Fong's Pizza

515-323-3333

223 4th St, Des Moines, Iowa, USA, 50309

Serves meat, vegan options available. Pizza with Asian influence well as traditional pizza varieties. Menu lists 2 or so vegan pizzas (with vegan cheese), or build-your-own. Note the whole wheat crust contains honey. Open Mon-Sun 11:00am-12:00am.

Categories: Lacto, American, Pizza, Italian, Beer/Wine, Take-out, Asian, Fusion, Honey, Non-veg

First Review by Vegan Vagabond

Vegan pizza options - Edit

This place is definitely more exciting for the carnivorous, but it has similar vegan options to any other pizza place offering vegan cheese.

I've been there a couple times and have had the designated vegan pizza on the menu, and I've veganized a couple other menu items. I'm sure I'll be back.

There's more than one location, so you can avoid the downtown commotion if you want to (which tends to come with a wait).

Pros: Has vegan cheese

Cons: Lack of vegan appetizers

Fong's Pizza - Edit

Pizza is amazing, and there is no way I could go without it. Fong's Pizza has a Vegan Supreme pizza with your choice of olive oil or marinara and 3 toppings (they have a bunch of options--pineapple, potato, cilantro, etc) all topped with Dayia cheese. It was amazing, I got green peppers, onions, and garlic on my pizza.

The drawbacks are that the alcohol/drinks aren't marked if they are vegan. Additionally, there is only one kind of pizza that is available. Yes, it can be customized, but the menu is restricted for vegans.

Our server was friendly and helpful when he explained the menu to us. Overall, I really like the restaurant and will be returning in the future.
Updated from previous review on Wednesday April 06, 2016

Pros: Vegan Pizza, Friendly staff

Cons: Alcohol not marked as vegan or not, Not a lot of vegan options

Vegan pizza in downtown Des Moines - Edit

This is a quirky little pizza joint in downtown Des Moines. They used to have a couple of vegan pies on the menu, but, according to the bartender (I sat at the bar), a lot of non vegans were ordering them and modifying them with non vegan toppings, so they decided to go with one vegan pie on the menu and a "build your own." The only crust option for vegans is the white crust. The WW has honey. The only two sauce options are marinara or olive oil. They have Daiya cheese and lots of veggie toppings, but no fake meats.

I got a 10 inch with no cheese (I don't like Daiya), with lots of veggies, such as corn, spinach, broccoli, and others. It was fresh, hot and tasty.

Pros: Vegan options, Fair prices, Fresh ingredients

Cons: Only white crust, Only marinara sauce or olive oil

Return to Des Moines Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Fong's Pizza closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.