Imagine Vegan Cafe

901-654-3455

2158 Young Ave, Memphis, Tennessee, USA, 38104

Vegan restaurant operating since 2011. Offers classic American food using faux meats like chicken drumstick, savory grilled fish steak, grilled chicken, and turkey sandwich. Brunch on Sunday. Previously at 2299 Young Ave. Open Mon-Sun 11:00am-9:00pm.

Category: Vegan, American, Pizza, Beer/Wine, Take-out

First Review by ohmylatte

nice place! - Edit

i've had dinner here and had huge difficulties deciding - mainly because i could hardly find any vegetables on the menu... i ended up ordering the mixed starter plate and some broccoli as a side.
the mixed plate was nice and while there were some parts that i didn't like too much (sausage inside the pastry, vegan cheese on the potato skins) other components were really good - and altogether it was all interesting and decent food! i just wish there had been more healthy parts on the table than two pieces of carrots. the broccoli was fine but not seasoned so nothing special either.
my friend had a portobello sandwich and really liked it!

i had a coconut cupcake as dessert and that was REALLY nice (and the main reason giving 4 stars, not 3).

Pros: many options, location & service, desserts

Cons: menu not very healthy

Reasonable prices, great food - Edit

I can understand that some might criticize this restaurant because they serve some frozen Gardein products, but in my opinion, this is what more restaurants need to do in order to help non-vegetarian people break their addiction to meat. The menu is very unusual for a vegan restaurant, because the item descriptions look just like those you would see on a meat-serving restaurant's menu. You can order a BBQ sandwich, pizza, hamburger, turkey cutlets, chicken, and just about any "meat" item you can imagine. It's very easy to order, because the vegan items are named by their meat analog, rather than some obscure name that might leave people wondering what they are ordering. When we were on vacation, we ate here three times. It was that good! The prices are very reasonable, too. I wish we had one in my town.

Pros: Great selection and quality, Reasonable prices, Family-run operation

Good Place - Edit

We went here twice when visiting Memphis. For our lunch we had amazing service and the food was good. It is a bit 'straightforward' food - gardien products.
Their appetizers were really good, would recommend the wings!
We went back for dinner and had a burger and raviolis. The burger was good but their raviolis were blend but good tomato sauce.

Great Restaurant! - Edit

Imagine is a wonderful place. It's run by a great family who puts their heart into providing delicious vegan fare.

Pros: Great owners.

Cons: None!

frozen gardein products only - Edit

as a long time vegan, I recognized the menu as items that gardein sells frozen and prepackaged, so I asked the counter person if in fact the food was gardein, she informed me that it in fact, was all frozen food.
other customers complained of waiting over 30 minutes for a pizza, which even after I had finished eating what tasted like microwaved fries, they still had not received.
I went here solely because it was all vegan, but the food quality was incredibly horrible and disappointing.

Pros: near comic store, record store, book store

Cons: frozen prepackaged gardein food

Good Food, Great Service!! - Edit

We are from Montreal and travel a lot for work, eat on the road often!

This place is a great choice for Vegans and Vegetarians alike in Memphis!

All our food was very fresh, tasty, and uniquely prepared. My only suggestion would be to work on the outside decor a little in order to attract more customers. It's not obviously a restaurant from the outside.

Pros: food quality, menu and choice, service

Cons: location, decorations/location presentation

Great vegan spot - Edit

Our family stopped here on a recent trip through Memphis and loved our food and experience. The location was off the beaten path but easy to find. The staff was welcoming and fun. We enjoyed the sampler appetizer, the bbq plate (even though they were out of slaw), soup and more. Our daughter (7) loved the vegan dogs in blankets and the veggie soup. The shrimp po'boy had great flavor but the texture of the shrimp was a little hard to swallow. We would definitely return the next time we are in Memphis.

Pros: Great Food, Cozy location, Great Staff

Cons: Out of some items on the menu, "Shrimp" texture

great vegan comfort food - Edit

If trying to eat healthy stay away, otherwise go! I had the The Big Smack and oh my, a vegan Big Mac thank you very much!! Quaint atmosphere with yummy food. Was sad that their blender was broken because I really wanted a shake since in my little vegan world is very hard to find.

Delicious Southern Food - Edit

This place was great! We had the Chilli Fries, the Meatball Sub and the Chicken and Waffle. Good southern home style cooking. I wanted to try some Southern food and this place was great for it.

Always Good! - Edit

I've eaten here a few times now and everything I've tried has been Great!!! Would highly recommend!!

Pros: All Vegan, Friendly staff, Great Food

Positive and Homey - Edit

I was travelling through Memphis and decided to stop for lunch. It wasn't too far off the main hwy. The area looked a little rough and was one in a row of houses that were now zoned for commercial use, but despite the bars on windows, I was hungry. Once I stepped inside I was greeted by a very nice lady and positive messages/art posted everywhere. The place had a very uplifting ambiance and was clean. I was dazzled by all of the desserts and snacks at the counter. The menu was a bit overwhelming as there were so many options! They were out of the ruben which is what I normally try first at any new vegan restaurant, so I ordered the BLT w/avacado, mac n' cheese, and the Savannah smoothie.It was all very tasty and brought back memories of my mom's cooking even though nothing on my plate was burnt. My only complaint about the dish is my "bacon" was a little more crispy than I would've liked. I'd still eat it again though. I got a brownie and a couple of candy bars to go. I ate the brownie while I was driving which was a bit difficult because it was actually a very moist cake and not a chewy brownie. It was still very yummy. I will stop by again the next time I travel through Memphis.

Pros: Homestyle cooking, Very positive, Many Menu Choices

Cons: Neighborhood looks rough

Expected a lot more... - Edit

I really, really wanted to like this place. But right off the bat, I could tell that this food was pretty much just frozen food reheated and it tasted like I could easily make this food in my sleep. I will give it that the entire menu is vegan, so that's absolutely amazing. The restaurant was also really eclectic. It's essentially a house filled with pro animal and human rights memorabilia all over the place, which was awesome to see. I recommend going just to go, but just don't go in with as high expectations as I did.

Pros: Friendly staff, All vegan menu, Eclectic scenery

Cons: Reheated frozen food, Location

Awesome place - Edit

The imagine vegan café is an oasis amongst a dreary suburb. I almost didn't believe that I was actually approaching and all vegan eatery. Seeing as I was on the road I showed up before their opening time; however, the friendly staff let me in anyways and serve me a delicious buffalo burger. He ambience of the restaurant was also very pleasing and reminiscent of southern soul.

wonderful! - Edit

so glad we stopped here on our trip through Memphis! i dont have one complaint except that i wish i could come back soon and try everything! the staff was wonderful...very friendly and welcoming. the food was great,the portions you get for price are really decent,and the restaurant itself is really groovy! this is a MUST stop if you're in the Memphis area!!!

Pros: everything is vegan, great atmosphere , price

Cons: none

Hit or Miss - Depends on the Staff - Edit

My wife and I have eaten here twice in the last couple months and both times have been absolutely the opposite of each other.

1st: Waiter let us sit where we wanted, so we chose a private back room with 3 tables in it, and we were by ourselves. The food was amazing, although they didn't have everything on the menu we wanted, and the waiter was very attentive and made sure we left happy.
2nd: We were in a hurry, but figured the service was so great the first time we could make it. We arrived at 1:15 PM on a Sunday afternoon, and were told to sit right by the front door even though there was plenty of available seating. Our waitress brought our menus about 5 minutes later. We ordered our food, a couple sandwiches and simple appetizers, and waited. 15 minutes later the waitress remembered she'd left the menus at our table and retrieved them. Then we waited. And waited. At 2:20 my wife started complaining. The waitress finally refilled our empty waters. "Let's go!" my wife not-so-quietly whispered to me. I assured her that the kitchen girl was quite busy as I could see into the kitchen from my chair. So we waited. "We have to determine a time when we are getting up, walking out that door, and going to Taco Bell." Using the power of persuasion, I got her to agree to wait until 1:40.

At 1:37 part of our order arrived, including the cold french fries that were left on the plate for an hour or so.

Yes, it took an hour and a half to get our food. By then the food tasted as bad as the service.

Pros: Food , Variety, Support Animal Rescue Corps

Cons: Service, Bathroom is wonky, Don't have everything on the menu.

Absolutely delicious food! - Edit

Passing through on a road trip and we ordered literally every appetizer on the menu! It was so worth it, the food kept us going state-by-state and made every mile delicious! Love the groovy feel of the restaurant. Would definitely come back!

Great - Edit

This place is great. I had the portabello hoagie, and it was delicious; though a bit greasy. If you have a nut allergy, you will have to ask as they don't label this allergen on their menu. After you finish your dinner, they also have a great selection of fresh desserts.

Outstanding Food - Edit

Don't let the outside of this place fool you this is a serious vegan food place. My Memphis Platter which is BBQ sandwich with coleslaw on it was great and my daughter's shrimp poor boy sandwich was one of the best vegan or real in New Orleans. We ended with the cookie cake which was unbelievable. Anytime I'm in Memphis I'm going here.

Return to Memphis Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Imagine Vegan Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.