Imu

808-742-2111

2290 Poipu Rd (at Poipu Beach Athletic Club, on Kauai), Koloa, Hawaii, USA

Serves meat, vegan options available. Poolside restaurant inside the Club and is open to the public. Health food menu, with vegetarian items. Wrap could be made vegan upon request. Previously named Hapas. Open Mon-Sun 10:30am-8:00pm.

Categories: American, Western, Beer/Wine, Non-veg

First Review by Vegtravel4

Delicious vegan options!!! - Edit

This restaurant has changed names (it's now called Imu), but I still give this place top ratings for its vegan options. The chef is such a nice guy and came out to talk to us about vegan food, and even asked me to send him my vegan feta recipe so he can try it out! The food and drinks were delicious and we left stuffed both times we went. I'm still dreaming about those veggie tacos! I totally understand Happy Cow's policy of only letting reviewers rate fully vegan/veggie restaurants as 5 stars but I'd give this one 5 if I could because I feel there's enough on the menu for vegans to leave stuffed and happy :)

Pros: Delicious, filling vegan options, Super nice,open-minded chef and wife own the place, Yummy drinks

Cons: Can't think of any!

Great mushroom tacos - Edit

We were using the boy who beach athletic club while we were here, it was included in our house rental. Decided to try the vegan mushroom tacos while sitting around the pool, they were amazing. Set up of the restaurant is an outdoor sort of sports bar very relaxed.

Two tasty vegan options in Poipu - Edit

We came to this place because we were staying at the Hyatt and wanted to eat at restaurants outside of our resort. This is easy walking distance from the Hyatt, although you could drive if you're feeling lazy. We noticed the sign from the street and thought we'd check it out.

It's basically a really small athletic/country club with a pool that has bar/restaurant service. It's all outdoor seating and very casual. The drinks were all around $8, which is pretty reasonable for the area.

We opted for the coconut quinoa and mushroom tacos, as we were looking for vegan options and were informed that both are vegan without omitting any ingredients. We had initially wanted to order the falafel burger which, sadly, ended up having egg. We also each had a cocktail.

The mushrooms were cooked extremely well and were served with spicy Granny Smith apples on top. The coconut quinoa was like a chilled salad. The whole presentation was very colorful. We thought the chef could easily be working at one of the higher-end restaurants on the island! I would love to see what else he/she can do with vegan dishes.

My bloody Mary was good, although it was a little weird to get it in a plastic cup. I guess because of the proximity of Hapas to the pool, they can't serve drinks in a glass.

Overall if you're vegan in Poipu and looking for options other than Puka Dog and your resort, this is a good option. You probably won't be able to get much other than the two options I just listed, but they're so tasty that we would go back and get them again.

Return to Koloa Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Imu closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.