CLOSED: Freckles

Contact n/a

Nostitzstr. 33, Berlin-Kreuzberg, Berlin, Germany, 10965

Vegan cafe near Bergmannstr, opened Mar 2012. Serves an assortment of cakes, soups, quiche, and beverages including coffee, tea, hot chocolate, and lemonade. Dishes are marked if gluten-free or nut-free. Cozy wood burning stove inside. Confirmed closed, Jan 2017. Open Mon-Sun 12:00pm-6:00pm.

Category: Vegan, Take-out, Bakery, European, German

First Review by Elizabeth

Veeegan cakes!! - Edit

Mind blowing vegan home made cakes created and served with love. Coffee is also very decent. Location is unbeatable (near Bergmannstrasse). I'd come here every now and then when I'm around

Pros: Awesome cakes!, Good lattes, Everything's vegan!

Limited GF options - Edit

Everything is vegan, but there aren't many gluten-free items. Staff speak some English but are very unfriendly and grumpy.

This tiny shop was only open 12 noon to 5 pm (17:00). Made a big effort to get there an hour before they closed, but the soup and salad were already sold out. There were a few pretty GF cakes/pies that hadn't been cut, which they said were "for tomorrow" and refused to sell. Disappointing! Only thing left was a slice of VERY bitter dark chocolate cake and some small chocolate/coconut chunks.

If you are vegan with no allergies, you'd probably like this place, but if you have nut allergies or celiac, this bakery could be very frustrating.

Pros: indoor seating area

Cons: unfriendly staff, ingredients are not listed, limited hours

Limited options - Edit

I did not have breakfast yet, so I wanted something savory. I can't say anything about the cakes, but I was a bit disappointed with the other food options. There were not so many options. Soup or a panini with optional salad. I had a panini, which was not bad but also not really special. I was still hungry afterwards.
I might go again if I'm in the neighborhood but I wouldn't put too much effort in.

Pros: Cosy place

Cons: Limited options

Delicious! :) - Edit

Nice, cosy place with very friendly staff. Unfortunately there are only a few seats outside.
Had some cheesecake and coconut water - definitely a MUST HAVE. Love it. :)

Pros: vegan only , delicious , friendly staff

Cons: only a few seats outside

Delicious and cozy - Edit

Whenever I crave quiche, it has to be Freckles! They always have delicious coffees and desserts, but if you want to have a quick lunch the quiche-and-salad combo is the best :) It's also cozy and off the beaten track, and now there's a Veganz nearby :)

Pros: tasty food, excellent coffee, inexpensive

good deserts, average mains - Edit

had lunch here today and was a little disappointed.
a really nice cafe with lovely staff, just a bit limited. we had the quiche which was really good and by far the best main course. it was spinach and was really creamy with good pastry. we also had a panini with vegan cheese, and was bland. I had the special salad which was really bland with too much Mayo.
I'm really bored of places just ticking vegan Mayo or vegan cheese and that's it, just as bad as bland cafes doing meat with too much cheese and Mayo.
we had two cakes between the three of us, each were really really good.
I like the cafe, just think they need to make more effort with the panini and salads. if you do come here, get the quiche, it's great.

Pros: staff, nice space, cake

Cons: lack of choice

Great café - Edit

We went to Freckles for a late sunday breakfast/lunch. We had: paninos, pumpkin spiced latte, hasselnuss latte, brownie, oreo cake and black coffee. Everything was 100%! 10 out of 10! Highly recomended!

Pros: 100% vegan, Cakes

Cons: May be hard to find a place to sit?

a place to try - Edit

Wenn you dream of a classic cream cake (but a vegan version) that the place to go! they also have some gluten free cake. It is not the healthiest place to have a vegan cake (they use sugar, wheat and lot of soy) but it is really delicious and beautifully made. The staff is always really nice and the rooms are very cosy and nicely decorated. Great place to show "milk product lover" that alternative exist and that it is still delicious, even better.
I would love see them experimenting with less soy product and more gluten free sugar free version, because they are good at what they do!

Pros: good cake, nice cosy place, friendly staff

Yummy cakes! - Edit

Berlin has so many options and we are desperately trying to fit them all in! I had a salted caramel hot chocolate (big glass) which was one of the best hot chocolates ever. We also had a chocolate cake and a wildberry cake. Both were delicious.

Pros: area, service

The best vegan cakes ever - Edit

I have been to this place so many times that I can say all of their cakes taste amazing. I usually get 2 pieces at once because I am really missing that type of cakes in other countries. The cafe is quite small, in rush hours it might get cozy. The stuff is nice and always very open for a chat.

Pros: Delicious, Delicious, Delicious

Oh my goodness, it does not get better than this. - Edit

This small little vegan eatery is so amazing. My spouse and I had the best ever vegan cheesecake in the world. Truly. It was so delicious, even if you are not vegan, you would adore this. It was rich and creamy and tasted like the cheesecakes of an earlier time, when they were made with love and the very best ingredients.
We also had vegan quiche, yes vegan quiche. I have been vegan since 1990, my spouse since 1991. We have not had quiche in that long. It was fabulous. In addition, I had a mocha cake and he had a brownie, chocolate cake, and beet soup. (Yes, we are gargantuan eaters when we find vegan delectables. The service was great. The atmosphere sweet and cozy. This is a must if you are a vegan and in Berlin. This should be a must for anyone who wants wonderful food prepared with peace and love.

Pros: Amazing cakes, You can get vegan quiche!, Quaint and cozy

Return to Berlin Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has CLOSED: Freckles closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.