Freckles

Contact 03069004461

Nostitzstr. 33, Berlin-Kreuzberg, Berlin, Germany, 10965

Vegan cafe near Bergmannstr, opened Mar 2012. Serves an assortment of cakes, soups, quiche, and beverages including coffee, tea, hot chocolate, and lemonade. Dishes are marked if gluten-free or nut-free. Cozy wood burning stove inside. Mon-Sun 12:00pm-5:00pm

Category: Vegan, Take-out, Bakery, European, German

First Review by Elizabeth

Limited GF options - Edit

Everything is vegan, but there aren't many gluten-free items. Staff speak some English but are very unfriendly and grumpy.

This tiny shop was only open 12 noon to 5 pm (17:00). Made a big effort to get there an hour before they closed, but the soup and salad were already sold out. There were a few pretty GF cakes/pies that hadn't been cut, which they said were "for tomorrow" and refused to sell. Disappointing! Only thing left was a slice of VERY bitter dark chocolate cake and some small chocolate/coconut chunks.

If you are vegan with no allergies, you'd probably like this place, but if you have nut allergies or celiac, this bakery could be very frustrating.

Pros: indoor seating area

Cons: unfriendly staff, ingredients are not listed, limited hours

Limited options - Edit

I did not have breakfast yet, so I wanted something savory. I can't say anything about the cakes, but I was a bit disappointed with the other food options. There were not so many options. Soup or a panini with optional salad. I had a panini, which was not bad but also not really special. I was still hungry afterwards.
I might go again if I'm in the neighborhood but I wouldn't put too much effort in.

Pros: Cosy place

Cons: Limited options

Delicious! :) - Edit

Nice, cosy place with very friendly staff. Unfortunately there are only a few seats outside.
Had some cheesecake and coconut water - definitely a MUST HAVE. Love it. :)

Pros: vegan only , delicious , friendly staff

Cons: only a few seats outside

Delicious and cozy - Edit

Whenever I crave quiche, it has to be Freckles! They always have delicious coffees and desserts, but if you want to have a quick lunch the quiche-and-salad combo is the best :) It's also cozy and off the beaten track, and now there's a Veganz nearby :)

Pros: tasty food, excellent coffee, inexpensive

good deserts, average mains - Edit

had lunch here today and was a little disappointed.
a really nice cafe with lovely staff, just a bit limited. we had the quiche which was really good and by far the best main course. it was spinach and was really creamy with good pastry. we also had a panini with vegan cheese, and was bland. I had the special salad which was really bland with too much Mayo.
I'm really bored of places just ticking vegan Mayo or vegan cheese and that's it, just as bad as bland cafes doing meat with too much cheese and Mayo.
we had two cakes between the three of us, each were really really good.
I like the cafe, just think they need to make more effort with the panini and salads. if you do come here, get the quiche, it's great.

Pros: staff, nice space, cake

Cons: lack of choice

Great café - Edit

We went to Freckles for a late sunday breakfast/lunch. We had: paninos, pumpkin spiced latte, hasselnuss latte, brownie, oreo cake and black coffee. Everything was 100%! 10 out of 10! Highly recomended!

Pros: 100% vegan, Cakes

Cons: May be hard to find a place to sit?

a place to try - Edit

Wenn you dream of a classic cream cake (but a vegan version) that the place to go! they also have some gluten free cake. It is not the healthiest place to have a vegan cake (they use sugar, wheat and lot of soy) but it is really delicious and beautifully made. The staff is always really nice and the rooms are very cosy and nicely decorated. Great place to show "milk product lover" that alternative exist and that it is still delicious, even better.
I would love see them experimenting with less soy product and more gluten free sugar free version, because they are good at what they do!

Pros: good cake, nice cosy place, friendly staff

Yummy cakes! - Edit

Berlin has so many options and we are desperately trying to fit them all in! I had a salted caramel hot chocolate (big glass) which was one of the best hot chocolates ever. We also had a chocolate cake and a wildberry cake. Both were delicious.

Pros: area, service

The best vegan cakes ever - Edit

I have been to this place so many times that I can say all of their cakes taste amazing. I usually get 2 pieces at once because I am really missing that type of cakes in other countries. The cafe is quite small, in rush hours it might get cozy. The stuff is nice and always very open for a chat.

Pros: Delicious, Delicious, Delicious

Oh my goodness, it does not get better than this. - Edit

This small little vegan eatery is so amazing. My spouse and I had the best ever vegan cheesecake in the world. Truly. It was so delicious, even if you are not vegan, you would adore this. It was rich and creamy and tasted like the cheesecakes of an earlier time, when they were made with love and the very best ingredients.
We also had vegan quiche, yes vegan quiche. I have been vegan since 1990, my spouse since 1991. We have not had quiche in that long. It was fabulous. In addition, I had a mocha cake and he had a brownie, chocolate cake, and beet soup. (Yes, we are gargantuan eaters when we find vegan delectables. The service was great. The atmosphere sweet and cozy. This is a must if you are a vegan and in Berlin. This should be a must for anyone who wants wonderful food prepared with peace and love.

Pros: Amazing cakes, You can get vegan quiche!, Quaint and cozy

Best Cake!!! - Edit

I had the coconut cake and the cheesecake and the panino and the panino was really good and the coffee was too. but the cake was the best cake ever in the whole wide world! The coconut berry cake had the most amazing frosting I've ever had on a vegan cake (and i eat alot of cake) and the cheesecake was also incredible. Even though they have a small menu all the items were amazing. I would definitely recommend going here. The girl working was also super lovely. Go here!

Pros: Best Cake Ever , Very friendly staff , Good value

nice little lunch spot - Edit

Myself and boyfriend went here for lunch while very hungry on our trip around Berlin. About 10 mins walk from the nearest metro, it's in a good area for looking round too. I had the quiche and it was very nice. There isn't much to choose on the menu as its small, but it's good if you just want a quick bite or even a coffee and cake. We both shared a lemon cupcake and it was delicious. Good variety of tea and coffee

Pros: cute cafe in good location, nice food, reasonable prices

Cons: small so therefore limited choices

Nice place for a bite to eat - Edit

This is a great place for lunch. It is a pleasant cafe in a good and trendy location. I had the Paninni, which was tasty and satisfying. My girlfriend had the quiche which got good reviews too.

They also have a range of cakes. I had a cupcake which was delicious.

Staff speak good English

The menu is fairly limited for food but this is still a cool place to relax

Pros: Nice cafe, Good food and cakes, Well priced

Cons: Limited food menu, Small tables

Very nice place! - Edit

They serve pretty tasty cakes, tartes and quiches and the coffee's good as well. The place itself is cozy and clean, the staff's friendly and the actual location is relatively calm and not crowded which is a huge plus in Berlin. If you're not that far away you should give it a try for a snack or cakes'n'coffee.

delicious cake - Edit

I was craving some cake so I was lucky to find this café close by and wasn't disappointed. The Zupfkuchen (kind of cheesecake) was really good. It's a very nice furnished and decorated café, too. Staff seemed a little moody that day ):

Pros: Zupfkuchen, interior

Cons: moody staff

Like it very much! - Edit

I really like Freckles because it's so convenient for me to get there: I work in the Kiez. It's nice to have a cosy coffee not far from your working place.
They have really good cakes, although many of them are made of spelt flour, which is full of gluten, they sometimes have gluten-free options (like the Tiramisu which is really good). But otherwise, they aleways have 3-4 Cake sin display, and they are really good I must say. On the deli side, they have 2 different types of salads, and a panini that I never had because it's made with wheat ... The salads are a bit pricey for the quantity, I always get a bit hungry after that, but they make an amazing white sauce and you can tell if you have any intolerance or allergies so they adapt your dish to suit your needs, which I think is great.
They sometimes sell homemade Kraüter Mayo (Herbs mayo) or Remoulade sauce (great on potatoes salad) for 2€ which is such a fair price!
They make great coffee as well! Definitely recommend the place if you stop by in the neighborhood ! [Bergmanstr.]
The 2 gals here are also really nice ;)

Pros: great loc, lovely sauces and cakes, good coffee

Cons: not enough glutenfree, pricey

Disappointing - Edit

We visited Berlin recently and planned to visit Freckles after taking a recommendation by a friend and reading good reviews on Happy Cow. Photos on the Freckles website suggested that we would be met by a vast array of amazing cakes and lots of choice for savory food. In reality, there were three different types of cake and only two savory dishes: a panini with vegan cheese and zucchini (with or without salad) and a soup. There were no other food options. My partner and I both chose the panini (minus salad) and it was fairly average but reasonably priced at 4 euros. I'm unsure whether limited food options is the norm for Freckles or if we were just unlucky. Considering this I personally wouldn't recommend a trip here unless you happen to be passing by.

Pros: Fairly economical

Cons: Limited options

2 Responses

mmmhhhhhhhh :) - Edit

the cakes at freckles are amazing! I don't even know what else to say other than that I am mad I can't try all of their goodies at once. ;)

Pros: great variety of pastries, good service, fair prices

Great lunchspot - Edit

We searched this place out for lunch and really enjoyed our visit. The staff were friendly and the place was busy, so obviously doing well! Very limited food menu, but when you see the small space they are working with it's no surprise and makes perfect sense! The panini was (from memory) a simple vegan cheese and salad panini but it really was delicious. Our hot drinks were great and the cheeky cupcake I had to finish was divine :)
It's such a cute spot with such a well thought out design, I think we'll definitely make the effort to come back next time we're in town.

Pros: atmosphere, food!

The service was a bit cold - Edit

The place is very cozy and they have good atmosphere. The cake was nice but the girl who was serving was a little bit cold and reserved.

Pros: Cozy, Nice cakes

Cons: not smiling stuff

Tiny but tasty - Edit

Had dinner here after shopping in Kreuzberg. The place is very, very small, and only a few items are available for food. For example, the day I was there, they had one soup, one panini and maybe one or two other things. The soup was delicious, and the panini pretty good as well. However, when it comes to drinks and dessers, this place hits it out of the park. They make many different coffees, and they also make ginger tea from fresh ginger to order, cutting the ginger right in front of you. They have a glass case with several prepackaged vegan desserts. I had the tiramisu, which was probably the best I've ever tried - creating a good vegan tiramisu is a huge accomplishment. The best thing about this little cafe is the extremely friendly and kind service. The girls who work here actually seem to care about their customers. I paid for everything right away, but asked to have my tea after the meal, and they just said "Sure, just let us know when you want us to make it!" A really refreshing experience.

Pros: Friendly service, Great drinks, Great dessert

Cons: Small, can be hard to find a seat, Closes early

great place - Edit

really great cakes, good pannini and the best: very friendly staff (which you cannot expect everywhere in berlin).
Have been there three times and never left quickly.

If you wanna relax and have good food, freckles might be the place to go.

Pros: great cakes, good pannini, super friendly staff

great place, good coffee - Edit

I liked both the Latte Macchiato with almondmilk and the apple cream cake I was served here. It is also a nice place. The neighbourhood Kreuzberg is pretty cheap, compared to the prices around I would rather call it expensive.

Pros: great cakes, good coffee, nice place

Cons: no wlan, rather expensive

Fantastic Panini and awesome desserts - Edit

This cafe is really cute! Close to the almost all vegan sex shop Other Nature too, which is good to check out. My partner and I both had the panini which had cheese and veggies and it was AMAZING! You can get it with or without salad. The bread tasted like toasted garlic bread, it was delicious. Best sandwich I ever had. For dessert, I had a chai latte (I like them a bit sweeter so I added some sugar but maybe that's how they do them in Germany) and a cinnamon scroll which was incredible. My partner had apple cream which had LOTS of amazing cream on it. The cream was really good and it was awesome! Highly recommended.

They speak English too.

Amazing vegan cakes - Edit

This place has the best vegan cakes I've ever tasted, absolutely outstanding.

The atmosphere is really nice and the staff very friendly. Highly recommended.
Updated from previous review on Saturday August 03, 2013

Pros: Taste, Staff, Vibe

Cozy little café - Edit

We visited Freckles on a beutiful varm summersday and it was a perfect time to sit outside on the quite street and relax. The waitress was extremely helpful and nice.

They didn't have a huge selection of cakes, but the ones we tried were delicious, especially the mango torte.

The atmosphere was quiet and calm and it was an all around good experience.

Pros: quaint, calm

Weltbester Kuchen - Edit

Über den App 'Berlin Vegan' sind wir per Zufall bei Freckles gelandet. Wir haben noch nie so guten veganen Kuchen gegessen! Auch der Cappucino war sehr lecker. Die Atmosphäre sehr gemütlich und nette Bedienung. Wir kommen definitiv wieder, wenn wir in Berlin sind. Absolut empfehlenwert!!!

Pros: Tolle vegane Torten, Wohlfühl-Atmosphäre

best cakes in town. - Edit

I loved this place since the first time I sat there during July 2012. The cakes are really the best in town, the drinks are yummy and special and the service is great. This is a wonderful spot to bring non-vegan friends to, cause the cakes are so awesome and the overall environment is cool and not "hippie" like other vegan places (not that there's anything wrong with hippie!). I really love the panini and the soups and pretty much everything these ladies make. This is absolutely my favorite cafe in town and I always recommend it to anyone visiting or living in this fabulous city.

Pros: Great cakes, Pleasant atmosphere, Good neighborhood

Just wonderful! - Edit

A great place to relax, with a variety of superdelicious vegan cakes and friendly service! Another reason to say (now that I'm back home): "I wish I was in Berlin...".

Pros: great cakes, friendly service, nice atmosphere

Vegan cake in Berlin = Freckles - Edit

Really nice all vegan cafe. All cakes I tried on my visit were extremely good. Prices aren't cheap, but fair. Cafe is small so if it's busy it might get a little uncomfortable. Clean place with a good atmosphere.

Pros: quality, fair prices, clean

cakes and hot drinks - Edit

This is an excellent cafe for a bite to eat and delicious dessert, the salty caramel kakao hot drink is amazing. They had a limited menu: soup, panini or tart, we ate a spinach tart with salad - good quality but fairly simple - I think the cakes are the winning item, with much more variety. The staff were lovely, restaurant is very clean and has a warm quiet ambience. I think they have wifi.

Pros: yummy food, good ambience, decent prices

Cons: limited choice

Just delicious! - Edit

The panini and soup I ordered there was superb. Best vegan food I tasted so far in Berlin. Not that expensive. I'd say one star for cost. I plan to go back this week sometime. Highly recommended!

Pros: cost, good portions

Cons: smallish

Nice little cafe - Edit

I've only been here once recently after it opened and it seems a nice little cafe in a great location. They have a wide variety of baked goodies and the quality was good, although but not amazing. The sizes of the slices of cake were also a little disappointing, although that probably says more about my gluttonous appetite. I would probably visit again if I was in the area.

Pros: Wide variety of baked goodies, Great location, Cosy atmosphere

Cons: Not the best value, Small(ish) portions of cake

My personal highlight! - Edit

Berlin probably is the German vegan capital. Whenever I am there, I like to go to as many cafes as possible to indulge my sweet tooth.
I found the cake at Freckles to be the best I found in Berlin, so far. Also, the coziness of the place and the friendly staff made this cafe a highlight on my trip. The day after my return I already long to go there again, as soon as possible!

Pros: excellent cakes, cosy, friendly staff

Best vegan apple pie - Edit

Great vegan pies, cakes and desserts. They also have salads and savory snacks but didn't get to try it. The apple pie with vegan whipped cream was the best I ever tasted.
Nicely decorated and in a good neighborhood.

Lovely, cozy cafe - Edit

After lunch nearby, I decided to check out this place for some dessert. They only had 4 different cakes on display when I was there, which I thought wasn't very many considering it was a cafe. But quality is what counts. They also had pasta and sandwiches for those who are looking for a full meal, but I saw no quiches or soups.

I settled on a slice of scrumptious nougat cake with a glass of hot chai latte. The setting and atmosphere were so cozy, and together with the food, it felt like utter bliss. I had a really hard time refraining myself from getting the chocolate cherry cake too. The staff was lovely as well.

From a tourist's standpoint this place might be a little out of the way, but I can assure you, it's going to be well worth it.

Pros: decor, food, staff

Cons: location

new favorite spot in berlin - Edit

i'm a huge proponent of freckles... from the decor, to the delicious sweets, to the amazing quiches, all the way through to the incredibly friendly and adorable staff.

freckles is a must stop! i went there multiple times on my last visit to berlin, and was never disappointed.

Pros: tasty sweets, savory quiches, welcoming staff

Cakes delicious beyond belief - Edit

This likeable place in Berlin's hip Bergmannkiez is an oasis for vegans with a sweet tooth like me. There is absolutely nothing not to love about these cakes and tortes. I swear, non-vegans won't notice any difference to comparable products produced with dairy. There's also a variety of hearty meals like soups. bruschetta or salads to chose from besides cakes and desserts. Strongly recommended!

Pros: friendly people, delicious food, cozy atmosphere

well thought - Edit

I was at freckles 2 days ago and loved the atmosphere. Cozy, nice CD (all white and tuerkese). Two very friendly girls served me and gave me welcome feeling. They really care about what they sell you. It's vegan cake perfection. I would have expected more cakes, but I think it's because they are fresh open.

Go there, it's lovely.

Yummy!!! - Edit

I ate a lot of their cakes when they still offered them at Veganz and I always loved them. So I think it is awesome that they opened their own little cafe. Too bad I live on the other side of town and only went there once yet. I had some noodles and as desert I got my favorite - the Russian cheesecake. Both was really tasty. I really like the interior. It's nice and cozy. But as cute as this little cafe is it could be bigger. Near the end of my stay another costumer got mad because there was no free chair for her to sit and she asked me and my friends when we would finally leave. But that's really the only con about this place!

Pros: friendly staff, delicious cake , cozy atmosphere

Cons: not enough space for busier days

A-Ma-Zing cakes - Edit

The cakes at Freckles are really, really good. I#ve tried many of their creations when they still offered them at Veganz and was never disappointed. These girls really know how to make a good vegan cake! They were very friendly and know how to give their place a personal atmosphere.
I also enjoyed a very tasty lentil soup the other day, so they also know how to make soup. Looking forward to the planned breakfast options. Nice location too!

Pros: all vegan, delicious cakes, friendly owners

Cake was nice - Edit

I had the peanut butter and jelly layered cake and while the cake bit was a little dry, it was dense and surrounded by peanut butter and chocolate icing, thus making it delicious. :)

I was disappointed by the drink. I ordered a hot chocolate and it tasted like half-melted dark chocolate with cinnamon but it had a powdery after-taste and the chocolate had not entirely dissolved. Tasted like when you make your own at home and haven't stirred enough. There are so many good places for finding hot drinks made with soy milk in Berlin that I found it kind of expensive to pay 2,80 for something of which I consumed only half because, frankly, it was not really drinkable. I will return for the cakes for sure, but not the drink. I noticed another person nearby only finished half her latte, so I guess it's not just the hot chocolate that's not up to par.

The atmosphere is nice, cozy, and comfortable. It's a nice place to have a chat or work /read for a bit.

Pros: cake, nice atmosphere

Cons: drinks not up to par

Great place - Edit

We went here today and we had their lentil soup. It was so yummy! It came with slices of fresh bread. We also had a slice of the chocolate pie and crumb pie. It was to die for! This place just opened this month. Go try it, you will like it!

Pros: Easy to find, Friendly staff, Great Decor

Return to Berlin Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Freckles closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 12902 times since Mar 2012.