Le Verdure

• Vegetarian
Contact 212-229-2560

200 5th Ave (at Madison Square Park, Manhattan), New York City, New York, USA, 10010

Lacto-vegetarian Italian restaurant located in the produce section of the megastore Eataly. Makes ovo-lacto veggie food with 1 or 2 vegan ones. Vegans should specify as parmesan cheese (possibly with rennet, check) is used. Table and bar seating.

Category: Lacto, Ovo, Italian, Take-out

First Review by Bob Sultan

Not vegetarian, and rude staff - Edit

This place is not vegetarian. Most of the dishes contain Parmesan cheese, with only two dishes suitable for vegans and vegetarians. When questioned, staff did not seen bothered at all. When I told them that Parmesan cheese was not vegetarian, they said "yes, we know".

This place was incredibly busy, and this is reflected in the attitude of the staff in that they did not care that we would look elsewhere.

Pros: Location, Two vegetarian options seemed okay

Cons: Not vegetarian, Rude staff, Overcrowded

ONE STAR- NOT A VEGETARIAN RESTAURANT - Edit

I tried to eat here last night but as it turns out it is not a vegetarian restaurant but a vegetarian inspired. My words not theirs. The cheeses contain ANIMAL RENNET.

The waiter at the bar was exceptionally rude and put off when I asked about the cheese (as in how dare you question our vegetarianism) and had to slink back relay the truth.

This is what has happened in other restaurants I have found on happy cow before. I have an alpha-galactose allergy. This means I am severely allergic to a sugar found in mammal fat (as in anaphylaxis allergic). It frustrates me when the restaurant says they are vegetarian, have products with animal ingredients and get irritated when I inquire.

I left and went elsewhere since I do not have patience for restaurants declaring they are something they are not and my only real option was grilled bitter greens and that sounds pretty gross. It states in the description that dishes can be made vegan upon request. That was not my experience.

Cons: Not vegetarian, crowded, rude staff

Bring a Date - Edit

This is a really lively place. It's one veg eatery among a large number of Non-veg Italian eateries. It's a very New York kind of place. Selection of dishes is not huge but everything looks great. I had the polenta and mushrooms. Really nice variety of mushrooms, polenta just right, tasty light sauce. Really enjoyed the meal. Service great; nice atmosphere. Entrees around $18, so I might rate this $$$ rather than $$. But I think a good value.

Pros: gourmet food, lively manhattan ambiance, friendly service

Cons: slightly above my usual budget

Return to New York City Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Le Verdure closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 2583 times since Feb 2013.