La Zucca

041-5241570

San Giacomo dell'Orio, Santa Croce, Venice, Italy, 1762

Serves meat, vegan options available. La Zucca means "the pumpkin." Has a few vegetarian and vegan options, and staff know what vegan means. Direction: on Ponte del Megio on the Rio del Megio. Take Calle Larga north from Campo San Giacomo dell'Orio, cross the first bridge on your right. Open Mon-Sat 12:30pm-2:30pm, Mon-Sat 7:00pm-10:30pm.

Category: Italian, Non-veg

First Review by louis

avoid this place - Edit

Cramped tables, stuck in between strangers, meat restaurant - not vegetarian, confusing menu, pandering staff, mediocre food, expensive. It's too bad this is listed on Happy Cow, because it doesn't deserve to be.

Pros: none

Cons: meat / mediocre food , bad service, expensive

Best Pasta - Edit

we ordered pasta with tomato sauce & it was the best we had on our trip to Italy

Pros: fast service, excellent food, good value

Cons: not the best vibe

I will come back next time I'm in Venice! - Edit

This restaurant was simply delicious. The restaurant itself is tucked away in a cute little corner next to a tiny bridge. The waitress was very patient and helpful, explaining everything that could be made vegan (which seems to be quite a lot). Since I was alone, I ordered 2 small plates but they offer a vegetarian sampler plate that I would like to order next time I go with someone. The lentil dish as well as the spinach/chard/prunes dish were both SO good. (Don't be put off by the prunes - that dish was wonderful.)

Pros: Location, Food quality, Service

Cons: Menu not translated into English, Prices

cozy restaurant, delicious food - Edit

It is a very nice and comfy place with vegan options available. Staff is friendly and always happy to accommodate your needs!

I tried a starter - tofu with avocados and toasted almonds- simply amazing combination of flavours:) grilled aubergines with tomatoes for main were on point! However the only vegan dessert- chocolate "budino" was bland and watery.. I could only taste cocoa powder. But I believe such things are quite subjective:)

Pros: cozy restaurant

Cons: limited vegan options

Probably the best restaurant in Venice - Edit

I really enjoyed my experience at La Zucca. After a few days of mediocre food at other restaurants we made a reservation here (reservations are recommended since it tends to be quite busy in the evening) and we had delicous food. The dishes for vegetarians are great and plenty, and also a few vegan/veganizable dishes. Great quality of food and interesting taste combinations. We paid around 40 euro's for two starters, two pasta dishes and a bottle of water.

Pros: Tasty food, A lot of different choices

Cons: Menu only in Italian

Go here. - Edit

Loved it, and it was a great change of pace from other meals we had in Italy. We had an avocado + tofu dish as a starter that was very tasty. I would recommend the vegetarian platter for a main course. The way that the platter works is that the kitchen selects several items from an assortment of the 10 or so small dishes on the menu, all of which are vegetarian. In my case, all of them even appeared to be vegan, but I didn't ask. There were also three vegetarian pasta dishes and a few other starters we could have chosen from.

Make a reservation a week or so before you plan to go.

Pros: great food, charming location, inexpensive for a fine dining experience

Cons: books up well in advance

Several vegan options - Edit

Menu in Italian only, but on request, several vegan options were possible, both for starter, main course and dessert (one).

Wow. Just, Wow. - Edit

If you're in Venice, eating here is an absolute must. I had an avocado tofu pistaccio starter, followed up by pumpkin soup (prepared with a good dose of ginger), mexican-style beans, a green salad, a flan with lime, and espresso. All amazing. The staff were very friendly and were happy to point out all the vegan items on the menu. Reservations are a must-this place is very popular and by the looks of it, fully booked most of the time. Please don't leave without trying the pumpkin soup!

Pros: Best pumpkin soup on planet Earth, not terribly expensive, friendly staff

Cons: There's not one of these where I live, not fully plant-based

We Book for Every Trip for Every Dinner - Edit

I have been going to La Zucca for every trip I have made to Venice. I ask whomever is the person we are renting accommodation from to book La Zucca for every single dinner we are in Venice. I cannot rave enough about this brilliant restaurant. I once was talking with a local there who was a customer at the restaurant, and he said it is the best restaurant in Venice, period. I believe this. The food here is extraordinary; I cannot emphasize enough what a delight it is to eat here. One major caution is that reservations are pretty much mandatory. Book way in advance to avoid disappointment. Enjoy! (Note: I wanted to award five stars but could not since the restaurant does not offer solely vegetarian food.)

Pros: extraordinary food, varied menu, nice location

Cons: none except you should book ahead

A Zucca Experience - Edit

We ate twice at La Zucca whilst in Venice and on both occasions enjoyed some fantastic food and even some vegetarian wine (look for the Bio option on the wine list). The waitress at La Zucca was extremely helpful in translating the menu into English for us and although there are few vegetarian dishes on offer, the ones we had were delicious. Having heard rave reviews about the pumpkin flan we ordered this immediately alongside a rigatoni pasta bake, with a vegetarian platter to follow containing rice, green beans, carrots, curried lentils, artichoke and roasted peppers. You can also get a number of sides which we did on our second visit when we ordered potato gratin. The food at La Zucca is very creative and value for money and the total bill only came to 65 euros with a bottle of wine. The menu also changes quite frequently. The pasta dish we had on the second occasion was a cheese, courgette and courgette flower bake, which was delicious. I would definitely recommend going here when in Venice but make sure you book a reservation in advance, oh and make sure you get the pumpkin flan!

Pros: Fantastic Food, Vegetarian Wine

Cons: Few Vegetarian Options

Wonderful Veg-Friendly Restaurant! - Edit

We ate at La Zucca, and it was the probably best meal we had in Italy. My husband tried the pumpkin flan, which he still can't stop raving about. (Although it wasn't vegan, I tried a bite and it was melt-in-your-mouth good!). Their vegan options are limited. I had the pumpkin soup, with chick peas and leeks, which was yummy, and their vegetarian plate, which is a sampling of their sides served with rice (the waiter informed me the couscous had butter). It sounds boring, but it's not. The chef is obviously very creative here, and each side was prepared in different ways. The lentils were curried, the cabbage and eggplant prepared with more Italian spices, so combined with the rice, it was an absolutely delicious medley of flavors! Make reservations. It's hard to get a table here. This is one of those small places with an excellent chef that meat-lovers and vegetarians flock to. The menu is printed daily. Even if I wasn't vegan, I know I'd get tired of the standard pizza/pasta options here in Venice. La Zucca breaks the mold! Definitely have the pumpkin flan. It's to die for! Price for 2 of us, each with appetizer, main dishes, and one bottle of wine (18 Euros), the total bill was 76 Euros.
Updated from previous review on Sunday October 06, 2013

Pros: Delicious Food

Cons: Limited vegan options

great food, friendly staff!! - Edit

This is a great vegetarian-friendly restaurant and the waiters will explain any ingredients in English.

Best Dinner Date - Edit

This place was awesome. I loved watching the gondolas go by. It was one of the best meals of our honeymoon and right before Feast of Rendentorie fireworks.

Pros: excellent food, great service, beautiful place

Contributions +40

Best Find in Venice - Edit

Venice is not known for its cuisine, but La Zucca is a real treat. Great pasta dishes, fresh vegetables and bread, and lots more. The best culinary experience we had in Venice, and one of the only restaurants we tried in the city that was not bland.

Wonderful place to have dinner - Edit

It was our last stop in Italy. Romantic city...
Teh restaurnat has wonderful location. The staff is very nice and helping. We haev arrived without any reservation but they have managed to give us the seats. Food was very nice.
You cna take away the meals.. We woudl defintely recommend thsi restaurnat to have one of teh best food not so expensive during your visit in Venice.

Delicious! - Edit

We tried a couple of time to visit this restaurant but it was closed (darn siesta time)
We finally made it (I would recommend making a reservation at dinner time, even on weekdays) and it was well worth it. My mom and I are vegan and my husband and father love meat and potatoes. It was fantastic for both! I had the pumpkin soup. yum!!! [edit by staff] They needed cooler air conditioning in he summer, but it was cooler in the back. Request to sit there instead of in the front room. I would definitely visit here again!

Pros: veg and non veg, good food

Cons: little pricey, a/c weak in front room

Delicious! Worth a visit - Edit

The pumpkin flan was otherworldly. Amazing. The wine cost maybe 2 or 3 euros, which is incredible in Venice. Really perfect meal!
The avocado and mustard was incredible. Who knew those two things went together so well!?!?

Only issue were the sides. The cheesy potatoes were too cheesy and boring and the broccoli tasted frozen ...

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly Staff, Good portions

Cons: Side dishes

Best Vegetarian Food in Venice - Edit

I happened upon a review of La Zucca in the comments section of the NYTimes that recommended the restaurant for vegetarians. I was not disappointed--everything was delicious. In fact, during a short trip to Venice I went back twice because it is simply the best vegetarian food to be found in Venice. Be sure to call ahead for a reservation!

I must have sampled over 10 different plates, and my favorite was the pumpkin flan. The menu changes daily, since they use seasonally fresh ingredients. There are non-vegetarian plates, but there are a significant number of veggie options. The menu is in Italian, but my waitress was happy to quickly translate. There are veggie entrees as well as at least 10 different delicious veggie sides (that can be combined for a meal). The veggie sides range in price from 5-7 euros. The entrees are a bit more pricey, but I think the most expensive one when I was there was 12 euros.

Pros: fresh ingredients, good value, delicious

Return to Venice Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has La Zucca closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.