First Review by Luke R

Our favorite Thai restaurant in the world - Edit

We have been eating at Jasemine for over 20 years, going back to when they were a small shop in another part of town. Their Spicy Bean Curd appetizer has a wonderful sauce (the same sauce that is on my favorite entree - #34). Every time we go to Jasemine, we order extra food so we can enjoy leftovers at home.

There is a large Vegetarian section, and you can request dishes to be any range of mild to spicy.

The only thing that I prefer to eat at other restaurants is Pad Thai (strangely). Everything else I have ever had there is excellent.

Dishes that we enjoy: Vegetarian Spring Rolls, Spicy Bean Curd, Vegetarian Coconut Soup, Vegetarian Laap (forgot), #34

Just plain weird - Edit

We had veg/tofu spring rolls that looking like they were rolled by an amateur (I roll them better at home). But the strangest thing was the dipping sauce... it tasted like peanut butter and jelly (did they have Elvis in the kitchen or what?). The entree we ordered was "Spicy All Kind Vegetable And Bean Curd". Well, it was not spicy, and the vegetables were not so kind... I was not expecting to get pickled baby corn, and the sauce was heavy and odd-flavored.

Pros: Location, Friendly

Cons: Weird flavors

It did in a pinch - Edit

I was in Memphis with my brother, scared that it was only going to be iceberg lettuce salads and french fries for me while I watch him wolf down BBQ and ribs all weekend. -Never fear! I've got Happy Cow, right? Well, after I convinced him to try some Veg*n places, nearly every place listed held different business hours than what was posted on this website. We found everything else to be closed. Jasmine's was off the beaten path (for us tourists) but was there in a pinch. Food was okay, -not really what I think of when I imagine Thai, but oh well. (Sort of sad that this was the first Veg-friendly place I could get my brother to visit.) We were the only ones in the entire place, so no trouble with service, but I could see how the two-person operation could get overwhelmed if even two thirds of the place was filled w/ customers.

Pros: attentive staff

Cons: a bit pricey, food so-so

Very rude staff, food not good. - Edit

Service:
It took 1.5-2 hours for the owner/server to take our orders. When she finally did, she gave a 2 minute lecture on how our large party (of 20) did not order any appetizers, is "taking up space when the economy is rough", and that she will be charging us 20% tip on each ticket. Unbelievable. We wouldn't have been able to order appetizers even if we wanted to because it took 2 hours for her to finally get to us!! We were STARVING. Our reservation was at 7, we ordered around 8:45, and left the restaurant around 10:30.

The lady repeated this lecture to us too many times for me to even remember.. and kept telling us to understand her situation.

None of us understood because we were hungry and willing to pay for food. Usually restaurants would like paying customers, or so I thought. With our 20 guest table, we brought in maybe $400 worth.

Food:
When the food finally came, there were some dishes that were decent (maybe because we started eating around 9:00 PM) but my own was disgusting. Too sweet and lacked a true, authentic Thai flavor.

Overall:
My experience here was horrible, I felt like I was being punished for bringing her business. I think that was the worst dining experience I have ever had in my life. A restaurant that has bad service AND bad food is not something that I would like to return to.
Jasmine deserves 0/5 stars.

Pros: Location

Cons: Service, Food, Unprofessional

ehh - Edit

Ok, sometimes it's good, sometimes it's not.
It's pretty small.
The servers are ALWAYS nice and wonderful...
BUT..
I ordered a veg dish, asked several times about what was and wasn't in it and when i got it and took a big bite...
1. It had shrimp in it.
my second dish, main entree contained EGGS even though it said nothing about it on menu, and she said, "NO animal products, it's vegan."

I will not be back EVER after that.
I suggest Pho hoa Binh on Madison, Always delicious, Always vegan.

Pros: good service

Cons: may not get what you ordered, gave me meat, small

The best! - Edit

Jasmine's is by far my favorite restaurant. There are very few veg options in Memphis, so Jasmine's huge veg menu is a blessing. I've been eating there for years and it has been consistently fabulous!

Pros: amazing food, friendly staff, huge veg selection

Nice little Chinese/Thai place - Edit

We ate here on a Sunday afternoon after being sorely disappointed with Otherlands Coffee Bar. We order and ate lunch there, but it was so paltry that we drove here to eat a second lunch. It's the first time I've ever done that! But, this isn't supposed to be about Otherlands.
The restaurant is in a nice older home with a few small tables on the porch, where we ate because of the wonderful weather. The server was very friendly. The food was very good. We ordered the noodle soup with vegetables (just a bit spicy, very nice light taste), fried spring rolls (good, maybe a little too heavily fried), fried rice with fried tofu (tasted good, but a bit too fried), and the eggplant (slightly spicey and delicious!). The eggplant was one of the best Chinese/Thai dishes that I've had in quite a while.
The food portions and prices were reasonable.
We'd definitely eat there again if we were in the area because it has a number of other vegetarian and vegan options that we could try.
I'd give it a "Good" 4 out of 5 stars if that was an option.

Return to Memphis Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Jasmine's Thai and Vegetarian closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 3203 times since Aug 2007.