Jumon

6 Fountain St, Belfast, Northern Ireland, BT1 5ED

Asian vegetarian food offering healthy dishes and drinks. Has labeled vegan options.

Categories: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Beer/Wine, Delivery, Take-out, Asian, Honey

First Review by CiaraSlevin

Mod Asian - Edit

Very good. Northern Ireland has got used to a kind of restaurant good we call "Chinese" that relies on sauces and fried food. Whilst tasty, you get more or less the same old dishes everywhere with what seems to be the same mix of carrot, onion, bamboo shoots and baby sweetcorn from the lazier outlets for veggie options.

Jumon has already innovated in a crowded marketplace. Looking like it comes straight out of the movie "big trouble in little China", as soon as you sit down you are offered a cup of spiced tea.

Take it from there and no matter what you are ordering you'll get a flavourful take in fresh pan-asian cuisine taking in spices, herbs and fresh vegetables.
Nothing is overpowering, nor are the portions giant but the flavours full and delicious.

The unusual ingredients and unfamiliar tastes were really refreshing and vibrant. Really enjoyed everything I ordered. It came quickly and tasted sublime.

A real unusual and vibrant take on vegetarian food for Belfast. Not too spicy or overpowering.
They also checked with me that cheese was OK for me - my option wasn't vegan, plenty were clearly labelled vegan however. They also modified the food for one of my party's dietary requirements with no hassle. A great place.

Updated from previous review on 2018-04-22

Pros: Healthy, Tasty, Fresh n quirky

absolutely amazing!! - Edit

Food was incredible and really friendly staff. The portion sizes are generous and leave you feeling very satisfied. Both vege and vegan dishes and most vege can be made vegan. Highly recommend!!

Pros: all vegan and vegetarian.

Super Spicy - Edit

There's a really nice vibe to Jumon, with beautiful oriental art aplenty. Loved that when we arrived there was a cute little pug charming visitors, sadly she didn't stay long and was soon whisked away by her owner. We were offered complimentary herbal tea which was topped up throughout our meal - a lovely touch. Food was really good, but I personally found everything over spiced to the point were it was difficult to enjoy underlying flavours. After a while all I could taste was numbing heat. It would be great if they could indicate heat/ spice levels on the menu. Given that Jumon is a vegetarian restaurant, I also expected more vegan options. We ordered a sharing starter called Nem but sadly it wasn't available. When the waitress came to our table to let us know this, she didn't seem to understand when we asked if the Chef could veganise another sharing plate - instead she just blankly pointed to the KMP, a small vegan starter. We gave up trying and ordered that. Not sure if this was a failing on behalf of Chef or Waitress, but surely any decent vegetarian restaurant should be able to veganise a few more dishes on request. Anyhow, Jumon was a good experience overall - prices are reasonable, portions generous and it's currently unique on the Belfast food scene. So I will return to give it another go and I definitely recommend Jumon to others, especially fans of very spicy food.

Pros: 100% Vegetarian , Vegan options clearly marked on menu , Complimentary oriental tea

Cons: Very spicy food (pro for some)

Return to Belfast Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Jumon closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.