Ess a Bagel

212--980-1010

831 3rd Ave (at Manhattan), New York City, New York, USA, 10022

Serves meat, vegan options available. Bagel and sandwich restaurant. Offers around 7 tofu cream cheese. Its other outlet at 359 1st Ave shut in early-2015. Open Mon-Fri 6:00am-9:00pm, Sat-Sun 6:00am-5:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, American, Take-out, Catering, Non-veg

First Review by SynthVegan

they knew we were coming - Edit

my family and i are here in new york city and we have a tradition of always eating the famous new york bagels for breakfast. in previous years, we would just go to whatever place was nearest the hotel and get 4 bagels and cream cheese. My dad found this place that had a wide selection of vegan bagels and tofu spreads only 10 short blocks from our hotel. this could not have worked out better!
Today I tried the whole grain everything bagel with sun-dried tomato tofu spread and it tasted amazing. my expectations were blown away. keep in mind that this place is very popular and tends to be crowded with a long line, especially in the morning/breakfast time.

Pros: delicious, close to hotel

Cons: long lines

worth the wait! - Edit

Every time you go there will inevitably be a long line that you will feel you will never get to the end of before you die of hunger. Don't worry, friend. It moves fast and you will be there soon! They have about 5 different tofu cream cheeses to choose from- the scallion is great! Toasted bagels plus these are amazing. This place knows what it's doing and you get a real feel for authentic NYC bagels here.

Traditional NY bagel - Edit

it's great to try this famous food in the Big Apple offered with different tofu creams. bagels are good size for the price. the problem is the rudeness of the staff: it is apparently quite common in NY, but reached the top here...

Deserves 5 stars - Edit

Just had amazing bagels with wonderful tofu cream cheese. Overwhelming choices. Line up out the doors.

Cons: Very reasonable

great cheap bagels! - Edit

Chewy, flavourful bagels for a dollar each! Good tofu cream cheese in a few flavours too

Ess-A-Bagel - Edit

I've never had a bagel so amazing in my life! And to top it off, Ess-A-Bagel has 8 tofu cream options for either vegans or the lactose intolerant. The line can get long here, but trust me, you will be happy you waited! The bagels are dense and chewy and the flavorings are amazing. The vegetable tofu cream cheese was very tasty and complemented my everything bagel well. Had I found out about this place earlier during my trip, I would have demanded to eat here twice a day, it's that good. Do yourself a favor and get yourself an Ess-A-Bagel!

Return to New York City Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Ess a Bagel closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.