Khana Khazana

Contact +852-25205308

1st Floor, Dannies House, 20 Luard Rd, Wan Chai, Hong Kong Island, Hong Kong, China,

First of the Fusion Concepts Indian restaurant chain to be advertised as veg, though food and drink ingredients are not pro-actively verified as veg. Seats 85. English menu and spoken. Nearest MTR Wan Chai exit C. Open Mon-Fri 12:00pm-3:00pm, Mon-Fri 6:00pm-11:00pm, Sat-Sun 12:00pm-11:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian, International, Buffet, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by kajaljewel

Khana Khazana, Hong Kong - Edit

Khana Khazana is owned by Fusion Concepts. It is the 1st attempt at vegetarianism in their otherwise meat oriented restaurant suite (see below).

It shows that Khana is under management to whom a vegetarian restaurant is a minority of their portfolio. e.g. Khana management had no idea about the widespread use of the meat and fish products in the beverage industry, especially alcoholic drinks. See here for details:-

www.vegsoc.org/alcohol

This concern was highlighted to them numerous times since 7 Nov 2015. In an attempt to be constructive it was suggested to them that they:-

* check quickly their alcoholic drinks on www.barnivore.com to see if the drinks are vegetarian
* follow up with their suppliers to get further details from them or go to the manufacturer if required
* in the interests of their customer's moral values Khana remove any items from their retail list yet to be verified as vegetarian

I also explained to them that if they didn't act upon this promptly I would be compelled to share this info publicly so vegetarians could decide for themselves if they want to eat in Khana. Now on 7 January 2016 this is from the latest reply I received from them to my suggestions:-

* "What you are saying tantamounts to blackmail and we are afraid we cannot accede to every such request until we are absolutely sure that products in question are non-vegetarian."

So what he says boils down to:-

* before selling items to customers they do not verify if the item is vegetarian
* instead they they happily take cash from their clientele until something comes to light that proves an item isn't vegetarian
* they are completely absolving themselves of the risk proving non vegetarian food / drink and instead pass the risk to the customer

Since they are so contemptuous of the philosophical values of vegetarian customers with regard to beverages this begs the question; what else in their stock list is non vegetarian?

Updated from previous review on 2016-01-07

Cons: Not 100% vegetarian, Contempt for the vegetarian values

Yummy food! - Edit

Lots of yummy vegetarian options to choose from. The staff was nice. The first time we visited they made mistakes with bringing some of the bread and rice we ordered, but the manager apologized and gave us a discount and a free item. We came a second time and service was perfect. Everyone loved the food. I'd definitely visit again when I come to HK in the future, and my HK friend said she will be taking her family there.

Pros: Great food, good service.

Wow, my favorite Indian restaurant in Asia! - Edit

Hi, how are you?

I have dinned here many times since I've become vegan and I'm impressed. Tasty non-very oily food, quality ingredients, English speaking staff, friendly and helpful owner who always cares about how you feel there and who always wants to assist you, variety, colorful dishes with many veggies, lentils dishes, naan, Aloo Gobi, etc... but the best part is that they can do almost 80% of the menu or more VEGAN! Amazing! I can't wait to go back to the tasty food... I would just love vegan deserts options since there are none... please!
Updated from previous review on Friday June 12, 2015

Pros: tasty, varied food, affordable price, they speak English

Cons: please include vegan deserts

2 Responses

Stevie 13 Jun 2015 - Hi Lori,

Thanks for this and indeed your other contributions to happycow.

Regards, Stevie

Good Indian food, but not great - Edit

I'm a bit surprised at the glowing reviews of the "authentic" Indian food here. Perhaps it's because I've lived in India, but while the food is good, it fails to impress me (there are better options in Hong Kong, actually).
The staff is friendly and the location good, so it's still a good alternative. I'd just temper the glowing reviews, that's all, but it's of course a matter of personal taste.

Pros: Good location, Good variety

Lunch Buffet A Big Disappointment! - Edit

I was keen to try Khana Khazana for the first time because it's 100% vegetarian and well-reviewed on here, so I went there today, but unfortunately it was a disappointing experience.

First and foremost, the food is quite standard and unexciting, and the selection - though every dish is vegetarian - is limited, with only about 10 items in the line-up. Plus just one dessert and one fresh fruit item. The lunch buffet includes one soft drink, but yogurt-based drinks are excluded. The ambiance is null; it is noisy; and the service is perfunctory.

Finally, at about HKD97 per person for the lunch buffet, Khana Khazana does not represent value for money. At least now I know. [edited by staff - see tos]
Updated from previous review on Wednesday September 17, 2014

Pros: 100% Vegetarian

Cons: Boring food; poor quality & variety, Bad decor, ambiance, noisy, Sub-standard service

Stevie 09 Apr 2015 - Hi Sfvoyage,

If I may politely be allowed to enquire re your comments, what is it that you were expecting exactly please? I've not seen any other all vego Indian restaurants in HK that offer a buffet (if anyone knows of any others, please let me know so I can zip along there and give it a try asap). When I've been to the buffet at Khana Kazana the food has been good. The price you refer to bearing in mind this is HK is pretty reasonable.

Similarly your comments re ambiance, noise and service, I'd be fascinated to know what your expectations were.

I hope my message comes over in the constructive tone intended.

Regards,
Stevie

Excellent Indian vegetarian - Edit

The food here is always excellent and is the best spot for Indian food in Hong Kong Island.

Particular favourites include the tandoori platter which is a sizzling plate of several items good enough for 2 to share.

The samosas are a good size and a portion consists of 3.

The daal makhani is also a very tasty dish. They serve poppadoms and a few sauces to start. The only extra thing I would like would be a sweet naan but apart from that it's perfect.

Service is fine and prices reasonable with most dishes around 60-80HKD.

Highly recommended.

Pros: Great food, Easy to get in, Good location

Cons: No sweet naan

Go For The Lunch Buffet! - Edit

Delicious all you can eat veggie lunch buffet, lots of options. South and north Indian.
Was popular with business lunches.
Not sure how vegan everything was, you would need to inquire.
Not bad value for what you could have.

Pros: A Feast, Choice

Excellent food, nice atmosphere,attentive service - Edit

Went there on a friday night with my family. The range of available dishes is amazing, Southern Indian dishes (which are hard to get in many Indian restaurants in Europe) are well-represented. Portions are well-sized and the food is really tasty. The marinated and tandoor-roasted paneer is outstanding. I also recommend the masala papadum and the South Indian platter. The bhel puri is a huge in size, but quite spicy. Among the desserts, I missed barfi, but they have a very tasty, cardamom-spiced firni (creamy milk rice). We paid 812 HKD for five persons, including drinks. Many Indian guests. The atmosphere is nice and quiet, the waiting staff was very helpful and friendly. Highly recommendable.

Pros: excellent food, attentive service, nice atmosphere

Excellent Indian vegetarian restaurant - Edit

Excellent Vegetarian Indian restaurant. The buffet luch that is available on weekdays is really recommended: various delicious dishes for a ok price: 80 HKD. Quality food, nice place.

Pros: Buffet, Food

Another great eatery for Indian food lovers - Edit

Came here on a Sunday looking to try their lunch buffet, only to find out that it's not available on weekends. So we ordered a la carte, and it did not disappoint at all. The food was wonderful, and much less greasy than many other Indian restaurants that I've eaten at. Waiting staff were attentive, the place was spotless. I wouldn't say it's cheap compared to other similar restaurants, but it was well worth every cent. Definitely recommended!

Pros: Food, Service, Cleanliness

Good - Edit

I love Indian food, and I was not disappointed with Khana Khazana. Although you can get vegetarian dishes at most South Asian restaurants in Hong Kong, there is something reassuring about the idea that there at Khan Khazana is no meat surreptitiously making its way into your supposedly vegetarian Chana Masala or what not. I encourage lacto-ovo vegetarians to try some of the other not-exclusively vegetarian South Asian places in HK as well (some of which are better value than Khana Khazana), but do give Khana Khazana a try.

Pros: good food, location

It is the best "Indian" now in Hong Kong - Edit

Yes - I fully agree with the previous Reviewer.

I really enjoy my meals in Khana Khazana now.

The restaurant looks to be doing good business.

On my last visit it was busy with Indian family groups & business people dining.

The lunch-time buffet was very good with several vegan dishes & 2 simple salads.

Freshly cooked Indian breads are brought to your table.

The table waiting team are knowledgeable about the food & are very helpful.

Good value for the area - remember that Wan Chai is a high-rent district.

I wish them continued success!

Best Place for Veg food in Hong Kong - Edit

very good & tasty food, after change of ownership the concept of food & higine is also changed.. ours is first preference or you can say whenever we are in Hong Kong in evening it is the place we will be there without fail for all the days

Pros: Excellent food, Friendly staff, good value

Return to Hong Kong Island Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Khana Khazana closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.