Krishna Bhavan - 10eme

Contact 0142057843

21/24 Rue Cail, Paris, France, 75010

Vegetarian Indian restaurant with outlets in Paris serving South Indian food. Vegans should ask for dishes without milk dips or yoghurt dips. Open Tue-Sun 11:00am-11:00pm.

Category: Lacto, Indian

First Review by vegman in France

big portions reasonable price.. - Edit

Headed here after the cycle cab driver tried to rip us off on our trip from the Eiffel Tower to Notre Dame.. so we were in the mood for a relaxing atmosphere and good food. luckily we got both here. The waitress was efficient if not gushingly friendly. We chose Bonda's to start. One of mine was slightly doughy but overall they were good. Take note though that these are huge, and you get 2. We probably should have shared them. While I nipped to the bathroom I overheard the waitress trying to explain to the chef what vegans are. it took her 4 attempts.. anyway.. main course, I had the mushroom dosa. it was lovely. Huge. All in all a great place and very reasonable in price. Vegans may need to let them know when ordering.

Nothing special - Edit

An indian restaurant 100% vegetarian, but with nothing special. Didn't see any difference with another average indian restaurant. Many dishes aren't vegan, which reduces drastically options for vegans. Staff was a bit indifferent, and it's not that cheap for this neighborhood. I know better indian restaurants in Paris (that are not even 100% vegetarian). Disappointed.

Pros: 100% vegetarian

Cons: average food, not that cheap

Arguably the Best Indian Food in Paris - Edit

Simple review - outstanding, fantastic, amazing Indian food, period. This is the place if you want the real thing. I really dig what others would consider "very" or "too" spicy, and these folks did not disappoint. No tame seasonings here. So good. We had dosas and a idli & sambar and all were perfect.

Pros: Best Indian food we had in Paris

Great for Vegans too! Amazing food! - Edit

I go back here everytime I'm in Paris! There are 3 locations of the same restaurant in this street, but this one is always the busiest.
It's an all vegetarian restaurant, and they are not expensive at all, there is lots of choice and they have lots of vegan options. They can also make you a vegan plate and skip the yoghurt/ milk/ butter. Very respectful personnel, and always helpful.
I recommend the thali's, the masala dosa or paddu kota (or something like that).
My favorite place in Paris, I could eat here every day and not get bored.
So I recommend this place to everybody!

Pros: Not expensive , Lots of choice, and they make it vegan, Nice personnel and atmosphere

Cons: A bit crowded sometimes

GREAT curry - Edit

The food is awesome: naan au fromage c'est superbe. J'aime bien aussi le curry avec épinard et pommes de terre.
The waitress is a little bit grumpy but she is a nice person i guess.
I really miss this place!

Pros: naan au fromage, lassi au mange, curry avec épinard

Yummy & filling - Edit

Probably my favorite meal I've ever had in Paris. And I've been there several times. At this location there are actually two dining rooms, one across the street from the other: we opted for the smaller, cozier one. The meal was super authentic, good portion size, and very satisfying. Will most definitely eat here again!

Pros: great food, great value, convenient location

Cons: small dining room

simply great - Edit

I went to Krishna Bhavan for lunch having picked up my sister at Gare du Nord in december 2013. We seldom had such authentic, delicious Indian food. I ate the mushroom dhosa, my sister had some chickpea curry. Communication with the staff was not easy but feasible. They really bothered to provide us with food meeting our expectations. And of course, prices are stunningly low! I will definitely come back!

Pros: delicious food, convenient location

Good place for vegetarians, beware vegans - Edit

I tried this restaurant as a vegetarian and I enjoyed a lot my lunch. I had a beautiful thali with a lot of flavours for a limited price. Food and place are similar to those you can find in India (and you can eat directly with your hands without being looked at like a crazy). However, as a vegan, it could be more difficult to eat as they extensively use dairy products and it is sometimes difficult to make you understand by the waitress.

Pros: typical indian food, nice flavours, low prices

Cons: may be difficult to eat as a vegan

Hare Krishna - French Style - Edit

I go to the version of this restaurant in Perth, Australia called Govinda's Hare Krishna food all the time so I was eager to see what paris had to offer. First I was surprised to see one on each side of the street but that's cool, I promptly chose one and went in. I was pretty confused at how it worked because the one I'm used to is an all you can eat buffet that you add dessert, lasi, samosa &/or pakoras to but this was restaurant style.
Now I can read & speak both french & english so I asked the waitress if the meal I was looking at choosing had any milk/dairy in it in both french then english and she was still having trouble. I eventually got a very confused no but as it did have any dips I was pretty sure it'll all be vegan. The meal came pretty quickly probably because of the microwave thing but it's cheap and delicious so I don't really care.
As I expected once I'd scraped my plate clean i was very full and had to say no to desert as there was really no room left in my stomach which is pretty good for 6.50 euros in Paris. From my eyes it was pretty clean, there was a cheerful atmosphere but maybe I chose the cleaner restaurant of the street.
My tips are to go when you're really hungry, like when it feels like your stomach is starting to digests itself, it'll fill you up and you'll be good for like 5,6 hours.
I loved it and the entire street smelt delicious.

Pros: Cheap, Delicious, relaxed/positive atmosphere

Cons: Language barrier, microwaved food, can't just add a samosa to your meal

Fabulous - Edit

It's one of the best meals I've had when visiting Paris and I visited over 15 vegetarian restaurants there.

Sure, it can be hard to specify you want a vegan meal, but saying no milk and no yogurt seem to do the trick.

No flavorless or bland food here. Pure awesomeness if you're into Indian food.

Pros: Tasty, Excellent value, Large portion

Cons: Communication Issue, Atmosphere

delivate flavours, excellent meal - Edit

There have been many reviews so far - but i hope to reply to some of the compliments and criticism!

Having eaten at the majority of Indian restaurants in this Indian area of Paris (one of two areas), I was thrilled when Krishna Bhavan opened to be able to relax into it's totally veg and vegan friendly environment. When i first went there, they told me that only the dips and sauces had dairy, otherwise ok for Vegan. (they also refuse to allow meat onto the premises)

The food is always fresh (although yes they do use a microwave to heat up the idli's, vadai's...as ALL the restaurants in the neighbourhood do), but it is not heavy with oil or ghee, and I find their flavours to be delicate and rounded. Perhaps not flaming hot but as I hadn't been expecting that in the dishes I ordered i didn't miss that.
The masala dosas, sambal vadais and lentil soup are excellent examples.

There are two restaurants - one opposite the other. One has a more formal setting, with tablecloths and dimmed lighting, the other is more of a canteen style, also with cloths (on the formica tables), but a much more informal style. I have to say that this side, (incidently my favourite) although recently re-decorated, feels very mildly dingy, but you have a hand washing tap and everything that comes onto your table is spotless. This side is also usually packed with Indian families whereas the other side gets more tourists and French people. The menu is the same, the quality of the dishes is the same.

Although when it first opened it seemed that some of the staff may have only recently arrived in France, I have found that they all speak some English, if not very good English, and at least some French too. I have always found the staff delightful, smiling and kind.

And it is cheap! I always eat my fill, if not a little bit more, for under 10 euros. Some dishes may cost more - I haven't tried everything on the menu yet! If you add drinks of course that would be a couple of euros more.

Updated from previous review on Tuesday November 13, 2012

Pros: quality indian, inexpensive, fast

Cons: often crowded

Très bonne cantine indienne - Edit

Je déjeune de temps en temps dans ce restaurant et j'ai toujours été tres satisfait de la qualité de la nourriture. Les plats sont variés et accommodés sans trop de piment. Il y a un second restaurant Krishna Bavan juste en face de celui-ci.

poor north indian food - Edit

we had paneer sabzi, which was not good at all. rotis were pathetic.
south indian snacks were good
service was not friendly.

Pros: pure vegetarian

Cons: bad service, bad food, unfriendly staff

Good indian restaurant - Edit

This restaurant has good and fresh food, with a wide choice, of which specialities from Tamil Nadu (South India). And not full of oil as in many others indian restaurants. (their coconut chutney is great !!!)
The staff is OK (not very sympathetic but not antipathetic).
The price is not more expensive than the other indian restaurants in the neighbourhood (which is the "indiantown" of Paris), so it's cheap (especially for Paris) !

But the food is almost not spicy (so don't go if you eat indian food for its spice !).

There are many other indian restaurants in the neighbourhood, and even if they are not 100% vegetarian, they always have many vegetarian meals. I would recommend you Thensurabi (60 rue Louis Blanc), which has excellent "Masala Dosai" (a Tamil speciality).
Updated from previous review on Saturday November 14, 2009

Edit, 22/11/2011 : they changed the menu, the meals are the same, but prices increased by 1 to 2€ (10 to 25%).

Pros: fresh and good food - not fat, wide choice, quite cheap

Cons: not spicy (it can be a pro...)

Vegetarian but all microwaved food - Edit

I used to go this restaurant for 5 years, knowing that the vegetable curries are heated in a microwave, although normally I never use or eat microwave food. Why? Because there are only a few vegetarian restaurants in Paris. This was cheap, tasty and eating once per month microwaved food I thought is not the end of the world. Once I returned a Samosa because it was like rubber, but then it seemed that the Samosas which are fried were freshly fried. Today I ordered two rolles filled with vegetables. Already the filling was not good, but again it was first fried and then microwaved because it was impossible to cut the wrapping. When I wanted to return it they said that they always do so and everything is microwaved and if I do not want it I have to say that in advance. I decided not to go there anymore. If you are vegetarian and you are interested in healthy fresh food, unfortunately you will not find it at Krishna Bavan. Furthermore they changed there menu 2 month ago and the Thali which was always 8.50 EUR is now 10 EUR. Much too expensive for microwaved food. If you want healthy food, do not go there, you will not find it.

Pros: vegetarian, indian

Cons: microwaved curries, microwaved samosas and rolls, changed prices

erg lekker en goedkoop! - Edit

We went here last Monday (it was open...). We were very hungry and expected little food for such low price. The place seemed a bit grotty, seats not very clean. But the food was great!!! Enough to fill you up in a pleasant way. the servants also were very nice. so this is a good place. its all vegetarian so you can order everything on the menu! our children preferred this restaurant above fast food.

Pros: excellent food, good value, friendly staff

Cons: bit grotty

Backpacker heaven. - Edit

This restaurant was the cat's pyjamas. My party of three (all vegetarians) each ordered a different meal, at random, from the menu. We had no idea what we were ordering as our ropey French didn't stretch to the unfamiliar vocabulary, but were reassured by signs stating the place was 100% vegetarian.

I had a masala dhosa - a huge crispy crepe stuffed with curried potatoes, which came with sides of coconut dip, masala sauce and a chickpea curry. I was worried my meal would be insufficient, as it only cost 5.50, but it was massive. My companions had to finish it off for me. Would definitely go again.

Unlike other reviews, we actually found our server to be a really kind woman, who was very patient with our awful accents and half-forgotten vocab. I can understand why vegans may have had a difficult time articulating their specific dietary requirements, but veggies should not shy away from this place due to the language barrier.

If in doubt, order a dhosa!

Pros: cheap, healthy cuisine, big portions

Cons: small premises

The real deal - Edit

So happy to eat here - reminded me of one of my favourite veg Indian restos in Montreal, Pushap. The service was good although there was some misunderstanding at the beginning when we tried to explain that we were vegan. Staff appeared to speak neither English nor French well. Once that was clear, though, the waiter was very helpful and suggested dishes that were suitable for us (i.e. no ghee). I don't remember exactly what I had but I remember it was spicy, yummy and filling. Reasonable prices. Very busy around lunchtime. I can't wait to go back.
Updated from previous review on Friday December 10, 2010
Updated from previous review on Friday December 10, 2010

Pros: good food, helpful staff

Cons: noisy

Wonderful, inexpensive vegan food - Edit

My husband and I went to Krishna Bhavan last night for the first time and *loved* it.

First of all, it's in a really neat neighborhood--it's a bustling place filled with Indian grocery stores, little restaurants, and shops selling beautiful saris. I had a great time walking around in the area.

The restaurant itself is pleasant--not fancy, but still clean and comfortable.

Our waitress was very kind to us, and was happy to make our meals vegan. I just picked something on the menu, and asked whether it had milk in it ("Il y a lait dans le dhosa?"--this is almost certainly not grammatical, but she understood)--she politely said, "no" and then asked us whether we wanted her to make sure that none of our food contained milk. We replied that that would be wonderful, and then when she served us our food, she made sure to mention that none of it contained milk. (I don't know whether our waitress spoke English; but our French is truly minimal, and we were able to get along just fine.)

Our food was fantastic and cheap. The truth is, we ordered way too much. I thought that since the dhosas were only 5.50, they would be quite small, so we also got appetizers. This made for a huge amount of food--in the future, a dhosa per person will be plenty, since the dhosas are unbelievably big. I got the masala dhosa, and my husband got the mushroom dhosa, and both were wonderful. (I think I liked the mushroom a little bit better, but not much better!) Each one came with a bit of delicious vegetable stew, some onion chutney, and this *amazing* savory coconut puree. I could probably just eat a bowl of that coconut.

Even though we ordered way too much food, our bill was only 17.00 for two people. Since we're living in Paris for a quite a while on a budget, I think this place will become a staple.

Pros: Delicious food, Friendly, Inexpensive

excellent - Edit

This was my favorite place to go in Paris, and I went to a number of vegetarian places. The food was great, the staff friendly. Their price can't be beat in Paris; you'll receive a filling delicious meal for a price far less than most other places. Entirely vegetarian menu. I've never had authentic Indian food before, funny I should stumble upon some while on vacation in Paris. Highly recommended!

Pros: great food, friendly staff, excellent value

Not a bad place - Edit

I've been there a few times, it's not a bad place. The food is cheap and tasty, and quite differant from what you find in other vegetarian restaurants. The only problem would be the staff, who doesn't speak very good french or english, so communication is a little hard. I'm vegan, and never got them to understand I didn't want any of the mint dip on my plate, as it has milk in it. No big deal though, I just don't eat it. Just a problem once with a waitress who misunderstood what I ordered, brought me something else, and then refused to take it back (I hadn't touched it).

Pros: tasty food, indian vegetarian, cheap

Cons: don't speak good french or english, staff not always very friendly, not in a nice neiberhood

Vegans, don't go there !!! - Edit

waitresses speak neither french nor English, and unfortunately we eat dairy products :'(

Sad surprise. Don't go there. - Edit

We ate there a few weeks ago and had one of the worst experience ever. The food was vegetarian but tasteless and worst of all the waiter was rude and couldn't clearly care less about our choices. It was our first time in an Indian restaurant in a long time and we needed some more information about the ingredients of the plates. Since we didn't thoroughly understand French (though we speak it) we asked a couple of times to tell us the list of the ingredients one more time and she was always so pissed off and once she even told us she was surprised because she had to tell the same things twice (!).
So, long things short, the choice is vegetarian and cheap, but this doesn't mean the service must be rude and cheap and the food just tasteless too. Simply put, don't go there.

Cons: rude service, tastelessfood, poor location

not too sure about it - Edit

As soon as we sat down and ordered I discovered that the restaurant I was looking for was across the street. The name was the same and they seemed to share staff and funds, although the decoration was slightly different. Or should I say that there was no decoration on our side of the street...
The staff was friendly, but probably didn't understand when I asked for non-dairy foos because what I got looked strangely creamy to me, so I ended up eating bajji with only one sauce.
Since my mother loves extremely spicy food we asked for the strongest meals they have. She ended up being quite disappointed in her masala dosa and had to take some of my eggplant sauce for the extra hotness. As for me I got some pancake-like things that looked and tasted as if they had been baked with cheese. I trusted the Happy Cow reviews that said this place was vegan aside from the sauces and hoped I was wrong because I was very hungry.
It was a nice Indian experience, but if I should go back there next time I will try the one across the road and speak english very slowly in order to make sure that I get only vegan food on my plate.

Pros: authentic

good food good price - Edit

delicious (becareful all foods are little spicy, because of the indian style with curry and hot peper). not expensive, quick service, friendly indian waiters. exotic candy for me as gift after the meal , it has a weired perfume like indian incents :-)
but small & hot (a little uncomfortable in summer, take away suggested), not chic looking.

Pros: excellent food, good value , friendly staff

Cons: noisy, small place

Cheap tasty vegan-friendly indian food - dhosas! - Edit

Krishna Bhavan is within 5 minutes walk of both the North and East stations.
It's in an area with a large Asian population, lots of Indian cafes and restaurants to choose from and this place was clearly very popular with local residents. All the tables were full when we arrived, over half with Asian families, so we waited a few minutes for a seat while several people popped in for their take-away food.
They make a variety of pakora and bhajis which were popular for take-away customers and diners. They also do some Thali meals and several dhosas.
We had dhosas which were massive - a huge, thin crispy pancake roll overlapping both sides of the metal tray, with mushroom curry or potato curry inside and a veggie curry and sambal side dishes. Highly recommend the mushroom one. Everything tasted great though not very spicy and the meal was perfect to keep us happy throughout a long train journey.
It is a cafe really - their website makes it look a bit posher than it is - with formica tables and bustling atmosphere.
It's very popular with families so expect to clamber over buggies on your way in. Luckily the children there when we went were well behaved and there were no screaming brats.
It is very cheap, I think we spent about £10 on starter, main and drinks for 2.

Pros: Cheap, Atmosphere, Mostly vegan

Cons: Popularity means busy, Basic furnishing / decor

delicious! - Edit

i really like this place--i have been twice, and both times loved the food i ordered. last time i ordered the rice (bavani or something) and it was delicious! it comes with three sides/sauces that are amazing! if you are vegan, be sure to let them know not to put sides with cheese or milk in them.
best part are the samosas---sooo delicious! if you are vegan or vegetarian, the food and price is awesome.
also, it is in the indian district of paris, which is really cool to explore.

Pros: delicious, good value

Return to Paris Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Krishna Bhavan - 10eme closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 15304 times since Aug 2007.