros: Tasty vegan food, Cheep, Good portions

Cons: Only 2 outdoor tables

Awesome food at great prices - Edit

Inexpensive for ala carte items (snack fast food type) like veg pie, 3-4 type burrito, pizza slice, calzone, desserts. Large servings. Very flavorful. Most of these are about US$2-4.
3 items shared between 2 people is adequate.

Full meal (soup, salad, entree, etc) is moderately priced but not as great value.

Pros: Value, Variety, Taste

Cons: Timings

great for lunch! - Edit

A nice little cafe/restaurant in the centre of Split. Lots of vegan options (including 2 desserts) and there is an option of vegan plate, a mixture of all their vegan options. The food was tasty - home made style and not expensive.
The staff were knowledgeable about gluten free, but there was not many options on the menu for gluten free.

Pros: good value for money, great vegan take away options (burgers, sandwiches

Cons: not many gluten free options

Return to Split Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Makro Vega closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.