First Review by Tim Denny

Lovely food, place OK - Edit

Samosa: very good!

Dhal (lentil curry): fresh taste but nothing special. A bit too wet for my taste.

Palak Rajmah (spinach and kidney bean curry): tasty with distinct spinach taste.

Chana Masala (chickpea curry): a bit hotter than the other dishes. Also very good.

Pros: Good menu, short waiting time, legumes!

5 stars - Edit

Happy Cow will only let me give it four because it serves meat, but this was the best Indian food I've had in a long time.

To get here you have to go down a dark side street, and from the outside this place isn't so appealing. Don't let that put you off, because it was absolutely wonderful.

I had samosas, a garlic naan, a curry, fancy rice, a salad, and a pineapple smoothie, and my bill only came to 52,000 kip (just over £4). All of it was delicious, Jamil Zahid was a really nice guy, and although lacking English, the other staff here were really friendly as well. Just be prepared to smile for a photo for their Facebook page.

A must-visit restaurant if you're in Vientiane and you like Indian food.

Pros: Delicious, Great value, Friendly staff

Loved this place!! - Edit

I over ordered!! what can I say. ...I had the samosas...delightful and not greasy at all. .a garlic naan (fabulous) and the aloo mutter and the vegetable soup...what I didn't eat the owner kindly bagged up for me to go...I wasn't going to waste it!! highly recommended!

Pros: lots of vegan options

Cons: inexpensive

Amazing Indian Food - Edit

After spending 6 months in India, I would have never thought that I would find an Indian restaurant that matches the food I ate there. Though hard to find, Zamil's restaurant is a hidden gem in an unsuspecting back alley, serving some wonderful food at very reasonable prices. The chana masala, palak paneer, malai kofta and garlic naan were all delicious. The owner is a great guy as well. Highly recommended!

Pros: Taste, Location, Price

Good Indian - Edit

I wish I had more time to taste everything in the menu.
Traditional Indian.
Very rare to get tomatoes and cucumber salad serve with meals and they do this properly.

Aside from the owner being Facebook crazy advertising by taking customers picture and posting it up, friendly atmosphere.

Indian guy married and lives with his Laos Indian children family run business.

Pros: Convenient, Close, Cheap

Cons: Owner Advertsiement

Good Indian food - Edit

Real vegan food without mock meat is hard to find in Laos, so Indian is a good go-to. Jamil Zahid is located just two blocks from the popular Sihome Guesthouse (go out left, take the next two lefts) and has really delicious food.

It's reasonably priced, offers free drinking water, has incredible shakes, and is really accommodating to vegans (just explain when you're ordering). The customers are a mix of Westerners and locals, and the owner is really passionate about the success of the place. If there's a problem, he will fix it. He does sometimes ask to take pictures while you eat for his website, which we found endearing but others might find weird. We tried a variety of meals, returning there everyday we were in Vientiane. I would definitely recommend this place to meat eaters and vegos alike. Try the Dhal Tarkka and samosas, they were really great.

Pros: delicious, filling food for cheap, friendly staff, if not a bit overbearing, quiet atmosphere

Interesting, Down an Alley, Good Food - Edit

A little hard to find. Good food. Map is right.

Owner likes to take pictures, videos. once asked for a handwritten review. other than that he is a nice, and funny guy.

Best way is to go down Rue Hengboun to the end, go left and immediately right down a little alley, you'll see a sign for it and an STD clinic, (hilarious landmark), then it's just a little farther down.

Pros: good value, friendly staff, good food

Cons: owner can be a little impositioning, hard to find

excellent Pakistani/Indian foods in VTE - Edit

a bit hard to find but well worth the extra effort. Mostly frequented by locals in the know as it is away from the tourist areas yet still central. Fresh made nan in an authentic charcoal fired tandori oven. Semi-outdoor seating, rustic yet comfortable. Lots of veggie/vegan options.

Pros: affordable foods, good selection, great tastes

Cons: hard to find, serves meat

Return to Vientiane Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Jamil Zahid closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1259 times since Feb 2012.