Japanese
Non-veg

Serves meat, vegan options available. Sushi bar restaurant but has vegan sushi, quinoa salad, and inari; smoothies and juices and 2 desserts which are vegan (chocolate and spirulina mousse). Specify if vegan.

Venue map for Happy Banana
© OpenStreetMap contributors

First Review by twotrees

SoniChka

Points +261

27 Sep 2023

So delicious and sweet staff

Delicious bowls and other vegeterian and vegan options

bryonyhickson

Points +931

13 Sep 2023

Nice Japanese

Lots of options, vegan ramen was great. Texture of the tofu wasn’t great. My food came with an egg but they just took the dish behind and removed the egg, doesn’t bother me but might other vegans.

Daphne91

Points +30

07 Sep 2023

FANTASTICO!CONSIGLIATO!

Locale molto carino, personale tutto al femminile, super gentile! Il cibo è meraviglioso, il loro sushi vegano è spaziale! Io ho adorato il loto vegan katsu wrap e la loro vegan choccolate mousse, ma ripeto,anche il sushi vale assolutamente la pena assaggiarlo. Noi siamo stati 5 giorni a labuan bajo e tutte le 4 sere abbiamo cenato in questo posto. Consigliata la prenotazione perché è davvero molto frequentato. Se siete a Labuan Bajo,non potete non passare di qui, vegani o non.

SofieNilsson

Points +1319

28 Aug 2023

Decent sushi

The sushi was good, not fantastic but good! The vegan Katsu tofu/chicken was not good at all. It wasn't tofu it was a gooey orange thing that barley had any taste.

You can order from them on grab!

NatalieHarris0501

Points +52

31 Jul 2023

Lovely place in LB

The Vegan options were well marked, the food was incredible. Smiling happy people and delicious vegan food

Updated from previous review on 2023-07-31

Pros: Tasty , Lovely people, Protein dishes

Cons: Non!

CarryOnOnly

Points +320

11 Jun 2023

Eclectic

Inside the restaurant is a very eclectic vibe. With pictures of naked women next to the Hindu god Ganesh, next to blue and white China, next to books about Bolivia! It’s not boring! They have clearly marked vegan options. I had vegan ramen bowl which unfortunately had barely any flavour. It was very bland. The raw snickers bar was perfect and very delicious!

Pros: Eclectic restaurant , Delicious dessert

Cons: Pricey

microfauna

Points +1872

11 Nov 2022

Most, Best V Options in LB

Happy Banana is a Japanese-style restaurant on the east side of town. It’s a bit pricey compared to other places, but it’s your best bet for a delicious vegan meal.

The ambience is relaxing and classy and the service is attentive.

The vegan rolls were top quality while the wrap had a nice tortilla but was too bland for my taste. Maybe those who don’t like strong flavors will enjoy it.

Updated from previous review on 2022-11-11

Pros: Best vegan options in all the town

Cons: Pricey

Lillebror

Points +242

06 Nov 2022

Quite a lot of vegan options

We had the vegan protein bowl, sushi and chocolate mousse which was all good, especially the chocolate mousse!

SophY_Travels

Points +398

11 Oct 2022

Ate here every day - yum!

Luckily we found this place on the first night. The staff understood vegan and it was clearly marked. The food was very tasty, lots of options.

Cosy interior too.

Pros: Lots of clearly marked vegan options, Cosy interior , Great location

JessieNelson

Points +96

14 Aug 2022

Cute place to chill

Delicious little restaurant in town. Lots of marked veggie and vegan options. Friendly and helpful staff.

Pros: Plenty of marked veggie, Vegan options available

Cons: Tourist prices but that’s to be expected

rcf717

Points +196

23 Jun 2022

Best veg friendly place in LBJ

LBJ isn’t very vegan friendly (and covid has closed a lot of restaurants that were previously an option), but this place is great!! I went here several times over the course of 2 weeks, working my way through the menu, and can’t say I didn’t like anything. The vegan katsu wrap, the geisha bowl (very filling!), and the teriyaki tofu nigiri were my favorites. The smoothies were also delicious! Sadly, they got rid of their vegan ramen and vegan udon, which would have been great to try. A little pricy, but not the worst

Pros: Lots of vegan options

Cons: Expensive (tourist prices)

Nieve

Points +3840

09 Jun 2022

Plenty of clearly marked veg options

Vegan options included a few sushi rolls, bowls, noodles, gyozas, soup, wraps, and more. I had the pachamama roll and some miso soup and both were quite nice! Tourist prices but not too high.

BrenMerlino

Points +24

07 Jun 2022

Good vegan options, I had a bowl that was amazing. The place is beautiful,

Offering to change some eggs for another vegetable

ThomasdeHeus

Points +853

09 Feb 2020

So so good

This place is awesome! Vegan and vegetarian clearly marked on the menu. After travelling through Japan last year, this was actually the best vegan Japanese food I'd ever had - in Indonesia! Pretty expensive but well worth the cost, try the tempura and ramen.

Clur

Points +228

26 Nov 2019

Fresh tasty food

Came here a few times as it was just around the corner from my hostel; the first time for dinner when I had the mie goreng. It was really lovely and tasted really fresh and healthy. Not the biggest portion though. I did have this a second time and also followed it up with the raw snickers slice which I really enjoyed.

The second time I came for a breakfast; unfortunately the coconut yoghurt was out of stock so I couldn’t have the vegan banana split. I settled on the cacao quinoa granola with soy milk. It was really good, with generous portions of fruit but quite expensive once you add on the tax.

Updated from previous review on 2019-11-26

Pros: Fresh tasting, Good vegan options, Breakfast huge

Cons: Dinner portion not the biggest

VickiNewMath

Points +707

11 Nov 2019

Enough options to keep coming back

I wish my stomach could hold every vegan menu item. They even have a vegan banana split for breakfast I have to come back for!

Pros: A lot of vegan options

Cons: Service is ok

emzie1983

Points +678

23 Oct 2019

Healthy varied selections

Big choice of healthy food, Japanese inspired. Interesting and big selection of juices and smoothie
Salad bowls were very tasty, good mix of food and nice dressing - about 4 vegan options. Gyoza really nice - crispy and stuffed full of tasty filling! Very fresh and crispy veg tempura. Choc mousse and raw snickers bar desserts were delicious and very rich and chocolatey
Breakfasts served until 2pm, sandwiches until 5pm, so never managed to get those!

Pros: Good selection of food with vegan labelled, Healthy, Very tasty!

Cons: Quite pricey

Kailchip

Points +93

16 Oct 2019

Happy at Happy Banana!

Hearty and delicious meals for veg and non veg friends. Favorites were the smoothies and sushi rolls (especially the Buddha roll). We just kept coming back for more! Also the coconut coffee was to die for.

pascaleehd

Points +356

14 Oct 2019

Not bad

Stopped by here for a breakfast. Had vegan wrap and bf had vegetarian breakfast vegan style. Both were pretty good. There was loadsss of other vegan options available so I’m sure if we had the time we would have returned to try out a few more things. The restaurant and a weird smell though which made me feel a little queasy - we suspect it was maybe the fish that they use for the non-vegan sushi’s.

Pros: Lots of vegan options , Good food

Cons: Bit expensive , Restaurant smelt funny

kateo921

Points +76

24 Sep 2019

Pretty good. Air conditioning!

I had the vegan wrap- not bad. If you’re vegan and you order an iced coffee, make sure to specify no milk because the default is with milk. Nice service. I appreciated the air conditioning.

becwallis

Points +298

01 Sep 2019

Huge portions, healthy options

A little expensive but huge portions, salad was lovely and so big! Staff also really nice.

Pros: Healthy options , Helpful staff

Cons: Expensive

vinks

Points +470

31 Aug 2019

So much choice!

This place has a massive menu with lots of vegan options or things that can be made vegan. It isn't cheap but my smoothie bowl here was worth it. There is a nice ambience inside. 11% tax added on top from memory.

ThroughTheLens

Points +304

28 Jun 2019

Amazing, healthy food, very filling!

My Fiancée ate here for dinner and both had the protein power Buddha bowls.
They were huge (but thr perfect size really) and packed full of hummus and quinoa and tofu, tempeh, mushrooms, beans, the lot. Delicious!
We also each had a vegan smoothie and both were among the best smoothies I'd ever tasted! Closer to a vegan milkshake than a smoothie but damn good and not to be missed.

A must for anyone staying in the area, especially veggie or vegans

Pros: Lots of vegan options, very tasty

Cons: Not particularly cheap for Indonesian standards

mjveganfitness

Points +1669

11 Mar 2019

Would give 5 stars

We went here as it was my husbands birthday whilst on the island and we wanted somewhere a little “nicer” to sit and have dinner. The decor is cool and quirky and you can dress up a little and not feel out of place but also go super casual too. We ordered a lot of food! The menu specifies vegan clearly or items that can be made vegan and the staff are super friendly and helpful with this too. We had the veggie ramen, two different types of vegan sushi one had a vegan cheese in and the other tofu and avocado both really nice. We also had the chocolate mousse for dessert which is SO good and it’s so nice to have a vegan option for dessert too!

We also went back two days later for breakfast. Again they have a very varied menu offering cold and hot breakfasts. So many smoothies to choose from - probably the best place to grab a decent vegan breakfast in the area. Huge portions. Would recommend the chia bowl and protein smoothie too. They offer plant milks and superfoods to top up your meals such as maca/flax/spirulina etc. A must visit.

Pros: Clearly labelled vegan options, Delicious food, Very good WiFi

Cons: Serves meat and fish

LauraPrice

Points +76

08 Mar 2019

Vegan sushi!

My husband and I shared 2 vegan sushi plates and the vegan gyoza - it was all really tasty! More expensive than other places in the area but to be expected as there is more of a western feel. Would visit again!

LouiseReker

Points +132

15 Feb 2019

So many delicious vegan and vegetarian dishes.

We found Happy Banana here on Happy Cow and tried it out. They had so many delicious vegan dishes that we couldnt even choose. We had the vegan Falafel and a chokolatw mouse. SO good. We are getting back again tomorrow to have there sushi for dinner 😊

Pros: Lots og vegan dishes

Cons: Expensive. Many dishes around 80-120 rp

CamillaVeganHansen

Points +86

10 Jan 2019

YUM😍

Amazing vegan food!!! Menu states which dishes are vegan and the staff is also helpful at telling you what can be made vegan. The geisha bowl was so yum and all the vegan sushi was so amazing!

Pros: Delicious food, Friendly staff, Fair price for amazing food