L'Elephant Vert

• Veg-friendly

Serves meat, veg options available. A spinoff of the original L'Elephant restaurant next door. Offers a daily changing, prix fixe, three-course raw "vegan" menu for lunch at approx. 120,000 kip and dinner at 150,000 kip. Note (Feb 2015): The "vegan menu" contains items with honey / bee pollen, as the staff is currently unclear on the meaning of vegan. Please update HappyCow of changes.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Raw, Asian, Lao, Non-veg

First Review by sglcklch

5 star gourmet vegan set menu

Flip straight to the back pages of the menu to find the 4 different vegan set menus. They include a drink, soup, starter, main, dessert and herbal tea. Worth the price and lovely lovely staff. The soup and main from the B set were outstanding, and the dessert from the D set was delicious.

delicious french asian fusion

As part of our VegVoyages tour, we had lunch at their restaurant as well as having them cater our farewell dinner at a different location. The food was amazing. Creative, beautiful, delicious, raw, just a joy to eat. Based on what we were served, I would rank it a five, but I never saw a whole menu or their non-vegan items. Definitely a must if you are in Luang Prabang. There's too many dishes to mention, so just check out the photos. Their restaurant has a lovely décor and is very clean. The staff are attentive and friendly. Go!

Pros: delicious french asian fusion, lovely decor, nice staff

Cons: not all vegan

Posh nosh!

I felt a bit awkward in this posh little restaurant, the staff are almost too attentive, watching you eat! Got vegan set menu D, the food was all tasty and quite unique. If the chocolate is actually dairy free I'm really impressed!

Pros: Tasty, different, speedy service

Cons: Expensive, small portions not very filling

So-called vegan set menu is great, but NOT VEGAN

First off, L'Eléphant Vert is a lovely place and their wholesome "ethno-botanical" menu is a very welcome addition to the Luang Prabang dining landscape.

We very much enjoyed our three meals there and were thrilled by the flavors, colors, and textures. Clearly, the chefs know their way around the kitchen.

Unfortunately, the chefs apparently do not understand the meaning of "vegan." Their so-called "vegan" set menus are advertised as containing "no animal products," but during our February 2015 visit there were at least three items on these set menus that contained animal products (namely honey and bee pollen). We have written to the owners to advise them that the meaning of "vegan" (or "végétalien" in French) is "not consuming or using any animal products nor anything tested on animals" and thus a vegan diet is strictly comprised of plants and minerals. So, hopefully they will change the menu in the future, but we suggest other vegans keep raising this point to make sure they take notice.

On our three visits, we asked our waiters to have our dishes made without any honey or bee pollen, and they kindly agreed once they understood (which took a little work at first). The food was inventive and consistently delicious the use of organic and local produce is much appreciated.

Bottom line: L'Eléphant Vert does great food in a pleasant atmosphere, but vegans should not trust the "vegan" declarations on the menu and should take special care to make sure there is no honey or bee pollen in the food you order. Based on experience we would recommend speaking to one of the senior wait staff, as not everyone here understands English (or French) well enough for this purpose.

Free WiFi (expires after one hour).

Pros: Delicious menus that can be made vegan

Cons: Some animal items mislabeled "vegan"

Amazing Vegan Lunch

We choose the Vegan set menu. Everything was amazing, the friendly service, the tasteful interior and the food oh the food! Fresh interesting combinations, beautifully presented and an explosion of flavors! Go there.

A Real Treat

While travelling with Veg Voyages, we ended up here for a noon meal. Veg Voyages, by the way, is an amazing company and if you like to travel and eat, this company is the one you need to check out.
The restaurant is clean and bright, the service is excellent and the food is great with very high marks for presentation. All the dishes served us were excellent.
Even the dessert, chocolate with coco beans and fruit slice were over the top for flavour. A fine eating experience.

Pros: Food presentation, Interesting flavours, Attentive service

A vegan gem in Luang Prabang

I went to Elephant Vert 3 times when I visited Luang Prabang. The vegan set menu is superb! It's gourmet and mostly raw. It really is a special experience you shouldn't miss. I had delicacies such as vegetable noodles in fresh coconut milk, Lao mushroom and baby aubergine laab, beautiful exotic flowers with tomato sambal, a lime and tamarind elixir, and a divine cashew cream dessert. It was all excellent: raw vegan food as good as the raw vegan restaurants I've been to in Europe, and using local ingredients and Lao flavours. The combinations of dishes very carefully thought-out, the flavours are perfectly balanced and the presentation is immaculate.

At 120,000 kip (lunch time price) it's more expensive than other local places, but totally worth it, and a third of what you'd pay for the same experience in a rich country. You get 4 (light) dishes and 2 drinks. It changes everyday.

If you're doubtful about raw vegan food, this place will convince you of how good it is. It's also the perfect way to eat to give you energy and keep you cool in the hot weather.

The atmosphere is elegant, air-conditioned, and peaceful, with a lovely view of Vat Nong.

They do use bee pollen sometimes, so ask if you want to avoid that.

Pros: Gourmet raw vegan creations, Amazing variety, Lao flavours, fresh local ingredients

Cons: Shares premises with non-veg restaurant

Wow!

I have to admit that I was skeptical when I first looked at the menu. It seemed uninteresting and too simple for the hefty price tag (at least by Lao standards). I just didn't think there could be quality raw vegan food in Laos. Man was I ever so wrong!

Food was absolutely fantastic. I was presented with an amouse-bouche to begin with - two savory crackers and a spiced drink, whose quality kept my hopes high for the rest of the meal. First course was a very refreshing and tasty larb made with chopped veggies and herbs. Then came the main - zucchini noodles in coconut milk broth. It was bursting with flavors, a truly delicious dish. Dessert was a fruit compote in a thick vanilla-y sauce, which rounded off the evening nicely.

Setting was beautiful as well. It was located in the corner of a French-style colonial building. Decor was lovely and made for a romantic, intimate ambiance. Service was attentive, staff looked professional and spiffy. Undoubtedly this was our most expensive meal in Laos, but it was well worth every cent.

Pros: excellent food, setting

Return to Luang Prabang Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has L'Elephant Vert closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1899 times since Dec 2012.