Citron

Contact 03-64472556

2-27-21 Minami Aoyama, Minato-ku, Tokyo, Japan,

Billed as a higher-end fast casual restaurant, this is a Parisian style salad bar, located 1-minute walk from Gaienmae station in Minami Aoyama at 東京都港区南青山2-27-21. Vegan options marked on the menu. Set menus including salad with soup, bread or salad with soup and main. Desserts and wine available. English menu and English/French speaking staff. Opened July 2015. Open Mon-Sat 11:00am-11:00pm, Sun 11:00am-6:00pm.

Category: Vegan-friendly, Lacto, Ovo, Salad bar, Beer/Wine, Take-out, French

First Review by philbett

Awesome veg options in the heart of Tokyo! - Edit

I first learned of CITRON on Facebook only a few days ago and decided to visit as I would be in Tokyo for the weekend. As a vegetarian in Japan, there are generally very few options suitable for vegans and vegetarians. When I heard there was a new French vegetable bistro in Tokyo, I had to check it out.

Only a few minutes from Gaen-Mae (take exit 1A), the outside patio is welcoming and there are cute vintage French advertisements and lemon-themed displays on the ground floor. The first sight that greets you as you come in the door is the ultra- fresh salad bar. There are several lunch sets available including salad, quiche, and gratin, all reasonably priced at about $12. You can also choose to order off the à la carte menu. They also do takeout.

I opted for the salade Citron with the green pea soymilk potage and a glass of organic red wine; I was surprised by how quickly the order came out. The one thing I noticed was that the dish said it had wheat berries, but the salad I received had cooked barley instead. I loved that all the waiters and people working there were actually French; many of us were ordering in French which was it pleasant change from struggling to communicate in Japanese.

The upstairs seating area had many cute touches, such as vintage enamel signs and French music playing in the background. One thing to note is there is a (well-behaved) dog roaming loose on the premises on certain days, so if you are allergic to dogs or have small children, that is something to keep in mind.

My salad was extraordinarily fresh, and the green pea soup was delicious. The wine was excellent as well. They also have a cake and coffee service; I didn't try dessert on this visit, but the offerings looked delicious.

I greatly enjoyed my first visit and look forward to returning in the near future!

Pros: Quick service, low prices (for Tokyo), Charming ambience; great to speak French!, Convenient to metro (Exit 1A)

Cons: All seating / toilets on second floor

One of the best in Tokyo - Edit

As a tokyo resident, I've been to several vegan/vegetarian restaurants, but Citron was the most cleanest, friendliest place. Their theme is french, which is also quite a rare finding out of the veg restaurants in tokyo. Both their salads and quiches are awesome;soft texture deep in flavour with fresh veggies. I really enjoyed their chocolate cake, all quiches and desserts are a recommend! Also, it's really close to the station which is another good thing about this place.

Pros: English speaking staff, Very clean and reliable , Delicious

Cons: not the cheapest..!

great lunch choice! - Edit

I stopped by here for lunch one day was not disappointed! Very near Gaienmae station or a 7 minute walk from Omotesando. Bright, comfortable interior. Staff speak English, Japanese, and French. I had the vegetarian moussaka set, which was delicious but not heavy. Salads were vibrant, fresh, and delicious. Portions were ample for lunch. Definitely recommend if you're in the area.

Pros: fully vegetarian, reasonable prices, good quality

Excellent French / Vegetarian Salad Bar - Edit

I had the "quiche-set" which was fantastic. I am not vegetarian so I eat regular French food too but the great thing about the quiche here is that it has the authentic taste yet it is not heavy at all. for a person who has to watch what I eat, it is a wonderful option to have.

I also chose the soup which was excellent.
They served a roll with the soup and that was warmed up which is something many places do not do. The salad bar looked wonderful so I will definitely try that next time(there was a small salad with the quiche and that was very fresh).

The first thing you notice about Citron is that it is as clean as it gets. As you walk upstairs where the sitting area is, you notice that they took out the walls and replaced it with glass. As a result you can see everything in the kitchen. the kitchen is as clean as you can imagine.

The hospitality is also nice and it is just a great all-round friendly experience.

To end it all, I had an espresso coffee which is exactly how you would want it.

Pros: Authentic quiche, Good food, Very very clean

Amazing soup & salad set - Edit

Walking in, the staff were friendly and welcoming. The fresh quiches and crayons were lined up neatly under the display window.
The soup and salad set was delicious. The soup (carrot, chick pea and cumin) was vegan and full of flavour. The Citron salad was very fresh and satisfying.
The decor and atmosphere was relaxed and unique for Tokyo.

Return to Tokyo Vegetarian Restaurants & Health Food Store Listings
Has Citron closed, shut down, moved, or changed? Please use the Update Form.