Georgie's Diner

Contact 203-933-1000

427 Elm St, West Haven, Connecticut, USA, 06516

Serves meat, vegan options available. Diner with vegan and gluten free options available. Try the vegan crab cakes. Open Mon-Sun 7:00am-11:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, Take-out, Non-veg

First Review by Sarah P

Lots of choices for diverse tastes - Edit

They have a vegan and gluten free menu. I had a delicious breakfast burrito with tofu and avocado. Delicious. Perfect stop for a meal at any time of day!

Pros: many choices, good service, good food

a hidden gem! - Edit

I was very pleasantly surprised. Cozy retro diner look with all kinds of options available. My daughter is vegan and had the tempeh Reuben sandwich and loved it. Nice selection of vegan, vegetarian and other foods so nobody is disappointed. Super friendly service and I could tell by conversations they have a good amount of regulars. Several vegan desserts were available and we took one to-go. some might think the desserts are pricey but it's gourmet quality, priced comparable to other vegan restaurant dessert AND enough for 2 people that you can split it- at least we think so. We found our new favorite lunch/dinner spot when we shop in Orange.

Pros: nice selection of menu items, ample vegan options, tasty!!!

Cons: can't think of any except I wish it was closer to

Been here a few times, never again - Edit

I've eaten at Georgie's Diner three separate times in my life, and each time was slightly worse than the one before it. There is the extremely bland BBQ tofu wrap which tastes like it somehow had all the flavor cooked out of it, the excessively acrid portobella sandwich (which is still the best thing I've eaten from here), and the vegan burrito which is quite frankly, disgusting. I never thought I could have a bad burrito, even Taco Bell can pull this off. Excessively dry, unseasoned and basically tasting like burnt beans. Prices are honestly a little bit too high as well. Would avoid unless you're in a pinch and absolutely have nowhere else to turn for food.

Classic diner, veg-friendly - Edit

What a nice surprise to find a classic-looking diner - with all the expected furnishings, floor/ceiling, and decor - that's actually quite veg friendly! Others have cited the tempeh reuben, which is indeed well done, and there are frequently veg specials worth checking out as well. They also do non-vegan egg dishes quite well, and this is one of the only places I've ever seen - diner or otherwise - that had a gluten-free section on their menu!

Georgie's manages to cater to people with all types of eating preferences/restrictions, while still delivering reliable, hearty diner fare.

Pros: gorgeous diner

Cons: it's in West Haven

Only Place For A Vegetarian To Get A Reuben - Edit

I've been to Georgie's only a handful of times, but I have always been satisfied with my dining experience. I have tried a few menu items, but my favorite is the vegetarian reuben. I am absolutely in love with it. since becoming a vegetarian 4 years ago, I have occasionally missed having a reuben sandwich. I went there with a friend for the first time and she suggested it. Now, I can't help but order it almost every time. The atmosphere is comfortable and what you'd expect from a diner, and the wait staff is friendly and helpful. On warmer days, it's wonderful to sit on the patio by the flowers to eat and sip mimosas. It's a little far from my home, but it's very easy to find. If you decide to visit, you can take your non-veg friends along too! They have a menu that suits meat eaters too, with items like fried chicken and burgers. Definitely a place to try.

Pros: Patio Seating, Friendly Staff, Accomodating Menu

Great place for Vegans and Non-Vegans to go - Edit

There are about 6-8 vegan options including chili with couscous, tempeh reuben, pasta, french fries, hummus platter, veggie burger and one or two others. The prices recently went up so be prepared to pay $10+ for any of the vegan items. The chili is by far my favorite and you get a decent sized portion (enough to eat half and take the other half home). You'll want to save room for the vegan chocolate cake w/bananas...depending on server you'll likely get a pretty big piece (eat half and take the other half home to eat when you finish off the rest of the chili). In the summer it's great to sit outside. Friendly waitstaff.

good for a non-vegan diner - Edit

I ate at Georgie's Saturday night around 10 PM with a friend. We ordered a special that was tofu piccata- seasoned tofu with mashed potatoes and special gravy- and linguini with bulgur "meatballs". The tofu was the favored option, and was delicious. The "meatballs", while very tasty, did not hold together but became mush. The salads were not very fresh, but were edible.

The atmosphere was fun- as a typical roadside diner- and our server was exceptionally friendly and helpful.

Other menu items included a hummus/falafel plate, tofu scramble, and a "chocolate drift" cake that I did not order this time but have had at another location that used to be divine.

I would definitely stop at Georgie's again if I was driving by and needed a vegan meal, but I would not go out of my way for a meal there.

Pros: good vegan diner food, friendly staff, good portions

Cons: quality a bit lacking

Return to West Haven Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Georgie's Diner closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 1469 times since Oct 2010.