Shama Vegetarian Indian Restaurant

06-65366669

Kurasho Bldg, B1. 1-3-7, Kitahorie, Nishi-ku, Osaka, Japan, 550-0014

Vegetarian Indian food menu offering dishes like soy meat tikka, eggplant keema curry with minced gluten meat, and tikka with soy ham. Almost all dishes can be made vegan. Location is in Yotsubashi at 大阪府大阪市西区北堀江1-3-7 倉商ビルB1, Yotsubashi station exit 6. Uses no onion or garlic (不含五辛). This restaurant is a NPO running an orphanage and school in Bihar, India so you can donate by eating here. Has menu in Chinese. Also sells natural cosmetics and toothpaste from India. Open Mon-Sun 11:00am-3:00pm, Tue-Sun 5:00pm-10:00pm. Kitchen stops 9pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Indian

First Review by David Ward

Nice Indian Food! - Edit

Not easy to find vegetarian food in Osaka but we were lucky enough to find this place and dine here twice during our short 9 day stay in Osaka.

Love the spinach Naan with their curries.

Friendly staff, easy to find location near Yotsubashi Station.

Pros: Nice Indian Food that warm us up in cold Osaka., Easy to find location., Friendly staff

Cons: Serving size small. Even with paneer.

Amazing! - Edit

This was maybe the most amazing Indian food I have ever had. Although, do make sure to specify you want the vegan naan. My meal was reasonably priced and came with so many dishes, I was stuffed!

Pros: Delicious Food, Great Value

Cons: Small Restaurant, Difficult to communicate with wait staff

Friendly staff with yummy food! - Edit

After arriving very late for dinner (9pm) the staff could not have been more accomodating. We mostly let the waiter choose the best vegan options for the dinner set menu and was pleasantly surprised with the food. There was entree of samosa and pakora which was delicious and then 2 curries with naan (vegan available!!). The curries were good, nothing out of the world but being able to have naan definitely made up for it. Finished with chai tea and an interesting sesame and soy milk dessert made for a lovely night. I recommend this place for a quick and yummy dinner.

Note that they do not serve alcohol here.

Good Value - Edit

Tasty samosas, nice dal fry but it was qay too small, approx just 3 spoonfuls. I wasn't sure about the paratha, I was informed it was vegan, but it seemed like it might be made with egg, can't be sure though, I'd recommend any vegans to double check. Also, one of the chefs/waiters seemed a little strange, I asked in Japanese to make the curry very spicy, he just looked scared and ran into the kitchen :/

Pros: Samosas, Good price, quite low cost actually

Cons: Small curry, Doesn't sell alcohol

Shama Vegetarian, Osaka - Edit

This place is easy to find. The set lunch deals they offer are pretty decent value.

Pros: Vegan friendly

Very Nice Indian Restaurant - Edit

This indian restaurant is very nice, small but with very nice staff and the kitchen is just right behind. All meals can be turned vegan and it is really delicious as well as not expensive especially for lunch.

Pros: Delicious, Good value, Friendly

tasty Indian food - Edit

Great food, authentic Indian food with a great mint and coriander spicy chutney, it looks a little shabby, however the food is awesome and the gents that work there are lovely. Plus it's all for a good cause, the guys working there have opened 3 schools with the proceeds. Kudos

Good Indian Food in Osaka - Edit

I love Indian food so was excited to try Shama Vegetarian Indian! The staff are incredibly friendly and helpful in pointing out what is and isn't vegan. I had a dinner set with a bunch of different items, the best being the samosa and naan. The curries were meant to be different but tasted the same. If located nearby it's worth popping in to try, I haven't had naan since going vegan so that was particularly exciting!

Pros: Vegan naan, Plenty of options, Friendly staff

Cons: Lacking in atmosphere

Lovely people and great food! - Edit

Everytime I've been to Osaka (5 times) I have visited this restaurant and it never fails to impress me. The food it traditional and reminds me of home cooked food my mum makes. The staff speak English and there is an English menu available. One time I visited the restaurant and they were closed for a private event, but the owner recognised me and let me join! Super friendly.

Delicious and reasonable! - Edit

A small but somewhat cozy Indian/Hare Krishna restaurant very close to the Shinsaibashi area. This was my first visit and I was pleasantly surprised with both the food quality and service. You can order by set or a la carte. I tried the Veg Pakora Dinner set which was really tasty and included: 2 types of curry (4 to choose from and changes daily), a samosa, pakora (6pcs), soup, salad, rice, naan, a drink, and dessert - all for only ¥1500! (incl. tax). Oh, and spiced pickles and green hot sauce on the table. I'll be back the next time I'm in Osaka!

Pros: Great food, Great service, Great value

Cons: Closed on Monday evenings

Better than EVERY Indian at home - Edit

Home = Germany.
Had to go to Japan to find this place - BY ACCIDENT.
Cheap in price, great in quality.
Veggie, vegan if requested, Jain option - what else could one dream of.
So happy!

Cheap veg*n food and lots of it! - Edit

PRICE: truly cheap

FOOD: good but nothing special, I liked the curry better than the noodles, I was sceptic about the goma dessert but it was actually really good (soft fresh taste not at all like goma-dōfu), portions are huge so go hungry :)

INTERIOR: basement floor, not fancy but cosy enough, clean modern toilet

Pros: really cheap!, big portions

Cons: food isn't spectacularly good, not so fancy interior

Essential - Edit

Osaka was maddeningly difficult for veggie food; not only due to the lack of non-meat options in regular restaurants, but also because places listed on HC were hard to find (buildings appeared to house multiple businesses, and aren't always clearly visible from the outside). However, this restaurant was easy to find from the map on this site, and visible from the street. The menu was in English and the staff also spoke English. But most important of all the food was wholesome and delicious, not to mention cheap compared to regular restaurants in the city.

Pros: Location, Food , Price

Very good! - Edit

I've been there three times so far and I love the food. I had vegan naan for the first time there since I became vegan, which was amazing! The staff is very friendly, and the restaurant has a nice atmosphere. It's close to the Shinsaibashi shopping street, too!

Happy! - Edit

Cheap & cheerful vegetarian restaurant! :)

I ordered the curry noodle set - Edit

I ordered the curry noodle set. I generally love salads in Japan, but this was sad and too soy sauce-y. The momos skin was too chewy. The soup was fine. The curry noodles themselves were really bad. On the plus side, the location is convenient, and it was pretty cheap.

Try the ladies set meal - Edit

I've been to this restaurant a few times. It's in the heart of Namba/Shinsaibashi so easy to get to and easy to find as it is on the corner of a main road. The ladies set is a really good deal, and there are plenty of vegan curries to choose from. The place is a little small, and can sometimes seem fairly quiet but don't let this distract you from the good food and the good prices.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday November 27, 2013

Pros: Inexpensive, Plenty of choice, Good location

Cons: Bit quiet and small

Nice food - Edit

Of all the places I have been wanting to try in Osaka, this was at the top of my list. Pure-vegan indian food, and operated as a charity to help kids in need back in India...seemed too good to be true. Unfortunately, echoing fellow user JesseD below, I also feel compelled to rate it lower than I want to (but for different reasons).

It isn't because of non-vegan food. Although, I don't know if it is because of JesseD's review or other reasons, but they seem to have acquired almost a paranoia over it, insisting to me on their own over and over with every item they brought out that it was vegan. (In fact, they didn't even seem to hear me, responding to my questions and even my praise of a veg dumpling with the same standard repetition that everything is totally vegan.)

But actually, the problem is just the taste of the food. The curries in particular are just so...bland, and beyond mild. In fact they hardly tasted of any spices at all. The soup was also watery and plain. The fried items were somewhat better, but still, overall, I found the flavours too plain, probably the most bland-tasting curries I ever tried. Compared to my current Tokyo favourite Nataraj Ginza, let alone much spicier places like Vege Herb Saga, there is no comparison. But two great positive things I can say is that the food "felt" good and healthy, and the prices are quite reasonable.

I desperately wanted to like this place more. I still do. But unfortunately the taste just isn't quite there yet. I can recommend it, but there is certainly tastier vegan food available in Japan. Hopefully the recipes can be improved (more spices, especially), and if so, I will be happy to revise this review next time. For now, strictly speaking I think Shama merits a 3, but am bumping it up to a personal 4. I do sincerely wish them success.

Pros: Healthful food, Reasonable prices, NGO/Charity

nandni 19 Nov 2014 - Dear Hangedfare

Please take our deepest apology that our dishes did not meet your expectations. Due to Hare Krysna belief, Our restaurant does not use any garlic or onion, so the taste of curry might be slightly "mild" than other curry restaurants, I will check with the chef immediately. And of course, we will be striving to serve the best vegetarian Indian curry for our dear customers. We do wish you to come back to our restaurant if you are in town,and hopefully next time you will enjoy our curry! Thank you.

Return to Osaka Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Shama Vegetarian Indian Restaurant closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.