Eden Alley Cafe

Contact 816-561-5415

707 W 47th St (at Jefferson), Kansas City, Missouri, USA, 64112

Restaurant at the lower level of Unity Temple on the historic plaza. Offers an extensive menu that includes vegetarian, vegan, raw, soy-free, and gluten-free food with brunch served on Saturday. See website for menus. Has Wi-Fi. Wed-Sat 11:00am-9:00pm

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, American, International, Organic, Juice bar, Take-out, Catering

First Review by nychippie

Another good KC restaurant for vegans and omnivores - Edit

Having been vegan for more than seven years, I was delighted that my Kansas City omnivore friends were easily able to select three vegan/vegetarian restaurants for our meals out during my short visit. Eden Alley was one of these three. The menu offered lots of options, and we all enjoyed everything we ate. I had Avocado Vera Cruz - avocado over rice with chick pea pico and edenaise, with a side salad. As another reviewer observed, Eden Alley's menu (as well as the decor) felt a bit dated. Also a bit pricier for what you get than the other KC veg restaurants. And my iced coffee drink was quite watery. But overall a nice experience with fresh, tasty food, attractive environment, and very nice service.

Pros: Fresh, tasty food, Many menu options, Nice service

Cons: A bit dated, A bit pricey for what you get, Weak iced coffee

Fantastic! - Edit

We had a wonderful server. The day's special was polenta and absolutely delicious. We also had the potato burrito, which had a little spice, but we all loved the sweet potato that was in it too! The veggie burger was beautiful and tasty and the roasted potato side perfectly done.
We also ordered the all three appetizer dips. My favorite was the hummus- not too garlicky... my sister liked the curry dip. The third dip was okay, but not very outstanding.
All of us enjoyed the tomato bisque- rich and creamy- and uses milk products from a local dairy.
Desserts: not all of them are egg-free. But 4 of the 6 choices that evening were vegan. The torte and cupcake - both chocolate related were definitely sweet! The carrot cake had nice warm flavors, though the texture was a little too soft for my taste. My mom and sister reply enjoyed the bread pudding(not vegan) The portions were generous but little was left by the time we were done tasting!
A good place for a special treat!

Pros: Menu variety, Knowledgeable and helpful staff, Easy parking, close by

Still Great - Edit

Eden Alley has been going through a lot of changes in the last few years - due primarily, as far as I can tell, to a lot more vegan and vegetarian competition in KC. While that's great for diners, it's been tricky for this old standby who have been tweaking their menu, and offering discount gimmicks, to mixed results. They are still very much an old-school vegetarian/vegan restaurant - in the crunchy '70s vibe - in an era of much more ambitious fare.

That said, it's still a favorite that I visit frequently. We usually start with the vegan curried spinach dip, which is warm and spicy in your mouth and in your belly. For entrees, I tend to look to their daily specials and am rarely disappointed. The portions are hearty and not outrageously priced, and I wish I remembered to go to their Saturday brunch more often. The restaurant is best in the warmer months, when you can enjoy their lovely patio and the Plaza people-watching it enables; the big indoor dining room can seem cozy and warm on one visit, or echo-y and cold on another.

My only real complaint about Eden Alley is how present their food - it seems like half the menu comes delivered in a big pile in a bowl. Sometimes that's great; other times it seems like a watery, sloppy mess. The desserts, in particular, suffer from the presentation issue - at a time when folks are doing amazing things in vegan and gluten free baking, Eden Alley's desserts usually look lumpy and dense. To be fair, they do usually taste great, and I guess that's the main thing?

Pros: ample portions, flavor, great patio

Cons: presentation

Loved it! - Edit

Just went there today and it was great! I went there for lunch and had the sweet potato burrito, and I came back later for a brownie for dessert. The food was really delicious, and incredibly filling.

The staff are very friendly and knowledgeable of the menu (which I think changes from time to time). There is plenty to eat for vegans, and those on a gluten-free, raw, or soy-free diet. Everything's vegetarian so that's excellent.

The location is right near the plaza. It has a open atmosphere, high ceilings. There's also a play area for children.

I highly recommend coming here if you're in town.

Pros: Good food, Friendly Staff, Cool Atmosphere

Great Food - Edit

Eden Alley is a great vegetarian cafe with many vegan options. You could eat there many times and not order the same meal. We recently enjoyed a barbeque veggie burger special and a grilled tofu sandwich. Both were very good and filling. The host and waiter were attentive and friendly. They offer Saturday brunch and Friday evening is Date Night.

Pros: Very good food, Many vegan choices, Unique atmosphere

Yummmm - Edit

We sat on the patio, shaded by giant, old trees. Service was great and the menu varied and affordable. The food was well presented and delicious. Interesting beverages, too.

Pros: great food, pleasant atmosphere, good staff

Simply Great - Edit

One of the best (if not the outright best) places in the city for vegetarian fare. Great menu selection and options for gluten free and vegan options for items that are not already GF or Vegan. Staff is friendly and knowledgeable about the menu. Some outside seating which is nice. Unique atmosphere as it is in the basement of Unity Temple on the Plaza, so may be a little tough to find but well worth it.

Pros: Great food, lots of options for menu items-vegan, GF, wonderful staff

Cons: may be a little tough to find

Amazing! - Edit

I was in town visiting friends, who suggested this place. I had the most amazing smoky avocado salad; the flavors were excellent, it was well-put together, and it was full of many healthy ingredients. I couldn't have asked for a better meal, truly. None of my friends are even vegetarian (I'm vegan and gluten free), but they all loved their meals. Everyone left full and totally satisfied. I also split a piece of avocado cake (also vegan and gluten free) and we both loved it.

I appreciated that everything was labeled on the menu; it was very easy to know what I could or couldn't eat. The waitress was very friendly and gave spot on recommendations. The food was fabulous; I would go back regularly if I lived in Kansas City!

Pros: Great Food, Well-labeled menu, Lots of choices

Sinfully delicious;) - Edit

Had lunch here when I was in town for the Kansas City Storytelling Festival. The waiter recommended the tacos which were yummy. Neither of my two friends are vegetarian and they enjoyed their meals immensely. For dessert we had the sinfully delicious triple chocolate cake (I don't think that's what it's called but I like the name:). It was too, too good!

Pros: yummy, friendly folks

Cons: Washrooms seemed inaccessible for wheelc

Glad to hear it's changing; was not impressed - Edit

I went to Eden Alley 2 or 3 times a few years ago. I was definitely not impressed and only went back when other people really wanted to go there.

I'm glad to hear it's changed/changing lately, because the layout was tacky and they served fish on the menu, despite calling themselves 'vegetarian'.

The other part I found annoying was this: they had a some kind of Hare Krishna affiliation at that time, and those people get offended whenever vegans ask if something is vegan. "It is all blessed by Krishna" doesn't tell me if it's vegan, but that reply tells you they're offended that you are questioning their food. It became a chore to find out what was vegan.

There was one girl who worked there at that time who would let us ask what was vegan, but I never much cared for the place. The food wasn't great, it was a 'veg' restaurant with fish on the menu, and I didn't like the "don't ask what's vegan" vibe I got.

From reading the reviews, it's changing a lot lately; I also looked at their website, and that seems to be true. I hope that's the case; it might be worth going by, if you're in the area, and investigating.

However, in 2005-2006, I was not impressed at all.

Pros: Vegetarian

Cons: Hard to find, Difficult staff

Standard Veg Fare - Edit

Went here while on vacation. This place can be tricky to find since it's under the Unity church. I sat outside on their patio since the weather was perfect. The chairs are quite comfy and the garden atmosphere is quite lovely. Our waitress was super nice, a little too exuberant and chatty but I'll take that over grumpy. The agave butter that comes with the bread is just genius. The vegan bread, sourdough, didn't pair that well with the butter. I had the in-house made veggie burger, which was very good but a little too thin in relation to the bun size. Thicker patties please! I also had a side salad that was pretty standard. I ordered a slice of vegan chocolate mocha cake to go and it was rather disappointing. It was pretty dry and the frosting was too thin, I ended up pouring a little almond milk on it to make it more palatable (I hate wasting food). Overall, it was good/okay and I would go back to try other items on the menu. My mom went with me but didn't order vegan, she ordered the egg salad and loved it. So much so she went back a second time by herself.

Pros: Garden Patio Seating, Friendly Waitress, Dog Friendly

Cons: Lacking in vegan dessert options

Delish - Edit

I have been to Eden Alley several times. Every time I go I am blown away by not only the quality but the quantity of food. My non-veg friend love it too. Desserts are amazing. My fav entree is the Raul's Potato Burrito hold the cheese and substitute cashew cheeze. For dessert the raw carrot and coconut tart

Pros: Delish, Great ambiance, Friendly staff

Cons: a little pricy

Great child play area! - Edit

My daughter loves to go to Eden Alley, not to eat- but to play! The child play area is incredibly convenient. Bringing a toddler to a restaurant can be extrememly difficult, so I really appreciate the kid-friendly atmosphere. Unfortunately, several of the dishes are prepared with honey, which I don't eat. However, it is great to be able to replace cheese on almost any item with the Cashew Cheese!

Pros: creative dishes

Cons: a tad bit overpriced

Yum! - Edit

Great atmosphere, very friendly staff, quick service. It was my first time there. Had the falafel and it was SO good. Also had some lovely chocolate ganache. Love how vegan-friendly and adaptable the menu choices are. Went with an omni friend who enjoyed the tacos very much. Would definitely go again if I lived closer.

Special note: Agnostics and atheists need not be put off by its location adjacent to a Unity Center. The keyword is "unity." Unity is based in New Thought teachings. They neither preach nor proselytize and believe in living in harmony with all; regardless of background or belief system (however differing) :)

Pros: great food, good atmosphere

Cons: pricey (worth it for organic, local tho)

Eden Alley was my very first vegetarian/vegan restaurant and can I just say was/ am very impressed.
I first tried their Sweet potato burrito and then the next day I got their mushroom loaf, then I got it again and the following day and progressed to their Veggie burger.
I guess my point is that even picky eaters will enjoy this resturant. the atmosphere is very calming and the food i wonderful the service is also on point... I guess that's the reason I'm hooked :)

Pros: customer service, Great food, nice atmosphere

Cons: sort of hidden

Very pleasant experience - Edit

I really enjoyed my evening in Kansas City because of this place. They have an unusual vegan butter which I found was Earth Balance sweetened with a little agave on fresh bread. The menu is creative and changes nightly. I had a quinoa with greens and white grapes which was magnificent and some kind of delightful chocolate dessert. I'm surprised at the reviews that made an issue out of it being in a church. I'm not a church-goer, but first of all, it's Unity church which, if you don't know, is not your typical church-they're not going to be chasing you down with pamphlets or anything. Second, if you were blindfolded until you got to your table, you'd never know you were in a church. This is a restaurant, ignore the building. And if you're not intimidated by the word "church", there's a very nice bookstore on the other side of the building with primarily eastern spiritual philosophies. And they won't chase you down with pamphlets over there either.

Best vegan and vegetarian food in Kansas City - Edit

I cannot say enough good things about Eden Alley. Located in the Plaza area Eden Alley welcomes you right away with its open and visually interesting decor. The staff is always cheerful, helpful and ready to answer any question. This makes it the best place to take new vegetarians and vegans or your meat eating friends and family. The food is amazing! They feature a good number of stable dishes such as veggie burgers and veggie tacos, as well as a new and exciting daily special items. The menu is clear and easy to understand with vegan or how to make vegan items clearly marked as a few items do have cheese or honey. Everything is expertly prepared and full of flavor. Desert is Eden Alley's crown jewel. Their cakes, pies, and bars are crazy good. If you are there on a day they have the Mexican chocolate orange cake get it!

Pros: crazy good food, awesome staff, cool decor

Cons: parking can be hard, Tricky to find

My Favorite Place - Edit

I love Eden Alley! The menu changes all the time and always has plenty of vegan, raw, and gluten-free choices. Everything I have tried is delicious, especially the vegan desserts, and the portions are quite generous. The service is friendly, and you get to see an eclectic mix of patrons.

Pros: Delicious food, Great variety, Portion sizes

Cons: Lacking ambience, Location is easy to miss

Not churchy at all - great food! - Edit

As an atheist, I wasn't thrilled about going to eat inside a church. But WOW this place is worth it. First off, it's hard to find if you don't live in KC. If you go in the front entrance, head down a flight of stairs and wa-la! There is Eden alley. A true Eden within a church. I love the atmosphere! The food my fiance and I ordered was fantastic. The hummus is to die for. As vegans, this place had a great menu that told you exactly what is vegan and what isn't and almost all menu items can be made vegan, or have vegan substitute. They even have cashew cheeze! Despite all the other reviews, if you in town, go check out this place - and don't forget to order a vegan dessert! (They have a GREAT vegan chocolate and peanut butter cake =D)

Pros: Vegan desserts, organic and local , easy to identify what's vegan on menu

Cons: located in a church, hard to find if first time visiting , small hot tea pots

One dish is never enough - Edit

Prices here are a little high, but the portions make it worth it. Whenever we go, we can never choose one dish. We always have to choose their "can't decide-pick three" option. I have had/tasted the tamales, the lasagna, the sweet potato burritos, the soup, the sandwiches. I've yet to be disappointed. There are so many offerings I want to try, I can't pick one thing.

Its in a Church??? - Edit

Well at least they are trying:) I liked the chocolate waffle and mash potatoes. It did look like they had some good deserts. But I must say I was just here for breakfast. Why I was eating mash potatoes for breakfast I don't remember, I'm just a sheeptard anyway. So I'm guessing its better for dinner. Basically, if you live in KC go here if you don't, don't travel 4 hours or more to get here.

Not that great for vegans - Edit

I appreciate what they are trying to do, but I should have known when it was inside a church it wouldn't be up to my par. The menu is not that expansive. (plenty of eggs for you chicken killers) The food is so so. I really hate to be hard on any place that has vegan on the menu. The staff is nice, but its really not worth the visit. I only took a few bites of my brunch and opted to consume my calories elsewhere. It did look like they had a nice selection of vegan desserts. Give them a shot if you're an adventurous vegan and add another review.

Pros: some vegan food, vegan desserts, nice staff

Cons: bland food, smell, eggs galore

Great, filling food. - Edit

I visit Eden Alley often and enjoy it every time. I am surprised by the reviewer below that said you would need 5 entrees to feel full, because neither me nor my husband can typically finish one entree. The serving sizes are generous and you can order 1/2 sizes (which I usually do because I love their salads so much). I have not seen chicken on the menu in a very long time and have not noticed fish for quite some time, either. I go there knowing that I have my pick of the menu, unlike most other places in KC (or elsewhere). I've been to veg restaurants in other areas of the nation and I think Eden Alley is at the top of the list for great veg food.

The only thing that I have ever felt was not great about the place was the ambiance (they are in the basement of the Unity church), but they have recently redecorated and it's really given the place a lift.

Pros: Portion sizes, Flavorful food, Friendly service

not bad for kansas city - Edit

for kansas city this is an improvement! nice eclectic atmosphere as its right off of the plaza! has interesting options and a good vegan selection for kansas city.

Pros: clean atmosphere, healthy options, good value

Cons: slow wait staff

Return to Kansas City Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Eden Alley Cafe closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.
This page has been viewed 4862 times since Aug 2007.