CLOSED: Lady Marmalade

Contact 250-381-2872

608 Johnson St, Victoria, British Columbia, Canada, V8W 1M4

Serves meat, vegan options available. Casual, funky hipster atmosphere with art on the walls. Varied menu of all-day breakfast and lunch. Kitchen will make something vegan where possible upon request. MAR 2015 REPORTED THIS OUTLET SHUT.

Category: Lacto, Ovo, American, International, Beer/Wine, Fusion, Canadian, Non-veg

First Review by OlyVeg

Good lunch, funky atmosphere - Edit

We had a late lunch here a couple of days ago and it was great. Since it was past the busy lunch period it wasn’t crowded or hectic. The décor is quite funky with mismatched tables and chairs and interesting art on the walls. We shared the citrus soy toasted barley bowl and it was so delicious. The teas they serve are Silk Road teas – a very good local tea company. The complete menu is on their website.

Pros: delicious food, friendly, efficient staff, reasonable prices

Affordable - Edit

What I like about Lady Marmalade is that it definitely isn't over priced. They really don't have a great selection of vegan options, but they do seem fairly receptive for subbing certain options to make them vegan. I haven't been disappointed with anything I have got there so far. I also love the artwork that they have up....very eye pleasing.

Pros: Good tasting food

Cons: Not many options

Terrible Service. Not vegan friendly. - Edit

I ordered the tofu scramble and was clear that I was vegan and gluten intolerant. My meal came with normal bread with butter on it. I sent it back mentioning both of those things. They then returned with gluten-free bread WITH butter on it again. I chose not to mention anything and just left it on the side.

Then the worst thing happened. Half way through eating the potato side I noticed a huge chunk of bacon in it :( :( :( Turns out they gave me the afternoon potatoes used for their poutine which contain bacon bits. I don't know how much bacon I consumed but as a dedicated vegan this was very disturbing to me. I told the waiter and got a free meal but I will not be returning.

Pros: colourful friendly environment

Cons: not vegan aware, uncareful kitchen and waiting staff

good scramble - Edit

Had the tofu scramble (April 2013 cost $11.95) and enjoyed it and took some home for leftovers. Attractively presented. Lots of greens in the scramble, maybe more than needed. Would like there to be more vegan choices. Service was pleasant.

Pros: plentiful meal, pleasant service

Cons: not enough vegan choices

Yummy Scramble! - Edit

Only vegan option on the menu is the Tofu Scramble, and it's delicious! (Just make sure to ask for no butter on your toast-we had to send ours back). The rest of the menu is very meat and cheese heavy.

Funky, healthy, and delicious - Edit

We had breakfast here on Saturday and really enjoyed the atmosphere and food. We both had the tofu scramble, which for me was a bit overly seasoned, but was still very delicious and satisfying. Odd that breakfast comes with a small salad, and also odd that I found the salad enjoyable with the breakfast! It also came with some seasoned roasted potatoes that were quite good, though slightly overdone.
When we arrived there were only two other tables with people so our food came pretty quickly. As we ate the place filled up quite a bit with probably 12 tables. Coffee kept coming and the wait staff was friendly and efficient. The toast was really hard, like it's supposed to be a dry crunchy bread, but it was beyond being the right kind of hard. Maybe because I didn't have butter on it, but most of it was too hard to bite and chew.
Price was a little high, but we were happy to have a very tasty vegan breakfast in a place with the kind of vibe we enjoy. We would go back again.

Pros: cool atmosphere, tasty food, good coffee

Cons: small vegan selection, little highly priced

Return to Victoria Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Lady Marmalade closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1504 times since Jun 2008.