First Review by Farm Girl

unimpressed - Edit

Really didn't enjoy the meal. Seems like they spent way more of their time and resources on creating a posh/fancy atmosphere than on the quality of the food. It was all very oily and the flavors were unimpressive.

Cons: oily food, overpriced

Very Vegan Friendly (for a Thai place) - Edit

They have a section of vegetarian mains and most of them can be made vegan. The waiter was very knowledgable about what they could do and explained that they had changed most of their recipes so they could modify the dishes to accommodate people with allergies and vegans. Sushi selection was good and rolled to order. I would definitely recommend the veg spring rolls and the yellow curry (the only curry that can be made vegan). I really enjoyed it. Tasted pretty authentic.

Pros: vegan options, location

Poor - Edit

The staff seemed grumpy and inattentive. The food was poor. The portion was tiny and way over priced. The vegan options were quite limited. Traveling through and hoping to fill my stomach with some good plant based food, leaving disappointed.

Pros: NA

Cons: Small Portions, Overpriced, Grumpy, Awkward Staff

Very Disappointing - Edit

I find the service at Mai Thai pretty terrible, and the food isn't much to speak of either. Even with a reservation, I've still had to wait up to an hour for a table.
Although there's a vegetarian menu, it isn't to be trusted. The curry contains fish sauce, which wasn't disclosed to us until we asked if it was vegan. The server said "It's not vegan because it contains fish sauce, but it's such a small amount that it doesn't really matter."
Seriously? Before you make a "vegetarian" menu, get your facts straight, Mai Thai!
I don't think I'll be eating there again unless I'm starving.

Pros: vegan options, great bar

Cons: expensive, bad service, incorrect menu

Over rated - Edit

The food is fine. Nothing too excited but it certainly isn't bad. They do a lot of "fusion" food, but seem to have missed the point. Usually fusion is done to somewhat bland dishes to add exotic spices. Starting with Thai and adding spices and textures seems backwards.

Cons: over-priced

You must try!! - Edit

I had to write a review after reading the previous reviews. This place both Eagle and Boise, I mostly the visit Boise location, are amazing!There are hundreds of dishes that can be made both vegan or vegetarian!! I dont expect that the staff at most restaurants know what I need and how to prepare it for me just because I tell them I am a "vegan" of "vegetarian". Many people say, "I am vegetarian, oh, but I eat fish". Servers often dont know how to distinguish, trained properly or not and I feel it is my responsibilty to inform them of what I can or can not eat. Just like an allergy. I let them know what I need and ask if this can be made accordingly. Enough of that!=)
I usually make reservations if going with more than 2 persons between the hours of 6pm and 8pm on most days. I found the staff to be very well trained given the size of the menu and found them to be even more helpfull. I asked my regular server a few questions and what he didnt know he asked. I do know that all the cooks are from Thailand and dont speak much english, so at one point my server even called for the owner to translate what I wanted, to the cooks! In short the service is amazing!! Five stars!
While there can be a wait for food during these busy hours and especially on Fri/Sat. I found that when going on "off days" before or at the end of "rush hour", that the food will come out too fast almost. Not enough time to enjoy what a great atmosphire Mai Thai really is. Great music, great vibe, decor and probably the most diverse people watching in the Capitol area!
In short, this place is a senses gold mine! And whilst Mai Thai is not strictly veg. and the menu is obviously not design to be, it is without question one of the tastiest veg. meals in town and my favorite place to eat in Boise!!!! Did I mention that after diner you walk outside and are located within walking distance of everything downtaoen has to offer?!

Pros: Diverse, Location, Best food in Boise!

Cons: Small, Need reservations

This is NOT our typical Thai Restaurant - Edit

First off, they have two locations. One is in Boise and the other is in Eagle. I have only been to the location in Eagle.

Second, reservations are highly recommended. If not, you maybe waiting a while. But at least they have a beautiful bar to wait at.

Now about the food...they offer vegetarian and vegan replacement meats like shrimp, beef tips and chicken. So if you are vegan, ask which replacement meats you can have. You must also request for them to leave out the shrimp paste & fish sauces as some dishes have these ingredients in them. Once you do that, you should get ready to wait. While you wait, look around because they have many artistic design touches throughout the restaurant. They have live music on some days (I forgot which ones) and a very modern full bar at the front of the restaurant. There is a large water basin separating the middle of the restaurant that glows different colors too. All in all, I enjoy each and every time I dine there. The service can be spotty (slow, ignoring your empty glass of water, etc.) but there are about 2 other options in Eagle but they don't nor does anyone else in the Boise or Eagle area offer imitation meats that I know of thus far.

Now back to the food...the taste will be muted when you minus the shrimp paste and fish sauce and per my friend that dines with me said. We got the same thing because he has never tried imitation meat before but he told them to leave the shrimp paste and fish sauce in. He mentioned that it tasted a tad bit bland compared to his but he said that I'm truly not missing a whole lot. So that made me happy. They presentation of the food is very well laid out. It's as if each entrée has its own designated plate design. Must be a pain for the dishwasher.

Pros: Offers replacement meats, a rarity!, Beautiful, somewhat romantic environment, Two locations in Down Town Boise & Eagle

Cons: Not all replacement meats are vegan, Occasional inattentive staff member, Reservations required during peak hours

Return to Boise Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Mai Thai Restaurant and Bar closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1370 times since Aug 2007.