La Zucca

Contact 041-5241570

San Giacomo dell'Orio, Santa Croce, Venice, Italy, 1762

Serves meat, vegan options available. La Zucca means "the pumpkin." Has a few vegetarian options. Direction: on Ponte del Megio on the Rio del Megio. Take Calle Larga north from Campo San Giacomo dell'Orio, cross the first bridge on your right. Mon-Sat 12:30pm-2:30pm, Mon-Sat 7:00pm-10:30pm

Category: Italian, Non-veg

First Review by louis

I will come back next time I'm in Venice! - Edit

This restaurant was simply delicious. The restaurant itself is tucked away in a cute little corner next to a tiny bridge. The waitress was very patient and helpful, explaining everything that could be made vegan (which seems to be quite a lot). Since I was alone, I ordered 2 small plates but they offer a vegetarian sampler plate that I would like to order next time I go with someone. The lentil dish as well as the spinach/chard/prunes dish were both SO good. (Don't be put off by the prunes - that dish was wonderful.)

Pros: Location, Food quality, Service

Cons: Menu not translated into English, Prices

cozy restaurant, delicious food - Edit

It is a very nice and comfy place with vegan options available. Staff is friendly and always happy to accommodate your needs!

I tried a starter - tofu with avocados and toasted almonds- simply amazing combination of flavours:) grilled aubergines with tomatoes for main were on point! However the only vegan dessert- chocolate "budino" was bland and watery.. I could only taste cocoa powder. But I believe such things are quite subjective:)

Pros: cozy restaurant

Cons: limited vegan options

Probably the best restaurant in Venice - Edit

I really enjoyed my experience at La Zucca. After a few days of mediocre food at other restaurants we made a reservation here (reservations are recommended since it tends to be quite busy in the evening) and we had delicous food. The dishes for vegetarians are great and plenty, and also a few vegan/veganizable dishes. Great quality of food and interesting taste combinations. We paid around 40 euro's for two starters, two pasta dishes and a bottle of water.

Pros: Tasty food, A lot of different choices

Cons: Menu only in Italian

Go here. - Edit

Loved it, and it was a great change of pace from other meals we had in Italy. We had an avocado + tofu dish as a starter that was very tasty. I would recommend the vegetarian platter for a main course. The way that the platter works is that the kitchen selects several items from an assortment of the 10 or so small dishes on the menu, all of which are vegetarian. In my case, all of them even appeared to be vegan, but I didn't ask. There were also three vegetarian pasta dishes and a few other starters we could have chosen from.

Make a reservation a week or so before you plan to go.

Pros: great food, charming location, inexpensive for a fine dining experience

Cons: books up well in advance

Wow. Just, Wow. - Edit

If you're in Venice, eating here is an absolute must. I had an avocado tofu pistaccio starter, followed up by pumpkin soup (prepared with a good dose of ginger), mexican-style beans, a green salad, a flan with lime, and espresso. All amazing. The staff were very friendly and were happy to point out all the vegan items on the menu. Reservations are a must-this place is very popular and by the looks of it, fully booked most of the time. Please don't leave without trying the pumpkin soup!

Pros: Best pumpkin soup on planet Earth, not terribly expensive, friendly staff

Cons: There's not one of these where I live, not fully plant-based

We Book for Every Trip for Every Dinner - Edit

I have been going to La Zucca for every trip I have made to Venice. I ask whomever is the person we are renting accommodation from to book La Zucca for every single dinner we are in Venice. I cannot rave enough about this brilliant restaurant. I once was talking with a local there who was a customer at the restaurant, and he said it is the best restaurant in Venice, period. I believe this. The food here is extraordinary; I cannot emphasize enough what a delight it is to eat here. One major caution is that reservations are pretty much mandatory. Book way in advance to avoid disappointment. Enjoy! (Note: I wanted to award five stars but could not since the restaurant does not offer solely vegetarian food.)

Pros: extraordinary food, varied menu, nice location

Cons: none except you should book ahead

A Zucca Experience - Edit

We ate twice at La Zucca whilst in Venice and on both occasions enjoyed some fantastic food and even some vegetarian wine (look for the Bio option on the wine list). The waitress at La Zucca was extremely helpful in translating the menu into English for us and although there are few vegetarian dishes on offer, the ones we had were delicious. Having heard rave reviews about the pumpkin flan we ordered this immediately alongside a rigatoni pasta bake, with a vegetarian platter to follow containing rice, green beans, carrots, curried lentils, artichoke and roasted peppers. You can also get a number of sides which we did on our second visit when we ordered potato gratin. The food at La Zucca is very creative and value for money and the total bill only came to 65 euros with a bottle of wine. The menu also changes quite frequently. The pasta dish we had on the second occasion was a cheese, courgette and courgette flower bake, which was delicious. I would definitely recommend going here when in Venice but make sure you book a reservation in advance, oh and make sure you get the pumpkin flan!

Pros: Fantastic Food, Vegetarian Wine

Cons: Few Vegetarian Options

Wonderful Veg-Friendly Restaurant! - Edit

We ate at La Zucca, and it was the probably best meal we had in Italy. My husband tried the pumpkin flan, which he still can't stop raving about. (Although it wasn't vegan, I tried a bite and it was melt-in-your-mouth good!). Their vegan options are limited. I had the pumpkin soup, with chick peas and leeks, which was yummy, and their vegetarian plate, which is a sampling of their sides served with rice (the waiter informed me the couscous had butter). It sounds boring, but it's not. The chef is obviously very creative here, and each side was prepared in different ways. The lentils were curried, the cabbage and eggplant prepared with more Italian spices, so combined with the rice, it was an absolutely delicious medley of flavors! Make reservations. It's hard to get a table here. This is one of those small places with an excellent chef that meat-lovers and vegetarians flock to. The menu is printed daily. Even if I wasn't vegan, I know I'd get tired of the standard pizza/pasta options here in Venice. La Zucca breaks the mold! Definitely have the pumpkin flan. It's to die for! Price for 2 of us, each with appetizer, main dishes, and one bottle of wine (18 Euros), the total bill was 76 Euros.
Updated from previous review on Sunday October 06, 2013

Pros: Delicious Food

Cons: Limited vegan options

Best Dinner Date - Edit

This place was awesome. I loved watching the gondolas go by. It was one of the best meals of our honeymoon and right before Feast of Rendentorie fireworks.

Pros: excellent food, great service, beautiful place

Contributions +40

Best Find in Venice - Edit

Venice is not known for its cuisine, but La Zucca is a real treat. Great pasta dishes, fresh vegetables and bread, and lots more. The best culinary experience we had in Venice, and one of the only restaurants we tried in the city that was not bland.

Wonderful place to have dinner - Edit

It was our last stop in Italy. Romantic city...
Teh restaurnat has wonderful location. The staff is very nice and helping. We haev arrived without any reservation but they have managed to give us the seats. Food was very nice.
You cna take away the meals.. We woudl defintely recommend thsi restaurnat to have one of teh best food not so expensive during your visit in Venice.

Delicious! - Edit

We tried a couple of time to visit this restaurant but it was closed (darn siesta time)
We finally made it (I would recommend making a reservation at dinner time, even on weekdays) and it was well worth it. My mom and I are vegan and my husband and father love meat and potatoes. It was fantastic for both! I had the pumpkin soup. yum!!! [edit by staff] They needed cooler air conditioning in he summer, but it was cooler in the back. Request to sit there instead of in the front room. I would definitely visit here again!

Pros: veg and non veg, good food

Cons: little pricey, a/c weak in front room

Delicious! Worth a visit - Edit

The pumpkin flan was otherworldly. Amazing. The wine cost maybe 2 or 3 euros, which is incredible in Venice. Really perfect meal!
The avocado and mustard was incredible. Who knew those two things went together so well!?!?

Only issue were the sides. The cheesy potatoes were too cheesy and boring and the broccoli tasted frozen ...

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly Staff, Good portions

Cons: Side dishes

Best Vegetarian Food in Venice - Edit

I happened upon a review of La Zucca in the comments section of the NYTimes that recommended the restaurant for vegetarians. I was not disappointed--everything was delicious. In fact, during a short trip to Venice I went back twice because it is simply the best vegetarian food to be found in Venice. Be sure to call ahead for a reservation!

I must have sampled over 10 different plates, and my favorite was the pumpkin flan. The menu changes daily, since they use seasonally fresh ingredients. There are non-vegetarian plates, but there are a significant number of veggie options. The menu is in Italian, but my waitress was happy to quickly translate. There are veggie entrees as well as at least 10 different delicious veggie sides (that can be combined for a meal). The veggie sides range in price from 5-7 euros. The entrees are a bit more pricey, but I think the most expensive one when I was there was 12 euros.

Pros: fresh ingredients, good value, delicious

Best available for veggies - Edit

Having spent four days in Venice this Easter, this was the best Veg-friendly restaurant we found. You really need to book in advance for dinner because space in the dining room and outside is limited. I had a very tasty almond and zucchini lasagne and my partner had tagliatelle with pesto. We shared a side of asparagus. Everything was very tasty although portion sizes weren't huge. Service was excellent - just ask if you need anything on the menu translated.
Go to La Zucca if you want something more enticing than spaghetti marinara or pizza margherita.

Pros: Tasty food, Helpful staff, Good value

Cons: Need to book, Small portions

Helpful staff - Edit

The staff spoke English. The only vegan options were Tagliatelle or spaghetti with tomato and basil sauce, and zuchini in olive oil and herbs. Maybe just because it was my first pasta with tomato sauce in Italy and not the millionth, I thought it was very good. The zuchini was also very good. The waiter was also helpful by telling me that sometimes pasta has eggs in it in Italy, but pizza crust never does.

Pumpkin Flan - Edit

Visited La Zucca on a Friday night in November. We tried to get in the previous night, but it was fully booked and they could just about squeeze two of us for the following night. We had to share a table with another english couple, but there was plenty of room.
The menu is only in Italian but with a phrase book, you can work out most of the menu. The waitress we had was very friendly and spoke very good english. She was able to explain anything we did not understand and although busy was patient with us. This is a veg friendly restaurant, so there is meat on the menu, but there was at least five or six choices for veggies from the starters and mains. There was also a selection of sides, which I think had a good choice of veg dishes as well.
We started with potato soup and the famous pumpkin flan. Both were nicely presented and very nice to eat as well.Then we both had different versions of the tagliatelle, mine was with gorgonzola and pistachio. I thoroughly enjoyed mine and could of eaten it again. For dessert my partner had the chocolate mousse and I chose randomly from the menu, which turned out to be Murano biscuits and a glass of dessert wine.
All together the bill came to sixty euros, which included two drinks each. Overall we enjoyed the meal and would recommend that you try it out if you are in Venice. Just make sure you have a good map and book in advance.

Pros: Good choice, Friendly staff, nice setting

Disappointed - Edit

Having read reviews I expected a quality vegetarian-friendly restaurant. This is in fact a normal Venetian restaurant which has very limited suitable options on the menu, basically like most restaurants. Veggie dish was some pre-prepared vegetable side dishes served with a portion of rice - yes it was vegetarian, but not a lot of effort made or particular sustaining or tasty. Person in charge was unfriendly and unhelpful. She had no idea whether the cheese in the tart was vegetarian and seemed confused as to why I was asking. Other staff were very friendly and efficient. Having gone to the effort of finding and booking for an anniversary meal on the basis of this being presented as suitable for vegetarians we were very disappointed.

Pros: Table by canal

Cons: Poor choice, Poor service, Dull food

Wonderful restaurant -tucked away - Edit

As with many places in Venice this is tucked away and difficult to find, but worth it! It is not wholly vegetarian but does not sell much fish which is a bonus for me to avoid the stink. 7 of us [three vegetarian] had a wonderful leisurely lunch. Not cheap [but what is in Venice?]but well worth it!

Pros: Food - excellent, Staff, Decor

A great vegan meal - Edit

I had lunch at La Zucca, when recommended by HappyCow and was not dissapointed. The menu consists of veggie food and meat dishes. It is very popular so its best to book, lots of people kept coming in after us and were turned away. I had the plate of vegetables with rice and sesame. I was expecting something quite plain but it wasn't at all. So much care had been taken over the veg, some had been roasted, others marinated, it was all very lovely. I think for vegans this is the best and safest bet. My husband had the asparagus tart which he said was delicious. There are lots of smaller items on the menu so you could easily peice together a meal or have lots to share between you. The menu is all in Italian but the waiter was happy to translate. For two meals, a couple of drinks and a coffee it was 60 euros.

Pros: Fab Food!, Helpful staff, Nice atmosphere

Cons: Bit expensive but isnt all venice?

Excellent, good quality food - Edit

We visited here twice for dinner during our week-long stay in Venice in March 2008 and enjoyed it very much - perfect for me as a longstanding vegetarian but also for my husband as a lifelong carnivore.

On both occasions we were extremely happy with our food - good choice of vegetarian food (whether it be as an appetiser followed by first course, or first course & side dish, or main dish), and both the vegetarian & carnivorous food was cooked perfectly with a great mix of flavours (imaginative combinations which we would never have anticipated to have worked so well) and the vegetables cooked absolutely "al dente".

No criticism at all, although it might be wise to bring an Italian dictionary and a pen & paper to scribble on as, although the staff are very helpful at translating the menu which is only available in Italian, it sometimes helps to have some time to think about the choices available and to have them written in front of you!

NB. Ensure that you book in advance - you may need a couple of days' advanced notice, especially at weekends and in high season (which is apparently April-October in Venice).

Pros: Imaginative flavour combinations, Vegetables cooked 'al dente', Good choice of menu

La Zucca - Edit

Cosy atmosphere, popular with locals. Reasonable prices and good service. Limited vegetarian and vegan options, however the waiter was able to suggest a vegan meal of the vegetable side dishes, served with rice and sesame. Also a 'mousse' made from pureed Eggplant, with herbs. All very good. Worth bearing in mind, given the shortage of vegan options in Venice. Improvement could be made by expanding the choice of vegan and vegetarian options to include tofu/seitan dishes as the vegetables are great but it's nice to have a bit of protein and for vegetarians, using vegetarian cheese.

Pros: tasty, good service, one of few places offering vegan food

Cons: limited vegan options

Return to Venice Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has La Zucca closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 6662 times since Jan 2008.